Non drinker Cheers program?

sheila59

My guess (and it is just that) is that CCL's break even point is 15, after which they would start losing money. Why do I guess that? Because that is the limit CCL established and I don't believe it to be an arbitrary one.

I would guess using that logic that 16 is the break even point. This way someone who gets 15 drinks, they still have made SOME profit off them

If no one buys the Cheers program, but have some drinks, Carnival makes money. Their goal is not to break even on anything. The Cheers program break even point (for the cruiser) is 5 to 6 drinks (and Carnival does make money on those 5 to 6 drinks). As someone drinks more then the 5 or 6, Carnival still makes money based on the markup on the alcohol in the first 5 or 6 drinks. But their total profit gets smaller and smaller as the cruiser drinks more and more drinks. If you knew the actual markup on the alcohol in a single drink you could figure out where Carnival's break even point is. If I were to guess at that break even point for Carnival, it would be much closer to the 15 limit than to the cruiser's break even point of 5 or 6.

I think there is another consideration based on the posts I have seen since the cheers program was enhanced. Many people are now participating in cheers as they see its more of a deal, getting water, milkshakes specialty coffees and energy drinks. I think the majority of these people only normally spend a couple of hundred a week on these items, but now they are spending 400.00 as they believe they are getting a better deal. Even if people are now drinking more, they are spending double or more of what they used to, so carnival gets more money.

I think there is another consideration based on the posts I have seen since the cheers program was enhanced. Many people are now participating in cheers as they see its more of a deal, getting water, milkshakes specialty coffees and energy drinks. I think the majority of these people only normally spend a couple of hundred a week on these items, but now they are spending 400.00 as they believe they are getting a better deal. Even if people are now drinking more, they are spending double or more of what they used to, so carnival gets more money.

Yep and the increased cost to Carnival to get that extra $200 is probably varies between $25 to $50.

Why should they care? 15 drinks and the program is done for the day. I do not understand why they care if two people drink 7 and a half drinks or 15 people each have one. If it was unlimited drinks that would be different. And do you think that people have not passed on a drink to a friend in a different cabin? And plenty of people get around the restriction by the way they book names in multiple cabins.

A lot of people do not buy the program because their cabin mate doesn't drink or is pregnant, etc. Carnival is losing a sale there. I don't see the benefit to them to have this restriction in place. I just can't follow their logic.

Exactly the point, even with the restriction there are those trying to circumvent the rules. I would guess there are plenty of cabins where there are only two adults and not sailing with friends in another cabin, so they would be candidates for the I'll get one for you then go back for me business.

As to what difference does it make to Carnival, 2 people getting drinks for $50 or 2 people getting drinks for $100. With your thought of one person buying and giving one drink each to 15 people, well $50 paid for the program verses $750 if all 15 purchased.

Those who, like myself, do not purchase Cheers as their cabin mate doesn't drink or drinks very little, I don't think Carnival is missing out on a sale as most of those folks are still going to buy drinks and pay regular price for them, perhaps even more than if they bought Cheers.

Personally, I don't care how they do it but I do understand why they have the restriction. Bottom line, they're in business to make money and keep their shareholders happy. I'm pretty sure they have this well figured out to make them a profit.

We are on the Magic later in the year, I would like to purchase the cheers package, I'm sharing a room with my brother 26yrs old, he is a non alcohol drinker, never touched it in his life, I have read that everyone in the cabin over a certain age needs to purchase the package, is this true, could I not explain to Carnival?

Going with a group? Anybody else in the same 'boat'? Switch cabin mates. Onboard get new door keys. Happens all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Going with a group? Anybody else in the same 'boat'? Switch cabin mates. Onboard get new door keys. Happens all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Exactly why Carnival makes everyone in the cabin over 21 get Cheers. The schemers are always finding ways to work around the rules.

Exactly why Carnival makes everyone in the cabin over 21 get Cheers. The schemers are always finding ways to work around the rules.

This is actually one scheme that CCL endorses and knowingly participates in.

Sorry, but I don't see it as ridiculous. These boards are full of people looking for ways to circumvent the rules. How many threads have we seen on smuggling booze, smoking on the balcony, etc, etc? It would take one cruise before some start saying their cabin mate doesn't drink so only they should need to purchase Cheers. Once aboard they would be getting a drink, give it to the cabin mate and five minutes later, go get one for themselves. I know, some will say that wouldn't happen, but we all know it would, and so does Carnival.

if there is a way for someone to cheat the system there will be people who will do so. :(

I agree completely with this. We declined to purchase cheers because of its limitations before and just paid for drinks, but now with all the additional coverages, we're purchasing cheers for the first time. My husband is not much of a drinker but I know he's looking forward to milkshakes, specialty coffee, powerade and other bottled drinks that are included. I'm curious, though, to see if we will get our money's worth or if we should just pay up at the end of the cruise. I hate the suspense of not knowing how much I'm going to owe at the end of the cruise (and i'm not interested in constantly adding up or checking my sign and sail account throughout) so for me buying cheers is as much buying peace of mind throughout the cruise as it is buying drinks.

Edited by craycruzerlady

Milkshakes not a deal breaker. I doubt that those things will make the package more cost effective but they definitely make them more ENTICING for someone who is not a big drinker. As has been thoroughly discussed in this thread, for two people in the cabin to buy, this makes it nice for them to feel as though they are using the program as well. We purchase the program as a 'final bill insurance policy,' not as a fantastic deal.

We recently took a 5 night cruise on the Elation….i didn't get the Cheers package but i felt a bit bad for those who did, here is why: One of the stops was Half Moon Cay (beautiful place, loved it). They made an announcement on board that the Cheers package was NOT in effect for HMC. I just assumed it was private bars on the island, so i took cash. When we got on the island, it was all Carnival personnel and you could use your S&S card. I didn't understand that if you could use your S&S card, why Cheers wasn't in effect. Didn't effect me, but there were some who were annoyed, understandably so

Edited by First and Ten

Hi everyone

Something that those who think Carnival should allow only one person in a cabin buy the Cheers don't seem to mention/consider is that if Carnival did do this they would raise the price.

I believe other cruise lines that have that type of program charge more daily. How would that benefit all the people that are quite happy with the program as it is priced right now?

I also see that these other cruise lines often use these "freebies" as pricing chips (as well as specialty dining) . These perks are what put their fares in a ballpark with those offered by Carnival (especially if you are willing to buy a balcony or higher category). This hasn't been the Carnival way.

It is just like everything else they offer to sell you on the ship...if doesn't work for you, you don't have to buy it.

Hi everyone

Something that those who think Carnival should allow only one person in a cabin buy the Cheers don't seem to mention/consider is that if Carnival did do this they would raise the price.

I believe other cruise lines that have that type of program charge more daily. How would that benefit all the people that are quite happy with the program as it is priced right now?

I also see that these other cruise lines often use these "freebies" as pricing chips (as well as specialty dining) . These perks are what put their fares in a ballpark with those offered by Carnival (especially if you are willing to buy a balcony or higher category). This hasn't been the Carnival way.

It is just like everything else they offer to sell you on the ship...if doesn't work for you, you don't have to buy it.

Right now RCCL offers their drink package at a price point similar to CCL's. They do allow only one person in a cabin to purchase the plan, but they also aggressively enforce the no sharing rule. NCL's package used to be comparable in price also, but they recently raised their daily price to almost $80 a day (and if you do purchase the plan you still must purchase it for everyone in the cabin). NCL does quite often offer their drink package as a booking perk but they also charge you gratuities on what you would have paid had you bought the package (18%). I have not looked at other lines so can't speak to them.

Your last sentence is spot on.

I would be very surprised if CCL did not take this into account when it made its rules.

oh i absolutely believe they do. even with all of their rules in place people still find a way around them. maybe if they enforced their rules more uniformly and rigidly fewer people would be trying to break them.

We recently took a 5 night cruise on the Elation….i didn't get the Cheers package but i felt a bit bad for those who did, here is why: One of the stops was Half Moon Cay (beautiful place, loved it). They made an announcement on board that the Cheers package was NOT in effect for HMC. I just assumed it was private bars on the island, so i took cash. When we got on the island, it was all Carnival personnel and you could use your S&S card. I didn't understand that if you could use your S&S card, why Cheers wasn't in effect. Didn't effect me, but there were some who were annoyed, understandably so

because there is no connectivity with the systems on the ship so no way to ensure people don't go over their 15 drink limit. that is why cheers is not used on the island. a quick check of cc or the carnival website would let people know this fact before arriving at hmc.

I agree completely with this. We declined to purchase cheers because of its limitations before and just paid for drinks, but now with all the additional coverages, we're purchasing cheers for the first time. My husband is not much of a drinker but I know he's looking forward to milkshakes, specialty coffee, powerade and other bottled drinks that are included. I'm curious, though, to see if we will get our money's worth or if we should just pay up at the end of the cruise. I hate the suspense of not knowing how much I'm going to owe at the end of the cruise (and i'm not interested in constantly adding up or checking my sign and sail account throughout) so for me buying cheers is as much buying peace of mind throughout the cruise as it is buying drinks.

I like to prepay as much as possible. And this is a little less expensive to do so. Have bought Cheers! since the 1st time offered. Had a difficult time convincing husband this time. He has to watch his sugar intake somewhat now. So, won't be getting as many frozen drinks. I, roughly, not totally accurate as don't know the exact prices, showed him if he drank 6 beers,(he will) glass of wine at dinner,(will probably have 3)and 1 frozen drink, he would be well over the cost. And I am especially excited about the specialty drinks. Someone asked how many milkshakes or special coffees would one actually drink? Myself, I would not buy ANY, but since they are included will probably have 3 coffees and 2 shakes per day. And I love trying new things like all the martinis, and if I don't like them, wait 5 minutes and try something else. Before Cheers! we always had a hefty bar bill, well over the cost of Cheers! So, I feel it is a win-win. I don't have to "think" about how much each drink costs. Before this enhanced program, we only hit 15 one time. And we really tried!:D Plus,the one time I did,(or thought I did) I didn't know sodas weren't counted so.....Like you said, nice for the peace of mind. And as someone else said, it's not for everyone, so, if not, don't buy it!:)

because there is no connectivity with the systems on the ship so no way to ensure people don't go over their 15 drink limit. that is why cheers is not used on the island. a quick check of cc or the carnival website would let people know this fact before arriving at hmc.

Actually there is connectivity with systems on the ship….i used my S&S card to pay for these cocktails, and they were on the bill

Edited by First and Ten

If they wanted to make more money they would offer a non alcoholic only option. Why they expect those that don't drink to pay the same as those that do is beyond me. I am not going to pay $200+ a week for some milk shakes and water and have no interest in the drinks alcoholic or not. They need something mid range between the soda band and the alcohol package and have it open to everyone with limits in place if they want them. At $20-$25 a day it would be worth bottled water, shakes, soda etc but I'm not paying for alcohol I'm not drinking.

I'll stick with buying just my bottled water and keep the rest of my money.

Actually there is connectivity with systems on the ship….i used my S&S card to pay for these cocktails, and they were on the bill

actually, no, there is not connectivity with the ship from the island. those drinks purchased on the island are uploaded at the end of the day. they are not uploaded in real time. without real time connectivity they will not offer cheers on the island because they are unable to determine in real time who has hit their 15 drink limit. they most likely use a flash drive to transfer the data from shoe to the ships computers once all are back on board.

If they wanted to make more money they would offer a non alcoholic only option. Why they expect those that don't drink to pay the same as those that do is beyond me. I am not going to pay $200+ a week for some milk shakes and water and have no interest in the drinks alcoholic or not. They need something mid range between the soda band and the alcohol package and have it open to everyone with limits in place if they want them. At $20-$25 a day it would be worth bottled water, shakes, soda etc but I'm not paying for alcohol I'm not drinking.

I'll stick with buying just my bottled water and keep the rest of my money.

personally, i wish they would offer a beer and wine only option like rccl does. but they don't and i still like to cruise with carnival and therefore i live with those limitations without complaining. not saying you're complaining but there are many others that complain why carnival isn't more like this and that. in my opinion, if someone wants things the way other lines do them then they should just sail those lines and then they won't have anything to complain about.

personally, i wish they would offer a beer and wine only option like rccl does. but they don't and i still like to cruise with carnival and therefore i live with those limitations without complaining. not saying you're complaining but there are many others that complain why carnival isn't more like this and that. in my opinion, if someone wants things the way other lines do them then they should just sail those lines and then they won't have anything to complain about.

True, if they become too much like RCCL they become RCCL. :)