Reykjavik, Walking Distance from Port?

sabrefan

Just wondering what the port area in Reykjavik is like within walking distance? Are there restaurants, shops and pubs nearby? Will be stopping there in August while on the Koningsdam.

Just wondering what the port area in Reykjavik is like within walking distance? Are there restaurants, shops and pubs nearby? Will be stopping there in August while on the Koningsdam.
When we were there in 8/14 there was virtually nothing near the terminal.

If you're thinking about taking the HOHO bus, first ask at the ticket counter what its "recent history" has been. When we took it, the only bus did not have a working audio system on the upper level, and then half way around the first loop of the day it broke down and everyone had to walk back. We chose to walk to the Opera House and take a shuttle bus back to the ship. We got out money back, and the people at the ticket counter said they were considering stopping selling the tickets, because the bus had a lot of troubles recently.

However, that was almost two years ago, so maybe something has been done about the problem.

We were there last summer on the Voyage of the Vikings. There is a nice trail along the water front from the port all the way to down town. It was about a 20 minute walk depending on where you got on the trail. We took a cab to the downtown - then walked the town for several hours - then walked back to the ship - very nice day.

I was also on the Voyage of the Vikings last year and our beautiful two days in Reykjavik. There is a walking path into town but it is a good 20 to 30 minute walk. Keep in mind that once you get to town there is a hill climb to get to the fantastic church that dominates the skyline so your legs will get a workout.

If you plan to walk much once you get to town, then the walk into town is too much additional.

I don't know if it's still running, but times I've been there, there has been a shuttle from the dock into town.

If you plan to walk much once you get to town, then the walk into town is too much additional.

I don't know if it's still running, but times I've been there, there has been a shuttle from the dock into town.

The shuttle was running last summer. There was a nominal charge but I don't remember the amount.

HILL! that is the exact spot the Ho Ho bus broke down in the rain! All downhill for quite awhile for us to walk back. Church has a great organ and there is a elevator/stairs to the steeple/tower (think for a fee). Iceland is great though and Rek. is a great port. Nice people also. (Good gift shop at terminal).

Nothing in Iceland is inexpensive but the city is lovely, the people very friendly, everyone speaks English. Well worth a bit of effort and cost to get into town. Once there you can walk to from once side to the other in about 20 minutes.

I highly recommend the Viking Saga Museum which is about a 10 minute walk from the ship dock, on your way into the downtown area which has the Harpa Opera House. It was done is life-size dioramas which you walk through with English audio commentary as well as written interpretive plaques. Plus there is an area where you can try on Viking garb, weapons, mail, etc to take photos of yourselves, no additional charge. Loved it, actually went through it twice.

Check out this link

http://cruiseportwiki.com/Reykjavik

Reykjavik has an excellent tour system, there is an office at the bus terminal. We found Viator tours worked very well there.

Voyage of the Vikings is on my bucket list but we have stopped there twice as a stepping stone to Europe making for shorter flying and I find it a great place to visit. Enjoy, m--

Edited by RMLincoln

I'd highly recommend walking from the port to the downtown area if you are fit enough. It is a designated walking path, not a pavement and should take about 20-30 minutes. You'll walk past several sites that you might otherwise miss: Hofdi, The Sun Voyager and Harpa.

When you get to Harpa (take a look inside it is a stunning building, especially the view on main stairway) just continue walking on the path on the harbour itself where you'll probably walk past the Icelandic "navy", some fishing boats, Hotel Marina, the dry dock and continue all the way to the best Icecream shop in Iceland, Valdis.

To return walk towards Kristkirkja and then towards Hallgrimskirkja through the downtown area. I'd recommend walking up Skolavordustigur for the best view of Hallgrimskirkja.

Then just get lost for a few hours, wander about and notice Reykjavik's main distinction from other capitals (apart from its small size): No two houses look the same.

Thank you all for the advice. My wife and I are both fit and enjoy walking, especially in cities. The ship stays overnight and we will take the Golden Circle tour on our second day. We will take this path walk up into the city.

I really enjoyed the Golden Circle tour, especially the visit to the old parliament site but also the geysers and the Falls. It seemed to have something for everybody. The Falls were quite chilly, I was glad I had on a wind breaker/rain jacket, and a hat and gloves! We were there in October so you will have a different feel in August with longer days and warmer evenings. Enjoy, m--

If you have a chance, visit the Hofdi House where Reagan and Gorbachev had their Summit in 1986

Indeed nice, but as it was shown on tv at the actual summit, it appeared to be in the middle of nowhere but when you actually visit it, it lies completely surrounded, in the middle of the buildings at the shore side.