Free vs pay for excursions

We have only sailed on Regent once before they offered their included excursions. We will be doing a back to back Dubai to Sidney, Sidney to Auckland. While we have certainly chosen many of the included excursions and they look to be interesting, we want to make sure that we are not missing something special by passing up the ones that we need to pay for. I have tried to research the best I can, but I can get very little information about some of the choices. When I speak to Regent, they say they can' give me any suggestions. My travel agent certainly hasn't been to a lot of these places. I guess my real question is this. Do I assume that just because they are charging for an excursion, it suggests that it will be a bit more special. I do not want to have gone this distance and missed something that I will later regret.

Specifically the excursions that we are considering are Mungalla Aboriginal Cattle Station $179/person, Mt Tamborine 4 wheel drive in Brisbane $179/person, Sovereign Hill and Ballorat in Melbourne $99/ person, Borobadur in Indonesia,$129./person, Mt Hagen Cultural Experience in Papua $1099/ person and the Great Barrier Reef Adventure for $199/person.

Sorry for the long post, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

OK, floridaphilly, I can offer some first hand experience on a couple. We did the Mount Tamborine 4 wheel drive tour in Brisbane and really enjoyed it. Driven in a van-sized vehicle by a member of the family which owns the tour company, we had first class service all day and a pretty memorable time in spite of the weather. I know Sovereign Hill and Ballarat from visiting with friends and enjoyed that day too, but can't offer specific cruise tour advice beyond that it was a reasonably interesting "tourist" experience in all senses of the word. Borobadur, IMHO is a must see, but there are lots of steps to climb to get the best from it. A World Heritage site, it's up there with others on the list. Good call on that one. As I mentioned in my previous post, we did the same itinerary as you plan in 2012 and if you scoot around my blog somewhere near the linked entries I posted on your Mount Hagan question, you'll probably find the stories from Borobadur, Mt Tamborine and the other tours we chose recorded there too. On this occasion, we didn't do the Barrier Reef adventures, since we'd travelled extensively in Australia previously and had already been there, done that ;-) I'd put it on my highlights, though might consider the weather closely too as that can affect your experience hugely.

Hope that helps.

Actually Phyllis, I realise you are sailing a rather different itinerary to the one we did, though we have sailed Singapore to Dubai too. As a result, there are many of the same ports if in a rather different order sorry for my mistake. I need to read more carefully!

Phyllis, Gilly and I are good friends. In fact DW and I will visit her in the Cotswolds in August; so I venture this with some trepidation. Borobadur is a very difficult excursion. Although I agree a must see there are a lot of steep steps and heat. In addition if its wet and it is frequently it can be dangerous.

Now a general comment, the key to Regent's excursions is to see what you want. A "free" trip can actually be much better than a "paid" trip. The extra cost is usually a function of distance time and food. The money, however, doesn't guarantee a superior guide and in fact, although we don't look at pay or non-pay we would say the guides are about equal. The key is to see what you want.

Bill

"Do I assume that just because they are charging for an excursion, it suggests that it will be a bit more special. I do not want to have gone this distance and missed something that I will later regret."

During our 7 Regent cruises, we haven't had any bad experiences with the extra-cost excursions (some have been marvelous) but we choose based upon our likes and a comparison of what else is offered. So, "nope"!

Your TA should have been able to provide much assistance (I know mine would have). You have made a good start by asking on CC. I research on CC as well as use TripAdvisor.

"The key is to see what you want."

Bill is absolutely correct ;-) (where is the like button?) Whether included or paid for, the ultimate factor determining your decision will be based on what you'd really love to see and how determined you are to see it. I'd forgotten what a long day it was to Borobudur. I had totally wiped the crazy drive from my memory and though I'll never forget arriving back on board by means of various fruit boxes and crates, aided by several officers and the Captain, I had forgotten that it was on that same day that it happened.

We were tired but happy. Not everyone was ;-)

Borobudur is a must see. It is up there with Angkor Wat and Began. It is a long bus ride more than half way across the Island of Java. The bus stopped at a gift shop/restaurant about 1/2 way on both legs. They served a large buffet lunch at the site.

Sovereign Hill and Ballarat are somewhat interesting early Oz towns. I would not put it on a must see list. You can rent a car and drive up there on your own. Is the ship docking in Geelong or Melbourne? If in Melbourne I like just wandering around town and going to the Queen Victoria Market. Or rent a car and do a mini winery tour. If in Geelong, rent a car and drive the Great Ocean road. (One of the hottest days of my like was in Geelong in January)

Brisbane. If they offer a trip to the "Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary" I would take it, or try to go there on my own. There is a boat that can take you there from downtown Brisbane up the Brisbane river. Beside Koala's they have open parks with roaming kangaroos and wallabies. Brisbane city itself is not all that special.

J

Bill, below is Regent's current Brisbane and Lone Pine excursion for our January Voyager Auckland to Hong Kong voyage.

Based on this thread we changed from Crocs and Wildlife to Lone Pine and will sign up very early Tuesday morning.

BNE-004 HIGHLIGHTS OF BRISBANE & LONE PINE

Tour Price: $0.00

February 06, 2017 08:30 AM, 01:30 PM

Date:

Brisbane is the capital city of the Australian state of Queensland and is the country's third largest city. The original settlement began as a penal colony, and during World War II, served as the South West Pacific Headquarters for General Douglas. It was only after the war that it gained its prominence as an important urban center. Your tour will give you a glimpse into this relaxed, friendly city and all it has to offer, beginning with a view of historical Brisbane.

Leaving the city behind, you will next proceed to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary for a self guided visit. This is the world's first and largest koala sanctuary, and allows you the opportunity to get close to over 130 free roaming koalas in a beautiful, natural setting. While the Sanctuary is home to kangaroos,wallabies, sheep dogs and other unusual animals such as the emu, Tasmanian devil, wombat, dingo and kookaburra, the endearing koalas remain the main attraction. You also won't want to miss the opportunity to have a souvenir photo taken cuddling one of the Sanctuary's adorable koalas. This photo is optional and not included in the tour cost.At the conclusion of your tour, your motor coach will return you back to the ship

Edited by WesW

We did this Regent cruise 2 years ago. I don't remember much about Brisbane but I recall our Lone Pine tour vividly - it's a WOW. The koalas are great but there was much more. It's a terrific photo op location. Really fun!

I don't recall if we paid for this excursion or not, but, the Australia Zoo in Brisbane is the best we have visited in the world (Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter was affiliated with this zoo). It is amazing - you walk amongst kangaroos, pet koalas and the birds are in a huge inside enclosure flying around. We absolutely adored this place.

In terms of paid vs. included excursions, it depends upon the part of the world you are in. Included excursions in Australia , Israel, Egypt and India were wonderful while they were mostly miserable in Europe. The one excursion we did not like in Australia was to the Great Barrier Reef (too many people, too little to see).

The negative part of taking an included excursion is that there can be multiple buses going to the same places. When they make a restroom stop, there are hoards of people and long lines. We are very careful before we book an included excursion and tend to cancel more than we take due to less than wonderful experiences. Unfortunately, too many passengers take Regent cruises for "free" excursions. The Regent Choice excursions tend to be much better (but this is not a guarantee).

Just my two cents.

Wes, You will not regret it. What the description does not say is that in addition to what's mentioned the Sanctuary has a duck-billed platypus, something we had never seen.

A respectful Memorial Day Greeting to you and Ida,

Bill

Thanks Bill looking forward to the Lone Pine excursion considering we spent a day in Brisbane City last year on Silversea.

Bill, am trying to decide on a four hour biking tour of Sydney (we visit 11 Sydney highlights on this Bike tour or an 8 hour Blue Mountains excursion (about $60 more than the bike tour) that Regent offers--we reserve our excursions early this morning. Do you (or anyone else who has been to Sydney) have a recommendation (i.e. Bike tour or Blue Mountain excursion)

And Bill, most importantly, tho every day is Memorial Day for us Veterans--a hearty respectful Memorial Day to Wendy and you.

We went to the Blue Mountains. Nice drive, beautiful scenery, can take funicular into the canyon and see the sisters. But Sydney is nice too. We really enjoyed the waterfront and the opera house.

Thanks Bill looking forward to the Lone Pine excursion considering we spent a day in Brisbane City last year on Silversea.

Bill, am trying to decide on a four hour biking tour of Sydney (we visit 11 Sydney highlights on this Bike tour or an 8 hour Blue Mountains excursion (about $60 more than the bike tour) that Regent offers--we reserve our excursions early this morning. Do you (or anyone else who has been to Sydney) have a recommendation (i.e. Bike tour or Blue Mountain excursion)

And Bill, most importantly, tho every day is Memorial Day for us Veterans--a hearty respectful Memorial Day to Wendy and you.

Blue Mountain trip is interesting but not spectacular. I been to Sydney many times and their is much to see in the City and it surrounds. So unless you feel like your done with the City, I would pass.

j