Washing Machine

Emily3

This sounds a rather strange question but I'm new to cruising and I don't want to pack unnecessary items. On the Boudicca I have read there are washing machines, do I need to bring my own washing powder/gel etc?

Ships also offer to do the laundry for you, by the piece or bag. Be very careful of ship laundry. Send out only sturdy, pre washed clothes. Ship use industrial machines. Your clothes get put into a mesh bag with other mesh bags. Washed on hot, the sent thru a hot mangle for slight pressing and drying.

There have been a few, rare instances of issues using the self laundry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A deal breaker for us, as we're doing longer cruises, is having a self-service laundry on our ship (or hotel). I prefer allergen-free detergent as my daughter is allergic to regular detergent and many of our clothes prefer to be air dry or lightly machine dried. A ship's laundry service won't work for me.

Your choices of a cruise line will be significantly limited if a self service laundry is necessary. We usually take 14-19 day cruises and do just fine with washing delicates and PJs in the sink and drying them in the shower area. We send a few things to the ship laundry (maybe jeans and khaki pants). We just survived almost a month on a TA and then in Europe with this method and only three items were sent to the laundry.

Yes, as a past regular user of 'Fred' I can confirm there are 2 self service laundries on board. The detergent is automatically dispensed and you can't stop it. In all there are about 12 machines. It costs £2 per load. The tumble driers are a disaster, will only dry small amounts at a time, but they are free!

The best laundries I have found are on Viking Star absolutely amazing and completely free.

Yes, as a past regular user of 'Fred' I can confirm there are 2 self service laundries on board. The detergent is automatically dispensed and you can't stop it. In all there are about 12 machines. It costs £2 per load. The tumble driers are a disaster, will only dry small amounts at a time, but they are free!

The best laundries I have found are on Viking Star absolutely amazing and completely free.

Thanks very much your reply is really helpful. Don't have to pack the detergent!

I fold an old washcloth into a Ziploc sandwich bag, then add liquid detergent - I like Woolite, because it rinses easily. Don't overload, you want it all to soak into the cloth so it doesn't leak.

For sink-laundry, use the cloth (if needed) to scrub stains or skid-marks, and then swish in the sink along with the clothing items.

For washer laundry, pre-treat the stains with the cloth, and toss it in the load. It's probably less detergent than you'd use at home, but plenty for items you're washing.