suggestions for things to do in Honolulu

denny514

If you read down the board, there are many ideas. Pearl Harbor and the other sights there (may not be interesting to a non-US citizen). North Shore. Hiking Diamond Head. Just being on the beach and warm climate of Hawaii, particularly in your winter. Many things discussed here.

Too many to list, but here are some favorites:

At Pearl Harbor: Valor of the Pacific Museum and USS Arizona Memorial tour, USS Bowfin submarine, also take the free shuttle over to Ford Island for the USS Missouri battleship tour and Pacific Aviation Museum.

Bishop Museum for Hawaiian culture and history in a historic building.

Polynesian Cultural Center is a great experience, be sure to take in the dinner show. It's next to Brigham Young University's Hawaii campus and their students are most of the employees at the Center.

Kualoa Ranch for more varied activities in a rural setting- ATV tours, small bus tours of WW II bunkers and movie sets. Also horseback riding and a private lake and beach tour. It's a touristy place but interesting.

In addition to all the great suggestions listed already, I will add Manoa Falls. It is a nice little hike that is less than a mile. I believe it only took us about 15-20 minutes to drive there from Waikiki. It is said to be the wettest spot on Oahu and it can get muddy in spots, so wear shoes you don't mind getting dirty. Also make sure you bring bug spray.

first time spending a few days in Honolulu before getting onboard.....anyone give suggestions??

It would help to know your age, interests and general shape.

Unique things on Oahu include ridding an outrigger canoe at Waikiki, snorkeling in a collapsed volcano caldera (Hanauma Bay), catamaran rides, hiking another volcano caldera (Diamond Head), farmer's markets with local produce and more, it just depends on your answers to the questions.

In addition to other activities mentioned two of my favorites are the Iolani Palace, and a visit to Shangri La with the Honolulu Museum of Art. Both beautiful and fabulous historical sites with interesting tours. I prefer the Iolani Palace to the Bishop's Museum because of size and the fact that you are visiting the only royal palace in the U.S. So many fun things to do on Oahu, so little time. It really does depend on what you like to do. We like to do it all. I don't know if you have also thought about spending a couple nights on the North Shore. Have fun, Cherie

I concur the Palace is worth a visit. Shangri La residence is very interesting if you want to see an American woman's interpretation in the 1930s of Middle East art and decor. It does require advance reservations through the art museum.

If you are there on a Saturday morning, go up to the Kapiolani Community College's Farmers Market. Not that far up the hill towards Diamond head from Honolulu. Lots of good quality local foods, products, crafts and some amazing food to munch on. It gets crowded, but so much fun. I've bought some small bags of single farm, organically grown, shade grown coffee beans that I took home.

If you are staying down in Waikiki, take a healthy morning walk up to Diamond Head Market, grab a tasty Blueberry Cream Cheese Scone, and walk the effects of that heavenly concoction back down the hill to Waikiki;) They have more than Blueberry, but I liked those the best. (you can drive or take The Bus, but I feel better when I eat that scone, knowing that I did some exercise to get it!) I stayed at Hilton Hawaiian Village, at the far end of Waikiki, and it was a nice 45 minute walk each way.

It would help to know your age, interests and general shape.

Unique things on Oahu include ridding an outrigger canoe at Waikiki, snorkeling in a collapsed volcano caldera (Hanauma Bay), catamaran rides, hiking another volcano caldera (Diamond Head), farmer's markets with local produce and more, it just depends on your answers to the questions.

I'm 50 oh that's hard to type!!

We are active but we do not run marathons. We like to do water activities, however we also like to experience the culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are there on a Saturday morning, go up to the Kapiolani Community College's Farmers Market. Not that far up the hill towards Diamond head from Honolulu. Lots of good quality local foods, products, crafts and some amazing food to munch on. It gets crowded, but so much fun. I've bought some small bags of single farm, organically grown, shade grown coffee beans that I took home.

If you are staying down in Waikiki, take a healthy morning walk up to Diamond Head Market, grab a tasty Blueberry Cream Cheese Scone, and walk the effects of that heavenly concoction back down the hill to Waikiki;) They have more than Blueberry, but I liked those the best. (you can drive or take The Bus, but I feel better when I eat that scone, knowing that I did some exercise to get it!) I stayed at Hilton Hawaiian Village, at the far end of Waikiki, and it was a nice 45 minute walk each way.

That sounds lovely. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums