Hi from the Royal

Murphey

Murphey, thanks for your semi-live and answering all the questions. We are on for 14 days starting in July so following along closely.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Istanbul.

Diana

Thanks for the info on for all nites and CC parties. We're doing a 7day Rome to Barcelona, and then a 7day Barcelona back to Rome in August. Some cruises are meant for relaxing, others not so much. These are port intensive cruises - more people, less time on the ship, longer days of sightseeing. I know that a M&G after muster is pushing it, but don't really see a lot of "free time slots", so just going to try it and see how it works out 😄! The roll calls are a bit different as some are on for 7 days, some 14 and others 21. Also you have to be careful which port some are planning excursions for as some places can be visited from numerous ports, but it should be interesting!!

We all just got a well worded letter from Captain Nash regarding Istanbul. Bottom line is that we are going. Yay!! We have complete faith that the decision was made with our security and safety in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are on the Royal this fall, with Istanbul as one of our stops.

I don't understand the decision by Princess to still stop there. How many bombings does it take to decide it is unsafe? If Turkey cannot protect their military personnel (killed in the latest bombing), how in the world can Princess assure the safety of their passengers?

I hate to miss out on seeing the sites in Istanbul, but at this point we are planning to stay on the ship.

Hi! Thanks for your updates. I am planning to do this same cruise next summer with my daughter. As I follow prices this summer, it is actually cheaper to buy the two 7 day cruises as opposed to the 14 day cruise (at least when I buy them a couple months out due to not knowing work/school schedules before that). I was wondering if you were familiar with anyone on board that bought a B2B cruise and how was that handled on the turnaround day in Rome? I have read on the boards that they generally have a mid-morning meeting time for those staying for the next 7 days that bought the B2B, but we want to be off the ship as early as possible and out enjoying Rome. I have heard that a letter is delivered to the cabins of those doing the B2B and was wondering if it is possible to disembark early, go through customs yourself and then reboard later in the afternoon and not go to their mid-morning meeting where they run you all through customs at once? If you don't know of anyone that bought the cruises as two 7-day segments, no worries, just thought I would ask. From the boards, I understand that it is handled differently in different ports, so thought I would chance that you knew of someone who had done it it Rome.

Really enjoying your updates and glad that you are getting to go to Istanbul. We visited there last summer about a week after the bombing at the police station and all was quiet. I didn't feel any more unsafe than other places...you always have to be aware and then enjoy yourself. Have a great rest of your trip :)

Thanks for the good news that Istanbul will be a port stop. Cruised there in

2010 and was one of the most beautiful sailaways I can ever remember. Just

can't stop living waiting to see what might happen.

Boarding June 25 and can't wait. I heard there are port strikes in Athens and

ships are considering if they should dock there. Any talk about that?

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Thanks.

tomatospice....

I've done many B2B's and it's easy. You will get a new cruise card about a day before the end of your first leg. Go on your tour and when you disembark you will use your old cruise card. When returning you will use your new card to reboard the ship.

The only time you have to meet is if you don't disembark, so they can check

you out with the old card and in with the new card.

Be sure to try to get the same cabin for both voyages. If not, you will have to

change cabins on turn around day. Your cabin steward will help, but it's probably not something you want to bother with when going on an excursion.

Pam

Edited by EightFurryPaws

We have 3 turnaround days on this cruise (4 weeks). They are just treated as a port day. No meetings to clear ship like in the US. You will get an in-transit card and that's all you need.

Glad you get to see Istanbul Murphey.

The sail in and out is up there with Venice. Don't get lost in the Grand Bazaar!

Are there fewer kids on your second week?

As for the B2B question we are booked for 14 nights (30 July Athens to Barcelona) and the Rome stop will be just as any other regardless of some passengers embarking/disembarking.

Istanbul was absolutely wonderful. Gorgeous and friendly. I think this has been our favorite day!!!

CC party was last night. Funny. The 3 top passengers from last week didn't make the top 3 this week. But the MTP party cutoff was around 300 days.

I don't know if I mentioned this before but the passenger mix on these trips have been lovely. Lots of interesting people from all over.

Formal night tonight. Free baggage when flying internationally makes formal night easy. Long touring days is more of the problem!! [emoji27]

Were you serious about the installation of a center staircase?

Actually yes! That was the word from the Captain. It's already there, they just have to open it up.

Actually yes! That was the word from the Captain. It's already there, they just have to open it up.

There is a lot more to do than just opening up the stars because they are not finished like a passenger area, but they are there.

Thanks Murphey and Pam for the answers to my B2B question. I am happy to know that we can disembark at will in Rome (Civi) and reboard at the end of the day with our new card. Sounds easy as can be :)

Glad you had a wonderful day in Istanbul, Murphey. It was my husband's favorite stop on our trip last summer.

They could just open it up today & finish it off during dry dock. ;)
Not really, the stairway opens fully into crew areas on each deck. There is a significant amount of work to do in the currently scheduled 2 week dry dock. The lack of center stairs does not impact me because I shouldn't climb stairs any more than absolutely necessary. I hope the Captain is correct as it would be good to get central stairs on the Royal and Regal so that people stop complaining [emoji6] Now we just need to get them to add the center stairs to the Grand after almost 18 years in operation [emoji33]

Athens today. Port strike. Princess crew did a great job handling all the luggage themselves.

Voice of the Ocean has been fun. Lots of talent on board

Tenders into Mykonos drops you right into town. Very convenient

Any more questions!?

Thanks Murphey for the updates

Please can you confirm that the ship is still lively at midnight. I'd hate to get that ghost ship feeling soon after 11 pm. I know these port intensive cruises mean that passengers feel the need to get an early night but we prefer to just chill and go with the flow.

I'm laughing!!! We are definitely not the ones to ask!! We're usually done by 11. Club 6 seems to be lively when we go by. We are friendly with the bartenders in there. We will ask them today how late they are remaining open.

Not really, the stairway opens fully into crew areas on each deck. There is a significant amount of work to do in the currently scheduled 2 week dry dock. The lack of center stairs does not impact me because I shouldn't climb stairs any more than absolutely necessary. I hope the Captain is correct as it would be good to get central stairs on the Royal and Regal so that people stop complaining [emoji6] Now we just need to get them to add the center stairs to the Grand after almost 18 years in operation [emoji33]

From what I've see the doors that lead into the center stairwell allow access to only the stairs & the crew area are behind another set of doors, Allowing people to use the stairs at this point wouldn't interfere with any of their functions and give use of the stairs until it can be converted in dry dock.

Murphy,

Did you do a private or ships tour in Istanbul? Do you stop in Kusadasi? I am looking forward to the Royal in the fall.

Do you know how long Captain Nash will be in command?

I love hearing that the tenders take you into town in Mykonos. That is convenient.

Have a great cruise and thanks for the info. Alice

Alice: we did a ships tour in Istanbul that included a Bosporus Sea tour. We enjoyed it. In retrospect, I would not hesitate to do a private tour. The people are very friendly and happy to have you there.

I'll ask Captain Nash at this weeks party how long he'll be on. He's great

We were in Kusadasi last week and we'll be there again this week. We are headed to the beach this time as we had been there many times.

Just booked the balcony dinner for tomorrow night. We will be anchored in Santorini until after 9. Should be lovely!

Sail away from Athens is gorgeous [emoji3]

Edited by Murphey

From what I've see the doors that lead into the center stairwell allow access to only the stairs & the crew area are behind another set of doors, Allowing people to use the stairs at this point wouldn't interfere with any of their functions and give use of the stairs until it can be converted in dry dock.
You might be correct. We did not use the center staircase but rather a different crew only staircase forward of the forward elevators and stairs. That staircase definitely was wide open to the surrounding crew areas but the center staircase might be different.

Hi Murphey

Enjoy Santorini. It's one of our favourite destinations.

Please can tell us what happens on the B2B regarding fixed dining. Does Princess try to put people on the same table for the 2 week duration or should we expect new dining companions the second week?

btw are there fewer kids on board now compared to your first week

Thanks

Peter