RC Cancels Rhapsody Sailings (April 29 2017)

We have VI bookings which are 10 and 11 nighters!!! Now this????? BTW, the Canada sailings also showing when pull up VI and Sept-Oct 2017 sailings.

They better not book our cabins for the 7 nighters without contacting us first but hopefully will stay 10 and 11 nighters. What a mess and why they have all the different itineraries posted on their web site is beyond me!!! Wait, I forgot it's RCCL IT.:(

We were booked for a GS on Rhapsody on November 12, 2017. Here is the email I received this morning:

June 2, 2016

Dear Valued Guest,

We recently announced the sale of Legend of the Seas, which will take effect in early 2017, and has subsequently made it necessary for us to adjust some of our related itineraries. Please know that we fully recognize that this is not a matter of simply moving dates and ships. We realize your vacation is precious and we want to do everything we can to ensure it is exceptional.

To that end, we are sorry to inform you that due to a necessary change to our fleet deployment, your voyage on Rhapsody of the Seas, on November 12, 2017 has been cancelled. We understand the disappointment this may cause, and will have one of our associates reach out to you to select a new voyage for your vacation.

As a valued guest, we’d like to present you with the following options:

Rebooking on one of the select sailings:

• Select Sailings:
  • - Rhapsody of the Seas, November 26, 2017
  • - Rhapsody of the Seas, December 3, 2017
  • - Rhapsody of the Seas, December 10, 2017
  • If booking into the same stateroom category, we will protect the rate at which you are currently booked or confirm the best available cruise fare, whichever is lower
  • Price protection is limited to the cruise fare only. Taxes, fees, gratuities and other non-cruise fare items are subject to prevailing rates regardless of the sailing chosen
  • $200 onboard credit per standard stateroom, $400 onboard credit for suites when you rebook any Royal Caribbean sailing.
  • If you incur a fee due to the change in your airline reservations you will be reimbursed up to $200 per person, for Domestic Flights & $300 per person, for International Flights.

Rebooking on any other sailing

• Prevailing rates apply, with no price protection available
  • $200 onboard credit per standard stateroom, $400 onboard credit for suites when you rebook any Royal Caribbean sailing.
  • If you incur a fee due to the change in your airline reservations you will be reimbursed up to $200 per person, for Domestic Flights & $300 per person, for International Flights.

If you are unable to re-book by June 22, 2016, a full refund for the amount paid on your current reservation will be processed to the original form of payment. Please note future compensation will not be available due to this circumstance, including air change fee reimbursement.

I called to rebook for the December 3, 2017 cruise and was told that I could only get $100 OBC instead of the $400 promised in the email. She put me on hold and came back and said that she confirmed it was only $100. I said that I wasn't happy with that answer since the email very clearly said I would get $400 OBC. She had me forward the email to her, then put me on hold again. She came back, apologized and said that, yes, it WAS $400.

I can't complain about how this turned out because the fare is almost $700 cheaper and we're getting $300 more OBC than we would have with our original reservation.

I was booked on Legend for March 31, 2017 to May 4, 2017 for 3 B2B from Sydney and ending in Singapore. However since the sale of Legend I got the email today that my cruises are cancelled.

A friend of mine talked to someone at Royal Caribbean and they told her that Rhapsody will be doing a very similar itinerary that Legend was doing around the same time. I was going to call the Redeployment Desk and ask but just received a call from Royal to confirm my receipt of the email. I asked her about Rhapsody taking Legend's place and she said she didn't see anything right now, but check back on Monday. So.... not sure what they are gong to do!

I know that the sailing from Sydney to Hong Kong has been pretty much sold out for a while so hope that I get first choice to rebook. But have a feeling I got to just watch it and call in fast!

We were booked for a GS on Rhapsody on November 12, 2017. Here is the email I received this morning:

I called to rebook for the December 3, 2017 cruise and was told that I could only get $100 OBC instead of the $400 promised in the email. She put me on hold and came back and said that she confirmed it was only $100. I said that I wasn't happy with that answer since the email very clearly said I would get $400 OBC. She had me forward the email to her, then put me on hold again. She came back, apologized and said that, yes, it WAS $400.

I can't complain about how this turned out because the fare is almost $700 cheaper and we're getting $300 more OBC than we would have with our original reservation.

Good for you! Wish they had offered us alternative sailings.

I was booked on Legend for March 31, 2017 to May 4, 2017 for 3 B2B from Sydney and ending in Singapore. However since the sale of Legend I got the email today that my cruises are cancelled.

A friend of mine talked to someone at Royal Caribbean and they told her that Rhapsody will be doing a very similar itinerary that Legend was doing around the same time. I was going to call the Redeployment Desk and ask but just received a call from Royal to confirm my receipt of the email. I asked her about Rhapsody taking Legend's place and she said she didn't see anything right now, but check back on Monday. So.... not sure what they are gong to do!

I know that the sailing from Sydney to Hong Kong has been pretty much sold out for a while so hope that I get first choice to rebook. But have a feeling I got to just watch it and call in fast!

Yeah I think whoever said that is wrong.

Rhapsody is pretty much booked up until April of 2018.

Europe from May until October 2017, then a TA, then 7 night sailings from Tampa starting in November.

Good for you! Wish they had offered us alternative sailings.

I read your post above. That really stinks. Royal should have offered you price protection AND let you keep your $190 in addition to the new OBC. I would have a hard time rebooking. I hope you and DH come to the decision that is right for you.

We had a B2B booked for next May on Rhapsody in an OV with a great rate $776 pp plus OBC ($190 total) towards gratuities. Today, we received this email from Royal:

Dear Valued Guest,

We recently announced the sale of Legend of the Seas, which will take effect in March of 2017, and has subsequently made it necessary for us to adjust some of our related itineraries. Please know that we fully recognize that this is not a matter of simply moving dates and ships. We realize your vacation is precious and we want to do everything we can to ensure it is exceptional.

To that end, we are sorry to inform you that due to a necessary change to our fleet deployment, your voyage on Rhapsody of the Seas, on May 19, 2017 has been cancelled. We understand the disappointment this may cause, and will have one of our associates reach out to you to select a new voyage for your vacation.

As a valued guest, we’d like to present you with the following option:

· Rebooking on any other sailing

o Prevailing rates apply, with no price protection available

o $200 onboard credit per standard stateroom, $400 onboard credit for suites when you rebook any Royal Caribbean sailing.

o If you incur a fee due to the change in your airline reservations you will be reimbursed up to $200 per person, for Domestic Flights & $300 per person, for International Flights.

If you are unable to re-book by June 22, 2016, a full refund for the amount paid on your current reservation will be processed to the original form of payment. Please note future compensation will not be available due to this circumstance, including air change fee reimbursement. A copy of air fees accessed must be provided for reimbursement. Guest may submit this documentation via email to mycruise@rccl.com or fax at 541-285-9415. Guests who cancel their sailing or air are not eligible for air change fee reimbursement.

If we miss you when we call, or you would like to contact us upon receipt of this letter, please call our redeployment team at 866-506-7245 at anytime.

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and we hope to welcome you onboard soon.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International®

DH called to ask about the OBC we originally had and was told that the $190 OBC would be replaced by $200 OBC. That's if we book a 6 night or longer cruise. 3-5 nights get $100 OBC.

So, in the end, if we rebook we get $10 per cruise more in OBC than what we had. We have until June 22 to rebook and if another OBC promotion comes out before then, it will be added to the $200. We're cruising next week so DH asked if we booked onboard, would it be added to the onboard booking bonus. Answer was NO.

DH said leave it for now, we'll think it over. The big deal for us was the great rate we had and it was near home. Booking Anthem which we really don't want to do, has rates that will way more than eat up that $200 even in an inside cabin. Very disappointed.:(

I would call again. That does not sound right about losing the $190.

Also, I just called and was told that you can get the $200 OBC regardless of the number of days that the cruise you are changing to is. If at first you don't succeed, call, call again:)

Yeah I think whoever said that is wrong.

Rhapsody is pretty much booked up until April of 2018.

Europe from May until October 2017, then a TA, then 7 night sailings from Tampa starting in November.

Yep, sorry Chermilo, you don't have to call back on Monday - OfTheSeasCruiser is correct based on the press release:

Legend of the Seas exits the fleet on March 26, 2017

The current round trip Brisbane, Australia sailings departing on January 6, 15, 29 and February 8 will operate as scheduled.

All scheduled sailings from February 20, 2017 onward will be canceled. This includes the summer season cruises from Venice, Italy as well as the balance of the Brisbane itineraries.

A series of three repositioning cruises will be offered beginning on February 20 from Brisbane. This will include an 11-night sailing from Brisbane to Singapore, as well as a 10-night cruise from Singapore to Dubai and a 13-night sailing from Dubai to Barcelona.

Rhapsody of the Seas will transition to Venice, Italy for the summer season. Sailings from Cape Liberty, New Jersey will be cancelled.

Rhapsody will offer the full schedule of round trip sailings in fall of 2016 and winter of 2017 from Tampa, Florida as planned.

On April 29, Rhapsody will offer a 14-night Transatlantic sailing from Tampa, Florida ending in Barcelona, Spain.

On May 13, Rhapsody will offer a 7-night open jaw sailing from Barcelona, Spain to Venice, Italy.

From May 20 through the end of October, Rhapsody will offer a variety of exciting 7-night round trip sailings from Venice, Italy.

With these newly introduced itineraries, all previously planned sailings from Cape Liberty, New Jersey will be canceled.

At the conclusion of the Mediterranean season, Rhapsody will return to Tampa, Florida as planned and begin sailings on November 19, 2017.

Vision of the Seas will offer four fall foliage sailings from Cape Liberty, New Jersey after completing northerly crossing from Copenhagen, Denmark

On August 22, Vision will offer a 16-night Transatlantic sailing from Copenhagen, Denmark to Cape Liberty, New Jersey with several calls in Denmark, Norway, Scotland and Iceland.

On September 7, Vision will offer a 13-night open jaw sailing from Cape Liberty, New Jersey to Quebec City, Canada. The sailings departing from Cape Liberty on September 20, October 1, and October 11 will replace the previously planned sailings offered on Rhapsody and include calls in Boston, Massachusetts, as well as multiple ports in Maine and Nova Scotia.

Vision’s current fall Europe itineraries, including those departing from Venice, Italy from August 22, 2017 through November 17, 2017 will be canceled.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1260/legend-of-the-seas-to-depart-royal-caribbean-international-fleet/

I feel so bad for everyone who worked on planning a great cruise and now has to change direction - it has happened to us 2 times in the past, and I know it's a hassle. :(

Ok- where is vision going after our Oct 11 Quebec to Cape Liberty?

We were originally booked on the Oct 11 Rhapsody and then the Oct 23 repo from Bayonne to Tampa.They have transferred us to Vision for the Canada sailing but cancelled the repo portion.I know Rhapsody will be coming to Tampa direct from overseas but I wonder where Vision will end up?

Received a note that our October 23, 2017 on Rhapsody, Bayonne to Tampa, was cancelled but offering a similar cruise out of Boston on Serenade October 20, To FTL for the same rate.

Problem is, how do we get to Boston for this one way cruise? Since we're only 1.5 hours from Bayonne we were going to use a car service for the now cancelled cruise but we're 4 hours away from Boston. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks

Received a note that our October 23, 2017 on Rhapsody, Bayonne to Tampa, was cancelled but offering a similar cruise out of Boston on Serenade October 20, To FTL for the same rate.

Problem is, how do we get to Boston for this one way cruise? Since we're only 1.5 hours from Bayonne we were going to use a car service for the now cancelled cruise but we're 4 hours away from Boston. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks

You may also want to post your transportation question on the East Coast Departures forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

Many knowledgeable people watch that forum.

Amtrak is a great option as are Greyhound or Concird Trailways bus lines.

This is our problem also. We would have to drive 5 to 6 hours North to Boston....park and pay parking fees.....get on the ship....Go South for the cruise....fly back to Boston and THEN drive 5 to 6 hours South to get home. No thank you. Driving for 12 hours is not worth it to us. :(

Edited by champagne123
sssss

I was also doing a B2B on the 10/11 and 10/23 Rhapsody.

They moved the 10/11 to the Vision and cancelled the 10/23 - I know sooner or later they will either have a cruise on Vision on 10/23 or a non-revenue repositioning. I was told that it will be a long time before they decide where the Vision will go after 10/23 - so I moved my 10/23 Sailing to the 10/28 Grandeur - and will wait patiently for the Vision- and hopefully I will be able to do a back to back again. The cruise was priced as normal - no special provisions, just the onboard credit.

If not, then I have a few days to get to Baltimore.

I have done the Boston repo many, many times and will be doing it again this year - so I decided to skip it in 2017. It is also the same time as the 10/11.

This is our problem also. We would have to drive 5 to 6 hours North to Boston....park and pay parking fees.....get on the ship....Go South for the cruise....fly back to Boston and THEN drive 5 to 6 hours South to get home. No thank you. Driving for 12 hours is not worth it to us. :(

We are so disappointed too. Our entire group from the Anthem last month, 12 of us, booked the now cancelled cruise on board. We had it all figured out.

Not sure of taking a train or bus but will certainly check those options. We have easy access to rent a car but where do we return it and then go to the port... Maybe the airport.

We were really happy to see an alternative to Anthem in Bayonne for the summer of 2017 doing a r/t. So disappointed. Although the Anthem is "nicely different" to say the least, it's not anywhere as welcoming as the Explorer was. Bayonne needs a second choice...either RC or Celebrity with a different itinerary. Otherwise all "locals" will seek out "the alternatives"! Vicki

I would call again. That does not sound right about losing the $190.

Also, I just called and was told that you can get the $200 OBC regardless of the number of days that the cruise you are changing to is. If at first you don't succeed, call, call again:)

Thanks, he will argue that again when he calls again to reschedule.

I read your post above. That really stinks. Royal should have offered you price protection AND let you keep your $190 in addition to the new OBC. I would have a hard time rebooking. I hope you and DH come to the decision that is right for you.

Thanks for your kind words.

We were really happy to see an alternative to Anthem in Bayonne for the summer of 2017 doing a r/t. So disappointed. Although the Anthem is "nicely different" to say the least, it's not anywhere as welcoming as the Explorer was. Bayonne needs a second choice...either RC or Celebrity with a different itinerary. Otherwise all "locals" will seek out "the alternatives"! Vicki

You can say that again. Ex was the best. Now we trek to Baltimore, sail the Summit or the Gem.

Edited by P&C4/16/67

You can say that again. Ex was the best. Now we trek to Baltimore, sail the Summit or the Gem.

We loved the Explorer too and cruised Liberty last year, and Anthem this year even though it was the same itinerary all 3 cruises.

We probably won't travel to Baltimore but NCL Gem (and sister ships) is our favorite class with them. Didn't like Breakaway at all, way to crowded for the number of passengers in all venues. May need to try X again, haven't for many years but it was our most favorite for Bermuda cruises.