Delay in transferring booking over to travel agent

We booked a cruise online on May 15 for September 24 on Oasis. There was only one handicap accessible cabin available for that date. Our travel agent was offering some very nice perks but we were not able to get in touch with her. We then filled out the paperwork to transfer the reservation over to our travel agent on Monday, May 16. We received a confirming email from Royal that it would take 5 to 7 business days to process the transfer.

After many calls and emails, the transfer time change was moved to 7-10 business days. The reservation was finally transferred over on Tuesday evening, May 31 (11 days) after the travel agent had left. We lost all of the perks and Royal Caribbean does seem to want to work with us for any kind of compensation.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks.

No we've not had any of those issues and have transferred several on board bookings to our TA.

I don't understand why any of the perks that would be offered independently by a TA would be "lost" - especially, since the TA did not originate the booking they would never have been applied in the first place. Once the booking was in the TA's possession they can add any perk that would originate from them that they would want to add. How did what you feel was a delay in transferring the booking affect this?

What was lost from the original booking that resulted from the transfer that you feel should be compensated to you by RCI? Keep in mind that any perks that would be offered independent by the TA would are not RCI's responsibility.

Lastly, once the booking is transferred to a TA, the TA "owns" that booking and all further inquiries or actions regarding the booking would go through them - RCI cannot touch the booking at that point.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The travel agent offered a specialty restaurant reservation for two, a spa credit for one and on board ship credit. Unti the agent got the reservation in her possession, she was not able to process it through her company and the perks had expired.

The travel agent offered a specialty restaurant reservation for two, a spa credit for one and on board ship credit. Unti the agent got the reservation in her possession, she was not able to process it through her company and the perks had expired.

There must me some kind of perks. 90% of all TA's give around 10% in OBC.

We did a request a few weeks ago and it took a call from our TA to get it transferred after the 7-10 days Royal Caribbean stated. Our agent called several times and was told the reservation transfer request could be seen, but nothing could be done until whomever was supposed to do it, did the transfer.

Two days after the time expired, our agent was able to get the booking. I do have to say that I booked this cruise knowing when I wanted to sail, where I wanted to be and had my C&A number available as well as the credit cards needed.

When I called RCCL, I was told it was in the works, but nothing I could say would move it along. The interesting thing to me was that while on hold, I was told how Royal Caribbean values the travel agents. So much for that nonsense.

Well part of the delay was the result of your TA not being available when you booked the cruise in the first place, resulting in the need to have it transferred to them. Had they been, this issue would be moot.

I don't think RCI has any firm timeline for transferring a booking (other then with a deadline by which it has to be initiated) and maybe it just took longer than expected. So while it is unfortunate that 5-7 days turned into 11, you really have no recourse for this.

More unfortunate is the fact that your TA was not able to secure the perks they had offered, especially since I'm sure you notified them that the booking was coming. I think there would be more of a push for compensation from them if anyone for not being able to secure what they offered.

But since perks offered by a TA that are not part of any program offered by RCI are not in any way their responsibility, there really is nothing you can do - or expect RCI to do - regarding them not being applied.

Sorry this didn't work out but if it were me I would push back with the TA. After all, since the only reason you transferred the booking in the first place was to get the perks they offered, you would think the least they would do is find a way to provide them - or others - to you. After all they gained the business for nothing and knew in advance it was coming as a because of the perks offered.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I'm a bit confused as to how the perks from your TA have 'expired' and are no longer being offered to you. These kinds of perks come out of an agency's commission, which doesn't just disappear on an arbitrary date.

We booked a cruise online on May 15 for September 24 on Oasis. There was only one handicap accessible cabin available for that date. Our travel agent was offering some very nice perks but we were not able to get in touch with her. We then filled out the paperwork to transfer the reservation over to our travel agent on Monday, May 16. We received a confirming email from Royal that it would take 5 to 7 business days to process the transfer.

After many calls and emails, the transfer time change was moved to 7-10 business days. The reservation was finally transferred over on Tuesday evening, May 31 (11 days) after the travel agent had left. We lost all of the perks and Royal Caribbean does seem to want to work with us for any kind of compensation.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks.

Here's what I do when I want a specific cabin during my TA's off hours: I do a 24 hr hold. Then I call my TA the next day. With her on the phone, I cancel the online booking and she grabs the cabin and creates a new booking. If you go through the full online booking you are at the mercy of the cruise line and that could take a while. Sorry you missed the promotion from your TA. They should have honored the perks. If you are dissatisfied with the TA, you can ask RCCL to pullback the booking and manage it. I know someone who did that after a fall out with the TA.

I'm a bit confused as to how the perks from your TA have 'expired' and are no longer being offered to you. These kinds of perks come out of an agency's commission, which doesn't just disappear on an arbitrary date.

They can come from a promotion offered to TA's as well from RCCL for a limited time.

They can come from a promotion offered to TA's as well from RCCL for a limited time.

The perks in question with the OP were not RCI promotion related or sponsored to the TA - they were TA sponsored perks that apparently had a limited time associated with them.

Also seems unusual that perks would be offered to TA's by RCI that are not also offered directly to the general public booking with them. Not familiar with that.

Here's what I do when I want a specific cabin during my TA's off hours: I do a 24 hr hold. Then I call my TA the next day. With her on the phone, I cancel the online booking and she grabs the cabin and creates a new booking. If you go through the full online booking you are at the mercy of the cruise line and that could take a while. Sorry you missed the promotion from your TA. They should have honored the perks. If you are dissatisfied with the TA, you can ask RCCL to pullback the booking and manage it. I know someone who did that after a fall out with the TA.

You can't

The perks in question with the OP were not RCI promotion related or sponsored to the TA - they were TA sponsored perks that apparently had a limited time associated with them.

Also seems unusual that perks would be offered to TA's by RCI that are not also offered directly to the general public booking with them. Not familiar with that.

RCCL does have promotions they offer to TA's to pass on to their clients. Same with promotional pricing. My upcoming RCCL cruise had this and it wasn't offered online as one of their marketing promotions.

You can't

I stand corrected. For RCCL they don't do 24 hr hold. Sorry.. I cruise on multiple lines and it's been a while since I booked RCCL online.

I stand corrected. For RCCL they don't do 24 hr hold. Sorry.. I cruise on multiple lines and it's been a while since I booked RCCL online.

That is still incorrect. RCI does not do courtesy holds any longer on US based Caribbean itineraries, but they still do on all other itineraries. This is a policy change from about 2-3 months ago.