Lectures aboard Royal Caribbean

New to cruising. Been lurking a while, finally decided to post. I generally like to learn while I am traveling and I'm curious how often RC has lectures on board. How do you find out what the topic might be.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The only time I've seen enrichment lectures on Royal cruises has been on our transatlantic cruises. In those cases, the lectures were listed in the Cruise Compass (daily schedule). I've never seen any kind of pre-cruise listing of lectures by the cruise line.

I've seen a guest speaker on one of my Allure cruises... He was a former secret service guard and then he was a body guard for celebrities or some such. Wrote a book. He had some talks on the ship and had a couple of book signings.

Nothing was advertised in the compass or announced before the cruise. I only knew about it because they had his book at the Meet and Mingle and he said a spoke for a couple of minutes at our meet up. I am not sure if he was a CC member or what, it was pretty random. This was on my November cruise last year.

There was a lecturer on our Bermuda cruise on Grandeur a couple years ago. Unfortunately he was not a good lecturer through he had interesting topics. Each day we would give him a try hoping it would be better but it was not. Would definitely enjoy good lecturers on board the ship.

One of the best destination lecture's we've ever had was on Mariner (south east Asia itinerary March 2015)....Iven Frangi...he was amazing....so popular the Savoy Theater had standing room only left after the word got out about him.

So are destination lectures more common than enrichment lectures? I think that I would be more interested to learn a bit about the places we are going.

Its a W. Caribbean so I know its perhaps more beach than culture---but there is marine ecology and Mayan history to be learned!!

So are destination lectures more common than enrichment lectures? I think that I would be more interested to learn a bit about the places we are going.

Its a W. Caribbean so I know its perhaps more beach than culture---but there is marine ecology and Mayan history to be learned!!

I agree with your sentiment, but you will find on a Caribbean cruise that the "port talks" are little more than sales pitches towards vendors with ties to the cruise lines. (jewelry, electronics, linen stores, duty free shops).

When my wife and I cruised on Enchantment back in January, they had what I would consider a lecture in the theater. It was this guy who had worked in the Jim Henson company and he did a presentation on puppetry, and at the end pulled up some guests to do a live demonstration.

I agree with your sentiment, but you will find on a Caribbean cruise that the "port talks" are little more than sales pitches towards vendors with ties to the cruise lines. (jewelry, electronics, linen stores, duty free shops).

How much they push the shopping is probably one of my least favorite things on the two cruises I've taken this year.

It is an endless barrage of flyers, announcements, TV programming, and theatre talks. They even interrupt events like Bingo to spend 3-5 minutes reminding us to go to the shopping talk, blah blah blah. It's insufferable.

I know lots of people are shoppers, but I'm not, or at least I don't need so much help doing it, and I wish it were more easily avoidable on a cruise. [emoji35]

I would love to hear lectures about the actual posts and not where to buy diamonds.

How much they push the shopping is probably one of my least favorite things on the two cruises I've taken this year.

It is an endless barrage of flyers, announcements, TV programming, and theatre talks. They even interrupt events like Bingo to spend 3-5 minutes reminding us to go to the shopping talk, blah blah blah. It's insufferable.

I know lots of people are shoppers, but I'm not, or at least I don't need so much help doing it, and I wish it were more easily avoidable on a cruise. [emoji35]

I would love to hear lectures about the actual posts and not where to buy diamonds.

If they had 30-60 minute history lectures about ports of call I'd go to every single one.

On our last 3 Caribbean cruises on board the Oasis and Allure, there were no lectures about the ports (other than shopping) if that is the type of lecture you wish to hear. I would advise you to visit the Princess and Holland America boards and ask the same question. You will find those lines do have port lectures. When our kids were elementary aged, we took a HAL cruise that stopped at the Mayan ruins and they had a lecture about it the previous day.

Our 10 night canary cruise next week has a guest lecturer on our destinations. She is on our roll call so she is giving us advance notice. Topics sound very interesting!

There was an NYU professor on our only Celebrity cruise. Very good talks about the Caribbean and coral reefs. Thoroughly enjoyed.

The Canary cruise is the first Royal cruise I've been on that has a featured speaker beyond the port shopping presentations. And we've cruised Royal a lot. Maybe the Caribbean is considered more of a party atmosphere? But I also enjoy a little learning when I'm on vacation. :)

Edited by ksawyercruiser

On my cruise in October 2014 to Bahamas, Key West, & Port Canaveral On the Grandeur we had a lecturer on the history of the ports. She was a retired teacher, a fellow passenger & she showed slides & read off the information shown on them. She would have been much better if she had not read off what we could see but I did enjoy the information.

If they had 30-60 minute history lectures about ports of call I'd go to every single one.

We are on the Harmony right now. This morning, we had our 2nd History and Culture guest lecture. He's a PhD (I can't remember his name). I haven't seen these on the cruises we've taken before, but maybe it is because this is our first European cruise.