100% Single Supplement

silvercruiser

I know for sure that NCL and DCL sometimes offer discounts on single supplements. DCL's are under their *GT "restricted" fares. They don't put out a big flag that says "reduced single supplement' date='" but if you look at the fares, you can see that the solo fare is nowhere near double the 2 person fare.[/quote']

How about any of the RCI lines or CCL lines?

NCL has also built some single cabins into some of their new ships. Not sure of their occupancy and pricing models. Sailed on them once a few years ago and decided never again. They certainly have some practices that are relatively unique to them. DCL's fee structure is kind of unique, running a fair amount higher per person per day then the main stream lines.

RCI and CLL have 71.78% of the cruise business. NCL is 9% and DCL around 2.5%

Edited by RDC1

From the Personalizer' date=' under Personal Profile, click on My Profile.

Then under Member Profile, click on Cruise History. You will now see all the cruises you have taken and the number of days and credits.[/b']

It worked! Thanks, Nāmaka :)

I think I may have found the reason in the NCL 10k. NCL runs an average occupancy rate of 109%. At that occupancy rate (since it is an average) there will be some cruises where they bump up against the ship max occupancy. In those case they might have some cabins unfilled and solo deals would make sense. I would expect that they would tend to offer those solo deals during periods when you would expect families with children to be cruising. DCL is also family heavy and may run into the same situations.

The demographics of the lines customers also come into play. Since CCL and RCCL are the most family focused of the CCL and RCI lines they also might experience some cases when a lot of families would be traveling and kick up occupancy rates. Princess and Celebrity not so much. so your best chances for a solo deal would be during periods when lots of families would be cruising on the family focused lines.

TA and relocation cruises tend to offer deals of all kinds so I would not consider them to represent a cruise lines normal pricing practices.

Edited by RDC1

I think I may have found the reason in the NCL 10k. NCL runs an average occupancy rate of 109%. At that occupancy rate (since it is an average) there will be some cruises where they bump up against the ship max occupancy. In those case they might have some cabins unfilled and solo deals would make sense. I would expect that they would tend to offer those solo deals during periods when you would expect families with children to be cruising. DCL is also family heavy and may run into the same situations.

The demographics of the lines customers also come into play. Since CCL and RCCL are the most family focused of the CCL and RCI lines they also might experience some cases when a lot of families would be traveling and kick up occupancy rates. Princess and Celebrity not so much. so your best chances for a solo deal would be during periods when lots of families would be cruising on the family focused lines.

TA and relocation cruises tend to offer deals of all kinds so I would not consider them to represent a cruise lines normal pricing practices.

That theory sounds very plausible. However, 8 months out they still have a chance to even out. That's when the special was advertised. NCL. Only for two weeks mind ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That theory sounds very plausible. However, 8 months out they still have a chance to even out. That's when the special was advertised. NCL. Only for two weeks mind ya.

Was it for cruises during a period where families would be expected?

Keep in mind that cruise lines have a lot of information on booking patterns. If they expect a lot of families and that they will hit max ship capacity, they might be trying to prepare. A cruise line should be able to predict within a percent or two how their demographics will end up for a cruise before the cruise is put up for sale. (Allowing for macro impacts such as recessions, terrorism, etc.)

Was it for cruises during a period where families would be expected?

Keep in mind that cruise lines have a lot of information on booking patterns. If they expect a lot of families and that they will hit max ship capacity, they might be trying to prepare. A cruise line should be able to predict within a percent or two how their demographics will end up for a cruise before the cruise is put up for sale. (Allowing for macro impacts such as recessions, terrorism, etc.)

Not really late August- sept. I believe most children in the US would be heading back to school. However, here in Spain yes, their summer break starts later.

I am just glad to get the deal, I usually cruise, low season. This years different. I have a holiday cruise in December. Lots of families, hope they offer one on that.

Edited by Flamencacha

HAL currently has a 25% single supplement on the Eurodam July 17, 12-day, E. Med. (Venice to Venice).

Single Inside Guarantee $999

Single Outside Guarantee $1,124

Single Balcony Guarantee $1,299

Single Suite Guarantee $3,374

Those prices are hard to beat!

Am paying double for my meals as a solo I ALWAYS make certain I get a good meal in the MDR traditional. I have no qualms what so ever replacing or sending stuff back to the kitchen if it is not to my liking.That is the one advantage without having a guilty feeling that solos have.:p;)

That would be a really nice Elite benefit: a post-final-payment reduced single supplement. Doesn't even have to be 0; I'd be happy with only 50%.

That would make me a loyal cruiser as a solo. They assume we don't spend the on board. Well after spending for our imaginary friend, what do they want.

Definitely will be waiting for last minute to book my next cruises.

That would make me a loyal cruiser as a solo. They assume we don't spend the on board. Well after spending for our imaginary friend, what do they want.

Definitely will be waiting for last minute to book my next cruises.

They don't assume anything. They have years of actual data and can forecast the average behavior pretty acurately.

I can only speak for myself. I am retired in my mid fifties and I cruise solo. It's my vacation from my everyday active life. I budget for my vacations including spending. So if I pay for my imaginary friend so be it usually means less spending. But if I can get a reduction of my solo supplement I go elsewhere and spend my money.

By the way this solo cruiser treated herself to massages, wine tastings, and did some shopping on board. Also didn't hesitate to purchase wines with my meals, pay for martinis, gin tonics etc and dine in a specialty restaurant.

I probably out spent most couples. So yes they assume.

Am paying double for my meals as a solo I ALWAYS make certain I get a good meal in the MDR traditional. I have no qualms what so ever replacing or sending stuff back to the kitchen if it is not to my liking.That is the one advantage without having a guilty feeling that solos have.:p;)

I guess you have never worked in a restaurant kitchen! Anyone who has, would never send back a meal. ;)

I booked a 15 day round trip from San Francisco to Hawaii on the Grand, sailing the day before Thanksgiving.

Caught a super sale about 6 weeks ago. Inside was $1799 per person double and only $1899 solo. Plus Princess was giving a $300 obc, my agent gave me $85, and I got $75 for my fcc....total obc $460. total cost including taxes and port charges $2182. Same cabin is now just under $4300 and no obc from Princess. Booked it as fast as I could call my agent.

Deals are still out there, but sometimes they don't last very long. I check almost every day.

Brenda

Yes, its hard to find a good solo deal on Princess, so i check cruiseplum.com often.

as a solo, i love that they ask everyone if theyd like to share a table when dining.

That would be the best tip i have ever read on c/c.Doffs one hat to you.:)

Just came back from an NCL cruise which I haven't been on in years.....they offer quite a nice deal for solo cruisers...AND, they have single cabins if you wish one....and the food was excellent....I thought it might be like going downhill, and I was very pleasantly surprised by it....I will have to write a review of it one of these days as a comparison...