100% Single Supplement

silvercruiser

I sail solo, pay the supplement, don't care for it but there are itineraries I want to do so I pay the price.

Years ago I could get better pricing but not anymore. I realize there are some lines or maybe better deals for some cruises, but not necessarily ones I want to take.

My objection is if a ship isn't sailing full why not give a solo passenger a break? One person in a cabin, is better than an empty one.

I get what people say about taking up a double cabin, the economics of it all, I've been cruising over 33 years so I definitely get it maybe more so than newer cruisers. As Pam said, a great travel agent helps!

I sail solo, pay the supplement, don't care for it but there are itineraries I want to do so I pay the price.

Years ago I could get better pricing but not anymore. I realize there are some lines or maybe better deals for some cruises, but not necessarily ones I want to take.

My objection is if a ship isn't sailing full why not give a solo passenger a break? One person in a cabin, is better than an empty one.

I get what people say about taking up a double cabin, the economics of it all, I've been cruising over 33 years so I definitely get it maybe more so than newer cruisers. As Pam said, a great travel agent helps!

Considering that the average occupancy rate is in the 104-105% range. Ships usually sale full. In most cases it would only be a day or 2 before the cruise before they would know that they would have an empty cabin.

This is JMHO, but .......

The disappearance of the 40-60% single supplement seems to have coincided with the arrival of Jan Schwartz as CEO. She seems bent on wringing every penny she can get out of Princess passengers, especially, single cruisers. It's rather like we are being punished for having the audacity to take up a whole cabin, usually occupied by two, by ourselves.

You are paying the cost of the CABIN...you need to stop thinking in "per person" terms!

Well, employing that logic, should those who occupy a quad cabin but are only a duo pay the fare for 4 passengers? That is what the cabin could hold, so now Princess is losing out on those 2 extra fares.

Well' date=' employing that logic, should those who occupy a quad cabin but are only a duo pay the fare for 4 passengers? That is what the cabin could hold, so now Princess is losing out on those 2 extra fares.[/font']

Thats a good one, I understand they dont always pay a full fare. It really doesn't matter our logic, they will supplement the Solo's to death until they choose to travel in other venues.

My end of year with a solo supplement in an OV is $380 PD for 12 days exclusive of air, excursions, tips etc.

Makes me wonder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be lovely if cruise lines would charge either per person or per room, perhaps with some small adjustment for the the number of guests if they opted to go "per room." Nice, but I don't see it happening.

If "per room," (like a hotel room)...charge for the first person in the room with a small upcharge for additional people. It isn't a perfect analogy, as in the US many hotels base the charges on 2 people or allow 2 + children "free," but in other countries we find that we often pay an upcharge for the second person. If the charge is "per room," there should be only minor upcharges for the second-fourth persons.

OR charge per person....in which case there should be no huge reduction in fare for a third or fourth person as there is today. This honestly makes sense as usage is basically per person. A typical person eats a certain amount of food, uses a certain number of towels, takes a seat at the theater or on the pool deck, and perhaps spends a certain amount on board.

We aren't likely to see this sort of change in my life time, but it does seem like the cruise line has opted for a policy that gives them "the best of both worlds." And the most inappropriate is the 100% surcharge. I don't eat as much or use as much linen, towels, etc. as two people. And the only way I'll ever book a "single person cabin" is if it is at half the price as a "2 person cabin." If I have to pay for a 2 person cabin, I'm gonna cruise in a 2 person cabin! And I'll spend very little on board as I had to pay it all for that cabin.

It would be lovely if cruise lines would charge either per person or per room' date=' perhaps with some small adjustment for the the number of guests if they opted to go "per room." Nice, but I don't see it happening.

If "per room," (like a hotel room)...charge for the first person in the room with a small upcharge for additional people. It isn't a perfect analogy, as in the US many hotels base the charges on 2 people or allow 2 + children "free," but in other countries we find that we often pay an upcharge for the second person. If the charge is "per room," there should be only minor upcharges for the second-fourth persons.

OR charge per person....in which case there should be no huge reduction in fare for a third or fourth person as there is today. This honestly makes sense as usage is basically per person. A typical person eats a certain amount of food, uses a certain number of towels, takes a seat at the theater or on the pool deck, and perhaps spends a certain amount on board.

We aren't likely to see this sort of change in my life time, but it does seem like the cruise line has opted for a policy that gives them "the best of both worlds." And the most inappropriate is the 100% surcharge. I don't eat as much or use as much linen, towels, etc. as two people. And the only way I'll ever book a "single person cabin" is if it is at half the price as a "2 person cabin." If I have to pay for a 2 person cabin, I'm gonna cruise in a 2 person cabin! And I'll spend very little on board as I had to pay it all for that cabin.[/quote']

Very well said! I agree whole heartedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When did the single supplement for Inside and Oceanview cabins go up to 100%? It's always been that for balconies and above, but for years I paid between 40% and 60% for inside and oceanviews. I've been busy with HAL cruises for a few years and was surprised to find this change at Princess. Does anyone know when this change took place? I'm still paying less on HAL, but they seem to be about the only mainstream lines that offer the lower supplement, except Costa, which offers zero supplement.

It's been a few months now.

I always cruise solo, except one where I had a friend cruise with me. I accept I have to pay the 100% supplement, just as I have to pay the going price for a room in an hotel even though the room is traditionally priced for two people. I am taking another cruise in November, and I have already reached Platinum after only a total of four cruises. Thank you Princess, I shall enjoy priority boarding, though I doubt I will use the internet minutes I will get. I do know I will try to eat for two though:D

It would be lovely if cruise lines would charge either per person or per room' date=' perhaps with some small adjustment for the the number of guests if they opted to go "per room." Nice, but I don't see it happening.

We aren't likely to see this sort of change in my life time, but it does seem like the cruise line has opted for a policy that gives them "the best of both worlds." And the most inappropriate is the 100% surcharge. I don't eat as much or use as much linen, towels, etc. as two people. And the only way I'll ever book a "single person cabin" is if it is at half the price as a "2 person cabin." If I have to pay for a 2 person cabin, I'm gonna cruise in a 2 person cabin! And I'll spend very little on board as I had to pay it all for that cabin.[/quote']

Most cruise line expenses are fixed costs (cost of the ship and personnel). The only variable major expense is fuel which is pretty much fixed on any particular cruise. The cost savings going from two to one is a room is not material. It is low and in the noise level of the financial calculations, whereas the income difference is material. The cruise line doesn't really care that with a single they save a little food and a little laundry. That money is minimal, they do care about the opportunity cost, the money that they cannot make compared to having a second person in the room (about 8.2% lower revenue).

The limitation in the amount of revenue the ship can make is the number or room and overall capacity. Total capacity on most of princess's ships is about 15-20% over the two person per cabin number. On average a cruise line runs 104-105% capacity. Every time they put one person in a two person cabin they need to sell more cabins above two. For those cabins the 3 and 4th people are not as profitable because those are reduced fare (largely because it is more difficult to find people wanting to put 3 or 4 people in one cabin compared to 2 people. Pricing is based largely on demand with the goal of maximizing revenue. If the prices were not reduced for person 3 and 4 they would just a second room. A room with 4 people in it yields 2X154 + 2x104= 516 or 68% more then a room with two people.

As I mentioned about anytime you have a single you can expect on average to get around 8.2% lower revenue. To put that number into perspective the profit margin for CCL for the last 3 years was 2015 11%, 2014 7.6% and 2013 6.7%. 2015 is unusually high for the cruise industry and largely the result of savings due to low fuel costs.

The cruise line collects demographic information so they would have very accurate numbers on average spend for a single vs two in a room. In reality the number may be even worse then the back of the napkin calculation if as you said, they would spend very little on board.

Edited by RDC1

There is a major reason why cruise lines do not go to a direct cabin price model. They could get the same revenue out of such a model bay raising prices 3-5%. Note that such an increase would be 6-10% higher for single travelers compared to today. The problem with doing so compared to a land hotel is overall ship capacity. In a land hotel they do not care if families fill every room, 4 to a room. A cruise line cannot do that because total capacity is only 15 -20% higher then 2 people to a room. If they went with flat room prices and too many families booked then you would have empty room and revenue would drop. To go to a per room model you would have to include both the increase and a capping of the number of room with more then two. The capping is effectively done today by the additional fees payed for the 3rd and 4th individual in a room.

Edited by RDC1

In 2009, I booked an OV cabin at about 130%. Since then, I've mainly booked balconies or minis, so I haven't paid as much attention. Now, I'm starting to pay more attention to the inside and OV cabins again as I'm starting to price more expensive cruises. It seems that it's mostly 200%. I agree that the change seemed to happen about the same time Jan Swartz took over. That was 2013. I have gotten a couple excellent deals in the last couple years, but they weren't typical fares. It was just luck and diligent fare watching that paid off. The other thing, though, is that I've been getting some great OBC deals lately. Princess won me back from HAL with a chunk of OBC for my summer cruise this year. All I was getting from HAL was my shareholder OBC. So, in some ways, Princess is still a good deal if you can book during one of the good promotions.

Just have to add that I've been booking for HAL cruises lately and I don't seem to see those discounted solo fares. It seems like I'm paying 200% there. I guess I need to study that more.

Unless one travels at half board like they do in UK were meals are included,one usually pays extra for ones food.

Why does Princess not allow a slight allowance taking off meals for one?

but on the plus side - you get credit for 2 cruises.

Speaking of credits, is there any way you can check how many you've racked up? I've been able to find my tier, but not how many points I need to get into the next level.

Speaking of credits, is there any way you can check how many you've racked up? I've been able to find my tier, but not how many points I need to get into the next level.

From the Personalizer, under Personal Profile, click on My Profile.

Then under Member Profile, click on Cruise History. You will now see all the cruises you have taken and the number of days and credits.

While the calculations are interesting, we know that ships sail with empty cabins. Other lines offer serious discounts on the single supplement for bookings made after the start of the penalty period (typically these are offered at 60 days or less before cruising and have single supplement at 130%-140% rather than the standard 200%).

It seems to me, and obviously to some other lines, that a cabin with one guest is better than an empty cabin. And perhaps that 140% of a balcony cabin can be better than 200% of an inside cabin. Many singles book insides due to the high cost of nicer cabins.

Again, I get it that if the line can sell the cabin to 2 people, they make more profit. But if they can't, selling it to a single beats sailing with it empty or even basically giving it away at TA/interline rates.

Edited by moki'smommy

While the calculations are interesting' date=' we know that ships sail with empty cabins. Other lines offer serious discounts on the single supplement for bookings made after the start of the penalty period (typically these are offered at 60 days or less before cruising and have single supplement at 130%-140% rather than the standard 200%).

It seems to me, and obviously to some other lines, that a cabin with one guest is better than an empty cabin. And perhaps that 140% of a balcony cabin can be better than 200% of an inside cabin. Many singles book insides due to the high cost of nicer cabins.

Again, I get it that if the line can sell the cabin to 2 people, they make more profit. But if they can't, selling it to a single beats sailing with it empty or even basically giving it away at TA/interline rates.[/quote']

Ships usually do not sail with empty cabins. They may have a couple for operational reasons or some last minute cancellations, but most cruises sail full. There may be a few that are under subscribed, but most are full. The average number is 4-5% over 2 person capacity. If they are not full, then they offer deals to get it full. This includes offer to their last minute lists (how many of those offers have you seen lately?) They are very good at what they do.

Which other lines offer solo discounts 60 days before sailing? Have not seen it lately on any of the mainstream lines. More likely on lines with less reliance on on board sales such as the semi or fully all inclusive lines.

The norm for the main stream lines is to cut the per person fare, not provide solo discounts from the 100% per person premium. Again the goal is to get at least two people into the room. To do what you want would mean that their pricing has failed and they would not get to that point until a couple of days before the cruise.

Edited by RDC1

Which other lines offer solo discounts 60 days before sailing? Have not seen it lately on any of the mainstream lines. More likely on lines with less reliance on on board sales such as the semi or fully all inclusive lines.

I saw a transatlantic on the Norwegian Star from Tampa - $339 for an inside cabin, no solo supplement - 14 days this past April - I already had another cruise booked at the same time or I would booked this.

I know for sure that NCL and DCL sometimes offer discounts on single supplements. DCL's are under their *GT "restricted" fares. They don't put out a big flag that says "reduced single supplement," but if you look at the fares, you can see that the solo fare is nowhere near double the 2 person fare.