tips on packaging for wine aboard

clcmdse

in MIA...we had gone to a wine store in MIA...and bought 6 bottles..which they packed for us...checked it at curbside...and the "package" did not arrive at the cabin. Went downstairs to try and find out where it was...and was told that the package was being "held"...because one of the bottles was broken. No big deal...as this was not expensive wines...but if you were bringing on board some special wines...I would not trust it to the porters in MIA..just our experience! LuAnn

in MIA...we had gone to a wine store in MIA...and bought 6 bottles..which they packed for us...checked it at curbside...and the "package" did not arrive at the cabin. Went downstairs to try and find out where it was...and was told that the package was being "held"...because one of the bottles was broken. No big deal...as this was not expensive wines...but if you were bringing on board some special wines...I would not trust it to the porters in MIA..just our experience! LuAnn

That's really too bad, but from our experience, that's the exception - not the rule. We've taken wine on board in many forms: special wine suitcase as well as cardboard wine shippers well taped. They have made it to the cabin just fine every time.

Only time the porters wouldn't touch the wine was in Barcelona last month. I had a cardboard six pack that had each bottle wrapped individually in bubble wrap. They refused to take it at all so I schlepped it through the registration process, up the gangway, etc.

We are considering taking our first Oceania cruise, although we have been on many other cruises, primarily Regent and now Seabourn. However, a 7-day Oceania Caribbean itinerary looks like it would be a good quick getaway. We would like to bring our own wine on board, and have our own wine check. However, the Oceania website says only 3 bottles per stateroom. This thread seems to imply that one can bring more on board. What is the policy that is enforced? Thanks.

If you do a search on the topic you will find many threads which show that the 3 bottle limit is NOT enforced. It's there for Oceania to use if it becomes necessary. Many people have talked about bringing on a case or more without a problem.

Just pay the corkage fee if you are drinking your wine in a public venue or do your imbibing in your room.

Hard liquor is also permissible.

Mura

If your thinking of bringing along a special wine, like a red that has been aging for many years in a quality wine cellar......dont Experience has shown that your shipping it, maybe air travel, and all the handling will really mess up your wine with sediments /vibrations, light and heat and it may take a week or more to let it rest to get back to what it may have been...if at all

A really great wine with 20 years in the celler would get ruined by the transport process in most cases..... leave the good stuff at home.

On buying wine in Miami.....know that many wine producers, pasteurize the wines they ship to hot humid climes in order to give it shelf life.. They will be immune to everything you can throw at them.. as they wont age any more.

Totally agree with Hawaiidan. If you have some super special aged wine, leave it at home. All the vibration and temperature changes involved in travel will ruin it. We are trying to decide to hit the wine store in LA before boarding in January or just going with the drinks package onboard. I am leaning toward the drinks package as it is just easier, and my husband likes his mojito.

Totally agree with Hawaiidan. If you have some super special aged wine, leave it at home. All the vibration and temperature changes involved in travel will ruin it. We are trying to decide to hit the wine store in LA before boarding in January or just going with the drinks package onboard. I am leaning toward the drinks package as it is just easier, and my husband likes his mojito.

Seriously I love wine, but the hassel, ( and it is) of bringing and buying wine and bringing it on board is just folly to me.....Rather bring a bottle of Grey Goose or Single Malt to sip. Grain alcohol way easier to bring on...

Now, I would go with the drinks package....it pays for its self with just a few drinks You get a dozen good solid wines, ( some from the French Laundrys wine list) by the glass. Not a huge selection but for a cruise most pleasant and enjoyable.. Schramsberg sparkling & Hoffman Merlot very nice wines

and I forget , a pretty good German Riesling too.... and you can order a double mojito all day long with premium stock... plus Tips included.

Hawaiidan, thanks for reminding me that the drinks package includes tips. That settles it. Just too much hassle involved in bringing the wine onboard, paying the corkage, ordering mixed drinks separately. Drinks package it is.

• 2 months later...

Here is what we purchased and love - I use it to take wine to our cabin in the woods but will also be using it for our first Oceania trip in Feb.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00STVDHJ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We will bring it empty on the plane as a carry-on then hit the Trader Joes or Bev Mo in FLL (we are coming in a day earlier and renting a car).

So exciting to hear that the wine we bring on board can be stored for us.

Is there anywhere to purchase wine at the Miami port? We will be flying in the night before, and will be taking a direct shuttle from our hotel to the ship.

not that I know of but I did read on this board some where that there is a Miami wine store that will deliver to the port! You may want to do a search.

Is there anywhere to purchase wine at the Miami port? We will be flying in the night before, and will be taking a direct shuttle from our hotel to the ship.

Not sure what time you arrive at your hotel, or which one it is, however, you can ask the front desk at the hotel for nearest liquor store, also some Publix supermarkets usually have a decent, but not upscale wine section, not sure how high end you are looking for...there are some liquor stores around the port (look at google maps), but not walkable IMHO, also check Miami Port section of CC, they may have a current thread going of available stores to order from that have delivery.

I like to drink wine spritzers...particularly an Aperol Spritz.

Would I be allowed to carry on a bottle of Prosecco and a bottle of Aperol and get a bottle of club soda from the bars...to keep in the room?

Is club soda included in the "soft drink" category of included drinks for Oceania?

Yes and Yes.

LOL I thanked you the first time you answered me, but thanking you again! I had forgotten about the fact that I can take the Prosecco bottles and Aperol onboard. :)

On my Celebrity cruise last month, I had an average of 2 drinks a night. Now to figure out how much to take to make my own drinks for the cabin. :rolleyes:

Depends where you are staying

There is a liquor store on Flagler or 1st street also Publix as mentioned

I believe there is a Whole Foods in the same area near Bayside Marketplace that you can walk to

LOL I thanked you the first time you answered me, but thanking you again! I had forgotten about the fact that I can take the Prosecco bottles and Aperol onboard. :)

On my Celebrity cruise last month, I had an average of 2 drinks a night. Now to figure out how much to take to make my own drinks for the cabin. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that having some of your drinks in a lounge, listening to soft music is part of the fun. I drink wine only for the most part and find it hard to go through a bottle during the in cabin or balcony sitting. In fact, more than once I have left an extra bottle for the crew to enjoy in their crew lounge.

I've done the same. And we never drink the champagne that we received from the cruiseline.

But I do like a spritzer or two while getting ready late afternoon and early evenings. Then we go to a lounge and have a drink before dinner, or while we are waiting on a table.

Wine with dinner if I feel like it. Most of the time, I do not. We will not bring that onboard.

Our flight doesn't get in until evening and we're staying at an airport hotel in Miami, so I doubt we will find any stores nearby. I'm thinking we can pack some boxed wine in our luggage ... not the best choice, but some of the whites are not too bad. We will buy bottles onboard to have at dinner, but it's always nice to have a glass before dinner on the balcony.

Our flight doesn't get in until evening and we're staying at an airport hotel in Miami, so I doubt we will find any stores nearby. I'm thinking we can pack some boxed wine in our luggage ... not the best choice, but some of the whites are not too bad. We will buy bottles onboard to have at dinner, but it's always nice to have a glass before dinner on the balcony.

I would ask at the hotel maybe you can get a taxi to a store near the hotel

or pick some up in the ports as you go

We went to a wine shop in NYC prior to embarking on Sirena in NY. Picked up 4 bottles of wine and brought them on-board in a small roll-on. White wines fit into the fridge, after removing some beverage cans and a small shelf in our cabin fridge.

Happy we brought our own wine, as prices for a decent bottle of wine on Sirena cost almost 3 times the amount of what we paid bringing our own wine....even with the $25 corkage fee O charges.

I would ask at the hotel maybe you can get a taxi to a store near the hotel

or pick some up in the ports as you go

Hotel Concierge might be able to direct you to a shop to purchase some wine.

If you can locate some wine shops within the area you're staying, you could also contact them to deliver your selections to your hotel upon your arrival and check in.

Our next cruises leave from Miami in April on a 21 day cruise. Normally I don't bring on much liquor with me, and we'll be in a suite that gives us the liquor set-up.

At most I'd "import" 3-4 bottles of wine for consumption on board. Maybe we'll find one of those liquor sources in Miami, or maybe I'll bring a few bottles with me. I do use "bottle protectors" that I've purchased in the past. Beyond that, we order from the wine list.

We don't go to the bars in general (unless someone wants to meet up for a drink) because DH doesn't drink and I'm happy to have my cocktail in our room. And for the same reason I don't buy the package because it would be wasted on us.

Mura

We are excited to begin our cruise in a couple of weeks from our hometown of Los Angeles. I want to take advantage of that and plan to bring a number of nice bottles of wine from home to enjoy at dinner and in our cabin. We have often brought wine onboard from a port, but those have been a couple of bottles at a time - never 10-12 at one time.

The question for those who have done it...What is the best way to go about doing this? In a dedicated suitcase with the bottles wrapped? Or in a crated box? Any tips on this very important issue :) is most welcome.

Catherine

We generally bring a case (12 bottles) of our wine on board, loading it at the same time we load our luggage. Occasionally, a handler is reluctant to accept the wine, but we have always gotten it on board. The wine is generally packaged in an ordinary wine shipping box with foam inserts, so it can be shipped as baggage during air travel. If we buy the wine at port, we pack it in a regular wine shipping box. Remember the corkage charges.

We generally bring a case (12 bottles) of our wine on board, loading it at the same time we load our luggage. Occasionally, a handler is reluctant to accept the wine, but we have always gotten it on board. The wine is generally packaged in an ordinary wine shipping box with foam inserts, so it can be shipped as baggage during air travel. If we buy the wine at port, we pack it in a regular wine shipping box. Remember the corkage charges.

We just did this in August on Marina, because we wanted to have some special wine in Privee. We had 6 bottles of wine shipped to us from one of our favorite wineries in Napa, and just left it in the same box. Checked the box as luggage at JFK with no problems, except we had to pay the extra luggage charge. Then there is the $25 per bottle corkage fee we had to pay in Privee. I guess, if you added all that up, it probably wasn't any less expensive than purchasing the bottles off the ship's wine list, but then we would not have had this particular wine to enjoy.