Just off Empress- never again!

I agree with this option. Citymom -- Knowing what I know now since I sailed Empress, I would encourage anyone I know to change their sailing to another ship. There are items they can (if they choose to) work out before your sailing, but there are items that just won't change (poor construction, for example)...a small ship is a small ship, but they've just tried to cram too much into tiny spaces.

Hmm, this is very interesting. I get the feeling from my TA that it's not going to work, but maybe I haven't given him enough leeway to negotiate our way out of this. I would actually pay more at this point but really don't want to pay more PLUS cancellation fees. It's so hard to know what to do.

Quite correct, only the earliest class of RCCL ships, like Song of Norway were stretched

As to Empress; she's still larger than Titanic, and carries less people than the former did! For many, she can still be a very agreeable ship to sail on.

For me, I'd take 48,000 tons any day of the week, even much less. Just watch how many you try to stuff on board. :D

Titanic also banned the majority of its passengers from the main activities.

You really need to spend the extra bucks on a newer and larger ship if you need all the extras that many newer cruises are used to. Lack of research is to blame if you expected similar amenities on a 26 year old ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I actually did not want some of the activities found on a Freedom Class and bigger ship. For our first cruise, I was hoping to ease my family into it and not overwhelm them with a shopping mall on the water. We really don't need all the bells and whistles. But we love ping pong. And shuffleboard. And movies. And cool workout spaces. And eating (with teen athletes, it is what they're most excited about!)

And now, (NOW!) 45 days until we cruise on a date which was incredibly hard to secure with work and school schedules, I learn that Empress doesn't have ANY of those things. So, yes, 100 lashes with a wet noodle for me for assuming (ass-u-me) that a Royal Caribbean ship would have those things. It's a bummer for sure. But I don't know what else to do.

You have brought up some valid points and I dont blame for for feeling upset and discouraged from going on another Royal ship. People go on vacation to enjoy themselves. When you run in to problem after problem it can be hard to "let it go." I was originally supposed to go on the Empress a few weeks ago but I was a cancellation. I was very curious about the kids club situation. Tiny rooms with lots of children?!? no thanks!!

Edited by Sunkissed Mommy

Thank you so much-this truly helps me so much.

I know it won't be perfect, but when you're the family's travel agent, the pressure is unreal. Add to that a husband who can never take time off, a college student halfway out of the house forever *sobs* and another teen about to graduate and you end up with feeling like THIS IS THE LAST VACATION EVER AND YOU'VE RUINED IT!

I am going to breathe deeply and ride it out. (I may also start building my alcohol tolerance.) I do find that some of the only vacations we remember are the ones that were the absolute worst ("Remember that time we rented a cabin for a week and the roof leaked and the toilet didn't work and the raccoons ate and and then pooped all over our food? That was SO FUN!") So if nothing else, this will be a memory-maker, right?

Great attitude! One of our family's most memorable vacations (20 years ago) was in a pop up camper, leaking in the rain and my husband almost blew up the camper. Alcohol helps, enjoy your cruise, sometimes it's what you make of it.

I agree shame on Royal for letting the Empress set sail before she was ready to live up to the Royal standard.

But, also, shame on you for having unrealistic expectations of this ship. The deck plans were out there, the amenities offered were listed. Why would you expect the ship to have things that it didn't? I simply don't understand. I also looked into booking the Empress when the announcements were first made about her return, and she was being marketed as a "party ship". After about 15 minutes of research, I quickly came to the conclusion that I would NOT be happy on her. I simply am used to, and prefer, larger ships, which offer amenities that only larger ships can support. I therefore, correctly it seems, decided that the Empress was not for me. If I had children, it would have been even easier to not book this ship.

I get that you had a frustrating experience, and I would be upset at the many mechanical issues you outlined as well... But don't blame Royal for your lack of research. That ship, even operating at 100% efficiency, would have let you down.

I actually did not want some of the activities found on a Freedom Class and bigger ship. For our first cruise, I was hoping to ease my family into it and not overwhelm them with a shopping mall on the water. We really don't need all the bells and whistles. But we love ping pong. And shuffleboard. And movies. And cool workout spaces. And eating (with teen athletes, it is what they're most excited about!)

And now, (NOW!) 45 days until we cruise on a date which was incredibly hard to secure with work and school schedules, I learn that Empress doesn't have ANY of those things. So, yes, 100 lashes with a wet noodle for me for assuming (ass-u-me) that a Royal Caribbean ship would have those things. It's a bummer for sure. But I don't know what else to do.

Don't worry about the food, they will get that worked out over the next 45 days. The black eye on a cruise line for not feeding people would be much to high to leave it messed up for that long.

The other stuff, at least you know now so you try to plan.

I am booked to sail on the 6th, actually leaving tomorrow for a few extra days and a quick trip to key west.

I am hoping for the best. I have the drink package, good friends sailing with us and I am packing a card game to play. The weather actually looks like it will be raining both shore days but what the hell. I will sit, drink and catch up with friends I haven't seen in a while.

And it really comes down to I don't have to work, so a bad day on vacation is still better then a good day at work. LOL

I believe Royal should of marketed Empress under a different brand. Too many folks are expecting the amenities of other ships in the fleet as witnessed here. Carnival was smart to market their smaller ship under the Fathom brand. A separate brand for Empress would of provided realisitc expectations that a ship as small as Empress could never live up to compared to her fleet mates within the Royal Caribbean brand.

Edited by coaster

I'd stop worrying about it, right now your expectations have been set really low, doubtful that a lot of the issues experienced on the inaugural cruise will still be happening in July.

Pack some games, cards, and books for the boat and restrict your swimming and sunning to the shore excursions.

I am booked to sail on the 6th, actually leaving tomorrow for a few extra days and a quick trip to key west.

I am hoping for the best. I have the drink package, good friends sailing with us and I am packing a card game to play. The weather actually looks like it will be raining both shore days but what the hell. I will sit, drink and catch up with friends I haven't seen in a while.

And it really comes down to I don't have to work, so a bad day on vacation is still better then a good day at work. LOL

THIS is someone who did it right. Realistic expectations, combined with a carefree attitude... You will be sure to enjoy yourself. Have a great cruise!

Hey Citymom..... hopefully things will be much smoother by the time you go. My guess is that the negative feedback will be taken very seriously and that things will improve.

Our first family cruise (our sons were about 13 and 16) was on Empress and we had a lot of fun, despite it not having all the frills. :)

I believe Royal should of marketed Empress under a different brand. Too many folks are expecting the amenities of other ships in the fleet as witnessed here. Carnival was smart to market their smaller ship under the Fathom brand. A separate brand for Empress would of provided realisitc expectations that a ship as small as Empress could never live up to compared to her fleet mates within the Royal Caribbean brand.

Absolutely. Agree100%

As to Empress; she's still larger than Titanic, and carries less people than the former did! For many, she can still be a very agreeable ship to sail on.

Not exactly Lou. Titanic was 200 feet longer than Empress. Empress just has a slightly larger enclosed volume (more "hotel" decks).

We knew going into this that it was a small ship with no frills, but we did expect the things they had listed. The crew didn't even know there was no pingpong as it was listed as competition for the day.

It might have just been a perfect storm as far as the kids were concerned. They were really excited about what WAS advertised as being on the ship only to find out it wasn't working or didn't make the cut after they had advertised it being on.

This seemed to be the issue with a lot of things. Several things were listed as being available but at some point they realized the ship just did not have the room so it was cut. Many of the crew members weren't yet aware of the changes and we were sent to several different areas only to at last find out about the change.

We finally had to change our expectations and choose to laugh at the whole experience.

We weren't frustrated by a naive wish it would be like the bigger ships. We were frustrated by not seeing what RCI had listed on their website as being on the ship. You all have a lot better info than their website. Consider me schooled.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Gina, Royal can do a lot in 45 days and given all the negative publicity regarding The Empress they will probably work quickly. I say stick around and keep reading the reviews. If the ship's condition does not improve over the next few sailing that you might want to have a 3-way call with your TA and Royal.

Sending positive vibes that changes will be addressed ASAP.

I like the idea of bringing some games and maybe some snacks :D

###

Edited by PhoenixCruiser

Gina, Royal can do a lot in 45 days and given all the negative publicity regarding The Empress they will probably work quickly. I say stick around and keep reading the reviews. If the ship's condition does not improve over the next few sailing that you might want to have a 3-way call with your TA and Royal.

Sending positive vibes that changes will be addressed ASAP.

I like the idea of bringing some games and maybe some snacks :D

###

Inside Sales Reps at RCI have amazing powers to help out T/A's, but if a switch is desired I'd start NOW and not wait longer for the limited amount of summer ships to fill up. Undoubtedly some aspects will improve with time in service, but if you don't want to gamble you have to start advocating sooner rather than later.

Something is making me go hmmmmm

I'm scheduled on the Empress for 6/16. Yesterday there were a lot of available cabins and have been right along. There were 18 JS's alone still available. Today the cruise is sold out. The next available Empress sailing with availability is 6/20.

I find it a little hard to believe that with all of this negative feedback and issues on the ship that people rushed to book all of a sudden.

I'm scheduled on the Empress for 6/16. Yesterday there were a lot of available cabins and have been right along. There were 18 JS's alone still available. Today the cruise is sold out. The next available Empress sailing with availability is 6/20.

I find it a little hard to believe that with all of this negative feedback and issues on the ship that people rushed to book all of a sudden.

June 6, June 11, June 16 now all showing as sold out.

Someone suggested that they might start reserving some cabins for additional workers who need to keep fixing things. I wonder if that's it?

And thanks for all the positive feedback. I will keep monitoring for another cruise to see what it looks like. I really like the tip of a three way phone call.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Someone suggested that they might start reserving some cabins for additional workers who need to keep fixing things. I wonder if that's it?

That's there will be workers aboard for the next few weeks is a very safe assumption.

Thanks for the fair and balanced review OP. Despite what the self anointed opinion police say, usually fair and balanced is received well. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes. Happy future sailings.

Sounds to me like they may be considering more cancelations... Yikes.

Empress seems like one to avoid. One of the most valuable assets of Cruise Critic is its ship reviews and there are absolutely no reviews for Empress by either CC or passengers (in the reviews section). Personally I wouldn't book any ship that didn't have at least fairly good reviews on CC.