Just off Empress- never again!

My husband spoke with Resolutions today, and they are reviewing our situation and will get back to us. He further sent emails to three RCCL executives, one of whom said to please be patient and wait for Resolutions to respond. Hopefully we will know something next week. However this is resolved for us, I will report back.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Hey are you the TravelGirl that goes with TravelGuy? I've long enjoyed your cabin review videos!

I was thinking it would have been better if we had booked through RCL!

While it is true that T/A's have access to Reps with a lot of pull, in this case I don't think it will matter and I don't think having booked direct with RCI would make a difference.

Thanks OP for your review. I'm so glad I did not book Empress for next Saturday.

Looking at an old brochure from 1995-1996 there are two pools listed, however, one of those pools was listed as a "Wading Pool" in the 2007-2008 brochure. Not sure if there were ever two pools, or if one of them was converted at some point.

Also in the 1995-1996 brochure is a picture of "Kids' Konnection" with an enclosed spiral slide and a folding card table with chairs in a playroom. Empress was sailing the 3 & Night sailing to The Bahamas then, with a call to Freeport, Bahamas instead of Key West on the 4 Night. This was long before the summer camp type programs of Adventure Ocean were offered.

On the Empress of the Seas home page: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=NE&shipCode=NE&br=R , the tagline under Empress of the Seas is "Party. Chill. Repeat." I can see why they are promoting the ship as a party cruise. They're hoping you won't bring the kids, get drunk, and not notice any of the problems with the ship like no A/C or lack of food.

My guess is that the problems in galleys that caused the 1st two rounds of cancellations are related to the A/C and hot water problems in the staterooms. The Food & Beverage director probably didn't order enough food anticipating a 3rd round of cancellations. With the bad press and loss of revenue, looks like Royal decided not to cancel again and most likely had just enough work done to pass inspection. Just my theory.

Hey are you the TravelGirl that goes with TravelGuy? I've long enjoyed your cabin review videos!

Yes, that's moi. ;) He uploaded our Empress cabin tour, by the way. We were so happy those first few hours after boarding.

Edited by TravlGrl

My parents are on her right now, they called me from key West yesterday, said its ok, their room the AC is working, No issues with toilets...

They said the first night they went to the MDR ordered the appetizer, got it then 1hr 15min later no main entrée nd they got up and left, said a huge table next to them full of younger folk drunk and loud. They were gonna order room service for some sandwiches but it was a 3hr wait!!!

They said Super Mario is booked with them for the next 2 months, sat and spoke with him for an hour or so, but this ship will be doing Cuba that's why they brought it back

Quite correct, only the earliest class of RCCL ships, like Song of Norway were stretched

As to Empress; she's still larger than Titanic, and carries less people than the former did! For many, she can still be a very agreeable ship to sail on.

For me, I'd take 48,000 tons any day of the week, even mucless. Just watch how many you try to stuff on board. :D

This ship was stretched one time after I was on her back in 1990.

I live in Oklahoma in a 2 story 100 year old house. 67 for us too - esp the upstairs unit!!!:eek::eek:

Judy

Would have to dig out my coat for 67. I actually have friends here in FL who keep their AC on 82. 75 or 76 for me.

I can't imagine being in an inside cabin under these circumstances, actually I can't imagine being in anything less than a baclony. Would freak out.

Would have to dig out my coat for 67. I actually have friends here in FL who keep their AC on 82. 75 or 76 for me.

I can't imagine being in an inside cabin under these circumstances, actually I can't imagine being in anything less than a baclony. Would freak out.

82? Why bother. Too hot for South Florida. 72 during the day and 70 at night. Too cold? Just walk outside.

The point is everyone has different optimal temperatures. You should be able to cool your cabin down to the upper 60's if you want, just like any hotel. It's a lot easier to warm up with clothing or blankets if you're cold, but not so easy to cool off if things are too hot.

Yes, that's moi. ;) He uploaded our Empress cabin tour, by the way. We were so happy those first few hours after boarding.

Just saw it and liked that you showed the semi-private front deck area too. I keep waiting for you to break out laughing while doing your reviews:D

Empress was not stretched.

Enchantment was stretched.

Perhaps you are confusing them because they both start with E?

:)

Nope she was call Nordic Empress she was stretched back around 1999 she was the first ship I heard about stretching. I cruise on her back in 1990+ have to check my history to get the date.

Nope she was call Nordic Empress she was stretched back around 1999 she was the first ship I heard about stretching. I cruise on her back in 1990+ have to check my history to get the date.

Song of Norway was stretched, NOT Nordic Empress.

I would be shocked if Merion Mom and LMaxwell were wrong about Empress. I think you've met your match with those two on ship history and might want to research it again.

"In the modern cruise industry, we can trace the practise of cutting ships in half and stretching them back to 1978 when Royal Caribbean lengthened Song of Norway by 85-feet. In a sense then, just like the trans-Atlantic passenger service in 1871, the practise of lengthening cruise ships has been around since the very beginning of the modern cruise industry after it had found its feet transitioning from ocean liners to cruise ships."

Incorrect. NORDIC EMPRESS/EMPRESS OF THE SEAS was never stretched. Her general arrangement is essentially the same today as when she was built, with some generally minor changes to room placement and purpose.

NORDIC PRINCE was stretched and this is the ship you are probably thinking of. She was one of the original RCCL trio along with SUN VIKING and SONG OF NORWAY. Of the original three, only SUN VIKING remained original and was not stretched.

Edited by eroller

Incorrect. NORDIC EMPRESS/EMPRESS OF THE SEAS was never stretched. Her general arrangement is essentially the same today as when she was built, with some generally minor changes to room placement and purpose.

NORDIC PRINCE was stretched and this is the ship you are probably thinking of. She was one of the original RCCL trio along with SUN VIKING and SONG OF NORWAY. Of the original three, only SUN VIKING remained original and was not stretched.

I check couldn't fine it so all these years I thought the ship was stretched its was one of the main reasons to go back on just to see it. Wow with all the problem with ship i may have do book this ship.

Did you purchase insurance through RC? They have a "cancel for any reason" policy which would give you a 75% cruise credit toward a future cruise. Thats better than 50%! :D

It doesn't exactly work that way Ryan. For future reference. 50% of your cruise fare, plus taxes and fees would be returned. Then you would receive a certificate for a future cruise, the value of which would only be 75% of that un-refunded other 50%. It's not really a very good deal.

The Empress took one last shot at us as we left. After standing in line for an hour, my SO was not allowed off the ship; he was told that "There is a message for you at Guest Services". (Do any of you remember my thread from December regarding my SO, Security, and the golf cart on Labadee? Same message!) The person helping us said that we were free to leave; after I asked what the problem was, she told us that "there was an accounting issue" and she had fixed it. This morning I found out how she fixed it. We use individual credit cards for on-board expenses. I checked my account online this morning and discovered that she had "fixed the problem" by putting his expenses on my credit card.

The Empress took one last shot at us as we left. After standing in line for an hour, my SO was not allowed off the ship; he was told that "There is a message for you at Guest Services". (Do any of you remember my thread from December regarding my SO, Security, and the golf cart on Labadee? Same message!) The person helping us said that we were free to leave; after I asked what the problem was, she told us that "there was an accounting issue" and she had fixed it. This morning I found out how she fixed it. We use individual credit cards for on-board expenses. I checked my account online this morning and discovered that she had "fixed the problem" by putting his expenses on my credit card.

Have you made the phone call to Post-Cruise Customer Relations to fix it, or is your SO just going to pay you back?

Have you made the phone call to Post-Cruise Customer Relations to fix it, or is your SO just going to pay you back?

He wants me to dispute the charge with BarclayCard to force RCI to deal with it, but I refuse to make this cruise any worse than it was. He will pay me back, and this will be one of the many items on my long list when I write a letter on Monday.

Just saw it and liked that you showed the semi-private front deck area too. I keep waiting for you to break out laughing while doing your reviews:D

He'll be posting a video of the MDR Monday. I'm not narrating or anything in that one! :)

That reminded me that I haven't shared our "last night on the ship" experiences with you. We received luggage tags number 14 (out of 17) from our steward instead of the numbers 3 or 4 that Diamond Plus & Diamonds were supposed to receive. The steward showed Bob her list, and we were indeed listed as 14. She did eventually give him lower numbered tags, but I don't think it was because she really understood what he was talking about. We received nothing else from her, and found out at 10:45 that luggage should have been out in the hall by 10:30 (and, yes, we have cruised enough to have known to have it out earlier). We managed to shove three out of four bags into the hallway, and as the crew members walked off with the luggage bin, I quickly zipped up my last bag (that was not completely packed) and literally ran down the hall barefoot to give it to them. Bob went to GS to get our customs forms early the next morning, as the steward had not provided any. I had too much stuff to fit into my carryon, so I put the overflow into a cheap plastic Beall's bag that already had been stretched/weakened because it had been hanging from a clothes hanger in the closet, holding my hairdryer and related hair stuff for the last five days. I carried it very carefully so it wouldn't split, but it finally discharged some of my stuff onto the sidewalk as I waited to be picked up (the older lady with the leopard-print nightgown on the sidewalk was me!).

Edited by ZoeyVictoria