Thoughts on Noumea, New Caledonia

We were in Noumea 2 weeks ago for the second time this year. It is a nice city as long as you get out and about, so many people say they don't like it, but you have to get away from the cruise terminal area. I would recommend any of the previous suggestions. Local tours, Tchou Tchou train and HOHO bus can all be picked up at the cruise terminal which you will be bussed around to from the ship, they all accept Aussie dollars and are all run by reputable tour guides, so do not feel you need to book tours through the ship for safety reasons unless there is something specific you wanted to do. There are also small market stalls upstairs that accept aussie dollars also. Most shops in town require French Francs. Whatever you do enjoy. Robin:)

thanks for the reply.

Having just returned last Thursday from a cruise that included Noumea, my opinion is that if you understand that New Caledonia is actually a third world colony of France, and not a thriving western country, you will enjoy the place as much as I did, which was immensely.

However I can understand that it may be something of a shock to those without previous exposure to similar places. I am fortunate enough to have lived in SE Asia for many years, and that is a real education believe me.

I forgot to mention some of the tasty food you can try our favorite NEMS which are Spring rolls made out crepe batter with chicken or beef and vegies about $2 from the takeaway type shops

There are some also some awesome chocolate shops and partisseries with lots of sweet and savoury delights.

We have been there when the markets are on in Coconut Square and they also worth a look.

Like any other cruise stop, a place like Noumea needs to be explored. You need to get away from the port area. Too many cruise pax just check out the local port area/shops or do a quick return tender trip. Waste of time, you need to spend a few bucks and explore properly.

Like any other cruise stop, a place like Noumea needs to be explored. You need to get away from the port area. Too many cruise pax just check out the local port area/shops or do a quick return tender trip. Waste of time, you need to spend a few bucks and explore properly.

Agreed, we stopped to have coffee at a little shop hidden away in one of the arcades, and ended up spending a very enjoyable hour speaking with the couple who owned it. Boy Oh Boy did we get steered to some great places and shops.

Having just returned last Thursday from a cruise that included Noumea, my opinion is that if you understand that New Caledonia is actually a third world colony of France, and not a thriving western country, you will enjoy the place as much as I did, which was immensely.

However I can understand that it may be something of a shock to those without previous exposure to similar places. I am fortunate enough to have lived in SE Asia for many years, and that is a real education believe me.

That's why I like it so much. It's a small island community with French flair, and some seriously good French food.

Agreed, we stopped to have coffee at a little shop hidden away in one of the arcades, and ended up spending a very enjoyable hour speaking with the couple who owned it. Boy Oh Boy did we get steered to some great places and shops.

Which ship? In which arcade? C'mon, you have to share those details. ;)

If you snorkel then a half day trip out to the UNESCO World Heritage listed lagoon for some reef snorkelling is worthwhile.

I always find Noumea has the best T-Shirt designs anywhere on the South Pacific cruises so recommend to buy them there if you want any. The small shops near the main square are the best I've found.

Lost of people rave about the day trip to Amedee Island not cheap but may be of interest - here is the link to Royals day trip info.

avalon007,

Thank you for the info.

The cruise we will be on will visit Noumea a week before Beensailing's cruise and I'm trying to decide on snorkeling at the World Heritage site on Noumea or Port Vila, Vanuatu. I can only talk DH into one snorkeling excursion so if anyone has feed back on which is better, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Utahtea

avalon007,

Thank you for the info.

The cruise we will be on will visit Noumea a week before Beensailing's cruise and I'm trying to decide on snorkeling at the World Heritage site on Noumea or Port Vila, Vanuatu. I can only talk DH into one snorkeling excursion so if anyone has feed back on which is better, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Utahtea

If you're calling at Mare then take the bus ride to the beach on the other side of the island. Go to the tent just about opposite to where the bus, big or small, drops you off and buy a lobster. Then when you swim go right out to the reef, you will not be disappointed with what you see there or on the way there and back.

The $20.00 lobster that was served up to us, with salad and rice cooked with chicken broth, would have cost $140.00 in Sydney markets.

Utahtea, what are your other ports.

My favorite snorkelling is at the Natural Aquarium on the Isle of pines not so much for the coral but for the fish.

Well this is a 39 day cruise so I'll just name the ports that I'd be open to snorkeling at. I love finding interesting fish when snorkeling! I am a very novice snorkeler but I am brining my own snorkel.

Pago Pago, Tutuila, American Samoa

Suva, Viti Levu, Fiji Islands

Dravuni Island, Fiji - plan on snorkeling from beach

Port Vila, Vanuatu

Easo, Lifou, New Caledonia - plan on snorkeling from beach

Noumea, New Caledonia

then we go on to Australia and New Zealand, but those ports are already booked.

Thanks,

Utahtea

If you're calling at Mare then take the bus ride to the beach on the other side of the island. Go to the tent just about opposite to where the bus, big or small, drops you off and buy a lobster. Then when you swim go right out to the reef, you will not be disappointed with what you see there or on the way there and back.

The $20.00 lobster that was served up to us, with salad and rice cooked with chicken broth, would have cost $140.00 in Sydney markets.

Sounds great but my cruise isn't stopping at Mare.

Utahtea

Well this is a 39 day cruise so I'll just name the ports that I'd be open to snorkeling at. I love finding interesting fish when snorkeling! I am a very novice snorkeler but I am brining my own snorkel.

Pago Pago, Tutuila, American Samoa

Suva, Viti Levu, Fiji Islands

Dravuni Island, Fiji - plan on snorkeling from beach

Port Vila, Vanuatu

Easo, Lifou, New Caledonia - plan on snorkeling from beach

Noumea, New Caledonia

then we go on to Australia and New Zealand, but those ports are already booked.

Thanks,

Utahtea

Port Vila, hire a "taxi" for the day at the port. Go to Cascade Waterfalls, then to Hideaway Island (snorkelling) and then into town and back to port. Or Iririkki Island is nice. Take a taxi to the Islands jetty (right in town). Pay the fee- the cost includes your boat ride over (5 min) and a lunch tab. So if it was $20 ticket, you can spend $20 on food/drinks.

Lifou- Jinek Bay-buy the snorkelling ticket from the ship (if available) as they only allow certain amount of people a day. You walk there from the ship.

At Lifou the best snorkelling is at Jinek Bay, a short walk from the beach where the tender dock is. It costs AU$15 to snorkel there and they restrict the number of people in the water at any one time, to minimise damage to the reef. There is only one way to get down into that bay so you can't just do your own thing there. The reef is spectacular though, and very easy for novice snorkelers.

It sounds like your cruise will

have several beach days.

Dravuni Island is gorgeous I definately recommend a walk up the hill the view is spectacular. We also took a boat tour around the island with a local who then took my husband fishing, The snorkelling was really good.

Lifou it is also worthwhile taking a local tour to the other side of the island and to see the local attractions. Last time I was there it was Christmas Day there was some cultural activities at the wharf and even Santa popped in. Every time we have snorkelled there we have swum with turtles and it is very special.