Dress code for NON formal nights.....

Hi All!!!

Can you guys let me know what is "acceptable" in the MDR for the non-formal nights?

Can guys wear like Docker type shorts with a nice top? Or is there no shorts allowed?

Thanks!!!:D

Hi All!!!

Can you guys let me know what is "acceptable" in the MDR for the non-formal nights?

Can guys wear like Docker type shorts with a nice top? Or is there no shorts allowed?

You can wear whatever you are comfortable in. They only suggest what to wear but not enforced. Shorts are quite common.

Hi All!!!

On all ships except Quantum class (and possibly Empress), they request no shorts in the dining room in the evening. However, they are unlikely to enforce it, so feel free to wear whatever you want.

Hi All!!!

It's supposed to be no shorts but many men, including myself, wear shorts with a nice shirt. Have been doing it for the past few cruises. 20 years ago I wore slacks and button down shirts.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Shorts are not allowed at dinner time. They may not enforce that, as they don't really want to have to confront passengers, but they do say that shorts are not appropriate for dinner in the MDR.

Hi All!!!

Shorts are allowed.

I have seen men asked to change when wearing shorts and/or sleeveless shirts. Men have also been asked to remove hats. It does depend on the ship.

Is that recently? Just off Adventure and shorts and baseball caps were being worn even on formal nights...cruises are becoming more and more casual.

Put some pants on. No one wants to see men's nasty legs while they eat. On Allure in Mar they turned men in shorts away but did allow LITTLE BOYS in shorts.

Pro Cruise Tips

a. wear pants at all times

b. eat breakfast and lunch via room service

c. stop crawling around MDR floor / under tables

:D:D

I have seen men asked to change when wearing shorts and/or sleeveless shirts. Men have also been asked to remove hats. It does depend on the ship.

Do you mind giving us a list of the ships where you've seen this happen?

It's been nearly 10 years since I've seen it.

Do you mind giving us a list of the ships where you've seen this happen?

It's been nearly 10 years since I've seen it.

I was on a Bermuda cruise with Grandeur in 2015, came back from a delayed RCI shore excursion wearing shorts and a decent shirt, was told by the MDR greeter to come back in trousers. He said that if management were to see him accept shorts at the evening meal, he would have to pack his bags and go home.

Put some pants on. No one wants to see men's nasty legs while they eat. On Allure in Mar they turned men in shorts away but did allow LITTLE BOYS in shorts.

Unless the nasty hairy man legs are on your plate, I can't imagine why it would would bother you to see man legs, or why you would even notice them.

Hi All!!!

To actually answer your question, here isthe exact dress code from RCCL website. As you can see, it specifically states "shorts are acceptable for lunch." Shorts at dinner are not allowed. Dockers are fine anytime. Now, if you go against the dress code they will likely let you in. But as others have said, they can also turn you away. More and more are ignoring the dress code (yes, as you can see, on the website it does say "code," not "suggestion." In other places it does say "suggestion" and not "code"). Guess it's up to you. If you want to know how the Cruise line asks you do dress, here it is. If you want to ignore it, guess that's up to you.

"Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Note: Smart Casual is allowed on Boarding Day at The Grande Restaurant (should only be included where we are speaking about The Grande)"

Edited by papaflamingo

Unless the nasty hairy man legs are on your plate, I can't imagine why it would would bother you to see man legs, or why you would even notice them.

Because fine dining and appropriate dress are something many people still enjoy, and if everyone was as beautiful as you then maybe this would be less of a problem, but I just prefer to not be anywhere near chaffing, nasty, scabby, sunburned, hangnails, or have to sit on the chair after your lotion from the back of your knees is smeared all over it. BTW, I don't really care to see your butt crack through your cover up or friends hairy back through his A-shirt in the buffet line either, but oh well. Unless it's Kim Basinger and Mickey Rourke, in 9 1/2 weeks, skin and food just don't mix, for me. Now skin and booze, okay, skin and pools, beaches, okay. My wife and I think Orient Beach is lovely.

Edited by kjmjrm

This is what I wrote in my review of Adventure of the Seas from October 2015. This was also true (Which I posted in my reviews) of my Freedom, Enchantment, and Serenade cruises before this.

There was the “Suggested” clothing for each night in the daily Cruise Compass (Casual except for the two formal nights), but it was obvious that RCI is backing away from enforcing the suggested clothing on any given night in the MDR. I will not give my views as to what we think as that is not the purpose of my review. Casual was defined in the cruise compass as: “Sundresses or slacks and blouses for the ladies, sport shirts and trousers for the gentlemen”.

Day 1 Casual (Whatever you wore aboard)

Day 2 – Formal (Sunday)

Day 3 – Casual / 70’s Attire

Day 4 – Casual / Wear Something White (Sea Day)

Day 5 – Casual / Caribbean

Day 6 – Formal (Thursday)

Day 7 – Casual (Sea Day)

HOWEVER

We saw it all in the MDR. We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals. The women were however generally dressed much nicer than the men they were with.

Kids (And there wasn’t very many on this cruise) wore pretty much the same style of clothing that you would see their parents in.

Formal Nights:

There are two formal nights on this cruise on Sunday & Thursday and the style of dress on these nights were men in Tux, suits, shirt and ties, dinner jacket with slacks shirt and tie or with an open shirt collar. Women wore gowns, evening dresses

And Also On Formal Night………………………………….

We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals.

There was the “Suggested” clothing for each night in the daily Cruise Compass, but was obvious that RCI is backing away from enforcing the suggested clothing on any given night in the MDR. I will not give my views as to what we think as that is not the purpose of my review.

I agree but mostly because the MDR is so beautiful and the table service so fine dining. It just will feel out of place for the person wearing docker shorts. I'm sure a man would feel more comfortable in say docker pants at such a fancy place. I think there are plenty of places on the ship to wear shorts say the windjammer.

That being said. Royal Caribbean is a budget cruise line and like other posters have said it won't be enforced. It doesn't really bug me........ If I felt strongly I would cruise a more upscale line that enforced it.

Edited by Panda3

There was the “Suggested” clothing for each night in the daily Cruise Compass (Casual except for the two formal nights), but it was obvious that RCI is backing away from enforcing the suggested clothing on any given night in the MDR.

I don't think they've ever been much into "enforcing" the clothing rules, but passengers used to be more likely to respect them. That is what seems to be changing.

Because fine dining and appropriate dress are something many people still enjoy, and if everyone was as beautiful as you then maybe this would be less of a problem, but I just prefer to not be anywhere near chaffing, nasty, scabby, sunburned, hangnails, or have to sit on the chair after your lotion from the back of your knees is smeared all over it. BTW, I don't really care to see your butt crack through your cover up or friends hairy back through his A-shirt in the buffet line either, but oh well. Unless it's Kim Basinger and Mickey Rourke, in 9 1/2 weeks, skin and food just don't mix, for me. Now skin and booze, okay, skin and pools, beaches, okay. My wife and I think Orient Beach is lovely.

Nice diatribe.

I dress up for dinner in the MDR and specialty dining, even on non formal nights. But I am more engrossed in conversations with my companions and enjoying the food, than I am with noticing what others are wearing. Maybe you need better table mates if you're bored enough to be critiquing everyone's choice in clothing around you. Good luck!

Same. en"gross"ed is right. A shame you pay all that money for a cruise and all you do is eat and talk. People watching is a lot of fun, if not a little off-putting occasionally in the MDR these days :-) its all good. Enjoy.