Allure or Oasis?

We are looking to book a Caribbean cruise for next July. We can sail out of either Fort Lauderdale or Orlando and so we have the choice of either Oasis or Allure.

Both itineraries look good so which one do we choose? It would probably fit slightly better with our plans to sail from Orlando but we would be happy to go from FL.

Any help with decision would be appreciated.:D

Do you have a preference for Saturday departure over Sunday departure?

Do you have a preference for Mamma Mia vs Cats?

I believe once Oasis moved to Port Canaveral, she will also have a Sunday departure.

So it comes down to the different shows, and Solarium Bistro (Oasis) vs. Samba Grill (Allure).

Edited by clarea

We are looking to book a Caribbean cruise for next July. We can sail out of either Fort Lauderdale or Orlando and so we have the choice of either Oasis or Allure.

Both itineraries look good so which one do we choose? It would probably fit slightly better with our plans to sail from Orlando but we would be happy to go from FL.

Any help with decision would be appreciated.:D

I would go on either. Price out the whole cruise including flights (if needed), hotel, transportation to the port (more expensive in Port Canaveral since MCO is 45 min from port) and anything else I am forgetting.

You really can't go wrong with either ship.

Are they the only dfferences?

I have seen both shows several times and lean towards Mamma Mia but neither is a deal breaker and we are talking 2017 so will they still be the shows?

The two eating venues differ how?

Solarium Bistro: http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/solariumbistro.pdf

Samba Grill: http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/sambagrill.pdf

Since the shows changed not that long ago, it's likely they will be the same in 2017.

Edited by clarea

Thanks, the original plan was to fly from the UK, do a couple of days pre cruise to re visit the theme parks, drive down the Fort Lauderdale stay overnight pre cruise, cruise, then a week on Marco Island post cruise and then either fly home from a southern airport or go back up to Orlando.

Now I am thinking Fly into Orlando, 2 days there, Oasis out of PC, drive to Marco Island then fly home from either Tampa or Orlando.

I am costing both options but there doesn't seem to be much in it cruise wise.

Actually though, thinking about car hire, if we did Oasis, we may not need a car till we came off the cruise as our preferred hotels run park shuttles.

Is there transportation from Orlando to PC which is readily available or would we still need a car for theat leg of the journey?

Edited by evitacruiser

If you are doing a few days at theme parks pre-cruise then your only option is a car service. We did that a few years ago from Disney to PC and for a town car it was $140. It was nice being on our own schedule and being able to stop on route to grab last minute stuff to take on board.

Keep in mind there is a nice Hyatt inside the terminal at MCO. We stay there if we have either a late arriving flight or early departure. Plus if you are there pre-cruise you could book the ships shuttle from MCO to PC.

Something nobody else probably thinks about but me. Allure no longer has pretzel dogs in the Wipeout cafe. Oasis still does. However, much prefer Mama Mia on the Allure over Cats. Tough choice. Oasis wins by a hair. Just one man's opinion.

Tim

Edited by cruisin4kicks

Thanks, the original plan was to fly from the UK, do a couple of days pre cruise to re visit the theme parks, drive down the Fort Lauderdale stay overnight pre cruise, cruise, then a week on Marco Island post cruise and then either fly home from a southern airport or go back up to Orlando.

Now I am thinking Fly into Orlando, 2 days there, Oasis out of PC, drive to Marco Island then fly home from either Tampa or Orlando.

I am costing both options but there doesn't seem to be much in it cruise wise.

Actually though, thinking about car hire, if we did Oasis, we may not need a car till we came off the cruise as our preferred hotels run park shuttles.

Is there transportation from Orlando to PC which is readily available or would we still need a car for theat leg of the journey?

Rent a car for the drive to the port. Alamo, Enterprise and one other have an office across from the port. Free shuttle to and from the ship. Cheaper than a shuttle or taxi!

Oh dear I have only just realised that Harmony is also sailing out of FL on the same dates!

I assume prices will be a lot higher though?

Has anyone researched the new amenities onboard? Will this ship be so much better that it is worth the extra?

I think we have settled on sailing out of Fort Lauderdale and staying on the gulf coast rather than going up to Orlando. It means we can see the Keys and other places we haven't seen. So now just to choose the ship!

you will have a great time on either ship, regardless of the main show or if one has a certain kind of food or not. That won't make it or break it. Now, depending on price or stateroom, that may make your difference.

Oh dear I have only just realised that Harmony is also sailing out of FL on the same dates!

I assume prices will be a lot higher though?

Has anyone researched the new amenities onboard? Will this ship be so much better that it is worth the extra?

I think we have settled on sailing out of Fort Lauderdale and staying on the gulf coast rather than going up to Orlando. It means we can see the Keys and other places we haven't seen. So now just to choose the ship!

We had this same dilemma. We've never cruised on Allure, Oasis, or Harmony. Prices are so much higher for Harmony, we booked Allure. I think we'll be "wowed" even though Allure/Oasis are slightly older. For folks who have sailed Oasis and Allure a bunch, then maybe it makes sense to spend extra to try Harmony.

But for a first timer, go with the less expensive option, and in a couple years you can book Harmony when the costs equalize. For us it wasn't worth the extra $2,000 to book Harmony.

Edited by micmacmissy

I think you may well be right. We have sailed Independence previously, so as you say either ship will be a wow.

Thank you all for the help, I think that unless we can get a fantastic deal on Harmony (unlikely!) then it will be Allure for us simly based on the logisitics of not having to travel north.

We had this same dilemma. We've never cruised on Allure, Oasis, or Harmony. Prices are so much higher for Harmony, we booked Allure. I think we'll be "wowed" even though Allure/Oasis are slightly older. For folks who have sailed Oasis and Allure a bunch, then maybe it makes sense to spend extra to try Harmony.

But for a first timer, go with the less expensive option, and in a couple years you can book Harmony when the costs equalize. For us it wasn't worth the extra $2,000 to book Harmony.

Agreed.

I will also say....I had the same choice for my honeymoon. Basically Oasis on an eastern route out of Port Canaveral, and Allure on a western route out of Port Everglades. We went with the allure. The biggest reason for this was because at the time it was slightly less expensive. Furthermore, due to certain events (wedding) we have to fly in from Dallas on Sunday morning. The biggest appeal to me about FLL is the proximity to the airport. Port everglades in Orlando is not exactly in orlando. It is around an hour away so ground transportation was a challenge and adding and hour of driving made me uncomfortable....too many steps that could go awry given our circumstance.