Gratuity Breakdown

kpadalik

It has been around 10-12 hours over two shifts so that they could service rooms 2x daily. I'm just saying the math above would be 10 hours straight to service rooms only once. Does not add up.

Right, I realize that they service most rooms twice a day for about 15 minutes each time. I am sorry if I did not state that the first time.

The crew does work very hard and I am happy to tip them.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

We usually have OBC (from booking onboard, stockholder, Military Apprection Month) to pay for gratuities. With the price increase we decided to prepay this year for our B2B (14-days) on Conquest next January.

However, we always tip extra to steward & waitstaff at the end of each week.

I wonder often why the dining team gets so much when the room stewards work just as hard? Why not divide it equally?

The waitstaff work just as hard and it's a head waiter and two assistants, not the (usual) one steward and (usually) two half-time assistants.

We have seen dining staff all over the ship. Who do you think rolls the billions of silverware rolls in the buffet?

Also seen our assistant steward washing the Promenade deck floors.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We always pre pay our tips and add a little extra to staff members that have done an exceptional job.

I have a silly question. I have cruised ~9 times on carnival and each time I would tell my PVP that I'd go ahead and prepay my gratuities. Each time on my S&S account, I would also see the gratuity charge show up at the end of the cruise.

So, did I pay twice? What exactly is "prepay" and how does one check that they are in fact Prepaid?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have a silly question. I have cruised ~9 times on carnival and each time I would tell my PVP that I'd go ahead and prepay my gratuities. Each time on my S&S account, I would also see the gratuity charge show up at the end of the cruise.

So, did I pay twice? What exactly is "prepay" and how does one check that they are in fact Prepaid?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you actually prepaid you wouldn't have gotten charged onboard.

It will show in your booking. Go to print your documents and the summary one or something like that. It will also be in your invoice. It should look like this:

OPTIONAL CHARGES

Prepaid Gratuities$84.00

Total Optional Charges$84.00

Even though most of the tipped crew comes from all over, I'm wondering if there isn't some legal reason why they are gratuities and not part of the fare.

More I think of it, I'm sure that Carnival sails around (see what I did there) a bunch of legal issues. They are based out of Doral, FL, so they have US FLSA laws to deal with, but the ships are under a Panama flag of convenience which covers the on-board crew.

When I book my cruise I do it via their web site, but it could be that when you do the gratuities, they charge it on the ship, therefore it's not taxable US income or something like that.

Also, in the tip allotment, it must be said they get free room and board (quality wise could be debated), and from tales told, free booze and condoms.

I'm guessing that's why last cruise, the people working Lido in the morning don't seem all there :)

Even though most of the tipped crew comes from all over, I'm wondering if there isn't some legal reason why they are gratuities and not part of the fare.

More I think of it, I'm sure that Carnival sails around (see what I did there) a bunch of legal issues. They are based out of Doral, FL, so they have US FLSA laws to deal with, but the ships are under a Panama flag of convenience which covers the on-board crew.

When I book my cruise I do it via their web site, but it could be that when you do the gratuities, they charge it on the ship, therefore it's not taxable US income or something like that.

Also, in the tip allotment, it must be said they get free room and board (quality wise could be debated), and from tales told, free booze and condoms.

I'm guessing that's why last cruise, the people working Lido in the morning don't seem all there :)

None of crew income is subject to any US income tax unless the crew members are US citizens.

Booze is not free to crew but sold at a reduced rate.

That would be fine to have to jump through some awkward hoops to claim that your vacation was the pits. Tip removal would probably plummet.

My guess would be that (based on my history of receiving outstanding service on cruise ships) most, if not all, removed tips are due to a realization of how much alcohol the remover consumed and the desire to economize elsewhere at the expense of hardworking staff.

And Flamers, please notice, I said MOST not ALL ... and I'm sure NObody here at CC would ever fall into the "remove due to over spending on alcohol" group.:D

Don't know about legal reasons but they manage it in other parts if the World, without the whole industry collapsing.

Personally I think it's because they know Americans would still top on top again even if it was in the fare.

Seems many just can't help themselves.

None of crew income is subject to any US income tax unless the crew members are US citizens.

Booze is not free to crew but sold at a reduced rate.

Yeah...forgot they do have a small charge for drinks - otherwise nothing would ever get done.

As for income, I mean Carnival as a corporate entity would possibly not have to report the gratuities as taxable income, not the crew.

Yeah...forgot they do have a small charge for drinks - otherwise nothing would ever get done.

As for income, I mean Carnival as a corporate entity would possibly not have to report the gratuities as taxable income, not the crew.

Carnival is not subject to US corporate taxes.

If those tax laws applied and they had to report them, (and I don't think they do) they'd then just claim them as a deduction anyway.

Just as any company claims a deduction for wages paid out.

Basic accounting.

Why not?

Showing I know nothing about corporate finances - just an IT guy!

So now we "KNOW" who every crew member sends money too.

I don't know or care what every crew member does with their earnings. However, I have been to the Philippines, Hong Kong, and Indonesia (Jakarta and Bali). It is a fact of life that many of these people leave their homeland to make a living, there are just no jobs or they can make more in other countries.

I'm no expert or anything, but it is common knowledge that many of these crew members have spouses, children and sometimes even extended family members that depend on them for support.

I don't know or care what every crew member does with their earnings. However, I have been to the Philippines, Hong Kong, and Indonesia (Jakarta and Bali). It is a fact of life that many of these people leave their homeland to make a living, there are just no jobs or they can make more in other countries.

I'm no expert or anything, but it is common knowledge that many of these crew members have spouses, children and sometimes even extended family members that depend on them for support.

What's your point then?

I am so glad they are automatic. I know it makes some people feel good to personally hand out tips, but it would make me feel the oppositeI wouldn't want to be thanked in person for handing out envelopes of cash. It would be the most uncomfortable and awkward feeling for me and I'd probably not cruise again if I had learned that was how it still worked.

I would like to see more transparency in who it covers since the cruise lines are the ones collecting the money. And I 100% believe that every penny of what they collect should go back to those tipped positions. If they want money to throw staff parties or appreciation events, they can build that into the fare and not take it from the gratuities.

Edited by Freckle53

Not exactly true. Carnival and RCCL follow the tax laws of the United States.

No, they don't. They are flagged under another country for that reason. Same as Michael Bloomberg's yacht is flagged under the Cayman Islands, to avoid US luxury taxes. http://www.occasionalplanet.org/2014/04/16/mega-yachts-for-the-mega-rich-and-the-flags-they-fly/

I am so glad they are automatic. I know it makes some people feel good to personally hand out tips, but it would make me feel the oppositeI wouldn't want to be thanked in person for handing out envelopes of cash. It would be the most uncomfortable and awkward feeling for me and I'd probably not cruise again if I had learned that was how it still worked.

I would like to see more transparency in who it covers since the cruise lines are the ones collecting the money. And I 100% believe that every penny of what they collect should go back to those tipped positions. If they want money to throw staff parties or appreciation events, they can build that into the fare and not take it from the gratuities.

It does go to the intended crew. Why folks concern themselves of accounting of the relatively small portion of the cruise costs instead of the thousands of the rest of the fare...Why don't people question if the fuel bill was paid, was the liquor bill paid, the food bill, the sewage fee, the dock fees, the toilet paper bill. etc?

It makes some people feel superior when they dole out the largess and gives them cause to reduce the amount when the recipients fail to demonstrate the appropriate level of gratitude.

Not exactly true. Carnival and RCCL follow the tax laws of the United States.

No, they don't. They are flagged under another country for that reason. Same as Michael Bloomberg's yacht is flagged under the Cayman Islands, to avoid US luxury taxes. http://www.occasionalplanet.org/2014/04/16/mega-yachts-for-the-mega-rich-and-the-flags-they-fly/

Yes, they do. Where a vessel is flagged doesn't negate where and when a corporation follows U.S. taxation regulations.

It may be true that the majority of Carnival's activities are deemed not subject to U.S. taxes but to say they categorically do not have to abide by U.S. tax regulations would be myopic.

Take a read of their Annual Report and Form 10-K for a better understanding.

They are expected to service rooms in under 12 minutes. Some have been telling guests they have 35 rooms but I can't verify that. At that number to have any downtime they have to service in 8 minutes or less.

If they spent 30 minutes per room and only had 20 rooms that would be 10 hours non-stop work to service a room 1x daily...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

On Carnival Magic 2/15 and Triumph 10/15 housekeepers had 27 cabins to clean with an assistant. Royal Liberty of the Seas 4/16 they had 16-17 cabins, no helper. I actually checked the assignment worksheet on several carts and talked to a couple of them. Btw, the Royal cabin was the cleanest.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by iluvit!

You could be right about the reason tips aren't included in the fare, but I doubt that is the reason. Holland America used to have tips included in the fare and they had a no tipping necessary policy which changed a few years ago. I believe it's not included because none of the main stream lines do that and it would make Carnival appear as though their prices were higher and to the majority of Carnival cruisers, price is the determining factor. If all of them did it, there would then be yelling about having the tips included in the fare.

I wish that the tips would become a mandatory service charge and be called such. If there is a problem, Carnival would need to be notified and given a chance to fix the problem. If it stays unresolved, then that portion of the tips could be removed. Not reporting the problem means you pay, no exceptions!

There are many who prefer to pay personally and I feel, not all, but several of the passengers doing so, don't tip all that Carnival has as part of the tips. Also there are those who spend their money on booze etc and have nothing left for tips as well as not tipping for kids because they had to pay a 3rd or 4th person rate and they feel kids should be free.

Anything can be rationalized and I believe the cruisers do an excellent job with that.