Royal vs Carnival: an honest opinion

I generally put NCL,Royal and Carnival in the Family mainstream. I then put Princess, Celebrity together as the slightly upscale mainstream. Then MSC,Costa,P&O, Thompson, Aida etc as targeted nationality mainstream lines. Cunard I am undecided about due to their history and overall presentation. I recently saw a lot of their history at the Seacity museum Ocean liners exhibition after this cruise in Southampton....wonderful stuff for any Cunard/White star/cruise history fan.

Your car comparison is actually apt. Cruises all have the same basic product and features but present them differently. What I like discussing is how different they really are when you get down to it. Are some lines just really 'all fur coat and no knickers'? as we say over here.

Hey I have been on the Carnival Valor, and X Equinox. I a heck of a lot more fun on the Valor, but Equinox is a nicer ship. So compare all you like, great review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly have no desire to sail on Carnival, but I'd be interested to read the Celebrity review as I'll be on the Reflection in February. I started to try and find it - but I don't have the patience to go through 90 pages of posts. Any chance you could provide a link?

Thanks! :)

You actually did a Celebrity vs Carnival review? No offense, but what was the point of that? Did you really think =X= would be anything like CCL?

Comparisons can be made to highlight differences, not just similarities. Two things do not need to be nearly identical to compare and contrast and offer opinions of your experiences.

Great comparison ... I am diamond pushing diamond plus on royal and gold on Carnival.. I find differences to be minimal and where i find differences they are purely subjective... I think Carnival wins on food..sea day brunch is the bomb... loved the tasty bites or whatever they are called in the late afternoon ..i like that you can use your drink package on Royal's private island or since i cruise often with my mother in her seventies I like that i can get a drink package without her ...but overall the differences are minimal and people who refuse to even consider one line or the other are missing out... just my two cents

i have sailed 9 times on carnival and 3 on rccl and one booked on each. i find they they are much more similar than different. the only reason i sail carnival more since i find the cruises almost the same is the cost factor which carnival almost always wins.

You actually did a Celebrity vs Carnival review? No offense, but what was the point of that? Did you really think =X= would be anything like CCL?

Why not do a Cunard vs Carnival review?

I, personally, love Celebrity because it IS "sedate", same for Cunard. Everyone has different tastes.

Compare apples to apples, and that is what you are doing now- good thing! :)

comparing any cruise line to any other cruise line is comparing apples to apples. whether it be x, cunard, msc, carnival, rccl, etc..... they have ships that sail the ocean and that is an apple to apple comparison.

people who refuse to even consider one line or the other are missing out... just my two cents

I couldn't agree more!! I will be going on my third RCI cruise on Harmony in November, but just booked NCL Getaway for Nov 2017. I can't wait to try a new line. I have my eye on Carnival Vista (or the Vista 2) for 2018. How can you say you like one better than another, if you haven't tried them?? I see all these people who are "Loyal to Royal" but they have only ever sailed Royal. It's like my son, how do you know you don't like brussel sprouts until you try it!! PS, he loves brussel sprouts now! Lol

Speaking for myself, I am not "loyal" to any one line. Of the ones I have tried, I rank them Disney, Royal, and far below, Holland America.

I have investigated them all, and I know my likes and dislikes. There are enough things that hit my dislikes on Carnival and NCL I know that I do not like them. I don't have to have been ON a line to know that there are aspects of it I don't like - because those same things exist in the non-cruise world and I dislike them there. Ditto why I refuse to go on a Behemoth of the Seas. I dislike aspects of them in real life and don't see the need to pay for the experience to "try it".

To assume that when we say we will never go on a certain line it's just because we haven't been on them - and liken it to trying a food for the first time is just as ignorant and misguided as you're accusing us of being.

I really enjoyed reading this thread. We sail on FOS..first time on RCI in September.

HATE to hear that not much Trivia. We really enjoy playing and meeting the people who play. ALWAYS great people.

Don't like Lobster ( not much lobster in hill country of N. Alabama) so not an issue. Do want to go to Johnny Rockets....sounded nice. DO they have GRITS? Carnival does.............and they make them right. Not Runny............I LOVE shows........sound good

We eat in the MDR at early sitting. Do HATE lining up.......but that is life.

We have a Balcony on the curve on Deck 6..right by AFT elevator...Well, only two I think...AFT one. it seems nice. Hope the Balcony is a little bigger than Carnival.

I love Carnival. I love Princess. I love HAL. I loved NCL but long time since we sailed on NCL. Once on Celebrity and LOVED it. They played TRIVIA and TRI BOND all day long.

Fun to read the comparisons. I bet I like RCI too.

Edited by AmberTeka

Ignorant may have been too strong a word...

But the implication is that we who won't try a line because of reasons we know gives us little right to an opinion, or that we are "missing out" (that WAS your wording there) is unfair. Why should I have to subject myself to something I know I don't like major aspects of just to say I've done it? Oh, and pay for the "privilege"? Life is too short to subject yourself to things you know you won't like - and there are too many places to go and experiences to have!

I really enjoyed reading this thread. We sail on FOS..first time on RCI in September.

HATE to hear that not much Trivia. We really enjoy playing and meeting the people who play. ALWAYS great people.

Don't like Lobster ( not much lobster in hill country of N. Alabama) so not an issue. Do want to go to Johnny Rockets....sounded nice. DO they have GRITS? Carnival does.............and they make them right. Not Runny............I LOVE shows........sound good

We have a Balcony on the curve on Deck 6..right by AFT elevator...Well, only two I think...AFT one. it seems nice. Hope the Balcony is a little bigger than Carnival.

I love Carnival. I love Princess. I love HAL. I loved NCL but long time since we sailed on NCL. Once on Celebrity and LOVED it. They played TRIVIA and TRI BOND all day long.

Royal does have grits and they are actually pretty good! I'm from Alabama also and completely understand the runny comment...I've never been unhappy with them on any of my Royal cruises!

I've been on RCCL, Princess, Carnival, NCL, Celebrity and Cunard, and I really think they can be compared effectively. The Cunard cruise was really nice, but the food was generally horrible -- any of the other lines, with the possible exception of NCL, which was about the same as Cunard, far outshone that line. And (at least until the new suite class perks on RCCL which we're looking forward to trying next Feb) NONE of the lines, including Cunard, treats suite passengers as well as -- surprisingly -- NCL. There certainly are areas where Cunard is best, but I just point these out to say that I would not say that any of the foregoing lines are so out of the class of the others that you couldn't do an effective side by side comparison.

Royal has plenty of trivia throughout the day. Wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your cruise.

DO they have GRITS?.

Ummm, AmberTeka, I think that you'll be pleased to know that Freedom of the Seas served delicious grits in the Windjammer EVERY morning for breakfast when I sailed last week. Never missed having some with my bacon each day...delicious!

To assume that when we say we will never go on a certain line it's just because we haven't been on them - and liken it to trying a food for the first time is just as ignorant and misguided as you're accusing us of being.

I will start this post off saying this will be my last response as I am not going to partake in a "fight" in here. But since you decided to call me ignorant, I am going to respond.

First, you claim not to be loyal to one line, so right there you are not who I was referring to in my post

Second, you have every right to your OPINION, and to spend your money on whatever vacation you want. I could care less if people choose not to sail a certain line. What I was speaking of, are the people that state one brand is better than another, without experiencing it. You can choose to sail and not sail with whoever you like. However the people that are putting down other lines when they have not sailed, now that is ignorance!!

Third, my reference to trying new food was meant as a joke, for those who have a sense a humor...

Pretty sure I didn't accuse anyone of being ignorant and equally sure of why I generally avoid posting on CC forums other than roll calls

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wish CC had a like button! 😆

Pretty sure I didn't accuse anyone of being ignorant and equally sure of why I generally avoid posting on CC forums other than roll calls

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I actually agree with your opinion that not trying out different cruise lines means you MIGHT be missing out on something about the line that you would actually LIKE...but if someone dislikes a product (i.e. cruiseline) or some aspects of it even before the cruise starts, by all means use your hard-earned money towards a vacation that will make you happy. (I think Jimmy Choos are gorgeous, but I am never going to spend money on something that I will never wear and would most likely result in a broken ankle. :D No matter how many times my friend tells me they are essentials in her wardrobe, they are never going to work for me...)

We all just want to enjoy our own vacations! Because that's the bottom line...there is no universal happy. I have always heard of Carnival being the "party boat" and avoided it, but would be much more likely to try it having heard fair comparisons from so many people on the boards.

Thanks to the OP for trying to keep it light and balanced!

It's good to keep an open mind. :) I NEVER wanted to sail on Carnival for the above reason and more. However one year we (husband & I) decided to do a long weekend on Carnival for our anniversary (no kids with us), we took the Grand Suite, this way if we didn't like it, we'd have a large balcony and could enjoy the suite.

Well...So glad we tried it. It is by far the most fun ship we've been on and have met some real nice people. Crazy I know.

I convinced 2 other couples to come with us, oh it was hard to convince them, they did the 4 night cruise with us the following year. We laugh at how high falutin' we were (it's an inside joke) and how we all love Carnival now. This April we sailed on the Carnival Magic and will sail the Oasis in December.

There was no way anyone on CC would have convinced me to sail Carnival, however since it was a long weekend out of NY, it was a perfect cruise to try and I'm glad I did.

I would not however sail on any of there older ships.

Do what pleases you, but like everything else in life, never say never.

OP, thanks for a comparison review, great job!

Edited by Mjasp