Should we book? Advice for travelling with teens needed!

trcyfrrr

Hi! I am hoping to get some advice from the experts :)

We are first time cruisers who are considering taking a family vacation on the Norwegian Dawn out of New Orleans. Our kids are 24, 2x18 and 2x16 (blended family!).

Our biggest question is, if the kids (especially the two 16 year olds) do not want to go to the teen activities, are they allowed to hang out with the rest of us in the bars and lounges (not drinking obviously!). What kind of things are there for us to do as a whole family in the evenings?

What type of tv programming is available on board (for those nights someone feels anti-social)?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!

Tracy

Someone will come alone and confirm this, but I believe the under 18 activities are only available to the 16 year olds. Kids and young people seem to find each other fairly easily.

Overall attitude around alcohol seems pretty lax. I've sat and had a beer with my 8yo nephew in many bars around the ship. There are some adult only areas, but not many. Someone familiar with Dawn can address this better with specific areas, but I think 16yo will probably be able to go wherever.

Evening activities on ships like Dawn vary, but there's always the nighttime shows (magician, musical, comedy), a lounge singer, karaoke, newlyweds show (haha, don't judge it is hysterical if couples are game), etc. We always make dinner an event and typically do the specialty dining 4 nights or so on a 7 day cruise in steakhouse, Japanese hibachi, etc. We're pretty low key though and can entertain ourselves even playing dominos and cards one or two nights.

The dawn itinerary, if you're going on one we are (thanksgiving but it's the same all winter) has four port stops so people will probably be wiped out to some extent at night, even if they are young.

Dawn is going to dry dock so should be a lot of upgrades come next fall, I believe that will include the tv system and it will have on demand programming if I read correctly. I am really looking forward to cruising on a "like new" boat.

I think most important thing for you will be cabin selection. Cabins can get tight so if your blended family isn't best of friends yet think about that.

I'm in my early 30's and had never been on a cruise before last year. I'll be on number 4 at Christmas this year with my immediate family and several members of extended family. It is the opposite of my usual travel (eg European 2 week trips where I am doing my own thing), but I really enjoy it.

Edited by txagfan

The best part about the teen program is they meet up with other teens. I have 5 teens of my own (non blended family) and although they love us dearly, I think they are happy in their natural habitat of hanging out with peers than sitting in a lounge with the parents. I had 2 teens on our last cruise (15 and 17), and they loved hanging out with others kids from different places, going to restaurants, shows, hot tubbing, etc. They even had some meet-ups at home.

Someone will come alone and confirm this, but I believe the under 18 activities are only available to the 16 year olds. Kids and young people seem to find each other fairly easily.

Overall attitude around alcohol seems pretty lax. I've sat and had a beer with my 8yo nephew in many bars around the ship. There are some adult only areas, but not many. Someone familiar with Dawn can address this better with specific areas, but I think 16yo will probably be able to go wherever.

Evening activities on ships like Dawn vary, but there's always the nighttime shows (magician, musical, comedy), a lounge singer, karaoke, newlyweds show (haha, don't judge it is hysterical if couples are game), etc. We always make dinner an event and typically do the specialty dining 4 nights or so on a 7 day cruise in steakhouse, Japanese hibachi, etc. We're pretty low key though and can entertain ourselves even playing dominos and cards one or two nights.

The dawn itinerary, if you're going on one we are (thanksgiving but it's the same all winter) has four port stops so people will probably be wiped out to some extent at night, even if they are young.

Dawn is going to dry dock so should be a lot of upgrades come next fall, I believe that will include the tv system and it will have on demand programming if I read correctly. I am really looking forward to cruising on a "like new" boat.

I think most important thing for you will be cabin selection. Cabins can get tight so if your blended family isn't best of friends yet think about that.

I'm in my early 30's and had never been on a cruise before last year. I'll be on number 4 at Christmas this year with my immediate family and several members of extended family. It is the opposite of my usual travel (eg European 2 week trips where I am doing my own thing), but I really enjoy it.

I didn't even know that they were renovating :) We are looking to go at the end of January and are so excited! We have been one big happy for a couple of years now and have done a couple of Disney trips as a group so I think that the kids will be okay with rooming together.

We are definitely going to use your idea and bring some cards!

I hope I get the chance to hear about your trip before we go on ours!

The best part about the teen program is they meet up with other teens. I have 5 teens of my own (non blended family) and although they love us dearly, I think they are happy in their natural habitat of hanging out with peers than sitting in a lounge with the parents. I had 2 teens on our last cruise (15 and 17), and they loved hanging out with others kids from different places, going to restaurants, shows, hot tubbing, etc. They even had some meet-ups at home.

It is so good to hear that there were other teens on the cruise! The pictures that we have seen don't seem to show a huge age variety and the kids were getting a little concerned lol. That is why I was asking, in case there was not a lot of other people their age then we will suddenly seem cooler and they will want to hang out with us! The two 18 year olds grew up as best friends (how we met!) so they would be fine but the two 16 year olds are very different and if they were stuck with only each other and unable to be where the rest of us are, they would be very unhappy!

Our biggest question is, if the kids (especially the two 16 year olds) do not want to go to the teen activities, are they allowed to hang out with the rest of us in the bars and lounges (not drinking obviously!). What kind of things are there for us to do as a whole family in the evenings?

Absolutely. When our 11 year old doesn't fancy the kids club then he sometimes hangs around with us in the bars. There are only a few that under 18s are allowed in.

There are various things to do. Depending on the ship and location there may be quizzes or other games on, or you can make your own entertainment. We play various card games (during the day usually rather than the evenings). There are also the shows or musicians on during the evening of course.

The TV selection is really poor unless you like news stations. The on demand system is pricey.

I don't remeber any 18+ venues on the Dawn. There is some entertainment recommended for 18+ but no restrictions for anyone attending. So they can hang out with you if they want.

The 18 year olds can partake in beer and wine if mom or dad signs a waiver. 16 year olds can partake in sodas and virgin drinks.

We have cruised as a family 8 cruises. The kids, now 11 to 17, have always had a blast. Even our quiet ones have found new friends just by going to their age group area at first but after 3-4 cruises, they now know how to find friends all over the ship. We too will be on the DAMN Dawn again over Thanksgiving, 2016

As mom of 3 frequent - cruising teens..

Any chance you can get on one of the ships with the water parks? NCL, RCL?I understand that getting to a port other than NO could be an undertaking with your large brood!

The teen clubs can be very blech. Out last 3 NCL cruises had many scheduled activities cancelled and out three gave up.

They play ping pong with kids they meet at the tables , spend time at the water park and ropes and hang out with us for dinner, shows, etc. they also meet up in lounge areas and play"Presidents and Idiots" or poker. Hey also have not been offered booze but have seen some kids their age that had been drinking .

RCCL ( Freedom class) has a better teen program in my kid's opinion. They were 17,17,15 on our last cruise .

All this being said- they have always enjoyed every cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The spinnaker lounge on the dawn is 18+ after 11 pm. Sometimes its enforced and sometimes it isn't. It was enforced on our last cruise during "the quest", its an adult themed scavenger hunt. They did announce during the comedians r rated show that it was 18+, but I didn't notice if there were any kids there.

I saw your reply that you are considering this cruise for end of January...since this is not a time when kids are out of school you will find a limited amount of teens and young adults on the ship.

I do think Epic/Escape/Breakaway/Getaway are more "exciting" ships, but given this a port-intensive itinerary you won't spend a lot of time on the boat. All things equal, I prefer the larger ships.

The last time our family of five cruised, our oldest was 18. She still enjoyed the cruise, but had a hard time figuring out what to do. 18 year olds are too old for the kid's programs, but also don't want to be stuck with grown-ups (like parents). In our case, the karaoke venue was the most common solution.