Military Discounts

I called NCL today to find out about a cruise with a military discount. The man told me that they didn't have any for the rest of the year but they had quite a few last March and April.

He went on to say they don't have a list, scheduling is sporadic, but normally you have to be booked 9 months out. That's OK so what do you have next year? Well, they don't have anything for next year.....YET.

This seems really peculiar to me. Has anyone ever had a Military discount? And if you are active duty, how can you possibly take a cruise that is only available 9 months out - if ever.

I am annoyed that a business advertises that they do something nice for vets but don't really do it. Sorta like Wounded Warrior Project.

Military, AARP, AAA ect.... Really are not the best discounts. There just predetermined $$$ off. Most of the time you would do better just researching using online or local TA's who may be able to offer amenities that booking through the cruise line directly would not offer.

And possibly greater value, then just a Military discount would be.

But, whoever in your family is in the service, I thank you for all the sacrifices a family has to make during such a time.[emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's the same on every mass market cruise line that promotes a military discount. It's not an across the board discount on every potential sailing but a more sporadic offering (like a resident discount promotion).

As the poster before me said, whoever in your family is (or was) in the service, I thank you for all the sacrifices a family has to make during such a time.

Military, AARP, AAA ect.... Really are not the best discounts. There just predetermined $$$ off. Most of the time you would do better just researching using online or local TA's who may be able to offer amenities that booking through the cruise line directly would not offer.

And possibly greater value, then just a Military discount would be.

But, whoever in your family is in the service, I thank you for all the sacrifices a family has to make during such a time.[emoji631][emoji631][emoji631][emoji631]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Occasionally, the discounts can be stacked. My final AARP (CARP...) stacked on top of the other promos.

I've never quite understood the notion of a military discount but if it is there, take it if you can stack it.

They already got rid of the AARP discount recently, wouldn't surprise me if they got rid of the military discount as well. I agree if you need to book closer than 9 months out you can find better deals than the military discount would hvae been. Go through a reputable TA and you can almost always get additional OBC or other perks in addition to the promos NCL is offering.

I've been able to take advantage of military discount both last minute and also for cruise booked months in advance. They are not available all the time but when they are it's a great deal. In fact a couple years ago I was able to stack a military discount and in state discount for an Alaska sailing. I always ask when booking and also ask ta if they have any group rates for the sailing I am looking to book. Sometimes the group rates offer extra obc, specialty dinners... I think these rates come and go depending on how a particular sailing is selling. Same with the in state discount. Princess will send me emails for the state resident discounts but with the other lines I have to call and check.

I called NCL today to find out about a cruise with a military discount. The man told me that they didn't have any for the rest of the year but they had quite a few last March and April.

He went on to say they don't have a list, scheduling is sporadic, but normally you have to be booked 9 months out. That's OK so what do you have next year? Well, they don't have anything for next year.....YET.

This seems really peculiar to me. Has anyone ever had a Military discount? And if you are active duty, how can you possibly take a cruise that is only available 9 months out - if ever.

I am annoyed that a business advertises that they do something nice for vets but don't really do it. Sorta like Wounded Warrior Project.

Sounds like you just called the 800 number and spoke with whoever happened to answer the phone...not the best move IMHO.

You need to get yourself a well-informed TA or PCC and work with them.

Now...with only 7 months left this year, I can believe that there may not be any more sailings available offering the Military Discount. Generally, that is not a discount that you see offered to last-minute planners (the cruise line uses the 9 month mark to differentiate between last minute and pre planners).

There IS, however, a list of all sailings that fall under the Military Discount. It is called the SalesPAL and is issued to ALL TAs and PCCs once each week. This document not only lists Military Discounts, but it also lists ALL discounts available.

If your TA or PCC claims to not know what this document is, they are either lying to you, or they are poorly trained. In either case, you are best served by finding another person to deal with.

Just happened to be looking at the Hawaii itineraries for the POA and I see that there is a Military discount offered, at least for this August, which is the date I happened to pull up. So much for the 9month rule, right? And it looks like you can stack your choice of the "Pick" promo options, free dining, gratuities, even 3rd and 4th guest free.

So, looks like it's still available. As others have suggested, call back and ask for a Personal Cruise Consultant assignment. Or, call a web TA that specializes in cruises. They have always asked if we are Military, AARP members and what state we live in, and checked to see if there were any discounts available, even without us asking. You'll get everything available with booking at NCL direct, plus any extras the TA throws in.

Edited by punkincc

It's the same on every mass market cruise line that promotes a military discount. It's not an across the board discount on every potential sailing but a more sporadic offering (like a resident discount promotion).

As the poster before me said, whoever in your family is (or was) in the service, I thank you for all the sacrifices a family has to make during such a time.

Princess gives $100 OBC to each active, retired & veteran on every cruise. Once you submit your DD214 (in the case of DH-veteran) it's on record and you don't even have to ask for it. :D

Wonderful way to acknowledge the Military and all who serve - Thank You!

Edited by Tyskie

There is another website that I like to look up reduced prices - they have a section called military discounts. I just now went over there to look to see what NCL was offering. To my surprise, NCL is no longer on the list.

Doesn't mean they don't offer them anymore, they just are no longer posting them with this website.

• 4 weeks later...

Look at booking through the Tours and Travel office on base. USAA also has discount travel services.