Math Problem

Sonora5

Pencils out!

I am reviewing my statement from a recent cruise. We had $620.00 in service charges, and $634.36 in other charges.

We had $450.00 in nonrefundable onboard credit.

We had a $499.80 credit because the internet package we purchased in advance of the cruise did not work.

We had another $200 credit due to unsafe and nasty conditions on board.

I was charged $420.00 on my credit card at the end of the cruise.

This does not make sense to me. I understand that the service charges cannot be satisfied with the NROC, but they could have been satisfied with the other credits. I think I should have ended up owing $104.56, not $420.00.

Can anyone shed any light?

thanks

What does the final detailed statement of your charges on board indicate as the balance owed and does it match your final credit card statement charge?

If it doesn't, there's no pencil sharpening needed. You just send them a copy of the final on board statement and say "Fix it!".

I think that the $499.80 will be refunded separately.

So, the $620 for service charges minus the $200 credit leaves you with $420 number.

The $634.36 minus the $450 credit leaves you with a balance of $184.36, which is a mystery number.

Now, I have been charged multiple times for about 2 weeks after some cruises.

This is my best guess:

The $499.80 will be credited separately

You were already charged the $420

You will be charged the other $184.36 soon.

Let us know how it turns out

Pencils out!

I am reviewing my statement from a recent cruise. We had $620.00 in service charges, and $634.36 in other charges.

We had $450.00 in nonrefundable onboard credit.

We had a $499.80 credit because the internet package we purchased in advance of the cruise did not work.

We had another $200 credit due to unsafe and nasty conditions on board.

I was charged $420.00 on my credit card at the end of the cruise.

This does not make sense to me. I understand that the service charges cannot be satisfied with the NROC, but they could have been satisfied with the other credits. I think I should have ended up owing $104.56, not $420.00.

Can anyone shed any light?

thanks

Without having access to what was billed as a service charge and what was billed as an other charge, it looks like this:

Non-refundable onboard credit and internet package refund were applied to "other charges" leaving a nil balance there (and leaving $315.44 in NROB unclaimed). The $200 nasty conditions credit was applied against the service charge, leaving a balance of $420.

Without having access to what was billed as a service charge and what was billed as an other charge, it looks like this:

Non-refundable onboard credit and internet package refund were applied to "other charges" leaving a nil balance there (and leaving $315.44 in NROB unclaimed). The $200 nasty conditions credit was applied against the service charge, leaving a balance of $420.

I think that this accurately reflects what should have and what did occur.

I actually just got off the phone with NCL after a 53 minute hold. I got them to agree that the internet refund should not have been treated as a NROC. This means I should be getting refunded.

We will see. I am sure they are counting on the fact that if they do not refund me, I will not be able to tolerate trying to reach them again and will let it go. And that may indeed be true.

The irony is that if the conditions on the ship (the Sun) were not so horrible, we would have spent a lot more money. Instead, we spent a lot of time trying to find a place to get away from the sewage smell.

I actually just got off the phone with NCL after a 53 minute hold. I got them to agree that the internet refund should not have been treated as a NROC. This means I should be getting refunded.

We will see. I am sure they are counting on the fact that if they do not refund me, I will not be able to tolerate trying to reach them again and will let it go. And that may indeed be true.

The irony is that if the conditions on the ship (the Sun) were not so horrible, we would have spent a lot more money. Instead, we spent a lot of time trying to find a place to get away from the sewage smell.

Wow. Good for you. You have faaaaar more patience that I would. There is just no way that I could see myself even getting off of the ship without my bill being straightened out by guest services first. Just no way. I wouldn't care if the HD had to come down and do it himself.

I think that this accurately reflects what should have and what did occur.

I disagree. If the OB had purchased the Internet package the refund should NOT have been classified as NROBC but as ROBC. Then it could be applied to the Service Charge.

Wow. Good for you. You have faaaaar more patience that I would. There is just no way that I could see myself even getting off of the ship without my bill being straightened out by guest services first. Just no way. I wouldn't care if the HD had to come down and do it himself.

Due to other circumstances, I had no time to even look at the bill before we left. I agree I should have disputed it on the ship. This cruise was a little fraught due to the problems with the ship.

When we got home and I took a look, I knew it didn't seem right, but was too busy for a few weeks to deal with it.

I really didn't want this cruise, which was lovely in many ways, to be about a billing dispute, or the problems we had with the ship. I know that NCL gets away with this stuff, partly by the long hold times, and I should hang in there with them until they straighten it out. It is easier and more fun to think about my upcoming adventures rather than dwell on the bad parts of previous ones.

The irony is that if the conditions on the ship (the Sun) were not so horrible, we would have spent a lot more money.

Instead, we spent a lot of time trying to find a place to get away from the sewage smell.

Years ago, my DW labeled this as "The Stinky Ship",

never to do again..

Two things that I take away from this...

1) Sun = Sewage. Too bad, because we are really looking into doing a South America cruise, Zika and all.

2) The Internet package costs $500 for a week, and people really pay for it?!?! :eek: Checking in with work is nowhere near worth $500 to me, even if work is paying for it!

Two things that I take away from this...

1) Sun = Sewage. Too bad, because we are really looking into doing a South America cruise, Zika and all.

2) The Internet package costs $500 for a week, and people really pay for it?!?! :eek: Checking in with work is nowhere near worth $500 to me, even if work is paying for it!

Quite right, we also would wonder about using the Sun again.