Insurance coverage

Kathyfromstl

Go to the HAL website for Cancellation Protection Plans:

"Four reasons to choose the Holland America Line Cancellation Protection Plan:

YOU CAN CANCEL BEFORE DEPARTURE FOR ANY REASON. Even if it's up to 24 hours before departure under our Standard Plan or right up to departure with our Platinum Plan. Your reservation may be easily cancelled for any reason whatsoever - no claim forms to submit or fine print to review.

YOU GET MONEY BACK. Holland America Line refunds 80-90% of eligible amounts paid, regardless of your reason for canceling, as long as you cancel more than 24 hours prior to departure (right up to departure with the Platinum Plan)."

I don't know why posters keep mentioning pre-existing conditions. That is a consideration with third party providers, but not with HAL's CPP. I would cheerfully pay 10 - 20% for the opportunity to cancel up to 24 hours before departure if such a necessity existed.

But if it's a necessity then any travel insurance would kick in and pay in full. I can't envision paying more than double the cost for less medical coverage just to be able to change my mind on a whim on departure day. If I've bought flights, paid my fare, made arrangements....I am getting on that ship. Unless a storm delayed getting to port (covered) or someone died (covered) or my spleen ruptured (covered). The standard has no medical coverage. The platinum is just 50,000 for medical/evacuation/repatriation. You could hit that total very quickly, before even getting to the point of figuring how to get you back to the US.

Edited by alwaysfrantic

But if it's a necessity then any travel insurance would kick in and pay in full. I can't envision paying more than double the cost for less medical coverage just to be able to change my mind on a whim on departure day. If I've bought flights, paid my fare, made arrangements....I am getting on that ship. Unless a storm delayed getting to port (covered) or someone died (covered) or my spleen ruptured (covered). The standard has no medical coverage. The platinum is just 50,000 for medical/evacuation/repatriation. You could hit that total very quickly, before even getting to the point of figuring how to get you back to the US.

Agreed. But the OP's question was about cancellation coverage. Medical is another matter. While you don't see the necessity for cancellation coverage, t others may feel quite differently. In my age group, for instance, such insurance may sometimes be a strong consideration.

Regarding med-evac, others have directed OP to Med-Jet, for instance, which may or may not be sufficient for OP.

Go to the AARP page and see if they are still partners with MedJet Assist. If so, this insurance helps you get back home hospital from another hospital. Private jet, medical ambulance plane etc. We have carried this for about 9 years. Now that we are getting over 70 not sure how much longer they will insure us.

MedJet Assist will insure you until you're 84, but it is more expensive once you turn 75. There are cheaper medevac plans, but many of those will only get you to the nearest hospital capable of treating you, which could be in some place you really don't want to go; read the fine print carefully.

While you don't see the necessity for cancellation coverage, t others may feel quite differently. In my age group, for instance, such insurance may sometimes be a strong consideration.

For curiosity sake what would make folks of a certain age group more or less likely to change their mind at the last minute? I can't imagine a non covered reason for an adult to cancel. I did buy a Cancel for Any Reason plan from Insuremytrip.com when I sending my then 15 year old to Europe one summer because ice seen too many 15 year old girl drama sessions.

For curiosity sake what would make folks of a certain age group more or less likely to change their mind at the last minute? I can't imagine a non covered reason for an adult to cancel. I did buy a Cancel for Any Reason plan from Insuremytrip.com when I sending my then 15 year old to Europe one summer because ice seen too many 15 year old girl drama sessions.

The older one gets, the higher the chances of illness occurring, and the weaker is one's immune system. What could happen? A sudden heart attack, stroke, aneurism, a suddenly re-occurring disease which doesn't manifest itself until shortly before sailing; a bad infection from which an elderly person may not recover as quickly; a bad fall, etc., etc., etc. It isn't necessarily a matter of "changing their mind" but of the physician (or spouse), strongly advising against travel.

Another reason is the age, and please don't laugh, is the age of our pets. Our cat is now 15 and I will not leave for more than a week unless I am sure that she is not developing age-related diseases, i.e. chronic renal failure. And we may not discover the symptoms until after final payment; or she may take a turn for the worse a couple of weeks before leaving. At this point of our lives - and that of our pet - the more expensive the trip, the more desiralble, to us, of having cancellation insurance. Otherwise, we just wouldnt be able to go.

I'm not sure why you are arguing about cancellation insurance. It isn't for you. O.K. But the OP asked about it, and I responded. It is your prerogative to not want it, and it is other's to have it. I don't think anything more needs to be said.

I apologize for any typos. This laptop is dying, and the keys are sticking. And that's my story, and I am sticking with it!

My insurance covers me anywhere. However, it took several months of back and forth with NCL to get an answer from their legal department- we don't do codes. My company could have simply sent a letter of denial, but the claims person worked out the codes and they sent my check.

Travel insurance covered my three nights in the Livorno hospital. They would have booked our flights home, but I preferred to finish recuperating on the Amalfi coast.

Now I'm still trying to get NCL to refund taxes and fees, as I was disembarked after 24 hours on board. They are telling me they owe me nothing, and it has become somewhat of a game for me. Thank goodness there is no deadline with Allianz, who have been helpful throughout the process.

You had a friendly insurance company with at least one person who must have taken an interest in your claim. But the real reason I am posting is to give you a "here here" for deciding to recuperate on the Amalfi Coast. Excellent idea :).

Hank

I am the OP. I appreciate everyone's input. I was originally concerned about cancellation insurance bc a cruise to Alaska is not cheap. We have elderly parents in their mid 80's and not in good health. My DH and I are in our early 60's and in relatively good health, but anything could happen at anytime. I now need to consider the medical side of travel insurance which I hadn't thought about before but will now. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

The older one gets, the higher the chances of illness occurring, and the weaker is one's immune system. What could happen? A sudden heart attack, stroke, aneurism, a suddenly re-occurring disease which doesn't manifest itself until shortly before sailing; a bad infection from which an elderly person may not recover as quickly; a bad fall, etc., etc., etc. It isn't necessarily a matter of "changing their mind" but of the physician (or spouse), strongly advising against travel.

Why would any of these examples come under the heading of "cancel for any reason", and not under the cancel for medical reasons provisions (paid at 100%, btw)?

I understand that a sick pet would be cancel for any reason, as they are not considered "family" or "relatives" within the required degree.

Another reason is the age, and please don't laugh, is the age of our pets. Our cat is now 15 and I will not leave for more than a week unless I am sure that she is not developing age-related diseases, i.e. chronic renal failure. And we may not discover the symptoms until after final payment; or she may take a turn for the worse a couple of weeks before leaving. At this point of our lives - and that of our pet - the more expensive the trip, the more desiralble, to us, of having cancellation insurance. Otherwise, we just wouldnt be able to go.

I'm not sure why you are arguing about cancellation insurance. It isn't for you. O.K. But the OP asked about it, and I responded. It is your prerogative to not want it, and it is other's to have it. I don't think anything more needs to be said.

I apologize for any typos. This laptop is dying, and the keys are sticking. And that's my story, and I am sticking with it!

Definitely not arguing; just asking. All the things you mentioned health wise would be covered reasons any trip policy would refund 100% of your costs. The pets are a good example of why folks might opt for such a policy. I just could t envision a reason to cancel inside payment that wouldn't be covered under insurance provisions.

Definitely not arguing; just asking. All the things you mentioned health wise would be covered reasons any trip policy would refund 100% of your costs. The pets are a good example of why folks might opt for such a policy. I just could t envision a reason to cancel inside payment that wouldn't be covered under insurance provisions.

And I can certaiinly understand your wanting it in the case of your 15-year old daughter! Drama prone, as they say.

Just beware that "cancel for any reason" is often not quite what folks think. If you expect to be able to truly cancel "for any reason" right up until the embarkation day, and not lose any money....I have a bridge to sell you in a tiny city called Brooklyn.

One also should carefully look at the Medical coverage offered by some of these policies...which is often capped at a minuscule $10,000. These days, medical coverage of less than $100,000 (which we think is till too low) is just nutz...for folks that do not have other international medical coverage. We are amazed at how folks will spend hundreds (or thousands) of dollars to insure the cost of cruise (which is a fixed and known amount) and have little concern about the truly unlimited liability of a major medical emergency.

Hank

Because of DH having a pre-existing condition we always book insurance independently. To cover pre-existing we have to purchase it within a week or 2 of booking. (We normally book 6+ months ahead ) Ours includes cancel for any reason, $500,000 medical and $1,000,000 in medical plane evacuation to home if needed. Mine is less cost than his since I don't have the pre-existing problems.

Please note too, Medicare does NOT cover outside the USA.

Non-medical reasons that we have experienced include, getting stuck in a thunderstorm where our car received extensive damage on the way to the airport and we had to stay in town to deal with insurance etc. and could not get flights that would get us to the port in time. Another time flights were canceled

because of thunderstorms and tornadoes in Dallas (where we have to connect) that made it impossible to get to the port on time.

I believe that KK also experienced damage to her roof from weather related storm issues and also cancellation of flights for days due to winter storms that made it impossible to get to port.

I was very glad we had HAL's Platinum plan for our problems.

Edited by SJSULIBRARIAN

Because of DH having a pre-existing condition we always book insurance independently. To cover pre-existing we have to purchase it within a week or 2 of booking. (We normally book 6+ months ahead ) Ours includes cancel for any reason, $500,000 medical and $1,000,000 in medical plane evacuation to home if needed. Mine is less cost than his since I don't have the pre-existing problems.

Please note too, Medicare does NOT cover outside the USA.

But many Medicare supplement policies do. Those that do, morph to that company's Basic Coverage the moment you leave the US.

Non-medical reasons that we have experienced include, getting stuck in a thunderstorm where our car received extensive damage on the way to the airport and we had to stay in town to deal with insurance etc. and could not get flights that would get us to the port in time. Another time flights were canceled

because of thunderstorms and tornadoes in Dallas (where we have to connect) that made it impossible to get to the port on time.

I believe that KK also experienced damage to her roof from weather related storm issues and also cancellation of flights for days due to winter storms that made it impossible to get to port.

I was very glad we had HAL's Platinum plan for our problems.

All travel insurance covers all those scenarios, not just HAL's

I am the OP. I appreciate everyone's input. I was originally concerned about cancellation insurance bc a cruise to Alaska is not cheap. We have elderly parents in their mid 80's and not in good health. My DH and I are in our early 60's and in relatively good health, but anything could happen at anytime. I now need to consider the medical side of travel insurance which I hadn't thought about before but will now. Thanks everyone!

If you haven't purchased any necessary international medical coverage within the several week window after first deposit on the cruise, you probably do not have a waiver of "pre-existing conditions." Given the ages you cite, you could be in for a world of disappointment.

I'm getting various quotes Between $550 to $800 for two of us on an 11 day cruise to the Panama Canal in a VF cabin..

I asked for a quote from our Insurance Agent for a Nationwide policy..Our TA gave us a quote for two Allianz policies & I've also looked at Travel Select on-line..All of these policies are between $550 & $800..We have to put our ages in when requesting a quote.. We really do not need to insure for the actual cruise amount because we can self insure for that, but we must have good medical coverage, including emergency Medical Evacuation..

Tampa Girl suggested looking at HAL's WEB site & for the same cruise for 11 days HAL is quoting $189 per person..Total $378 for two of us, for their Platinum Plan which is includes 500,00 Medical expenses & a million evacuation.. All those policies have the cancel for any reason included..The HAL policy it does not ask for ages..

What am I missing here & is this HAL quote possible?

Edited by serendipity1499

I'm getting various quotes Between $550 to $800 for two of us on an 11 day cruise to the Panama Canal in a VF cabin..

I asked for a quote from our Insurance Agent for a Nationwide policy..Our TA gave us a quote for two Allianz policies & I've also looked at Travel Select on-line..All of these policies are between $550 & $800..We have to put our ages in when requesting a quote.. We really do not need to insure for the actual cruise amount because we can self insure for that, but we must have good medical coverage, including emergency Medical Evacuation..

Tampa Girl suggested looking at HAL's WEB site & for the same cruise for 11 days HAL is quoting $189 per person..Total $378 for two of us, for their Platinum Plan which is includes 500,00 Medical expenses & a million evacuation.. All those policies have the cancel for any reason included..The HAL policy it does not ask for ages..

What am I missing here & is this HAL quote possible?

Take the HAL policy and do a side-by-side with Travelex Select Traveler, which is a "primary payer" policy that includes "pre-existing conditions" waiver (if policy purchased within 21 days of first deposit on cruise. Is HAL primary payer? Multiple evac (ship to hospital; hospital to home)? HAL collapse (unlikely but possible). Trip cancel and interrupt when a result of pre-existing condition? terrorism? READ THE FINE PRINT.

The amounts I see for the CCP platinum are only 50k evacuation and 10,000 medical.

Can't believe I did that..I put an extra zero in when I wrote it down on my silly chart..I tried to make a chart of them all & am really getting so tired of looking at insurance & realize I'm going bananas..Hmm...

We booked with a new TA this time & I thought his price was too high, so I've been shopping.. Well decided to stop looking tonight & pcik it up again tomorrow..Thanks for the heads up..

Take the HAL policy and do a side-by-side with Travelex Select Traveler, which is a "primary payer" policy that includes "pre-existing conditions" waiver (if policy purchased within 21 days of first deposit on cruise. Is HAL primary payer? Multiple evac (ship to hospital; hospital to home)? HAL collapse (unlikely but possible). Trip cancel and interrupt when a result of pre-existing condition? terrorism? READ THE FINE PRINT.

OK I'll work on that again tomorrow..I'm trying to compare 6 or 7 different policies & getting bleary eyed.. Thanks..

Edited by serendipity1499

This is how I do it. I still overthink and get bleary eyed, but it helps. I go to insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com and put in my ages, total trip costs, deposit date. Then it populates probably 30 options. I start by clicking compare on the 6 or 7 lowest cost options. It gives a chart. I scan down for most important to me--pre existing condition waiver. I'm not sick but parents are old and that in itself would raise flags to me on getting not covered. So, then I have maybe 4 or 5 after deselecting those without that waiver. Then I scan down and look at various components. Delays, luggage, etc are helpful but it's smaller amounts. One might get deselected there but probably not.

Medical coverage section is important for evacuation to me. My medical covers me anywhere and would evacuAte as well but a policy that specializes in getting folks out could be important. And my medical does not cover repatriation so I do look for that.

By the end of a few minutes I have probably 2 policies that are virtually identical and a few dollars apart in cost. It works downward to help define what is most important to you.

I've never cruised before so when I booked our trip through a TA last summer I also purchased insurance coverage in case of illness, death in the family etc. I thought it was necessary because we had 3 elderly parents at the time (now have 2). As I read comments others have made about insurance I've seen the mention "cancel for any reason" insurance. It's too late for this trip as we sail next month, but for future reference, if we cruise again can you help me with the following questions?

1. Is "cancel for any reason" more expensive? It sounds like it may be better insurance, maybe it really doesn't matter.

Thanks for your input.

The simple answer is YES. You bet it is.

Scott & Karen

This is how I do it. I still overthink and get bleary eyed, but it helps. I go to insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com and put in my ages, total trip costs, deposit date. Then it populates probably 30 options. I start by clicking compare on the 6 or 7 lowest cost options. It gives a chart. I scan down for most important to me--pre existing condition waiver. I'm not sick but parents are old and that in itself would raise flags to me on getting not covered. So, then I have maybe 4 or 5 after deselecting those without that waiver. Then I scan down and look at various components. Delays, luggage, etc are helpful but it's smaller amounts. One might get deselected there but probably not.

Medical coverage section is important for evacuation to me. My medical covers me anywhere and would evacuAte as well but a policy that specializes in getting folks out could be important. And my medical does not cover repatriation so I do look for that.

By the end of a few minutes I have probably 2 policies that are virtually identical and a few dollars apart in cost. It works downward to help define what is most important to you.

Don't forget whether the policy is primary or secondary payer and, now, terrorism coverage.

We're using "Travel Insured International" for extensive coverage at a much lower price. :) My gem of a TA says they're good about paying off if necessary.