Concerns about getting into tub/shower in Vista suite on Legend

I have had a deck four Vista suite booked on a Legend Alaska cruise for a long while now. It is my dream cabin on my dream cruise. I have had a surgery that will pretty much make it impossible for me to step over the tub in the cabin to use the shower. Has anyone else faced this issue? Using gym showers would be ok if they are accessible- but kind of a pain since I am having a hard time getting around anyway. Walking around dirty for a week is not an option:-). Will Carnival furnish a shower transfer bench? Is that even possible with the difference in height between the bathroom floor and the tub bottom? Any other ideas?

I have had a deck four Vista suite booked on a Legend Alaska cruise for a long while now. It is my dream cabin on my dream cruise. I have had a surgery that will pretty much make it impossible for me to step over the tub in the cabin to use the shower. Has anyone else faced this issue? Using gym showers would be ok if they are accessible- but kind of a pain since I am having a hard time getting around anyway. Walking around dirty for a week is not an option:-). Will Carnival furnish a shower transfer bench? Is that even possible with the difference in height between the bathroom floor and the tub bottom? Any other ideas?

Contact the special needs department. Good luck!

If you have problems then don't book a suite.

If you have problems then don't book a suite.

Well bless your heart sweet pea. As I already stated (you may want to take a few reading and comprehension classes) I clearly did not know I would have these limitations when I booked. I hope you are just having a case of the jealous jerbies and are not normally such a hideous person because "disabled people don't deserve suites" is just a bit nasty dontcha think?

I've heard you can request a shower stool or chair (not sure which it was). You may be able to put that in the tub and lower yourself onto it, then bring your legs into the tub. I haven't heard of a transfer bench being available, but it might be. The shower stools and transfer benches I have seen all had individually adjustable legs.

You may want to keep calling special needs until you get a live person to talk to. I hope the solution turns out to be way simpler that any of us out here on land are thinking of.

Check the Internet to find a picture of your cabin. Did a cabin crawl in the Miracle. The suite bathtub had a door. Opened from the middle, so only a third of the tub could be for an entry. Wide enough for a person to crawl thru, not be able to sit and swivel. The tub was tall, at least 30". Unfortunately forgot the Suite Category.

If your cabin does not have this shower surround and if Carnival does not provide a bench,might be able to rent one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Mobility is the key, especially trying to enter/exit the bath tubs in the Vista Suites. We have stayed in three different ones and we needed to really bring our legs up higher than usual to accommodate both the height of the tub and the track for the sliding shower doors. In addition, the type of door may restrict the amount of room you have to enter/exit the bath tub space also (double slider, versus triple slider sections.) Truth be told, the width of the bath tubs is also a bit smaller than normal bath tubs, which may also be a limiting factor for you. Please keep trying to contact the Special Services/Needs folks to see if they might be able to assist you. Also, check with your T/A or PVP to see if they might be able to coordinate something as well. The key for you is your mobility/range of movement in order for you to safely enter and exit the bath tub. If all else fails, please check to see if they have handicap accessible showers in the gym/spa area. Best of luck to you!

I also did a quick Google search: Bed Bath and Beyond has a "Drive Medical Folding Universal Sliding Tub Transfer Bench" ($129.99) that may be right up your alley. They also provide free shipping. The below link may or may not assist you in your quest. If that one does not meet your needs, there appear to be quite a few choices listed on the search that you may want to look in to. Good luck!

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=Cd311m5hWV6HGCYGSpAO6r6XQCL2EkJkHxe7W66IBjqaj0ZsCCAQQBigGYMmm-obIo6AZoAG-3KfsA8gBB6oEKU_QBr-8D64t69_5e2OWEGnj_lyJoIj6qtHa61ty7v_y0Vvw8XB4ARiGwAUFoAYmgAe10604kAcDqAemvhvYBwHgErL_25KbqO-9fQ&sig=AOD64_3Sts_pvSxY7erSxj0p7JgRR2IGzw&ctype=5&clui=24&rct=j&frm=1&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjY1NLQ0ZXNAhVHPlIKHaDyAHQQwg8IPA&adurl=http://www.rkdms.com/redirect%3Fc%3D558409574%26en%3D27%26cl%3D609%26u%3Dhttp://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/drive-medical-folding-universal-sliding-tub-transfer-bench-in-white/1040827001%253FskuId%253D40827001%2526mcid%253DPS_googlepla_nonbrand_furniture_%2526adpos%253D1o6%2526creative%253D43742644309%2526device%253Dc%2526matchtype%253D%2526network%253Dg%2526product_id%253D40827001

Edited by Zingy2
additional information

Thank you all for the great recommendations! I feel like I have a plan now!

Zingy2 you were not kidding about the narrow bathtubs. I tried one out when we had a suite on the Fantasy and I was seriously afraid I was going to have to call room service for melted butter to get me out of there:-)

I have 2 artificial knees and have to admit that I had a lot of trouble using the tub in the suite we had. After that one time, we never booked suites on Carnival. I had to hold onto the shower door to get in and, to me, it was very unsafe.

The grab bar that I would normally use to get into a tub is on the wall across from the tub opening which made exiting the tub difficult also. I said a prayer every day when I went to take a shower. I never tried to take a bath, but that's not something I do at home either, so it wasn't a big deal.

I didn't call special needs as I couldn't see what they would be able to do for me. I just wish there were grab bars at the front of the tub or in the rear so it would help me get in an out. Good luck and I hope it all works for you.

Don't have any real solutions for you , just wanted to say the Vista suites are really special , especially on an Alaska cruise , so really hope you can work out a solution and be able to enjoy the suite. We had a suite on our last cruise and it is a little bit of a step in and out. I wonder if there is something available to use on both sides of the tub so that you could take smaller steps , not have to lift the leg as high to get over the edge. Again , not very helpful , but hoping you can work something out

Just got off the Legend and a Vista Suite on Deck 6. Fantastic suite and balcony for an Alaskan cruise.

The bathtub seemed to be a little higher than your standard bathtub, but not much.

The shower door covers half the tub when open so I do not see how you could use any kind of device to help you get in.

The ship rolls pretty good at times on the back of the ship.

In my opinion, you have the best room in the fleet! I am guessing the tubs are a bit taller , because they are whirlpool tubs. It probably keeps the water from sloshing out and making slippery puddles. What if they could get you an aerobic/fitness stepper from the gym?-presuming they have them. They have a nice wide base, cushioned, about 8" high. You would still need help getting in and out because of those rolling shower doors though. Check out ATC medical and their bath step. Something like that looks portable enough that you could pack it in your suitcase. If you got 2 of them, you could have 1 inside and 1 outside or stack them and use them on the outside. Good luck for a creative solution to this problem, because that cabin is so worth it! If all else fails, order 2 cases of water from the fun shops and flip them over to make steps. Enjoy watching those big chunks of blue glacial ice floating by!

Edited by Linsuesue

It's a great shower and it would be a shame if you could not use it or the hydro tub. I hope that Carnival has a transfer bench for you. If not, maybe using the desk chair and swing legs over into the tub? It is a great cabin and I hope that you find a way to use the tub/shower.

It's a great shower and it would be a shame if you could not use it or the hydro tub. I hope that Carnival has a transfer bench for you. If not, maybe using the desk chair and swing legs over into the tub? It is a great cabin and I hope that you find a way to use the tub/shower.

I've sailed in the Vista Suite. The view from your veranda is spectacular. The tub is a problem. I laid towels on the rim, sat down and swiveled myself into the tub, I did the same when exiting. It wasn't easy because my legs are very, very long and it required me to manipulate myself in a way that may not be possible for all. The opening to the shower [because of the doors] is very narrow.

I wouldn't trust stepping up onto anything to enter and exit the tub......too risky.

Try the swivel method, it's so worth it! Have fun and enjoy your cruise!

As I recall, the edges of the tub were very narrow and have the track for the shower doors right in the middle. Even putting towels down first would make sitting on it and having to twist and swing legs through that narrow space quite a contortionist's feat!

As I recall, the edges of the tub were very narrow and have the track for the shower doors right in the middle. Even putting towels down first would make sitting on it and having to twist and swing legs through that narrow space quite a contortionist's feat!

I don't recommend it for anyone who has mobility issues at all! I'm not even sure if I could do such a feat again!

I was looking at pics of cruise rooms and there are accessible suites on the legend which have both a tub and walk-in shower with a pull down bench; so I would definitely call special needs and see if one is available and they can switch you and waive any fees that may be associated with a switch.

I agree with most of the recommendations here. Hope you can get through to special needs. Or use the gym showers. I wouldn't want to give up that suite and view either.

I also agree that the poster who feels disabled people should not book suites was out of line.