Air fare question

Little Rascal

JiminyC - did you use the custom air through Viking? IMHO - if I didn't have the miles that we use, it would be worth it to me to spend $100/each to have the added control over dates of travel and upgrade capability. That seems a fair price to pay.

And it's good to hear that Viking air is working.....all the cruise lines purchase bulk so it is the same struggle with many others as well. If $100 resolves those issues, it seems like a great option.

Vineyard View, We currently have 2 Viking Oceans cruises under our belt and used Viking Air Plus on the first. We booked our own flights on the second cruise (paid Viking for one transfer, the other transfer was included because we took a Viking sponsored extension). Now we have two Viking river cruises booked for this fall and next spring and used Viking Air Plus on both. Viking comps the Air Plus fee after 3 cruises booked with them. We are very pleased with the results which allows us to book actual flights and seat assignments at least 10 months before the actual cruises. I do some research on my own first about which airlines are flying to our destinations and return and notice the fares charged if we were to book it on our own. We prepare a list of desired airlines, flights, times and seat choices before calling Viking Air Plus and telling them of our preferences. So far, we have been able to book our first or second choices each time. By being prepared ahead of time, it greatly reduces the amount of time spent talking to Viking's agent and makes everyone's experience a lot more pleasant.

Edited by Senior Gators

Senior Gators. -it sure sounds like you have this figured out! As I mentioned, we always have used miles when we travel international - cruise or non-cruise. One of these days that isn't going to work....or there may be a different way to approach it.....which brings a question to mind - do you know, with Viking's custom air, are you then able to use miles to upgrade into Economy plus or Business classes?

Senior Gators. -it sure sounds like you have this figured out! As I mentioned, we always have used miles when we travel international - cruise or non-cruise. One of these days that isn't going to work....or there may be a different way to approach it.....which brings a question to mind - do you know, with Viking's custom air, are you then able to use miles to upgrade into Economy plus or Business classes?

Vineyard View, I haven't the faintest idea since we don't have the luxury of having built up enough miles to upgrade. Probably the best thing to do would be to call Viking Air Plus directly and get an official answer about using your miles to upgrade through them. Their number is 877-523-0580.

We are using the free air promotion from July for a November cruise and even using the $50 pp Viking Air Plus to get our preferred airline (and paying $200 pp to get an outbound flight on that airline) we were unable to use miles to upgrade to business. Will see what happens when finally ticketed to see if we can deal with airline for upgrade. Don't know if this helps!

Well it sounds like it's not a clear upgrade path, and that isn't too surprising. I guess the good news is that you are on your preferred airline....with hopefully good seats....and I hope you are able to upgrade using your miles! Thanks for the response

Not all classes of air ticket can be upgraded--classes meaning the letter describing the kind of fare and its rules and not economy vs first class). If FF upgrade is your goal, when you talk with Viking Air make sure to let them know that you hope to be able to upgrade your ticket with FF miles. It might cost extra to be issued the right class of ticket (because those wonderful air prices being offered are usually based on getting the cheaper, no-frills tickets from the airlines). Don't blame Viking; it is the airlines that determine the rules for their various FF programs and for their ticket prices.

Also, remember that Custom Air/Viking Air Plus is not available on all itineraries--and that it isn't always marked clearly on the website when it is not being offered.

LittleRascal ... I also had questions regarding Viking's Air program especially for sailings over a year from now. I found that the Viking rep was helpful and went out of his way to ascertain whether we could go Premium Economy when it wasn't readily available from Canadian departure locations. Overall I found that the better option would be for us to book our own air if we decided to go "Viking" ... it offers us total control over all details of booking the flights as travelling to a destination is much more of an endeavor for family members who have health concerns. Plus, if you are looking at anything above Economy, you can usually do a better job in getting a lower price.

We are using the free air promotion from July for a November cruise and even using the $50 pp Viking Air Plus to get our preferred airline (and paying $200 pp to get an outbound flight on that airline) we were unable to use miles to upgrade to business. Will see what happens when finally ticketed to see if we can deal with airline for upgrade. Don't know if this helps!

I don't know what what airline you were on but I know that on United' date=' the ability to upgrade to the next cabin class using miles especially on international flights depends on whether your fare class was upgradable. For example, United's H class is the lowest nonrefundable economy fare that can be upgraded with miles on an international flight (assuming that Viking doesn't buy full fare economy tickets).

And Peregrina, forgive me for repeating/restating what you wrote earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by CharTrav

We have taken Viking's Air arrangements twice: once for Viking Homelands (VO cruise 2015) and once for Tulips and Windmills river cruise (spring 2016). Both were from Dulles. BOTH times we paid the extra fee to book flights TO the port city a one day early. We had to manage our own transfers TO the ship but had Viking transfers at the end of each cruise. Interestingly, the river cruise transfers were MUCH better managed and provided far more "customer support" at the Amsterdam airport. It was just after the Brussels attacks, so we appreciated that. Our Oceans cruise transfer bus simply dumped us at the door of Stockholm airport- no advice, directions, nothing.

In both cases, as soon as we had airline confirmation numbers, I was able to use online access to our flights to change seat assignments so we both had aisle seats. Viking says no changes, but it worked. Do it quickly when the flight info comes through. Ours were booked EXACTLY 90 days ahead.

British Airways from Dulles to Bergen via Heathrow (I had to CALL BA, but they helped me make the changes)

Return Iceland Air from Stockholm to Dulles via Rej... (sorry, can't spell it!)

KLM both ways Dulles - Amsterdam. Changes made online.

Our biggest concern was the very tight connection time Viking booked at Heathrow. It was a miracle we made it! We knew we'd be able to get direct flights Dulles - Amsterdam, so we did not sweat using Viking Air for that one.

Bottom line: if you use Viking Air, the transfers could be worth it in some cities (especially when the port is far away). Definitely try do-it-yourself seat changes. It can't hurt to try!

Safe travels!

We have taken Viking's Air arrangements twice: once for Viking Homelands (VO cruise 2015) and once for Tulips and Windmills river cruise (spring 2016). Both were from Dulles. BOTH times we paid the extra fee to book flights TO the port city a one day early. We had to manage our own transfers TO the ship but had Viking transfers at the end of each cruise. Interestingly, the river cruise transfers were MUCH better managed and provided far more "customer support" at the Amsterdam airport. It was just after the Brussels attacks, so we appreciated that. Our Oceans cruise transfer bus simply dumped us at the door of Stockholm airport- no advice, directions, nothing.

In both cases, as soon as we had airline confirmation numbers, I was able to use online access to our flights to change seat assignments so we both had aisle seats. Viking says no changes, but it worked. Do it quickly when the flight info comes through. Ours were booked EXACTLY 90 days ahead.

British Airways from Dulles to Bergen via Heathrow (I had to CALL BA, but they helped me make the changes)

Return Iceland Air from Stockholm to Dulles via Rej... (sorry, can't spell it!)

KLM both ways Dulles - Amsterdam. Changes made online.

Our biggest concern was the very tight connection time Viking booked at Heathrow. It was a miracle we made it! We knew we'd be able to get direct flights Dulles - Amsterdam, so we did not sweat using Viking Air for that one.

Bottom line: if you use Viking Air, the transfers could be worth it in some cities (especially when the port is far away). Definitely try do-it-yourself seat changes. It can't hurt to try!

Safe travels!

Thanks for that info, as I'll be going from Dulles to Heathrow and Bergen to Dulles and hearing what others got helps prepare me for what we might get. I certainly know about those short connections in Heathrow. Oceania gave us one of those, and like you, we just barely made it. I used to hate long connections, but when travel to/from Europe is involved, you need a lot of time.

Could someone please refresh my memory on something? How soon can you pay for and use Custom Air? I suppose like everything else, the earlier I book, the better I'll do. I'm traveling in June and don't want to wait too long.

Could someone please refresh my memory on something? How soon can you pay for and use Custom Air? I suppose like everything else, the earlier I book, the better I'll do. I'm traveling in June and don't want to wait too long.

On the itineraries on which custom air is available (ie, not if you are cruising in or out of Bergen, Burma and a couple of other places I saw enumerated but can't remember--or find again on the website), you have until 60 days out. Any closer than 60 days and you are stuck with the flights you were assigned. You can pay for it from the moment you book onward; flights become available 300 and some odd days out (I can't remember the exact number). My TA had it marked on her calendar and she called me when it was time to talk flights.

You only pay for custom air the first three times you use it. After that, custom air is free--but you still have to pay deviation fees and any change in airfare.

Once you have an airline reservation idnetifier, you or your TA can choose your seats. On our Midnight Sun trip in June (though Bergen), we did not find out flights until about 60 days out, at which time our TA jumped right in to get our seats (no problems getting what we wanted on the transatlantic but the Bergen to London hop was a whole 'nother can of worms). On the other hand, we chose our Barcelona flights for New Year's back in February, at about 300 days out. We arranged for a deviation, were given our airline confirmation number and chose seats at that point. In mid-August, the flight was actually ticketed and the ticket number now shows up on MyVikingJourney along with the reservation id.

Thanks for that info, as I'll be going from Dulles to Heathrow and Bergen to Dulles and hearing what others got helps prepare me for what we might get. I certainly know about those short connections in Heathrow. Oceania gave us one of those, and like you, we just barely made it. I used to hate long connections, but when travel to/from Europe is involved, you need a lot of time.

We booked the custom air at the time we booked the cruise because we knew we wanted to fly over a day early. They let us make that "custom" change even on a cruise out of Bergen. Yes, we had to pay the fee for that deviation from normal, but it wasn't much, as I recall. We feel pretty strongly about flying a day early both to get over jet lag and to avoid missing the ship if flights get messed up... a common occurrence these days, especially departing the US during summer evening thunderstorm hours.

By booking the different dates from the start, we received our air info a full 90 days ahead which made changing seats easy. We're too cheap to pay for upgrade to economy comfort, but we usually get aisle seats across from each other to make it easier to move about.

Good luck!