MTD and Gluten-Free...

So... Just yesterday I got diagnosed with a gluten sensitivity (of course...three weeks before a cruise to ITALY). I've contacted special needs and have it notated on my reservation.

I have MTD - and really don't want to try and switch as early dining is too early with most of my excursions, and late dining is too late as I like to digest my food before I go to sleep. Have other people with food allergy/sensitivity issues had good experiences with MTD?

I've made MTD reservations for the same time every night already. Should I go and speak with them on boarding and ask about being seated at the same table or at least with the same service team every night? Or wait until dinner the first night?

Any advice on MTD and special food needs will be greatly appreciated!! I have so much to learn now!!

Did not have any problems with Gluten Free selections any where on the ship, including MTD or the WJ.

In fact during Chef's table one night on Serenade, my dishes were actually better than the

DH's. They had a Gluten Free pasta dish they did that was fantastic! :)

Edited by island lady

My adult daughter has to have gluten free. I would go to the dining room upon boarding and remind them of your situation. How it worked with us, they would show you a menu at that time and you could pre-order your dinner, so that it was gluten free. This helps ensure you are served with your table. Each night, the waiter gave my daughter a menu to order for the next evening.

She had also notified them ahead as you have done and the only cruise she had a problem in MDR was the time she didn't stop into the MDR upon arrival.

As far as the Windjammer, she stopped in and asked about gluten free and one of the chefs took her around and showed her the gluten free selections. They were very accommodating. Though in the Windjammer, there is a better chance of cross contamination.

The fact that you have reservations for MTD will really help.

The first night you will be told what are the gluten free options. From then on, they will ask you to pre-order for the next day. But even if you don't, you will be told at dinner what you can request to be made gluten free.

The little gluten free symbols on the menu doesn't mean it is actually gluten free, but rather could be made gluten free. Some times you don't get sauce or breadcrumbs on something.

On the Oasis we did MTD without reservations and sat in different sections. It was a bit of a challenge, as sometimes the pre-order meal couldn't be found. On the Freedom, we sat in the same section every night and never had a problem.

The Windjammer had a Gluten Free section on the Freedom and the chefs would walk us around and tell us what was made without gluten. There is always a risk of cross contamination in Windjammer but if you don't have Celiac, you are likely ok to eat there.

You can also find packaged GF cookies in the coffee shop, just ask. They are pretty good.

There are also Udi's GF bagels available at different places, again just ask.

The fact that you have reservations for MTD will really help.

The first night you will be told what are the gluten free options. From then on, they will ask you to pre-order for the next day. But even if you don't, you will be told at dinner what you can request to be made gluten free.

The little gluten free symbols on the menu doesn't mean it is actually gluten free, but rather could be made gluten free. Some times you don't get sauce or breadcrumbs on something.

On the Oasis we did MTD without reservations and sat in different sections. It was a bit of a challenge, as sometimes the pre-order meal couldn't be found. On the Freedom, we sat in the same section every night and never had a problem.

The Windjammer had a Gluten Free section on the Freedom and the chefs would walk us around and tell us what was made without gluten. There is always a risk of cross contamination in Windjammer but if you don't have Celiac, you are likely ok to eat there.

You can also find packaged GF cookies in the coffee shop, just ask. They are pretty good.

There are also Udi's GF bagels available at different places, again just ask.

Thank you so much!! This helps a lot!! Not celiac - just a sensitivity and I'm supposed to avoid it as much as possible, but my doctor said not to be as concerned with cross-contamination at this point. (By that, I mean obviously she doesn't want me not stressing it at all and eating whatever; just not to get overly concerned about it.)

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

My wife is allergic to gluten and this was the exact same experience we had on Freedom and Liberty.

And the gluten free bread they bring you at dinner is amazing, I think some was even better than the regular bread options.

My wife is allergic to gluten and this was the exact same experience we had on Freedom and Liberty.

And the gluten free bread they bring you at dinner is amazing, I think some was even better than the regular bread options.

I agree! I thought the bread was yummy! And even better as toast for breakfast!

I traveled with a friend who has Celiac. We were on the Allure the beginning of May. Her allergy was noted "in the system" When we checked in to go to dinner, we always gave her cabin number to trigger the note. We did MTD and did not do reservations. We did end up with the same waiter a few times, but all waiters were very knowledgeable.

We even ate at the Mexican restaurant (Sabor) a couple times for lunch. They would specially make her chips. Pizza was also made specially for her at the Pizza Place on the Promenade.

Royal/ Allure of the Seas - was amazing in handling her allergy

They are so great about dietary restrictions, I'm both vegetarian and gluten free and I've been on Freedom, Independence and Adventure since needing gluten free food. I can't speak to how it works with My Time Dining (though it looks like some others have answered) but I always speak to the Maitre D as soon as I board and make sure everything is set for me (I also email special_needs@rccl.com several weeks before sailing). They make sure I have something to eat that night and then for the following nights the waitstaff makes sure there is gluten free bread (the best I've had) waiting for me and the head waiter has me pick my food for the next night so they are ready to prepare it for me. I believe most of the meals that have meat in them can be made gluten free, and they do have gluten free pasta available to substitute in pasta dishes. Even some of the stuff that doesn't have the gluten free symbols can be prepared gluten free if you ask them, many of the vegetarian options didn't have the symbol indicating "gluten free available" but they were still able to make it for me. They are very flexible since you are ordering the night before!

A couple other notes: a friend is vegetarian and they are always happy to find out of soups have any sort of chicken or beef broth in them. My husband has a ragweed allergy that is severely triggered by any sort of sunflower product and we let the waitstaff know and the waitstaff always notes when he orders that they will double check the ingredients before they put his order in.

I see a lot of other people have responded but I just wanted to rave about how great my experience has been with this!

They are so great about dietary restrictions, I'm both vegetarian and gluten free and I've been on Freedom, Independence and Adventure since needing gluten free food. I can't speak to how it works with My Time Dining (though it looks like some others have answered) but I always speak to the Maitre D as soon as I board and make sure everything is set for me (I also email special_needs@rccl.com several weeks before sailing). They make sure I have something to eat that night and then for the following nights the waitstaff makes sure there is gluten free bread (the best I've had) waiting for me and the head waiter has me pick my food for the next night so they are ready to prepare it for me. I believe most of the meals that have meat in them can be made gluten free, and they do have gluten free pasta available to substitute in pasta dishes. Even some of the stuff that doesn't have the gluten free symbols can be prepared gluten free if you ask them, many of the vegetarian options didn't have the symbol indicating "gluten free available" but they were still able to make it for me. They are very flexible since you are ordering the night before!

A couple other notes: a friend is vegetarian and they are always happy to find out of soups have any sort of chicken or beef broth in them. My husband has a ragweed allergy that is severely triggered by any sort of sunflower product and we let the waitstaff know and the waitstaff always notes when he orders that they will double check the ingredients before they put his order in.

I see a lot of other people have responded but I just wanted to rave about how great my experience has been with this!

Thank you!! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Related question - can anyone tell me if allergens are labelled on foods in Windjammer?

I don't think they're labeled. What I've been told is to ask to speak with the chef and s/he will walk you around and show you what is safe. But if it is a serious/anaphalytic allergy, it's probably not the best place to eat as they cannot guard against cross-contamination. (From my understanding the DCL chef will walk you through and show you what is safe, then you select what you want and s/he makes you a completely clean plate. But I don't know if RCCL will go that far as I haven't had to deal with anything like this before.)

I'm just off grandeur last Saturday I ate in the mdr windjammers and park cafe staff were helpful and I didn't go hungry I ordered my food the night before and it worked out fine bread was lovely the first few nights then the toaster broke so half was toasted half wasn't

I'm just off grandeur last Saturday I ate in the mdr windjammers and park cafe staff were helpful and I didn't go hungry I ordered my food the night before and it worked out fine bread was lovely the first few nights then the toaster broke so half was toasted half wasn't

Good to know! Thanks!

I forgot to mention how good the bread was on our last cruise. Some nights my husband got 3-4 different types of bread. The jalapeno was his favourite. Once that was known, he got it on almost all the remaining nights.

Since my husband was diagnosed with a gluten sensitivity, each year things are getting better on the cruise lines. I would not judge Carnival based on the cruise we did in 2012 because I have seen so much incremental improvement at the stores, resorts and cruise lines, that I would assume all lines just keep getting better.

Between the Oasis in 2014 and Freedom in 2015, I saw improvements in the quality of the GF food being offered,

Be sure to ask in Windjammer for gluten free pancakes and French toast. They usually have it way in the back near the omelette station but you have to ask a chef to get it. It was MUCH easier to get this in Windjammer than the dining room. They give you as many pieces as you want. In the dining room I only got two tiny pieces!

Also, the Promenade Cafe and Sorrentos would often have Udi's chocolate chip cookies....just ask.

We did MTD and asked for the same servers and table every night. It made the experience so much better for everyone. Just be ready to eat a plain baked potato and steamed veggies every night as a side!

Best wishes to you and Happy Cruising!

So... Just yesterday I got diagnosed with a gluten sensitivity (of course...three weeks before a cruise to ITALY). I've contacted special needs and have it notated on my reservation.

I have MTD - and really don't want to try and switch as early dining is too early with most of my excursions, and late dining is too late as I like to digest my food before I go to sleep. Have other people with food allergy/sensitivity issues had good experiences with MTD?

My Time Dining (MTD) is in the Main Dining Room and the only difference is you choose when you want to dine. At your first seating you should have a conversation with the MTD Manager to ensure what you have requested is acknowledged by him/her and that the waitstaff you will be served by understands your needs.

Have a great cruise!!!

Thanks again everyone! I'm feeling so good about this now! :) (Plus some friends who have lots of experience in Italy have assured me that they are amazing with gluten sensitivity and allergies there, so I don't need to stress it so much on land either.)

I am glad I called C&A about something else and just had that little voice in my head nudge to verify that it had been put on - when I called the special needs department (because my automated response showed that my initial email had been marked as "suspected spam" and I had yet to hear anything back from it after a few days when they were back to me within 24 hours of a mattress topper request) the guy couldn't get into my reservation because it had been too soon since I'd logged out or some silliness. He'd said he would put it in as soon as the reservation unlocked. I got that little voice nudge and asked Aurora at C&A if she could check and make sure it was noted. She looked and did not see it, but she put it in right then - I could hear her typing over the phone. So I'll definitely be hitting the MDR on boarding to make sure it's in there - not that I don't trust Aurora, just as a back-up.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks again everyone! I'm feeling so good about this now! :) (Plus some friends who have lots of experience in Italy have assured me that they are amazing with gluten sensitivity and allergies there, so I don't need to stress it so much on land either.)

I am glad I called C&A about something else and just had that little voice in my head nudge to verify that it had been put on - when I called the special needs department (because my automated response showed that my initial email had been marked as "suspected spam" and I had yet to hear anything back from it after a few days when they were back to me within 24 hours of a mattress topper request) the guy couldn't get into my reservation because it had been too soon since I'd logged out or some silliness. He'd said he would put it in as soon as the reservation unlocked. I got that little voice nudge and asked Aurora at C&A if she could check and make sure it was noted. She looked and did not see it, but she put it in right then - I could hear her typing over the phone. So I'll definitely be hitting the MDR on boarding to make sure it's in there - not that I don't trust Aurora, just as a back-up.

The best I've ever eaten in my celiac life is onboard royal Caribbean ships.

In Italy its senze glutine and in Spain Sin Gluten. Just knowing the correct phrase will help you with any language barriers.

The best I've ever eaten in my celiac life is onboard royal Caribbean ships.

In Italy its senze glutine and in Spain Sin Gluten. Just knowing the correct phrase will help you with any language barriers.

Thanks!! Yeah - I found printable cards saying I can't have it in Spanish and Catalan for BCN, French, and Italian. I don't know what they speak in Montenegro, so I'll just not eat there. :)