Is the Haven worth the upsell?

Susanr613

I called the upsell line and went from a balcony guarantee to the Haven Spa Suite for $750 per person on the Getaway. My husband was not excited about me spending $1500 more. We sailed last week and we weren't on the ship 1 hr. before he said he knew I'd made the right decision. He kept telling me what a good job I did all week long. We met many really nice folks in Haven and we don't know who paid full price or who got the upsell. No one discussed it. We had dinner reservations in other restaurants, but the Haven menu is so good, we only went to Le Bistro one night then stayed at Haven the rest of the week. I can't say we will always do Haven, but I will certainly try. It was an amazing experience.

I cruise on the Dawn and they do not have a haven. We have paid for full price for suites on 4 of our cruises (SC twice, SD once and SJ once).

When we booked our last cruise, the suites prices were crazy high $2600 pp for an SJ. That was $1000pp more than we had paid in the past. So we booked a balcony, which I would have been very happy with.....Then I got the Upsell offer. I did and upsell to a SD and was happy with that, then I noticed that there was a DOS still available a couple of days before the cruise and we did a 2nd upsell to the DOS. ($1000 total to upsell from the balcony). I don't understand the pricing on the DAWN. We are currently booked for Oct 21 in a balcony, if we get an upsell offer, we may take it, but we are cruising with 20 friends (none of them are in a suite) It wont be as much fun checking in with out them, so a balcony will be fine for this next cruise (plus all the suites seem to be sold out for our date).

I cruise on the Dawn and they do not have a haven. We have paid for full price for suites on 4 of our cruises (SC twice, SD once and SJ once).

When we booked our last cruise, the suites prices were crazy high $2600 pp for an SJ. That was $1000pp more than we had paid in the past. So we booked a balcony, which I would have been very happy with.....Then I got the Upsell offer. I did and upsell to a SD and was happy with that, then I noticed that there was a DOS still available a couple of days before the cruise and we did a 2nd upsell to the DOS. ($1000 total to upsell from the balcony). I don't understand the pricing on the DAWN. We are currently booked for Oct 21 in a balcony, if we get an upsell offer, we may take it, but we are cruising with 20 friends (none of them are in a suite) It wont be as much fun checking in with out them, so a balcony will be fine for this next cruise (plus all the suites seem to be sold out for our date).

We had one of the end DOS (1BR/1BA) on the Dawn.

They are priced relatively "low" from the start, because they do not have a balcony.

(But some of the family suites on Deck 12 also don't have a balcony - although some do.)

The space was amazing.

(We had a toddler visiting throughout the cruise, and he was able to run around the LR to his heart's content.

We also had a Pack N Play placed in the BR, in case he needed a nap while parents were still visiting with us.)

And we absolutely LOVED that view :)

Not sure where the diatribe about upsell is coming from, but no one knows what you paid for your cruise unless you tell them. Personally, I don't care, nor do I ask my fellow passengers what they paid. I have a TA who I know and trust, who always gives me the best prices.

About the Haven...what you're paying for is an experience head and shoulders above what you get with a "normal" cruise.

As others mentioned, there is a level of service that is more akin to the Four Seasons than a Holiday Inn. Butler, Concierge, waitstaff, etc are all there to help you with just about anything you need. Need to book a show at the last minute and get excellent seats? The Concierge can do that. Same with specialty restaurants. Got a glitch with your bill? No standing in line at customer service. Concierge takes care of that.

Want lunch on your balcony? Butler brings it, sets it up, and complies with any special requests.

Hassle free embarkation and debarkation is part of it. The Haven restaurant is more like a specialty restaurant than you get eating in the MDRs. You have your own pool/hot tub areas that aren't stuffed. Even the area around the pool is stress free.

Looks like NCL is continuing their promos of (mostly) free drinks, including beer, wine and alcohol. And, they're offering free dining in specialty restaurants. Right now, you're getting $50/day off for excursions. And, about a Gig of free WiFi.

So, there are some financial incentives, too. Mostly, it's about the luxury experience.

If it's a $1,000 bill to upgrade, I'd do it without hesitation.

I'm unsure if I can sail NCL without staying in the Haven anymore. It's that good.

We had one of the end DOS (1BR/1BA) on the Dawn.

They are priced relatively "low" from the start, because they do not have a balcony.

(But some of the family suites on Deck 12 also don't have a balcony - although some do.)

The space was amazing.

(We had a toddler visiting throughout the cruise, and he was able to run around the LR to his heart's content.

We also had a Pack N Play placed in the BR, in case he needed a nap while parents were still visiting with us.)

And we absolutely LOVED that view :)

We had one of the inside ones (12500) it was great having the two bathrooms, but I really liked the one next door, 12502, the wrap around window was amazing. When we originally booked the balcony the price per person in the DOS was around $3100. I hope that someday we can cruise in a DOS end suite!!

Intocruising I did read back and saw your other comments. And yes I really do need a vacation... Which is why I was very put off by the one I commented on. All it tells me is to not mention we upgraded because the folks who paid full price will be rude

Was curious of your decision Susan. Glad you did it!

I've never heard any discussion of who paid what when we've stayed in the Haven. I believe, as another member mentioned, that upsells are a NCL selling point for the Haven in future cruises as it's tough to go back.

Again, enjoy your cruise!

to me, cruising in a suite is a lot like flying business or first class. if you can make it happen in your budget or can get a reasonable upgrade, it makes your trip better in a way that can't truly be described until you experience it.

it is hard to "go back" after you've seen the luxury side of travel.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences! We decided to stay in the aft balcony [emoji20] I really don't have budget for it plus all the things we want to do in port plus the extra days we are staying in Barcelona. Also, I have a feeling I would be so spoiled that I'd want the Haven every cruise! Thanks again!!

I've declined the Haven in the past for that amount, thinking "how could it be worth it?"

I can tell you after having my first suite experience this year that it is totally worth the upsell price. Don't even think.

My thinking before was that it was just a bigger room, but it's really about the services you get:

1) Never wait in a line for excursions or the front desk. You have a concierge for that (time is invaluable on vacation)

2) Checkin is quick, easy, and enjoyable, as is debarkation

3) The breakfast and lunch are more enjoyable and better food/service as well as quicker (more time for fun!)

4) Butler gives you more personal service, and room service is free

5) Haven Access

What I found was that all of these items decreased stress and added a lot of time to the cruise. For instance, the suite dining for breakfast and lunch was far quicker (sometimes an hour or so quicker) than the MDR. MDR has become very slow, and not very good. Imagine what you could do with 7-14 more hours over the course of your vacation. Same for things like front desk and excursion desk -- doesn't seem like a big deal, but saving a half hour here and there means a lot.

My 0.02. :)

WOW!!! this post is worth sooo much more then just .02 cents...!! you hit the nail right on the head...every word you wrote is the truth..yes you pay a little bit more here is a great breakdown: your cost is $500 PP for the week...so $500 / 7 days = $71 dollars per day additional...the breakfast and dinner alone in the Haven Restaurant is worth more then that!!! the full comped Haven Breakfast was our absolute favorite!!! so lets go further: $71 dollars a day / 24 hours = about 3 dollars an hour additional...we can go further but you see where im going with this...

Lets say you ...last minute... you decide you and spouse want to see a comedy show as you are walking by the already long line of those who dont have tickets....you reach into your purse and grab your cordless phone (provided to all Haven guests) and ring the concierge...you explain that you want to see the sold out show that starts in 15 mins...and your concierge happens to find 2 more seats for the "sold out" show...and now you are on the list...just show your Haven cruise card to the host. entry granted. its that simple. we did this this past march on BA...or lets say you walk up to taste or savor...and they say...its gonna be a 40 min wait tonight...and you hand her your Haven room key and the Hostess quickly apologizes for her misgivings and ushers you and your party to a reserved dining table as 3 waiters greet your arrival.

And let us not forget when you belly up to a packed/ crowded public pool bar that is 3 people deep and the wait could take 15 mins to get acknowledged...you hold your haven card so the bartender sees it and the bartenders point to you and ask...what can i get you...

All of these examples happened to me on my 3/6/16 Breakaway cruise.

It. Was. Delightful.

Best, Mark

WOW!!! this post is worth sooo much more then just .02 cents...!! you hit the nail right on the head...every word you wrote is the truth..yes you pay a little bit more here is a great breakdown: your cost is $500 PP for the week...so $500 / 7 days = $71 dollars per day additional...the breakfast and dinner alone in the Haven Restaurant is worth more then that!!! the full comped Haven Breakfast was our absolute favorite!!! so lets go further: $71 dollars a day / 24 hours = about 3 dollars an hour additional...we can go further but you see where im going with this...

Lets say you ...last minute... you decide you and spouse want to see a comedy show as you are walking by the already long line of those who dont have tickets....you reach into your purse and grab your cordless phone (provided to all Haven guests) and ring the concierge...you explain that you want to see the sold out show that starts in 15 mins...and your concierge happens to find 2 more seats for the "sold out" show...and now you are on the list...just show your Haven cruise card to the host. entry granted. its that simple. we did this this past march on BA...or lets say you walk up to taste or savor...and they say...its gonna be a 40 min wait tonight...and you hand her your Haven room key and the Hostess quickly apologizes for her misgivings and ushers you and your party to a reserved dining table as 3 waiters greet your arrival.

And let us not forget when you belly up to a packed/ crowded public pool bar that is 3 people deep and the wait could take 15 mins to get acknowledged...you hold your haven card so the bartender sees it and the bartenders point to you and ask...what can i get you...

All of these examples happened to me on my 3/6/16 Breakaway cruise.

It. Was. Delightful.

Best, Mark

Wow......reading these two posts made my day.....this is EXACTLY why I love the suite/haven life!!!! We have always had incredible service and the extra money we paid to be part of that was well well worth it!!! So looking forward to the Haven in October!!! My BF and his daughter have never cruised before but my daughter and I have a lot......so they get to start cruising in the Haven, not too shabby! They have nothing to compare it to lol!!!! I think they will be suitably impressed by it......

Leah

to me, cruising in a suite is a lot like flying business or first class. if you can make it happen in your budget or can get a reasonable upgrade, it makes your trip better in a way that can't truly be described until you experience it.

it is hard to "go back" after you've seen the luxury side of travel.

Very,very true and well said! I fly first class whenever possible....it's one way I treat myself.

I will be in the Haven for the first time this September and plan on enjoying it everything!

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences! We decided to stay in the aft balcony [emoji20] I really don't have budget for it plus all the things we want to do in port plus the extra days we are staying in Barcelona. Also, I have a feeling I would be so spoiled that I'd want the Haven every cruise! Thanks again!!

Wise choice. You would be giving up to much for things that do not add that much to your cruise. When you have the funds to do everything you want plus the suite, then do it. But it is not worth busting your budget for.

BTW, being in an aft balcony is FANTASTIC. You will enjoy it, I am sure!

Another suggestion was never to offer upsells to GTY cabins. Upgrade them to a better room as part of their GTY if room allows, but do not make specific offers of upsells into the Haven to them. I believe the upsell should be prorated so you pay x amount if you are going from a Minisuite, X amount + if you are going from a Balcony, and so on and so on.

It is one of the reasons the Pick your perk promotion now does not apply to GTY cabins.

I agree with most of what you said, except the 2 quoted statements above which show your ignorance of how GTY is handeled by NCL.

If you book a MX vs say a MC, the only thing you are saving is the promotions. NCL is getting the same value for both rooms, the person booking the MC just spent $200/pp more and gets ~$200/pp in promotion value its a shell game. The people booking MX are not giving NCL a penny less in room revenue.

The same applies to your second comment, the promotion doesn't apply to GTY cabins because its not factored into there rate, it has NOTHING to do with upsells, upgrades or anything else.

People who book GTY cabins are not a lower class of people, they are just people that don't want to pay for the perks the line is offering at that point and time.

I have been in the haven for all my cruises on NCL with the exception of one time. That one time my wife and I were in a mini suite. Sure we had a lot of fun because we had a lot of onboard credit but it still wasn't like the cruise before. In the Dawn we have stayed in the mini suite, Owners Suite & Garden Villa. Pearl we stayed in the owners suite. Getaway we stayed in forward penthouse and the aft penthouse. So the way I look at it is the balcony nonhave is like a 3-4 star hotel and the haven is a 5 star hotel. We have had great butlers and also not so great ones. It's what you want out of your vacation. Having a 4 year old cruising with us the haven made more sense because our meal times depend on him and the concierge will accommodate. Also getting on & off the ship at ports, having priority we can go anytime when he is ready. That's my personal opinion. Of course you are already aware of all the perks. So it depends on each individual. I can tell you that once you cruise haven on NCL you won't ever look at a inside room or a normal balcony. I hope this helps. I am sure you will have a great time no matter what you decide. I hope you take pics of your Alaska cruise and post them here so we can all see how much fun you had. Bon voyage!

• 1 year later...
So just curious, is it best to book HAVEN at the outset or wait to get the upsell?

BTW, you are replying to a thread that is almost 2 years old. A lot of the information may have changed, e.g. upsells vs. bidding for cabins.

Bottom line is its a personal choice. My view was against HAVEN until i actually experienced it by winning a bid. Now we decided to cruise less but go Haven. That does not make us right or wrong it is really a personal choice.

For an additional $500pp yes absolutely the Haven is worth it. I wouldn't think twice.

But this spring I was in a totally different dilemma. The NCL ships I wanted to sail, that had great itineraries, ships I'd never been on, etc. wanted 9k for a 2 bedroom Haven suite. I couldn't justify that when the Epic had 2 bedroom Haven suites for $6k. I've been on the Epic a few times, the itinerary was really terrible but........3k difference in the Haven from one ship to another!!

I do have my own price point for cruising in the Haven. It is below 9k a week! Yes, you do have to decide personally if it's a good choice for you but for $500 per person, this isn't even worth a minute's thought. Yes, of course for that price you jump on the opportunity!

For an additional $500pp yes absolutely the Haven is worth it. I wouldn't think twice.

But this spring I was in a totally different dilemma. The NCL ships I wanted to sail, that had great itineraries, ships I'd never been on, etc. wanted 9k for a 2 bedroom Haven suite. I couldn't justify that when the Epic had 2 bedroom Haven suites for $6k. I've been on the Epic a few times, the itinerary was really terrible but........3k difference in the Haven from one ship to another!!

I do have my own price point for cruising in the Haven. It is below 9k a week! Yes, you do have to decide personally if it's a good choice for you but for $500 per person, this isn't even worth a minute's thought. Yes, of course for that price you jump on the opportunity!

Yes we noticed the big ship 2bedroom pricing has seemed to jump dramatically as well but epic out of orlando was still pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know a Ferrari is "worth it" without regards as to my affordability. Do you need a Ferrari ? NO. Do you need the Haven to enjoy your cruise? No.

Would it be great to experience a Ferrari? Yes... Would it be nice to experience the Haven? yes.

If you can swing it, go for it! If you had a shot at either experience and turned it down, you may resent it for a long long time. It may be a once in a lifetime experience, but , guess what? You deserve on of those!

Well said.

If you can afford it, go for it! If not, then settle for something less. It all depends on your priorities. Do whatever that makes you happy. Life is too short not to do what you want to do.

Happy cruising....