RCCL Rule on Passport Expiry?

So, you know better than the CBP. Interesting. :rolleyes:

The world is full of people who read something on a web page and who think that is the final answer.

The world is full of people who bend over and just say thank you.

I am not one of those, I am cursed with a brain, and occasionally I use it...

JC:D:eek:

PS, do I know you as a different poster....:rolleyes:

The world is full of people who read something on a web page and who think that is the final answer.

Yes, I rather suspected that you based your knowledge on what you picked up on Cruise Critic. :rolleyes:

I decided to go ahead with the renewa,l and sucked it up and paid the extra $60 to expedite to be sure we had it in time. Many of you may think that is a waste of money but I'm not a gambling woman and prefer to play it safe in all aspects.

Now, what I didn't mention is I need to renew my children's passports as well. Last year we sailed just with their birth certificates, which is fine but I prefer passports. However, for them I'm just going with the standard renewal (non-expedited) since the birth certificate is still an option.

Thanks to all for the info!

I decided to go ahead with the renewa,l and sucked it up and paid the extra $60 to expedite to be sure we had it in time. Many of you may think that is a waste of money but I'm not a gambling woman and prefer to play it safe in all aspects.

Now, what I didn't mention is I need to renew my children's passports as well. Last year we sailed just with their birth certificates, which is fine but I prefer passports. However, for them I'm just going with the standard renewal (non-expedited) since the birth certificate is still an option.

Whatever gives you peace of mind.:)

Not sure what you'd be gambling on though and quite confused why the reasoning is different for your childrens passports renewals as opposed to yours.

I'm sure you'll have them both back in plenty of time.

Have a great cruise.:)

Bill

Yes, I rather suspected that you based your knowledge on what you picked up on Cruise Critic. :rolleyes:

Well you can learn from some people here, but that is a rather selective group. I have learned most of what I know by actually traveling and experiencing travel adventures.

Not from reading cruise lines boiler plate legalese written with the soul purpose of making sure the cruise line is not responsible for anything.

JC

Well you can learn from some people here, but that is a rather selective group. I have learned most of what I know by actually traveling and experiencing travel adventures.

Not from reading cruise lines boiler plate legalese written with the soul purpose of making sure the cruise line is not responsible for anything.

JC

If you had actually followed the link, you would have seen that it was a US Government document, not one from a cruise line. After almost 70 years, during which I have spent periods living abroad, working abroad and travelling internationally on business as well as for pleasure, I've never set a foot wrong seeking travel information directly from the foreign or domestic government departments and agencies enforcing the rules.

No worries, you choose your sources of information and I'll choose mine. :)

The closed-loop myth continues. Foreign countries decide on the requirements to visit their nations, not the US Government and most certainly not the cruise lines. I suggest that those in doubt read the following:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

Ok, I clicked your link. It was awesome. There is nothing there that convinces me that the OP needed to rush to renew passports. So, again. Sigh. Just you trying to scare the OP and everyone else that they have to have a passport. :eek: You might want to read my signature, it probably applies to you.

The OP has decided to expedite and renew passports you should be happy, and yet you still try to belittle others with your superior knowledge. I have never been without a passport since I was in my 20s, and I am way older now. I believe having a passport is something everyone leaving the USA or their country should have, that said, it is not necessary in a lot of cases, and scaring people into doing things unnecessary seems just wrong to me, and I dare say a few others.

JC

I've had RCI question me when I had 5 months left, so it isn't worth the risk to me.

They questioned you about a Passport that had 5 months left on a cruise that doesnt even require a Passport? lol.

My Passport expires in February 2018. I will not renew it for my cruise in October 2017. I WILL have a birth certificate as back up "justin case" but I generally always take it anyway. In the very slim chance my Passport gets stolen, lost etc, Im NOT missing my cruise!

Edited by ryano

Ok, I clicked your link. It was awesome. There is nothing there that convinces me that the OP needed to rush to renew passports. So, again. Sigh. Just you trying to scare the OP and everyone else that they have to have a passport. :eek: You might want to read my signature, it probably applies to you.

The OP has decided to expedite and renew passports you should be happy, and yet you still try to belittle others with your superior knowledge. I have never been without a passport since I was in my 20s, and I am way older now. I believe having a passport is something everyone leaving the USA or their country should have, that said, it is not necessary in a lot of cases, and scaring people into doing things unnecessary seems just wrong to me, and I dare say a few others.

JC

I'm not trying to scare anyone, just pointing out that the information that you provide and that provided by the US government aren't the same. I'll leave it to the reader to decide which to go with.

As I said previously, you pick your sources of information, and I'll pick mine. :)

Why are you ok cruising without your children's passports if you're not ok cruising without your own? Birth certificate is still an option for adults too. :confused:

I'm not trying to scare anyone, just pointing out that the information that you provide and that provided by the US government aren't the same. I'll leave it to the reader to decide which to go with.

As I said previously, you pick your sources of information, and I'll pick mine. :)

Please point out where I replied incorrectly. Otherwise, it is just your wrong I am right. I.E. Waste of electrons on the Internet. There is only correct information and incorrect information. If I am wrong, I would love to be corrected. I plan on waiting until the oceans freeze solid in Miami... :rolleyes:

Meanwhile you pretend as if I am in conflict with the almighty government.:rolleyes: Whatever, dude.:cool:

JC

Please point out where I replied incorrectly. Otherwise, it is just your wrong I am right. I.E. Waste of electrons on the Internet. There is only correct information and incorrect information. If I am wrong, I would love to be corrected. I plan on waiting until the oceans freeze solid in Miami... :rolleyes:

Meanwhile you pretend as if I am in conflict with the almighty government.:rolleyes: Whatever, dude.:cool:

JC

As I never said that you replied incorrectly, I'm not going to play your little game. :)

As I never said that you replied incorrectly, I'm not going to play your little game. :)

Seems like you did. Okay, maybe you didn't use the exact word "incorrect," but you certainly gave out that message. Not sure why (if you think that you're right) that you're backing away from it now.

I'm not afraid to say that you replied incorrectly, when you portrayed the closed-loop rule as a myth. It is not a myth, and the very source that you cited talks about that closed loop rule.

Now, it does, technically only apply to the regulations for re-entering the US at the end of your cruise, and the link cautions that it is possible that another country could require you to have a passport to enter from a cruise ship. None of the countries that are visited on closed-loop cruises from the US do so, but it is possible that they could change their requirements and begin to do so. Of course, in the unlikely event of that happening, it would mean you couldn't leave the ship at the affected port(s).

So, it is no myth that, on a closed-loop cruise from the US, a US citizen does not have to have a passport. I, personally, think it's a good idea to travel with a passport, even if it's not mandatory, but as of now, in this particular situation, it is not. And that is because of the very real closed-loop cruise exception that you incorrectly call a myth.

Edited by Paul65

They questioned you about a Passport that had 5 months left on a cruise that doesnt even require a Passport? lol.

My Passport expires in February 2018. I will not renew it for my cruise in October 2017. I WILL have a birth certificate as back up "justin case" but I generally always take it anyway. In the very slim chance my Passport gets stolen, lost etc, Im NOT missing my cruise!

Just guessing but the person you are quoting is not from the U.S.

Bill

Not traveling with minor's passports on a cruise is fine; until it isn't. If you have a medical emergency and have to fly home from a foreign country you will need a passport for everybody even a new born.

Contrary to popular belief you don't need a US PP to leave the USA. You only need it to get back in.

I know from personal experience as I arrested two current fugitive child molesters who were made to surrender their US Passports and then flew out of SFO to their birth countries without showing any Passport to leave.

Once they got to their birth country they were detained, but only until family brought proof of foreign birth.

They are both traveling around Europe as the countries they go to don't recognize the "age of consent" as the same as the USA.

Glad to see the OP went ahead and did what they thought worked best. It's all about feeling comfortable with your decisions and not what anybody on CC feels.

Seems like you did. Okay, maybe you didn't use the exact word "incorrect," but you certainly gave out that message. Not sure why (if you think that you're right) that you're backing away from it now.

I'm not afraid to say that you replied incorrectly, when you portrayed the closed-loop rule as a myth. It is not a myth, and the very source that you cited talks about that closed loop rule.

Now, it does, technically only apply to the regulations for re-entering the US at the end of your cruise, and the link cautions that it is possible that another country could require you to have a passport to enter from a cruise ship. None of the countries that are visited on closed-loop cruises from the US do so, but it is possible that they could change their requirements and begin to do so. Of course, in the unlikely event of that happening, it would mean you couldn't leave the ship at the affected port(s).

So, it is no myth that, on a closed-loop cruise from the US, a US citizen does not have to have a passport. I, personally, think it's a good idea to travel with a passport, even if it's not mandatory, but as of now, in this particular situation, it is not. And that is because of the very real closed-loop cruise exception that you incorrectly call a myth.

As you say, the regulations for closed-loop cruises apply to re-entering the US, not to the entry requirements of the countries visited. The myth to which I refer is the belief reflected in posts across umpteen threads on many to the boards that the regulations are applicable everywhere, not just at re-entry. I simply caution readers to take a minute to read up on the real requirements rather than the (sometimes erroneous) interpretations put forward by well-meaning CC posters. I've read all too many sad stories of people refused boarding because they didn't meet the requirements of the countries being visited.

On a personal note, my wife had a medical issue that required her to return home mid-cruise for surgery. At our next port of call, St. Lucia, we needed to get approval from immigration to enter the country under a different authority than that provided for cruise passengers. The comment was made to us that it was a good thing that our passports were good for more than six months or we would not have been given permission to enter, even though we were flying out the same day.

As any experienced cruiser know, most Caribbean countries do not subject passengers to any form of immigration verification. You simply walk off the ship without challenge. On any given day, however, a country could decide to enforce its visitor requirements. Not very likely, and probably not without some forewarning, but it's totally their prerogative.

To quote from from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection document in the link I provided:

HOWEVER, it is possible that one or more of the Caribbean Islands on your itinerary, does require you to have a passport to enter their country. In that case, it is very possible that the cruise line will require you to have a passport to board, even if it is not a U.S. requirement.

You should always check with your cruise ship, travel agent and or destination country to confirm the requirements for entry into the foreign countries you will be visiting.

CC is an excellent source of information on a lot of different subjects, but there are times when it is safer IMO to turn to official sources. Others may disagree, as is their prerogative.

On a personal note, my wife had a medical issue that required her to return home mid-cruise for surgery. At our next port of call, St. Lucia, we needed to get approval from immigration to enter the country under a different authority than that provided for cruise passengers. The comment was made to us that it was a good thing that our passports were good for more than six months or we would not have been given permission to enter, even though we were flying out the same day.

I don't doubt that the comment was made to you, but it probably wasn't true. Most likely, if you had a valid passport, but it was within 6 months of expiration, it would have caused no more than a little extra paperwork in a situation like that.

I don't doubt that the comment was made to you, but it probably wasn't true. Most likely, if you had a valid passport, but it was within 6 months of expiration, it would have caused no more than a little extra paperwork in a situation like that.

Maybe, maybe not, but when travelling, it's so easy to meet the stated requirements of the countries I'm visiting that I simply do it. Stress-free and I never have to wonder "what if...".

As Canadian citizens with passports that expired in one month (long complicated story as to why we could not renew them) we drove across the Canadian - US border, boarded a plane in the US to San Diego then boarded a RCL ship to Vancouver. Had no issues. The regulations are the passport must be valid the day I returned to Canada. I do understand the OPs stress though. I would have renewed ours if possible. Have a great trip.