Packing for kids

We have cruised before but this is the first time we are taking our kids. We have girls the are 6 and 7 and boys that are 10 and 12. Do any of you parents have any packing tips for me. What to take or not to take? I don't want to over pack but I want to make sure to have the things the kids need for all the activities. I also want to make sure they are dressed appropriately for kid parties and formal nights.

Your children will most likely be in their bathing suits all day. As far as formal attire for them....please don't worry about it. With the exception of beachwear, they will not be turned away. So few people dress up anymore.

We have cruised before but this is the first time we are taking our kids. We have girls the are 6 and 7 and boys that are 10 and 12. Do any of you parents have any packing tips for me. What to take or not to take? I don't want to over pack but I want to make sure to have the things the kids need for all the activities. I also want to make sure they are dressed appropriately for kid parties and formal nights.

A lot depends on your kids and your itinerary. Someone is going to come along and say they are going to be in swimwear all day, I know that isn't the case with my family. My son was always in gym shorts and t shirts all day long and wasn't into the pools on board. He only wore a bathing suit in port, on beach days.

He wore a polo shirt and khakis for dinner and would change back to shorts the second dinner was over, so he could rewear his dinner stuff, but not his daytime stuff. He would wear his souvenir t shirts towards the end of the week if he was running out of what he brought.

I'd pack extra underwear. I couldn't believe the amount of underwear my daughter would go through. She'd dress in the morning and then change into swim wear and then change back into clothing before dinner. Always using new underwear. Sometimes there might be another change due to having a shore excursion and pool time before dinner!

She wore sandals around the ship and to the pool with a dressy pair of sandals for dinner. She loves to dress up, so she had several sun dresses for the evening. She likes to wear water shoes at the beach, but I would only pack them if your child always wants water shoes at the beach. As long as each child has 2 pairs of footwear, in case one gets wet/sandy there is something else to wear to dinner.

When she was younger, we packed dollar store sand toys, like a bucket and shovel and then left them at the last beach.

We packed activities for the plane but never needed any activities for the ship. A coloring book or journal and color pencils is nice to have. Its an activity you can do out in the sun or in your stateroom waiting for others to get ready.

We've rented float mats and things at the beach, rather than trying to bring stuff with us.

I found her t-shirts and tank tops rarely would get worn more than once. They usually ended up with ice cream, ketchup or sand on them everyday. Shorts got multiple uses.

Suggest making good use of the large 2-gallon ziplock bags. Have cruised with my daughter and family and similar aged kids. She packs complete outfits including underwear and socks, in case socks needed, and puts their names on the bags and stacks the bags either in a drawer or shelf.

Each kid also had a bag with 3 swimsuits. The old idea of one to wear, one to dry, and a spare.

The boys also had a bag with a couple of pairs of long pants and collared shirts for MDR. They wore and kept pants for the next time - shirts too if they didn't get spilled on.

No costuming needed for pirate night. Bandanas and face paint will be provided. Fir the glow party I would pick up cheap glow sticks, rings, necklaces at the dollar store - MUCH cheaper than what the cruise charges. ENJOY!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A few bathing suits, t-shirts, shorts, my DD wore sundresses to dinner and DS had one non jeans and shirt for formal night and 2 pairs jeans for regular dinners with their without a character. I'd also suggest non-slip swim shoes or others for the pool deck as it can be very slippery.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

My kids are older teens now, but grew up cruising. I agree with the comments that every child and family is different (mine were not in swimsuits all day at all, for example).

The few things that you might not think of that we used to make a point of bringing:

several pairs of socks even for a hot weather cruise (also needed for rock walls, so that is all ships--not just ships with ice rinks)

long pants if they will ice skate--as someone else already mentioned

swim shirts for the girls (because even one piece suites can slip in odd ways on the flow rider)

nightlight, flashlights or glow sticks so they can see to find the bathroom at night

PJs that they are comfortable wearing to a pajama party (we sailed Disney when my kids were young enough for those; I am not sure if RCI does this or not)

That's pretty much it beyond what you would normally think about anyway. Sailing with kids is really very easy

Really, or are you trying to be funny? I never wear socks with my skates and I doubt that RCI would be interested.

Why would I make a joke about socks? Socks and long pants are required for ice skating.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=2713

Socks are required for other activities too, such as rock climbing.

Why would I make a joke about socks? Socks and long pants are required for ice skating.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=2713

Socks are required for other activities too, such as rock climbing.

That's what I was wondering, but it seemed to be such a strange requirement that I didn't think you could be serious. Having read the linked page, though, I see that RCI indeed has made it a requirement. The same for rock climbing, a sport where almost no one wears socks, but RCI makes it a requirement. As Alice would say, curiouser and curiouser. :)

That's what I was wondering, but it seemed to be such a strange requirement that I didn't think you could be serious. Having read the linked page, though, I see that RCI indeed has made it a requirement. The same for rock climbing, a sport where almost no one wears socks, but RCI makes it a requirement. As Alice would say, curiouser and curiouser. :)

The issue is most likely, hygiene. Most people use the provided skates and climbing shoes.