Liguria and Cinque Terre is pissing me off

Millenia98

I just want to express my annoyance at the lack of accommodations. Yes, we are annoying bc we need a 3 bedroom. But I cannot find any good apartments or places with A/C. Ugh.

If it were up to me, I'd be fine with the windows open and would deal with it (August 31st), but my husband and my Mom would likely complain.

So many signs are telling me to skip Liguria and Cinque Terre (was visiting 2 days on the way to fly out of Milan). I'm so close to changing...

:(

Thank goodness for the lack of accomodations in the 5 villages.....as the last thing they need are more people! The Italian government is already talking about limiting visitors by closing the access road on crowded days. You might want to consider staying nearby in La Spezia. And as far as A/C, all those old places in the 5 Villages do have A/C....accept it is what we call "Italian A/C" which means an open window. Most of these buildings are very old making retro fitting A/C difficult.

Hank

Are you looking for something this August? If so, you're far too late. There are limited accommodations to begin with, and the very few bigger ones book up almost as soon as they become available.

I know it's not Cinque Terre, but Levanto has a lot to offer and it's just one stop north of Monterosso on the train.

Are you looking for something this August? If so, you're far too late. There are limited accommodations to begin with, and the very few bigger ones book up almost as soon as they become available.

I know it's not Cinque Terre, but Levanto has a lot to offer and it's just one stop north of Monterosso on the train.

Yes this August, but I've been looking for months and it has been the same thing :/

Is there anything to offer in Levanto? My plan was to stay in a cool town like Rapallo or SM and then do a side trip to Portofino. Then do cinque Terre the next day. Is this doable from Levanto without too much annoyance?

I would also stay in Levanto. It is a very pleasant unspoilt Italian seaside town and I stayed there for 5 days a few years ago.. The Cinque Terre is completely over run with tourists now. It was lovely years ago and in fact I stayed and worked in Monterosso for 3 months in the 60s.

Levanto is one stop on the train from Monterosso and easy to get to Portofino. Stop is Santa Margarita and the bus stops outside the station for Portofino.

I stayed in a beachfront hotel in Rapallo a few years ago. We took the ferry a couple of times to Portofino. We also spent a day visiting Cinque Terre. I would also be quite happy to stay in Santa Margarita.

We just were in Santa Margarita last week during our port stop in Portfino. Wonderful town. It does have the beaches you mentioned that you wanted in an earlier thread. They were not as wide and expansive as the ones in Monterosso, they were more a series of connected beaches with different operators. Town did look like it would be lively at night. SM had a very nice vibe.

Levanto and Sestri Levante are both on the train route from Santa Margherita to Monterosso. Both have beaches and both have their charm. Not as "cool" as SM or Rapallo, but convenient just the same. Sestri is closer to the E80 autostrada.

Check the ferry schedules to see which one has the best connections to Portofino and CT. You can combine train and ferry as convenient. Check google maps for the location of the train stations in relation to whichever hotel you may find to see how far you have to walk to get there.

We are looking for a quaint place to visit next May after docking in Rome. Want to spend 3-5 nights but not necessarily a beach only area... Any suggestions ..oh, need something relatively easy to get to from pier with 3 pieces of luggage

Italian homes, especially older ones such as the type in small seaside towns such as those in Cinque Terre and the Ligurian Seaside, just aren't ever going to be multi-bedroom - they weren't ever built that way. These were simple fishing families with not a lot of money; actually throughout Italy - if one has ever seen a few episodes of HGTV's House Hunter's International set in Italy - your average Italian home/flat is rather compact, doesn't have more than two bedrooms and almost never has closets.

Air con was usually a late addition and as has been mentioned, dependent upon the capacity of a structure's electrical system - often too old to support it. Only very new Italian construction would have more bedrooms (3+) - or the older, large grand structures (villas)...these are not common in this area, the newer homes.

Travel can be a source of frustration sometime as we come across the "differences" from what one is accustomed to - sometimes the challenge is finding a way to compromise in order to enjoy just what it is drew us to these wonderful countries in the first place - culture, food, the people, natural beauty...we begin to realize what we can give up in order to realize what we will gain. For everyone though, this can vary greatly of course.

Italian living areas often have futons or "click-clacks" that are fine for sleeping, a sea-side hill-top village can cool off at night with fans blowing, a two bedroom might work. If there are health conditions requiring A/C well, then understandably it's a different situation and a hotel in La Spezia might just be better. Hopefully something will work out! :)