Where do you wash the cups?

Just rinse it out and go for it. Your are more likely to get sick grabbing the door handle in a bathroom on the ship than these cups. If you are a scared of germs the last place you should be is on a cruise ship.

I bring a small container of dish soap, in one of those travel size liquid containers you can buy from Walmart or the dollar store.

We don't buy the drink plan, but I bring travel cups. A drop of soap in the mug and fill it with hot water from the sink. Give it a good old shake and rinse it out.

Dish soap comes in handy for all kinds of things, even shaving your legs :D

Just to drag this out even more, as we seem quite good at doing, but do parents of babies already have the answer with how they clean the baby bottle? Although I'm not a parent, and come to think of it have never seen a baby on board. Hmm, I'm not helping here am I?!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't use one of those cups at all (take it home with you as a souvenir)...I prefer using a clean glass each time...even at the freestyle machine ;)

You can't use the freestyle machine without the cup.

What would happen if the cups got confused? :confused:

There are 5 of us and only ~3 different patterns on the tumblers.

We have some flexible reusable (silicone?) straws that fit quite well in them.

Each of the straws is a different color so everyone knows which one belongs to them.

I don't really like drinking through the straw so I often leave mine out. I'm also

the only one who doesn't want to 'share.' (I just rinse out my cup every couple of days,

so I'm not a huge germophobe either.)

Note that for many in this forum, this just creates one more thing that needs to be washed. :D ;)

Edited by ewenix

Just to drag this out even more, as we seem quite good at doing, but do parents of babies already have the answer with how they clean the baby bottle? Although I'm not a parent, and come to think of it have never seen a baby on board. Hmm, I'm not helping here am I?!

Dish soap from home. I also pack a tea towel so it can dry on that, rather than a ship one. (I can't wrap my head around using a 'body' towel for a dish-silly I know!)

Every trip we take I always bring these giant plastic cups from home and usually a good rinse in hot water is all they need. I only packed soap last time to clean out my DD's sippy cup, because it was going to be holding milk.

My concern was never germs. My concern is stickiness. I'm not a soda drinker, so I akin it to caramel, which takes hot water, soap, and scrubbing to get off a dish. Otherwise, you're left with an unappetizing film. My water cups at home, I don't even rinse (gasp!) and will use them until I feel like washing them. Water doesn't (usually) lend an odor and is not (usually) sticky, while soda (I assumed) is.

If I decide to use the cup on board, I'll wash it in the toilet tank, like a normal person.

I suggest bringing a portable dish washer. They are about the size of a mini-fridge. I always bring them along with a large bottle of detergent pods. My stateroom attendant is very good about getting a hot water line diverted directly into my room for hookup.

Sometimes when I forget that I put them under hot water for like 10 seconds and rinse them out. Hardly optimal.

I suggest bringing a portable dish washer. They are about the size of a mini-fridge. I always bring them along with a large bottle of detergent pods. My stateroom attendant is very good about getting a hot water line diverted directly into my room for hookup.

Sometimes when I forget that I put them under hot water for like 10 seconds and rinse them out. Hardly optimal.

I like to put the cups in the freezer and make my own popsicles. You can get the freezer at Guest Services :D

Go to the Dollar store and get some cheap sponges.

Cut them up into 2"x2" squares.

Soak in water.

Squeeze out excess water so they're not dripping.

Squirt some dish detergent onto each piece.

Rub it into the sponge but don't squeeze them.

Allow them to dry on the counter.

After they're dry, put them in a ziplock bag.

Just re-wet to use and then toss them in the trash when done.

Just fill it with Vodka. That will kill all germs. And then you can have fun emptying it. Rinse and Repeat.

Erika

Best advice so far. Vodka can get sticky though, might want to alternate between Rum and Vodka as they are mutual solvents.

Edited by EntropyGuardian

There are 5 of us and only ~3 different patterns on the tumblers.

We have some flexible reusable (silicone?) straws that fit quite well in them.

Each of the straws is a different color so everyone knows which one belongs to them.

I don't really like drinking through the straw so I often leave mine out. I'm also

the only one who doesn't want to 'share.' (I just rinse out my cup every couple of days,

so I'm not a huge germophobe either.)

Note that for many in this forum, this just creates one more thing that needs to be washed. :D ;)

New version of the cups only comes in one color. Might want to just bring a sharpie and mark the cups.

Just rinse it out and go for it. Your are more likely to get sick grabbing the door handle in a bathroom on the ship than these cups. If you are a scared of germs the last place you should be is on a cruise ship.

This. As long as you rinse it out after each use its fine .. That's also why the bar staff are told not to unscrew lids etc you have to unscrew the top and hand it too them. They'll rinse it with water and then refill.

Edited by Single Cruiser

Rinse them after use with hot water and let them dry. As long as only you are using your cup, there are not "sharing germs" to worry about, and the hot water like for tea would kill anything anyway.

Simple, easy answer, now to see why this goes on for several pages.