Are Free Excursions Just a Gimmick?

My impression is that the advertising often exceeds the reality. I consider both 'free' [vs included in fare] and 'unlimited' to be hyperbole or gimmicky.

However, the excursions do exist...the trick appears to be getting on those you would like. For example, we are sailing late December into January. The bookings opened in May and very quickly many were fully booked. There is no ability to wait list yourself via the booking page. I also found the offerings to be rather slim although that may[ or may not] improve going forward. At the least, this means surveillance of the offerings or contacting my TA.

On the whole I am not enthralled with included excursions which only jack up the fare for everyone, all of the time. I realize that I am in the minority, but we have chosen to sail Regent far less since this program began. At the same time, we have friends who are greatly attracted to Regent for this bundling aspect. Paula

For the reasons described in the last post, IMO, allowing an "Opt out" option would solve the problem for both those that are attracted by included excursions and those that are not*. It would be easy to monitor...... if you book an excursion and have the "included excursion" package, there would be no cost (assuming it is not a Regent Choice excursion). If you do not have the "included excursion" package, the computer would automatically charge you for that particular excursion.

On our next three cruises, we would elect to opt out of excursions, however, on our Asian cruise, we would opt in. It would be so nice to have that choice.

*This assumes that Regent would give a reasonable credit to opt out of excursions.

For the reasons described in the last post, IMO, allowing an "Opt out" option would solve the problem for both those that are attracted by included excursions and those that are not*. It would be easy to monitor...... if you book an excursion and have the "included excursion" package, there would be no cost (assuming it is not a Regent Choice excursion). If you do not have the "included excursion" package, the computer would automatically charge you for that particular excursion.

Surely this would negate Regent's u.s.p. of being truly 'all inclusive', which is one of the reasons that we, and I am sure others, stay attracted to their offering

If excursions became an optional package then we see this becoming the slippery slope towards optional packages for beverages, speciality restaurants etc., which for us would devalue the Regent experience

We do, however, agree with the idea of applying a nominal penalty charge for those that make late cancellations of included excursions..........and maybe similar minor penalties for late cancellation in the speciality restaurants

There is no ability to wait list yourself via the booking page. I also found the offerings to be rather slim although that may[ or may not] improve going forward. At the least, this means surveillance of the offerings or contacting my TA.

On a cruise later this year we found a couple of excursions 'sold-out' and were also unable to 'waitlist' on-line. I rang the Regent office direct, rather than going through our TA, and they put us on a waitlist for both; this was then confirmed on our on-line excursion summary.

Maybe the ability to waitlist yourself on-line has been disabled?

We perceive the number and range of excursion offerings on our future cruises as varied as previous years..........although obviously dependent on the destination

Hope you manage to book the type of excursions that you desire

Surely this would negate Regent's u.s.p. of being truly 'all inclusive', which is one of the reasons that we, and I am sure others, stay attracted to their offering

If excursions became an optional package then we see this becoming the slippery slope towards optional packages for beverages, speciality restaurants etc., which for us would devalue the Regent experience

We do, however, agree with the idea of applying a nominal penalty charge for those that make late cancellations of included excursions..........and maybe similar minor penalties for late cancellation in the speciality restaurants

Let me explain why I disagree. Right now we can opt out of airfare and/or pre-cruise hotels. Both of these items are provided by people Regent contracts with and do not take place onboard the ship. Even with these opt-out options, Regent is the most "all inclusive" luxury cruise line. Excursions also take place off of the ship and are provided by outside contractors. The all-inclusivity of Regent takes place onboard the ship - the items you mentioned - "beverages, specialty restaurants, etc.". No one is asking to change what is included onboard the ship.

Also, Regent has to give the tour operators a person "count" prior to the day of the excursion. Therefore, they are paying for people that do not show up. This is not the case with restaurants on board.

I had this discussion with a friend at Regent corporate and they agreed with me (however, I don't see any changes coming in the near future). Maybe if passengers keep asking, they will listen. Regent lost quite a few customers (and gained others) when the included excursions went into effect. It would be nice to see those passengers return to Regent while still making those of you that want included excursions happy. It could be a win-win situation!

P.S. What does "u.s.p." mean?

Edited by Travelcat2

Jacquie, In your last post you refer to a friend at Regent corporate with whom you discussed opt out. Why not discuss something useful, such as having enough room on excursions when they are posted. I know you are not telling all when you deny having insider contacts in Miami, why not acknowledge it?

Jacquie, In your last post you refer to a friend at Regent corporate with whom you discussed opt out. Why not discuss something useful, such as having enough room on excursions when they are posted. I know you are not telling all when you deny having insider contacts in Miami, why not acknowledge it?

There really isn't more to tell..... just a lot of conspiracy theories:) All of my posts are the results of what exists in my brain (and the fact that I'm a voracious reader and read everything possible about Regent, luxury cruising, etc.) You can only imagine how cluttered my brain is:-)

In term of excursions, I believe that the opt out option is even more important than room on excursions. Actually, I would love to see a thread (one where no one is bashed for their opinions) where posters discuss how they would run included excursions - given the number of passengers, availability of buses at different ports, etc. IMO, it better to come up with solid suggestions than just complain about it (my suggestion has always been the opt out option).

Edited by Travelcat2

Since I have NEVER seen the overcrowded bus phenomenon, and in general the guides have been good to very good I would say that bookability is more important. Agree that shopping stops are annoying, but we have found several worthwhile and have several knick knacks - dust collectors if you prefer sitting in our living room.

BTW Jacquie, I am not bashing, just pointing out inconsistencies in your posts.

You either know people in Miami or you don't.

Didn't think that you were bashing me - just trying to stay on point rather than wandering off on other topics. In terms of inconsistencies, I have no doubt that there are many. I change my mind about things....... time changes how things are remembered, etc. Who I know or do not know really has nothing to do Regent or Cruise Critic. When you sail on a cruise line long enough, you do make friends/acquaintances. Not trying to be secretive. Just today I saw that Randall Soy will be on CC answering questions about the Explorer on the 17th. He works for corporate and I didn't mention him either. I met him 2 1/2 years ago at a party in a private home and we did discuss Regent (he is such a lovely man!). Again, IMO, this is a non-issue.

Good to hear that you have not encountered the many problems that we have experienced on excursions. Still not sure how Regent could make getting on excursions easier given the restrictions of available transportation and tour operators at every port. We have had two excursions on school buses (once in St. Helena and once in Astoria, Oregon). Actually, it was quite fun!

Edited by Travelcat2

My family came from several different locations to cruise together on Regent. So we had all booked our excursions on our own, with some discussion, but no real coordination.

Every night at dinner we would talk about the excursions for the next day or two, and who was booked on what, and who wanted to change. I was the designated runner to go to the excursions desk to ask for more details or suggestions as well as to swap out tickets when necessary. I think I was there nearly every day, at least once if not more often.

But our group of 7 one year and 8 the next always managed to get to do the excursions we wanted to. Some of paid for the higher end ones, but most of us opted for the included ones. Some we did all together and some were in smaller groups.

We were never disappointed about not getting to do what we wanted.