Cruising Antarctica

Kirrus

I heard several years ago that HAL hadn't renewed a license for cruising Antarctica. I see it didn't happen as HAL didn't exclude Antarctica completely. Ms Zaandam does visit Antarctica from Dec to Feb each year including 2016-2017. My question: do you know if HAL shortened the Antarctica portion of this South America and Antarctica cruise? The itinerary map does show a smaller Antarctica part, but I know the reality can be different (i.e. they cannot guarantee but may or may not go deeper). Do you know anything about it? Thanks a lot!

Edited by Kirrus

I've taken this cruise three times going back to 2002, and have another booked this coming January. Although the length of the cruise itself has been shortened, I don't see a difference in the planned length of The Antarctica Experience time.

Ships have been known to make an early departure to get ahead of a storm, but that can't be planned or predicted.

The fewer days seems to be at the beginning or end of the cruise. It used to start or end in Rio, and now that point is Buenos Aires.

Thanks Ruth. Your will to keep cruising there means a lot for me. I meant HAL might shorten mileage, not time in Antarctica, if it doesn't go as deep south as it used to. We're going to take Dec 20 cruise.

Thanks Ruth. Your will to keep cruising there means a lot for me. I meant HAL might shorten mileage, not time in Antarctica, if it doesn't go as deep south as it used to. We're going to take Dec 20 cruise.

We did it past February on the Prinsendam and spent almost a week in Antarctica, it was fabulous, 'iceberg alley' you'll never forget it...

I've looked at the itinerary for the December cruise and the Antarctic part is the same as what we have done in the past.

One+ day transiting Drake passage, 3 full days in the Antarctic (with over nights in Gerlache Strait, likely) and one day+ back through Drake passage.

As to how far south: that is entirely the decision of the ice pilot and the Captain. It looks to me that the December 20 cruise plans for the typical itinerary. It is pretty much the same every year. (Sir PMP is talkng about the Grand SA).

In excellent conditions a couple of cruises have gone farther south than planned; some have had to cancel certain areas and do others. Lemaire Channel is a regular cancellation. It is really a hit and miss cruise. But I don't think HAL has cut back on the standard itinerary.

This is an extraordinary cruise!!!

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. :o Thanks for clarifying.

There is no set route for the ship to follow while in Antarctic waters. There is a plan, and then there's Plan B---followed by Plans C, D, E, etc. Sometimes all the way up to Plan L or M. :eek: As Silvertogold said, the ship will go where it is able to go, depending on ice conditions, fog, and all the other weather conditions.

I do remember one time that one of the ships had some extra time, and excellent conditions, so took a run down to cross the Antarctic Circle! That must have been a thrill, just because of how unusual it was to be able to do that.

But no matter where you sail within the waters, it is a deeply moving time to be there.

We might have been unable to do much in Iceberg Alley due to the foggy conditions, but we sailed right through the Lemaire Channel (if you were on the Prinsendam in 2014) which most ships doesn't get to do. The exploration team said that they had only been through the Lemaire Channel 3 times out 33 visits.

Also in 2014, we saw more whales than I have seen on a whale watching tour. And some of them were very close to the Prinsendam. And I understand that almost 50 whales were seen in 2015 during the Prinsendam's GV.

Each time you go, it is totally different. That is why it is fantastic if you can do it more than once. In 2014, we didn't get to Elephant Island. But in 2011 we saw Elephant Island early in the morning as we were going SA around Antarctica.

Reason why HAL has been able to sail to Antarctica is that they convert the ship to light marine fuel which is extremely expensive.the Prinsendam didn't finish all the light marine fuel they had until we reached Fortaleza, Brazil. If this trip is on your bucket list, you should do it before they change the rules.

We might have been unable to do much in Iceberg Alley due to the foggy conditions, but we sailed right through the Lemaire Channel (if you were on the Prinsendam in 2014) which most ships doesn't get to do. The exploration team said that they had only been through the Lemaire Channel 3 times out 33 visits.

Also in 2014, we saw more whales than I have seen on a whale watching tour. And some of them were very close to the Prinsendam. And I understand that almost 50 whales were seen in 2015 during the Prinsendam's GV.

Each time you go, it is totally different. That is why it is fantastic if you can do it more than once. In 2014, we didn't get to Elephant Island. But in 2011 we saw Elephant Island early in the morning as we were going SA around Antarctica.

Reason why HAL has been able to sail to Antarctica is that they convert the ship to light marine fuel which is extremely expensive.the Prinsendam didn't finish all the light marine fuel they had until we reached Fortaleza, Brazil. If this trip is on your bucket list, you should do it before they change the rules.

We have booked South America and Antarctica on Zaandam starting December 20, from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires.

We have booked South America and Antarctica on Zaandam starting December 20, from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires.

I am so glad to hear this!

Christmas Day at sea viewing the Chilean Fjords will be great.

NY Eve in the Antarctic is a little trickier because it is light so late and you will want to be out and about, watching for whales, seeing the landscape.

Be aware that often the Christmas Eve menu is better than the actual Christmas Day one. Watch for the Carol Singing, Santa, the special treats on NY Eve.

Does Holland America send passengers over to the continent of Antarctica via Zodiacs or small boats, or is this a "drive by" cruise (scenic cruising)?

No, there are no landings in Antarctica - but we didn't miss that on our cruise. There's really nothing you can see ashore that you can't see from the ship. As to experiencing the wildlife, that was much better in the Falklands and on Tierra del Fuego.

The Zaandam from Buenos Aires to Santiago via the Falklands and 3 days in Antarctica was our best cruise ever.

Antarctica goes way beyond an Alaska cruise to glacier bays!

Summer in the southern hemisphere has cruise start and end in sunny warm weather. The Chile fiords are spectacular.

Go and enjoy!

Does Holland America send passengers over to the continent of Antarctica via Zodiacs or small boats, or is this a "drive by" cruise (scenic cruising)?

I believe the magic number of passengers on board for being able to have zodiac landings is somewhere in the 200-300 range. Way, WAY below what HAL ships will have.

After we spent 4-5 days in Antarctica, I was talking to another woman at an Internet Café in Ushuaia. She wasn't happy with her husband after she learned our cruise was twice as long as hers - and cost half as much. He hadn't told her a cruise like ours was an option. She hadn't been that impressed with the zodiac landings.

Going ashore wasn't important to us. For others that is extremely important. Even though we did a so-called "drive by" cruise, we could still see and smell :eek::eek::eek: the penguins. We had expected our Antarctica cruise to be a 'once in a lifetime' experience, we will be returning. After the 45+ foot seas on our way to Antarctica, DH won't even consider returning on a smaller, expedition type ship.

No, there are no landings in Antarctica - but we didn't miss that on our cruise. There's really nothing you can see ashore that you can't see from the ship. As to experiencing the wildlife, that was much better in the Falklands and on Tierra del Fuego.

No, there is a way to land on the continent, HAL has a tour from Punta Arenas with the Chilean airforce to their base camp where you can walk around and have lunch, cost is about $4000. But remember weather, last Jan/Feb. a group went and had to come back early because of incoming snow storms..

I believe the magic number of passengers on board for being able to have zodiac landings is somewhere in the 200-300 range. Way, WAY below what HAL ships will have.

After we spent 4-5 days in Antarctica, I was talking to another woman at an Internet Café in Ushuaia. She wasn't happy with her husband after she learned our cruise was twice as long as hers - and cost half as much. He hadn't told her a cruise like ours was an option. She hadn't been that impressed with the zodiac landings.

Going ashore wasn't important to us. For others that is extremely important. Even though we did a so-called "drive by" cruise, we could still see and smell :eek::eek::eek: the penguins. We had expected our Antarctica cruise to be a 'once in a lifetime' experience, we will be returning. After the 45+ foot seas on our way to Antarctica, DH won't even consider returning on a smaller, expedition type ship.

You are sort of right. Ships are allowed to have only 100 passengers on land at a time. Can you imagine landing 3000 passengers in groups of 100.

We did Antarctica on a ship that held 260 passengers so they divided us up into 3 groups. Would we have preferred to have more time on land - yes. Was it enough time on land - also yes. My choice for the best ship would have been a <100 passenger expedition ship which would have given us more land time but we got a deal on our trip that we could not believe. Many of the people on our ship paid more than twice what we paid. They were not happy when they found out the deal that we got.

Personally I feel that a "drive by" Antarctica cruise is silly since it is the equivalent of visiting London by going up and down the Thames without stopping to let the passengers off. There is a big difference between seeing the penguins and having them walk right up to you because they do not know that they are supposed to have a 10 foot distance between them and you. I even have several pictures of 2 penguins "doing it".

However, as I have said many times on CC - different strokes for different folks. What is important is that you enjoyed your trip and we enjoyed ours.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

You are sort of right. Ships are allowed to have only 100 passengers on land at a time. Can you imagine landing 3000 passengers in groups of 100.

We did Antarctica on a ship that held 260 passengers so they divided us up into 3 groups. Would we have preferred to have more time on land - yes. Was it enough time on land - also yes. My choice for the best ship would have been a <100 passenger expedition ship which would have given us more land time but we got a deal on our trip that we could not believe. Many of the people on our ship paid more than twice what we paid. They were not happy when they found out the deal that we got.

Personally I feel that a "drive by" Antarctica cruise is silly since it is the equivalent of visiting London by going up and down the Thames without stopping to let the passengers off. There is a big difference between seeing the penguins and having them walk right up to you because they do not know that they are supposed to have a 10 foot distance between them and you. I even have several pictures of 2 penguins "doing it".

However, as I have said many times on CC - different strokes for different folks. What is important is that you enjoyed your trip and we enjoyed ours.

DON

As I understand there are huge amounts of penguins in other stops during this cruise. All kinds of penguins except Emperor, but I doubt you saw them in Antarctica. What I want to see there is landscape.

As I understand there are huge amounts of penguins in other stops during this cruise.

Punta Arenas has a couple of excellent opportunities to see penguins, up close and personal. Both excursions are reliable for seeing them.

Punta Arenas has a couple of excellent opportunities to see penguins, up close and personal. Both excursions are reliable for seeing them.

My best penguin viewing was Volenteer Point on the Falkland Islands. We have also seen penguins up close in Puenta Arenas, Puerto Madryn Argentina and South Africa. Volenteer Pount had huge colony of King Penguins who are actually more colorful than their big brothers, the Emperor Penguin. There were also a colony of Magellenic and Gentoo penguins. The Gentoo in particular come extremely close.

So I also don't feel deprived in doing just a drive-by in Antarctica. The scenery is so soectular. Plus, we saw not only penguins. We saw seals and whales.

My best penguin viewing was Volenteer Point on the Falkland Islands.

If only you make it in to port there. Two out of three times we haven't been able to tender in to the Falklands. Maybe the next time???