Alilaguna Blue Line - Venice

cc-riderslc

I am going to take the Alilaguna Blue Line from San Marco airport in Venice to the cruise port. I can find detailed instructions on how to get on the Alilaguna boat from the airport but nothing about what to do once you arrive at the cruise port. Anyone done this? Is there a central building to check the luggage? A central building to check in? Or will Royal Caribbean give me a dock number and I go directly to that building to take care of it all?

Just thought I read somewhere there is a central area you drop off luggage before going to the waiting area near your ship. I don't want to carry it more than I need to. And I did mean Marco Polo airport. I guess there are just to many Marco's in Venice for me keep straight. :)

The luggage drop place can vary depending on the ship, how many other ships are in port, etc. Once you are at the port you will be able to get the info. And it can be a pretty long walk from the Alilaguna pier (depending on which terminal they are using for your ship). But such is the life when dealing with Venice....nothing is ever too easy. That is part of the charm.

Hank

We ended up booking the ship transfer - more costly but I remember it being quite confusing at the port, so helpful that bus dropped us at the right place.

That is not a great option...given that most cruise lines overcharge for transfers...and often make you stand around the airport until they get enough folks to fill a bus/van. Another option is to simply walk out of the terminal and grab a taxi....who can take you right to the port and drop you at the same place as the transfers. A taxi should cost you less than 50€ (for the entire cab). While the transfer folks are waiting to get their transfer organized, you will be arriving at the port. And we would add that the taxi will take you about 20 min to the port...versus the Alilaguna which takes more than an hour.

Hank

Hlitner - How would you recommend getting into Venice proper (actually Giudecca) with luggage ? Is it easy to get a water taxi or should we pre-arrange something?

Coming from the airport? Or elsewhere. The Blue Line stops at the Hilton (Giudecca), if that is where you are staying, and you are coming from the airport.

Hlitner - How would you recommend getting into Venice proper (actually Giudecca) with luggage ? Is it easy to get a water taxi or should we pre-arrange something?

If money is not a major issue, there is nothing more romantic (and fun) then a water taxi :). If on a budget, we agree with the Alilaguna Blu Line. This slow boat will get you from the airport dock (a long walk from the terminal) right to Giudecca.

Water taxis can be arranged at the airport and whenever we have been to the pier there was never a long wait. There is actually a reservations desk right in the airport arrival hall, you can simply stop there and book a water taxi which will usually be waiting for you by the time you make the long trek to the pier. There are also a few online taxi booking agencies...but we have know personal experience with these companies.

Also consider where you are staying on Giudecca....compared to the Alilaguna stop. Keep in mind that you have to get your luggage from the pier to the hotel (or hope to find a porter who will charge you too many Euros to move your luggage). IF your hotel has their own dock, a private water taxi can take you right to your hotel.

Hank

Perfect thanks. We are coming from the airport and staying at the Hilton, so it looks like either option (the Alilaguna Blue Line or a private water taxi) would work. There are 6 of us traveling together, so a water taxi might be better in terms of getting us all on together with our luggage.

Perfect thanks. We are coming from the airport and staying at the Hilton, so it looks like either option (the Alilaguna Blue Line or a private water taxi) would work. There are 6 of us traveling together, so a water taxi might be better in terms of getting us all on together with our luggage.

With 6 we would do a water taxi in a heartbeat. When you look at the cost per person, the water taxi should be around 20€ (give or take a few Euros) which is well worth the price. The water taxi will also get you to your hotel in about half the time as the Alilaguna.

Hank

we stayed at the Hilton a couple of years ago and as my daughter and her fiancé joined us for a couple of nights prior to their inter railing trip round Europe we decided that for 4 of us it was worth pushing the boat out[pun intended] and to go for a water taxi-it was worth it

We pre reserved with venice connected[i think] and saved 10 euros-90 as opposed to 100 euros

We went to the water taxi desk at the airport and handed over our voucher.In return we were given a reference number for a specific water taxi and pulled our luggage along to the dock

Once there our taxi driver helped us get into the boat and he hauled the luggage

An exhilarating 30 mins later we were pulling up at Hilton dock and he again hauled the luggage where it was collected by a hotel employee and taken into the hotel

For the 2 of us would have begrudged the cost but with a larger party totally worth it

Hi Hank,

We have been to Venice before but our first time flying into Marco Polo Airport. We (2 of us) will arrive the day before our cruise and plan on taking the ATVO "Venezia Express" bus from the airport to our hotel located at Piazzale Roma.

Have you ever used this bus before? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! e:)

Hi Hank,

We have been to Venice before but our first time flying into Marco Polo Airport. We (2 of us) will arrive the day before our cruise and plan on taking the ATVO "Venezia Express" bus from the airport to our hotel located at Piazzale Roma.

Have you ever used this bus before? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! e:)

Yep :) We regularly use the ATVO and have previously posted info on this site. For getting to the P. Roma it is the perfect option. You get a very nice Coach style bus, unlimited luggage storage underneath, frequent service (at least every half hour) and it is very comfy. During most of the day they leave the airport on the hour, 20 past and 40 past. So if you just miss a bus, you only have to wait a few minutes for the next one. Once you get your luggage you simply exit out the main doors, cross the first road, and you catch the ATVO on the center waiting area. You need to purchase your ticket before boarding and this can be a love/hate thing. They have an automatic ticket machine near where you board the bus, but the last time we were in Venice the machine was broken. So I had to leave DW, go back in the terminal (the same door you exit) and wait in line at the kiosk to buy the bus tickets.

But once on the bus you can sit back, relax, and enjoy the view. As you near Venice you will actually drive right by the port (on your right side). I should add that every time we have used the bus, the driver was very helpful in loading and unloading luggage.

They do have a web site where you can pre-purchase tickets (we have never done this) and the link is:

http://www.atvo.it/en-venice-airport.html. If you purchase online the price is only 7€ (for 2 or more tickets). The price might be a little higher (perhaps 1 Euro) if you buy the tickets at the airport.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Yep :) We regularly use the ATVO and have previously posted info on this site. For getting to the P. Roma it is the perfect option. You get a very nice Coach style bus, unlimited luggage storage underneath, frequent service (at least every half hour) and it is very comfy. During most of the day they leave the airport on the hour, 20 past and 40 past. So if you just miss a bus, you only have to wait a few minutes for the next one. Once you get your luggage you simply exit out the main doors, cross the first road, and you catch the ATVO on the center waiting area. You need to purchase your ticket before boarding and this can be a love/hate thing. They have an automatic ticket machine near where you board the bus, but the last time we were in Venice the machine was broken. So I had to leave DW, go back in the terminal (the same door you exit) and wait in line at the kiosk to buy the bus tickets.

But once on the bus you can sit back, relax, and enjoy the view. As you near Venice you will actually drive right by the port (on your right side). I should add that every time we have used the bus, the driver was very helpful in loading and unloading luggage.

They do have a web site where you can pre-purchase tickets (we have never done this) and the link is:

http://www.atvo.it/en-venice-airport.html. If you purchase online the price is only 7€ (for 2 or more tickets). The price might be a little higher (perhaps 1 Euro) if you buy the tickets at the airport.

Hank

Absolutely great and detailed information Hank! Thank you. Just what we needed and more. We could always count on you.

From other posts, we know that we'll have to take the People Mover from Piazzale Roma to the cruise port. How far is the walk from Piazzale Roma to the People Mover? (2 rolling luggages :))

Absolutely great and detailed information Hank! Thank you. Just what we needed and more. We could always count on you.

From other posts, we know that we'll have to take the People Mover from Piazzale Roma to the cruise port. How far is the walk from Piazzale Roma to the People Mover? (2 rolling luggages :))

I would estimate the walk from the ATVO bus to the People Mover at about 120 yards (give or take). It really is not far, and is totally paved and flat (no problem rolling luggage). You may not spot it as you exit the bus...so you could save walking in circles by asking somebody to point you in the write direction (it is on the port side of the P. Roma). Also keep in mind that once you exit the People Mover, at the port, it is a pretty long walk to get to the usual luggage drop area and check-in terminal. Sometimes there will be a shuttle near the People Mover station...and other times you are on your own. But again, as long as you are mobile and can roll your luggage...it will be fine since everything is flat and paved.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner