What customer service do you expect from your TA or PCC?

ISLABONITA

I just basically fired my TA and sought out another TA from the same agency that I had booked 2 previous cruises and still have 2 future cruises.

Seems like emails went unanswered for days, phone call messages unanswered etc.. and only with repeated attempts would I get a reply .

Once I ended up just calling customer service to get an answer to my question which the agent quickly did.

I felt like once I had made a booking she never found me to be a priority. Never sent messages of any kind.

She agreed that maybe I needed someone else to respond to my emails in a more timely manner and offered to get me someone else to which I declined and told her I had reached out to another agent from the same company.

So what do you expect from your TA or PCC?

A good travel agent will respond to your emails almost immediately and also make sure you receive the best perks available for the cruise.

My TA usually gets great on board credit for us, in addition to savings on the cruise price.

Jonathan

I had exactly the same problem with a large online broker. Had questions, called, emailed for answers, went on deaf ears. Finally, I got an answer in the form of an internal "thread" between agents. When becoming forceful in requiring an answer, the message was sent to another agent, telling her to answer my questions, because I had sent her a "nasty" email. I immediately got a hold of the company president and forwarded the email to him and told him in no uncertain words what I thought of his company and customer service. To be honest he didn't even care, because others who take that kind of customer service as the norm. At this point, I am using a specific broker because just before Christmas, last year, they had a no deposit promotion going on, and I wanted to book a certain cruise, and it saved me money to actually pay my deposit later on. But, I was assigned a specific "agent', but I never call her, I just call the 800 number and talk to anyone there. I call with questions or updates, when its convenient for me, not them

I expect my TA to respond to me or if she is out of town (which she sometimes is) I expect her to e-mail me and then if it is something that needs to be addressed now she has an assistant who can help me. She also gets me a good price and looks out for me if there are any upgrades, price drops etc.

A good travel agent will respond to your emails almost immediately and also make sure you receive the best perks available for the cruise.

My TA usually gets great on board credit for us, in addition to savings on the cruise price.

Jonathan

Oh the price and perks are terrific! but it is after I book that I am now a non entity and no response unless I pursue it several emails or phone calls.

Edited by ISLABONITA

I expect my TA to respond to me or if she is out of town (which she sometimes is) I expect her to e-mail me and then if it is something that needs to be addressed now she has an assistant who can help me. She also gets me a good price and looks out for me if there are any upgrades, price drops etc.

THIS but how does a TA do it with hundreds of clients?

Edited by ISLABONITA

I must ask, Islabonita, why are you still using the same Agency even though it with a different agent? If satisfactory customer service for one agent within a firm is poor, why would a different agent with the same company be expected to be any better?

My TA continually surprises me with what she does for me. She is always quite responsive to phone calls and e-mails. If not in the office, I have the option of contacting someone else in the agency. If out of the office for a period of time, a Sales Support person will contact me and fulfill my requests and answer my questions. I expect new cruise brochures that are available to be mailed to me, which she does by Priority Mail, incidentally. For my next two cruises, she has arranged for my shareholder onboard credit to be applied to each of my accounts. And, for my next cruise, she completed the online registration for me and printed and mailed my documents, including two luggage tags from her agency.

Now, if I could only get her to come and help me pack!

Edited by rkacruiser

I must ask, Islabonita, why are you still using the same Agency even though it with a different agent? If satisfactory customer service for one agent within a firm is poor, why would a different agent with the same company be expected to be any better?

My TA continually surprises me with what she does for me. She is always quite responsive to phone calls and e-mails. If not in the office, I have the option of contacting someone else in the agency. If out of the office for a period of time, a Sales Support person will contact me and fulfill my requests and answer my questions. I expect new cruise brochures that are available to be mailed to me, which she does by Priority Mail, incidentally. For my next two cruises, she has arranged for my shareholder onboard credit to be applied to each of my accounts. And, for my next cruise, she completed the online registration for me and printed and mailed my documents, including two luggage tags from her agency.

Now, if I could only get her to come and help me pack!

Only time will tell.. it is very hard to just pick up and leave and the cruise bookings I have done with this agency have had perks and OBC that none could match, prices and cabin upgrades included.. it is just after booking poof the TA is no longer as available as I want her to be. Would love to know who you are working with but of course that is a no-no here so I continue with what I know. Great prices and perks.

Only time will tell.. it is very hard to just pick up and leave and the cruise bookings I have done with this agency have had perks and OBC that none could match, prices and cabin upgrades included.. it is just after booking poof the TA is no longer as available as I want her to be. Would love to know who you are working with but of course that is a no-no here so I continue with what I know. Great prices and perks.

To me it sounds like you are trading the level of service that you want to get the perks and prices you want. IME it is very difficult to get loads of service AND loads of freebies. JMHO of course.

I expect my TA to respond promptly (within one working day) to my concerns all the time (in fact, I recently changed TAs because of this). Some perks are nice too but a quick response to my enqueries is the most important.

Whether using a TA or a PCC, I expect to have responses to emails or phone calls in a timely manner, not having to call or email repeatedly in the hope that someone will finally respond. A few weeks ago I had a question for my PCC in an email and received an auto-response saying he was away from the office for a few days, but if it was an emergency to call and speak to a colleague. I didn't think any more about it (it certainly wasn't an emergency), but later that day I received a phone call. My PCC was on his way out of state to pick up his child from college and made the time to call me en route. Now THAT's service!

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I use our community brick and mortar TA. Because they are small, only 2 fulltime agents, they do not provide OBC. However, our agent will respond in a timely manner to any emails I send. If something is urgent I can be at the agency in 10 minutes. Both agents are helpful and professional. I also appreciate that they will check out any price drops and actually hope we can get a good deal.

If they ever close, I will just book directly with RC.

I have never had the need to contact a TA after booking, so I really expect nothing from them, other than to make sure the CC is run on time for the final payment. It is much easier to get questions answered instantly on my own than dealing with someone else to look up the answer that I can just as easily find myself.

I think its getting to the point of booking travel, its easiest for everyone just to book on any advertiser that is blinking on the top of the screen, without comparing perks. I would say the majority of people just book, pay and go, without monitoring any price changes, perks, or verify their travel plans.

I am a high maintenance cruiser. When I book, I ask that person upfront, can you do this, this, this. Are you available...when...do you return calls in a timely manner. Of course they answer yes, to all. So after I book, a few days later I make a call and email. See how they respond. Depending on the answer, I say to them is my booking important to you? Then this is what we are going to do. I will not take no for an answer.

Actually, just the other day, my cruise line has a special sale going on (don't they all!), I had been checking the price, it dropped a little, so I called and asked about an adjustment. TA returns, telling me cruise line telling her that the price DIDN'T drop and advised me to stay where I was. OK, moving on. Then I checked again, it dropped more, so I called again. Of course I am reading the fine print, new bookings only, but I thought I would take a chance anyway. I told the TA my situation, booked with OBC, but the price drop was more than double that, and I would be willing to loose that credit for the reduction. OK, she puts me on hold, comes back and tells me they DID the adjustment WOW, along with saving over $300 on the bottom line, we got pre paid grats..thats over 200. So that's over 500 savings. I am still doing the "happy dance"

THIS but how does a TA do it with hundreds of clients?

My TA is the manager of a very large cruise agency that is both brick/mortar and internet. He does have his own clients, particularly those who favor certain premium/luxury lines. His clients are seasoned cruisers who need no handholding but do want best deals, immediate response (phone/email) and problems fixed "right now" (understanding that not all problems are fixable but an immediate attempt is the rule).

BTW - OP: you can't compare a TA with a PCC. TA works for you. PCC works for a cruise line- vast difference!!!

I have never had the need to contact a TA after booking, so I really expect nothing from them, other than to make sure the CC is run on time for the final payment. It is much easier to get questions answered instantly on my own than dealing with someone else to look up the answer that I can just as easily find myself.

I have done that just recently with NCL Jewel new itineraries, I had emailed her asking if she had any info on itineraries or pricing.. my email went unanswered.

I found the brochure for the new 2017-2018 on the NCL AU. site that someone had posted on the Australian thread.

That's when I emailed her I didn't need her help any longer.

Most of the times I would ask for information on a new booking.

Or I would call her to use a new credit card for another payment on the cruise.

I just received an email from a TA I just contacted and below their name it stated: How am I doing? Let my manager know.. and there was contact information.. I thought that was great!

I have taken the advice from one of the posts and looking to a new agency for my new booking.

Unfortunately I cannot just up and leave my present bookings and lose $$$.

I am always curious about "perks" cruisers out of the U.S. get. Here in Canada we don't get all those OBC from travel agents! Sometimes they make it sound like they give $50 or $75 in OBC, but, then find out that it's an NCL perk.

As for our ta getting back to us in a timely manner, this is a matter of opinion. What is timely? Getting back to me in a day or two doesn't seem very timely to me in this day and age. Am I being unreasonable? I just figure if I'm contacting them during regular business hours, they should respond within 3 to 5 hours. At least let me know you've received my inquiry... ?

i am always curious about "perks" cruisers out of the u.s. Get. Here in canada we don't get all those obc from travel agents! Sometimes they make it sound like they give $50 or $75 in obc, but, then find out that it's an ncl perk.

As for our ta getting back to us in a timely manner, this is a matter of opinion. What is timely? Getting back to me in a day or two doesn't seem very timely to me in this day and age. Am i being unreasonable? I just figure if i'm contacting them during regular business hours, they should respond within 3 to 5 hours at least let me know you've received my inquiry... ?

Exactly!

Edited by ISLABONITA

I am always curious about "perks" cruisers out of the U.S. get. Here in Canada we don't get all those OBC from travel agents! Sometimes they make it sound like they give $50 or $75 in OBC, but, then find out that it's an NCL perk.

As for our ta getting back to us in a timely manner, this is a matter of opinion. What is timely? Getting back to me in a day or two doesn't seem very timely to me in this day and age. Am I being unreasonable? I just figure if I'm contacting them during regular business hours, they should respond within 3 to 5 hours. At least let me know you've received my inquiry... ?

First, one has to put things in perspective.

Surely, OBC from a TA (beyond what is provided by the cruise line to all customers [as a rule, or in a sale et al.]) is an important consideration. Add to that any preferred "top producer" relationship they may have with your preferred line, which translates to fixing problems quickly or getting unadvertised price matches, etc. HOWEVER, be realistic. Added TA OBC does depend on that cabin cost. When you read $500 or $1000 in added TA OBC, we're usually talking about a five figure total cruise cost (I.e., 7-10% of the commissionable cruise charges).

As for TA responsiveness, once again: perspective. As I mentioned in an above post, our guy is an agency manager with his own clients (frequenting a small selection of premium/luxury lines). His client list is a known and manageable realm consisting of folks who are not just "window shoppers" and who don't need handholding. His staff, on the other hand, fields many more inquiries and face additional challenges. So, while I agree with the OP that 3-5 hrs for a TACresponse during regular work hours may be reasonable, I'm generally used to a range of "almost immediately" to under an hour (of course, it's a bit longer if it's not an emergency or he is not at work - I have his cell # if needed).

BTW, it took a lot of research to identify our preferred TA and we do sometimes challenge him with news of other deals we've found or Have been offered. He shines when it comes to matching/beating a deal. But balancing that is the reality that we also do a lot of research into what exactly we need/want from cruising and don't bombard him with tyro questions.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

If you have an urgent question then ring them. Email is not infallible and should not be used except for a general non urgent query.

I personally would not expect a response to email within 3 - 5 hours, 24 to 48 would be sufficient.

I would also never expect a TA to be responding to emails if they are 'out of town'. Chances are they are on holiday, or on a training course, or something like that, hence why you should call if it's urgent and someone else in the office can take the call.

If everyone expected an email back in under 5 hours then the TA would not have enough time to do any actual work.

I think it would help if you shared what types of questions you are asking. Perhaps they are "too much"

I will answer you but that is not the intent of this thread.. I looked back on several emails . Here is an example:

Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2015 10:35 AM

Hi Toni , any chance of upgrade or upsell to a balcony?

Ans: Tue, Mar 31, 2015 4:39 pm

The least expensive balcony currently is a category B3......

Edited by ISLABONITA

I will answer you but that is not the intent of this thread.. I looked back on several emails . Here is an example:

Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2015 10:35 AM

Hi Toni , any chance of upgrade or upsell to a balcony?

Ans: Tue, Mar 31, 2015 4:39 pm

The least expensive balcony currently is a category B3......

Based on your signature line you have two pending cruises, one 150 days in the future and one over 200 days in the future. Are you even in the final payment window for these cruises? I would not expect upsells or upgrades till much closer to the cruise.

Based on your signature line you have two pending cruises, one 150 days in the future and one over 200 days in the future. Are you even in the final payment window for these cruises? I would not expect upsells or upgrades till much closer to the cruise.

That question I sent was last year and it was for the June 5th cruise to Norway.

Edited by ISLABONITA