Live review with pics, HAL Nieuw Amsterdam 6/11 Vancouver

cl.klink

Following along with you! Thank you for taking the time to post the great pictures and telling us about your time on the NA. We are behind you but not until September! Cannot wait!!!!!

Gotta ask...did your lost/missing passport turn up???

Following along with you! Thank you for taking the time to post the great pictures and telling us about your time on the NA. We are behind you but not until September! Cannot wait!!!!!

Gotta ask...did your lost/missing passport turn up???

Passport never resurfaced, no. Darnedest thing.

- Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRUISE DAY 4

Skagway. Tuesday 6/12

This is the first port I've come to, in 5 cruises, where I just arrived in a port with nothing already paid for / planned. Sauntered off ship and found a tour among the many being peddled. I know from CC that lots of folks do this and arrange for tours once in ports in this way, and I know that this can be done, but had always made me nervous. Worked fine though.

Walked through this tiny town that was once a legendary port of entry for the Yukon gold rush in turn of 20th century. It's streets were the second place in US to have electric lights (behind New York). President Harding came here as a sitting president (but died in San Francisco 9 days later).

Very small though charming town, but tons of jewelry stores for tourists. In off season, under 700 people live here. Since it was flag day attended the local parade and got a tiny US flag to wave. Very cool.

Took a van tour that drove us up white pass into BC all the way to the Yukon. Alpine lakes, glacier sculpted valleys. A bit of rain and clouds cleared to sunny and warm weather by mid afternoon. Saw bears in the wild, and I have to say this was kinda thrilling. The bear was out just being a bear. This van tour sees all the scenery (and much more) than the popular train ride though this pass, plus it's a climate controlled small van and can stop and top as please, get out for photos, and have a guide can talk to, all for ~$65

Back on ship enjoyed relaxing in sunshine on veranda. 4 ships in port - Crown and Star Princess, Solstice, us. Got a time lapse video of Solstice putting out to sea that was really cool. Evening entertainment was a song and dance group who were very good. Early wake up in AM to catch all of Glacier Bay National Park

These people getting off in Skagway are doing a land sea combo. They go from here up the Yukon to Fairbanks and then Denali. The passengers that are doing this are being replaced by others who've been on a land tour and sail with us the rest of the week.

3bb3664aee0c001467e791cdee7b9d93.jpg

Great pictures!

Questions -

1) Did they provide boots on the glacier trip? Hubby thought everyone had the same boots on!

2) Did you adopt a dog? [emoji4]

Fun trip!!!

Yes, the give boots hat wrap over what you are wearing. Works surprisingly well.

The dog was the drivers. He stopped by his house and brought it along (we all said ok). We all bonded!

- Joel

CRUISE DAY 5

Glacier Bay National Park

It's called Glacier Bay now more because it is a bay carved by glaciers than because of glaciers you can see now, though there are some to see. Most are not tidewater glaciers (up against the water) and only one, Margerie, is actively calving enough to have a good chance to see it. It's 65 miles to the back of the bay until you get there. Saw some calving there which was nice to see. The real attraction is just the whole place. Placid beautiful water up against hills and mountains all around. It was partly sunny most of the day so had excellent weather. Many people out on deck most of the time.

The history of the region is interesting, geologically if not culturally. Glaciation had accelerated up until the year 1750 so much that the opening of the current bay did not even exist, and the Tlingit people had to scramble for where to live. It's been retreating ever since and the result is the carved out valleys of water.

2dd6348dc9ba68c986312000cb3c489a.jpg

Spent almost the whole day sailing this bay, going in and out of an additional inlet to see the Johns Hopkins glacier. Park ranger and others came on board. Ranger added narration much of the day. Lectures in afternoon included a Tlingit native who taught about her culture. Out to open sea by 4:30 or so, where saw 100s of whale spouts sailing along over the course of several hours before (and during) dinner.

At 5:00 pm every day they have a wine tasting and appetizer for $4 so took that in today. A nice Pinot Grigio and salmon cake.

This was last gala night. Many mean wore open collar shirts and no ties. Most wore jacket and tie. Very few tuxes. We are late seating and I noted that the early seating had a lot more tuxes.

Again enjoyed a nice night at our table for 8. We never had a replacement for the couple who had been with us but who left to do the land tour starting in Skagway. So, it's been the 4 of us and a couple from Connecticut. Very nice people and we've had a really nice time together. I love how on a cruise you get to meet new people and make friends.

Saw the Jesse Owens movie in the movie theater, was very good. Again this is a very luxurious way to watch a movie, with huge reclining seats, unlimited popcorn. I always thought it a bit silly to watch a movie while on a cruise, since you could do that anytime at home. But the extras make it kinda special, and so I have liked doing it this time.

Tomorrow is last port, Ketchikan.

The stages of a glacier. The mountains feeding it in background. The glacier is flowing into view and ends before the shore. Fresh water draining from it has silt and looks greenish, discoloring the dark blue salt water as it enters the bay

9b09584138bb8a57e1b49009a8ff0a3d.jpg

CRUISE DAY 6, Thursday June 16

Ketchikan

This cruise is the first time I've done a cruise to an area I've been to before, visiting ports I've been to before. I worried, some, about this. But I've liked it. What I lost was the feeling of diving into a new place. But what I gained was that I knew more about how to take advantage of each place, what not to waste time on, etc. Also, it felt like seeing an old friend. I thought about this a lot in Ketchikan, because whereas it's our last port stop on this cruise, it was our first stop in our Alaska cruise last year, and the memories came flooding back as we walked around. It was nice to see our old friend again.

Ketchikan is the 4th largest city in Alaska, but population is under 15,000, so it's small, and has a quaintness about it. The downtown abuts the pier and is easily walkable to see many shops, restaurants, which though often are very touristy some a few blocks away are just local places. Though they get a lot of rain (last year >200 inches), we again had good weather, rare rain, some sun, though cool most of day (it's 99 F at home so I'm happy to be cool right now). Took another excursion that we arranged for after we left ship and wandered the pier (boy I'm getting bold). The pier's visitor welcome center had two rows of desks where each company is offering tours, all day long. Lots to choose from. Could do boats or sea planes or zip lines. But, our big splurge was done in Juneau. So, we did a van tour to see "wildlife" and totems. Saw dozens of bald eagles and some seals else no other wildlife. The totems were fine and interesting. I'd have been able to do the same tour easily with a rental car and may do that if there is a next time here. Good halibut fish and chips with an Alaskan beer in pier side restaurant that had free wifi.

We had to tender in this port, after the Celebrity Infinity escapade with pier 3 a few weeks ago (they were repairing it while we were there). Did not pose a huge delay relative to docking directly; it was 30 min or so till we could first get off ship, and the boat took 5 min to reach pier.

We ate at the Pinnacle Grill for their Le Cirque dinner tonight. Very excellent food and service, and felt special and relaxed. A nice change of pace from MDR. That said, I've been happy with MDR and do not need to find an alternative to it again. I think a specialty restaurant is nice to do once or so on a cruise just to break up the routine a bit.

The show tonight was a Broadway style show with same singers and dancers from the other night. Hard to follow much of a plot but the singing and music and set changing were impressive and I came away deciding that the performers were just very good at something but I was not quite sure what it was they had been very good at. I must be very old, or they very young (maybe both) as I noted that they jumped and tumbled and sang, breathlessly.

We lose an hour tonight, then sea day tomorrow before arriving in Vancouver for disembarkation. With that, and our last port behind us, I face the inevitable close to the cruise. I really love being in a cruise. In the past, the idea of ending and leaving made me sad and depressed, especially with cruises I had arranyears for, and put so much into planning and awaiting. Not so much this time. I am not having the post cruise blues setting in yet. Now that I've done a few cruises, and in particular this same one before, I think I'm learning better how to enjoy this cruise thing as it happens, enjoy the moments offered, and not make it a never to come again life event that I'll miss and pine away after once it's over. I am not sure what I've done right, but I sure hope I can keep it up. I think that traveling with another couples is part of it. Not sure.

Cool towel animal tonight (have had then all cruise long).

Tomorrow a relaxing day at sea. Gonna sleep in.

I just recorded the Nieuw Amsterdam as she passed by 3 of the Orca Cams in the Inside Passage, South Bound to Vancouver:)

You can see the recording at the link under this Snap Shot below. I did speed it up a bit and sharpened the video so the details are better.

Here is one snap shot I grabbed from the recording:

Nieuw_Amsterdam_Inside_Passage_South-Bound_2016-06-17_751pm_PST.jpg.f672572d0c802443bfa969952ec5490f.jpg

Link to the video:

IF you want the original 15+minutes let me know and I can upload it for you.

Joanie

I just recorded the Nieuw Amsterdam as she passed by 3 of the Orca Cams in the Inside Passage, South Bound to Vancouver:)

You can see the recording at the link under this Snap Shot below. I did speed it up a bit and sharpened the video so the details are better.

Here is one snap shot I grabbed from the recording:

[ATTACH]388193[/ATTACH]

Link to the video:

IF you want the original 15+minutes let me know and I can upload it for you.

Joanie

If I'd known you were posting I'd have combed my hair and posed!

- Joel

CRUISE DAY 7, Friday June 17

At sea

Last full day.

Slept in.

Good breakfast again in Lido buffet. When room steward made up our bed, he put the plastic smock out on top of bed for bags to be placed on it for packing. I began to sort out my stuff and readied myself for packing, though as a one-bagger this did not take much time. Threw away a lot of loose papers I won't take back. I've been saving stuff that I'll use to make a frame-able collage to remember the trip by (I've done this on previous trips and hang it in hallway at home;

nice way to keep reliving the trips we've been on this way).

For lunch, salmon bake on top deck. Took in a cooking class showing a halibut in a Chardonnay cream sauce. Then, joined DW briefly for last part of art auction. After that, wine tasting with 5 whites, 5 reds, unlimited glasses, for an hour. Out on our balcony for sunny and pleasantly warm to slightly cool weather. Saw a school of dolphins.

Went to excursion desk and booked an excursion for Vancouver after which they'll drop us at airport. Else would have had 6 hours in airport.

I checked and I still have both passports.

My cousin and her husband were first timers and had a good time. We're starting to plan next cruise, maybe a one week Med cruise, they say, for late 2017. It's been great traveling with them.

Thanks again for posting.

Those fish and chips looked amazing! Love the tempura style! Where did you get these? Will have to make a note to be sure and try!

The wine tasting looked fun! Is there a charge for the event? Do you have to sign up in advance??

Appreciate your taking the time to answer our questions!

Save travels back home! SOOOOO curious if your passport will turn up!!!