Chargers

snoozy8

Info needed chargers are they non surge or surge protected . Different answers when I google. Live in the UK any one here who has been cruising might be able to help

Byee

Chargers for what?

Surge protectors are not allowed on the ships, so you need to bring non surge protected power strips. The ships all have both European and US style power outlets. It is up to you to being a power strip, and any chargers that you might need.

thanks for the info I will be charging , ipad Phone, and a small camera, all 240volt, live in England, looked in maplin have a uk to a us adapter with 2 sockets and 2 usb adapters, thinking this may be ok

Definately bring a simple power strip - not surge protector. You'll be able to charge all your toys/gadgets at one time, probably overnight which is what I always do.

Which ship are you sailing?

Recently I've sailed on ships that two US outlets or one US & one Euro outlet or one US & one UK outlet.

Check the output of the double USB port. Some cannot handle two items.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A backup battery for your electronics would also be useful. These will have a charging port for the battery and one or more ports for your electronics. Small ones have appeared at dollar stores (so a Poundland type store in the UK) and there are larger ones.

Besides offering a backup if you run out of power during the day, these batteries also "filter" the power through the battery, offering some surge protection. In a pinch, you can likely use the battery to power your camera as well as your phone and tablet.

Definately bring a simple power strip - not surge protector. You'll be able to charge all your toys/gadgets at one time, probably overnight which is what I always do.

Yes, over night is best. If you leave something plugged in to charge and leave the cabin and steward see's it he/she will unplug it. Then you may end up with a dead battery when you need it.

Bob

thanks for the info I will be charging , ipad Phone, and a small camera, all 240volt, live in England, looked in maplin have a uk to a us adapter with 2 sockets and 2 usb adapters, thinking this may be ok

All your items will be dual voltage so using 110v US socket will be fine.

The adapter you describe above will be fine. Also note that there is usually a 220v european socket under one side of the bed if you have a UK to EUR adapter as well.

Edited by SwissDave

Yes, over night is best. If you leave something plugged in to charge and leave the cabin and steward see's it he/she will unplug it. Then you may end up with a dead battery when you need it.

Bob

My steward has never unplugged anything in 21 cruises.

While I am coming around to recommending any USB type charger that has only a two prong plug (not sure how this works in UK, I lived there long before the electronic revolution) despite the claims that they are surge protected, because I think they are misusing that term to mean over voltage protected. However, typically most combination USB and power outlet (sockets) devices, especially those with a 3-prong plug will be surge protected, and therefore a simple, cheap non-surge protected power strip, and a multi-port USB charger without power outlets would be best.

A backup battery for your electronics would also be useful. These will have a charging port for the battery and one or more ports for your electronics. Small ones have appeared at dollar stores (so a Poundland type store in the UK) and there are larger ones.

Besides offering a backup if you run out of power during the day, these batteries also "filter" the power through the battery, offering some surge protection. In a pinch, you can likely use the battery to power your camera as well as your phone and tablet.

Not sure how the filter circuit on a portable power supply (what you call a backup battery) provides surge protection. It will filter out voltage spikes, and shut off when the output voltage goes too high, but this is not surge protection. Surge protection takes large voltage spikes (typically 300v for a 110v device) and dumps it to ground. The semi-conductors that do this are what cause the dangers of using surge protectors onboard ships. You will not find voltage spikes like you do ashore onboard ships, so surge protectors are not required. None of the shipboard electronics, including the navigational equipment and the automation for the engine room to keep the lights running have surge protection, nor does the main computer server onboard.

All your items will be dual voltage so using 110v US socket will be fine.

In all likelihood this is correct. But it won't hurt to look on each adapter to verify the input voltage range. We have one old device that is 110 only.

One thing I've found on ships is that there often isn't much space around the electrical socket. Anything the least bit bulky can be really difficult to plug in, including the plug on the hair dryer supplied by the ship!

Neither had mine.

Hmm, maybe this us why my friends call me Lucky Louie. :D Camera batteries, cell phone, etc. was not using a suspect extention cord that may have been one with a surge protector.

Different ships, different times.

Bob