Cabin vibration near engine room?

vrcruiser

We are heading off on our first river cruise in August on Avalon Visionary & have just realised that our cabin 224 is only 1 cabin away from the engine room. Could anyone tell me if we are likely to experience vibrations/noise?? Wouldn't bother my hubby but I have found on ocean cruising that I am quite sensitive to vibrations & I really would prefer to avoid something that might spoil the trip!

Thanks

Viv

Howdt vrcruiser,

All I can say from our experience on the Scenic Jasper last September, is that we were on the Diamond Deck and all the way in the very back of the ship in a Royal Panorama Suite and very little vibration from the engines as those suites are mounted on rubber bumpers on all four corners that isolate vibration to very minimal. No problems in sleeping at all..

LoneStarCruisinCouple

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

The engine in Avalon Ships is minimal. Our first cruise was on an older ship and except when the engines were in 'reverse' we never heard it. As the Visionary is a new ship you won't notice it.

I'm also on the Visionary in August.

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

My husband is set on us doing our first time river cruise next year and looking at the Scenic Jasper, Budapest to Amsterdam departing May 31st 2017 I am not so keen for a variety of reasons but that is just me.

The only cabin available is a Royal Balcony Suite (304) that the Scenic representative told me is above or adjacent to the engine room. She said that some people complain of noise and vibration.

I am the lightest sleeper on the planet after being on call for A & E for a couple of decades. This noise factor possibility is really putting me off. I know someone on this forum said the noise was not a problem because they were at the back of the ship but being adjacent puts a whole new perspective on things. My husband is a very heavy sleeper so this does not bother him.

Any feedback from someone who has been a bit closer to the engine room?

Thanks so much.

My husband is set on us doing our first time river cruise next year and looking at the Scenic Jasper, Budapest to Amsterdam departing May 31st 2017 I am not so keen for a variety of reasons but that is just me.

The only cabin available is a Royal Balcony Suite (304) that the Scenic representative told me is above or adjacent to the engine room. She said that some people complain of noise and vibration.

I am the lightest sleeper on the planet after being on call for A & E for a couple of decades. This noise factor possibility is really putting me off. I know someone on this forum said the noise was not a problem because they were at the back of the ship but being adjacent puts a whole new perspective on things. My husband is a very heavy sleeper so this does not bother him.

Thanks so much.

If the Scenic representative says people have complained, I would take that very seriously. Not to knock Scenic at all, but most of us expect "spin" rather than candor in such circumstances -- so kudos to them for admitting the problem, but then take it very seriously. There are other cruise lines, and Scenic must have other dates. Have you looked at APT?

If the Scenic representative says people have complained, I would take that very seriously. Not to knock Scenic at all, but most of us expect "spin" rather than candor in such circumstances -- so kudos to them for admitting the problem, but then take it very seriously. There are other cruise lines, and Scenic must have other dates. Have you looked at APT?

Thanks for the reply. The reason we are looking at Scenic is because we have some friends on the same cruise and they asked my husband if we wanted to join them.

I was also very surprised when the lady from Scenic mentioned the noise issue. I just think 15 days is a long time to go without sleep...

Thanks for the reply. The reason we are looking at Scenic is because we have some friends on the same cruise and they asked my husband if we wanted to join them.

I was also very surprised when the lady from Scenic mentioned the noise issue. I just think 15 days is a long time to go without sleep...

How much sailing will you be doing at night? That would be the 1st thing I would look at.

Also - not sure about the representative's description of the location. Suite 304 is the upper of the 3 passenger decks - the engine room is on the 100 level. So. you have an entire deck between you and the engine room.

In looking at the deck plans on the Scenic website, you are closer to the reception desk - and the front lounge. But, most river boats don't tend to have rowdy late-nighters on board. You may have some people using the jogging track in the early morning (ie: above your cabin) - but the CD usually asks that people do not use that at odd (or inconsiderate) hours.

I like Scenic - have traveled with them twice so far. But, to be honest, our TA has had some challenges dealing with some of their representatives. Pleasant, but not always "sharp" when it comes to answering questions about their product.

There were complaints about noise when Scenic first entered the market - but have not heard much in recent years.

Fran

Viv

Most river cruising is during the day time so passengers can enjoy the views.

Most nights you're likely to be moored.

I've not been with the copany you're considering and on most of teh trips I've done there has been some night time cruising, but I'm a very light sleeper and engine noise hasn't disturbed me when we've had a cabin close to engines.

Like you, I didn't wan't to do a cruise but went because friends wanted to -- as you can see below, I was won over.

You can be sitting at lunch with the boat moored and halfway through the main course you realise the river bank is passing you by. The boat had untied and is travelling and you've never noticed, the wine in your glass doesn't have a ripple, there's no noise and the only sense of movement is by looking out the windows.

You'll love it!!

We are heading off on our first river cruise in August on Avalon Visionary & have just realised that our cabin 224 is only 1 cabin away from the engine room. Could anyone tell me if we are likely to experience vibrations/noise?? Wouldn't bother my hubby but I have found on ocean cruising that I am quite sensitive to vibrations & I really would prefer to avoid something that might spoil the trip!

Thanks

Viv

Once and only once did we have the next to last cabin near the engine room, on Avalon Luminary. Lots of vibration and noise throughout the cruise, and more pronounced when they were navigating locks and parking positions. I would take a pass.

Thanks so much.

Take it from Canal Archives and myself as you won't have any problems in sleeping in cabin 304. You are on the Diamond Deck and towards the front part of the ship as far as cabins are concerned.

You will simply love the Jasper as she is one of the newest ships in the fleet and has excellent ratings. Just get your Butler as to bring you some very comfy pillows, you have a pillow menu to choose from and you shall have a Great and Wonderful time.

I was on the Jasper last September sailing from Amsterdam to Budapest and I was all the way in the very back of the ship in a Royal Panorama Suite and on The Diamond deck as well and really didn't have any problems at all in sleeping.

If you like I am enclosing a link to the cabins and this was on the Jasper. The pictures of The Panorama Suit was our cabin 337. Next year we are on The Sapphire and in one of the New Royal Owners Suites.

www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/2015/04/scenic-tours-jasper-day-3-sailing-the-danube/

You just need to sit back relax and enjoy what most would simply call a trip of a Lifetime.

Smooth Sailings

Lisa and Gary

LoneStarCruisinCouple

Viv

Most river cruising is during the day time so passengers can enjoy the views.

Most nights you're likely to be moored.

Actually, we have found that the itinerary often drives the sailing time. We have been on some where we cruise during the day - and others where we set sail late in the evening (and wake up moored at the next port....).

I would read the itinerary closely. It doesn't give times, but will make comments like "cruising over lunch/dinner", "arrive after lunch" etc.

Fran

Howdt vrcruiser,

All I can say from our experience on the Scenic Jasper last September, is that we were on the Diamond Deck and all the way in the very back of the ship in a Royal Panorama Suite and very little vibration from the engines as those suites are mounted on rubber bumpers on all four corners that isolate vibration to very minimal. No problems in sleeping at all..

LoneStarCruisinCouple

I'm not sure I get this. They isolate the cabins from the rest of the ship's structure big rubber mounts?

I don't remember as when the ship was being built they would post photos and this happen to catch my eye as it was the cabin that we were booked into. A Royal Panorama Suite, this next cruise we gave up our Panorama Suite when Scenic called and opted to try out and compare one of the new Royal Owners Suites that shall be initiated on three of there ships for next year. The Emerald, Diamond, and Sapphire of which we are on.