Has anyone recently had a sucessful Carnival M & G

Nic6318

Hi everyone

I have been following the "sticky :Official meet & greet on Carnival" since it was originally posted.

I have read how since inception it has been hit and miss at best. I had made a few posts (on the sticky) after our recent cruise because of (I believe) no effort made by Carnival for our cruise. Today I read another post from another disappointed cruiser. (please read some of the thread)

As I have said, I just don't understand what the problem is. I strongly feel the moderators of this site should approach Carnival and try to work something out, or just tell us just to forget it (Carnival rally wasn't being sincere) and we should go back to arranging our own parties.

I did want to know, has anyone recently had a successful M & G party arranged by. Maybe some ships have their act together and others aren't up to speed yet? Maybe there is still hope, but someone should let us know.

thanks to all

Very disappointed on the June 5th Carnival Pride sailing that there was no M&G after we had 29 people sign up. Approached the CD and he assured me there was "insufficent number". We are sailing on the Carnival Pride again on Sept 5th and I will print out the M&G roll call from Cruise Critic as we have already exceeded the required 25 participants. Concur that Carnival needs to support these. They are just creating disappointment with their current policy.

Hoping ours in July on the Magic goes well but I've been seeing in the Fun Times some people post that a lot of them are scheduled for middle of the cruise and at 5:30 when a lot of people are getting ready for early dining.

CCL really should be doing it the 1st sea day in the early afternoon

I don't know if many of you are aware of how hard the hosts in the Enertainment staff work. I've read here that alot of the complaints that Cruise Critic M&G's get is the fact that the participants expect someone from the Entertainment Staff attend and kind of run things. The staff normally have 3 hosts that work everything: Trivia, Suess Breakfast, Karoake, Bingo, Deck Games, Opening Act (opening doors & greeting guests) at all Production Shows, handing out tender tickets, hosting wedding receptions, etc. and their busiest times are sea days. I can assure you that they were never onboard with working CC M&G's.

I do agree that Carnival should never have entered into the agreement. As you can see from my signature, I use to work onboard CCL ships back in the olden days. But, until my daughter was part of the Entertainment Staff on the Glory, I had no idea how many hours they are now expected to work. She would be handing out tender tickets at 7:00 in the morning after having hosted Karaoke until midnight the night before. It was not unusual for her to work 12 hours a day two or three days in a row, and again sea days were the busiest - so probably not the best time for a M&G as far as the staff is concerned..

Having said this, I understand the disappointment when the M&G's fail - again, CCL shouldn't have agreed to do something that further taxes their employees. Providing a place for the M&G is one thing - hosting them is something else.

Hoping ours in July on the Magic goes well but I've been seeing in the Fun Times some people post that a lot of them are scheduled for middle of the cruise and at 5:30 when a lot of people are getting ready for early dining.

CCL really should be doing it the 1st sea day in the early afternoon

I've not been involved with this new setup, but it sounds weird. Who wants a M&G midway into a cruise and at a ship chosen time?

I've seen several people report back complaining about a M&G time that takes place during dinner or real close to it, or when people are ashore. Personally I think Carnival is scheduling these at bad times so they can do away with it and then say we trie, but it wasn't successful.

I've been on 2 cruises that had M&G set up by members here prior to Carnival officially saying they would work with CC. Prior to our cruises everyone was all fired up and excited about meeting up.....members picked the locations and times and both times were poorly attended any many of the people that signed up never showed.

I think prior to the cruise it is fun to share the excitement of our upcoming vacations with others that will be sailing with us but when we actually get on the ship people start having fun in their own style and just don't feel the need for getting together to have fun.

Many people that are members here are/were quite vocal about what they expected/hoped Carnival would do and frequently comparing them to other cruise lines and saying how much better other lines treated so Carnival caved in and did offer what they could. I am done with organized M&G on board, have always met many people on my own and never had a cruise be less fun because of no organized gathering.

Hi everyone

What I am getting at is that this isn't rocket science. I don't even think Carnival should make a special effort, but what they are doing is irritating and rude.

This is something they agreed to do. Not a lot of thought has to be taken to understand that a meet and greet of strangers should be held early in the cruise. The last port day (when they are still in port) just makes no sense, imagine, someone had to make that decision!! :confused:

It would take no significant effort for Carnival to say something like...We will make a venue available the first sea day (for example) at 11 a.m., every cruise, same thing. The location will be found in the Fun Times on the first night. Because we can't determine staff availability we can't ensure that there would be any officers or CD staff attending. We will make an effort to have bar staff on hand to take your drink orders. Please enjoy yourselves. Very easy, minimal commitment. That is why, I ask what is the problem?

Anyone who has been part of the meet and greets that were organized from our roll calls will agree that very often a number of people will say they will attend and don't. I have gone when nobody showed up. We understand this may happen. When people do show up we very often have a good time. The situation as it is now somewhat precludes us from organizing our own get together, just because Carnival has said they would organize it. So from my perspective when they say they will do something and don't, they are just being rude.

As I have also previously said, because Carnival's arrangement was made with Cruise Critic, I feel that they (the moderators) need to approach Carnival and sort things out. Other cc members who have reached out to Carnival or their reps. have gotten no response. Otherwise what is the purpose of the sticky, we might as well go back to the way we did it before. (or is that what Carnival is trying to avoid?)

I just don't understand

thanks for listening

We had a M&G on the Carnival Splendor Journeys cruise (5/26/16) and it was great. We had snacks and free drinks for an hour. Lemonade and water was provided too. No entertainment but everyone just sat around and talked. :)

After 8 Carnival cruise I seen a steady decline in the product they bring to the Marketplace. I am booked on the Vista for next January simply because a large group are all booked on this ship. I am hoping for a reversal of this trend as I really enjoy their company. We recently sailed on the NCL Escape and attended a CC meet and great and have say it was Fantastic . It was attended by several key staff members that made to brief to the point presentations and were available to answer questions as they mingled with the 80 + attendees. Too bad Carnival can't do the same

I sailed on Sat, 4/9/16 and our M&G was on the 10th, a sea day and also a formal night at 5:00. I almost missed the listing in the Fun Times because at 5:00 I am starting to get ready for my 6:00 dinner (there are 3 of use in the cabin). None of my friends wanted to leave the Lido deck to get ready for dinner early so I was the only one that went to our M&G. We had pastries and water and Lemonade, I don't remember any other drinks.

There was probably only 15 cruiser and 4/5 crew members and all we did was stand around and talk and then got our picture taken. (I did get a free copy of the picture.)

I have read previously that a few of the M&G were scheduled for 6:30, during the early Dinner which makes no sense. I really think a M&G around 11am on a sea day would be much better. I can't really see myself doing another one unless the timing better.

We recently (valor 6/4, 8 night) had 133 people signed up and it was never organized. The ship (after conversation with hotel director, cruise director etc) were NEVER notified of it. I wrote and email AND letter to cruise critic and they have not responded or acknowledged my request for information?? I am not convinced the issue is all with Carnival.

We had a M&G on the Carnival Splendor Journeys cruise (5/26/16) and it was great. We had snacks and free drinks for an hour. Lemonade and water was provided too. No entertainment but everyone just sat around and talked. :)

Curious? Was this a paid for M&G organized by your roll call , where everyone paid $22 or so for the open bar?

The reason I ask is that I have spoken at length with CCL Staff that attended the CC/Carnival organized Meet and Mingle about the poor turnout and reasons for it.

I spoke with Cr. Dir, Food and Bev Dir, Hotel Dir, Entertainment Dir, and a Guest Services rep from the Magic when our CC/CCL M&M had only 4 people show up out of 52 signed up.

All of the staff agreed that free snacks and Soft Drinks would be the only offering from CCL. When I mentioned free drinks, they all laughed and said in unison.....not gonna happen. They did however agree that they would work on getting the times changed and more prior notice of the event.

We recently (valor 6/4, 8 night) had 133 people signed up and it was never organized. The ship (after conversation with hotel director, cruise director etc) were NEVER notified of it. I wrote and email AND letter to cruise critic and they have not responded or acknowledged my request for information?? I am not convinced the issue is all with Carnival.

I too, and not faulting CCL only. My comments/emails to CC Mgr's have also gone unanswered.

We attended an "official" M&G on a ship once (was Carnival or NCL...dont recall). A bunch of Officers/Staff came out and welcomed us, opened u the floor for any questions we had and what followed can only be described as a bitch fest.

Several passengers at the M&G took it as an opportunity to whine about everything from the slow embarkation to their luggage arriving late. Not sure what it is that attracts so many entitled whiners to cruising. :mad:

I prefer a group of like minded, laid back folks gathering at a bar for some drinks and "unforced" conversation.

I posted my experience previously on the other posts but here it is for this one. We were on the 5/15 CCL Dream. There were 75 signed up on the CC sign up page. Carnival posted in the Fun Times for 5/16 that a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet was to be held in the Piano Bar at 12:00 Noon. We went at 12 Noon and there was no from Carnival there and absolutely nothing was set up for a meet and greet. There were about 10 of us that stayed and chatted for a bit. I'm sure many more saw that nothing was going on and didn't bother to go in. I thought the date and time were great. The follow through by Carnival was not. I have posted this on a couple of threads but no one from CC has responded to say why this happened. It was disappointing to say the least.

Even though the timing sucked (right before dinner on formal night) our M&G on Magic last month was very successful. We had a great turn out. The Cruise Director Dr E and a ships Officer showed up. We had cookies, juice etc for refreshments.

Hi everyone

What I am getting at is that this isn't rocket science. I don't even think Carnival should make a special effort, but what they are doing is irritating and rude.

This is something they agreed to do. Not a lot of thought has to be taken to understand that a meet and greet of strangers should be held early in the cruise. The last port day (when they are still in port) just makes no sense, imagine, someone had to make that decision!! :confused:

It would take no significant effort for Carnival to say something like...We will make a venue available the first sea day (for example) at 11 a.m., every cruise, same thing. The location will be found in the Fun Times on the first night. Because we can't determine staff availability we can't ensure that there would be any officers or CD staff attending. We will make an effort to have bar staff on hand to take your drink orders. Please enjoy yourselves. Very easy, minimal commitment. That is why, I ask what is the problem?

Anyone who has been part of the meet and greets that were organized from our roll calls will agree that very often a number of people will say they will attend and don't. I have gone when nobody showed up. We understand this may happen. When people do show up we very often have a good time. The situation as it is now somewhat precludes us from organizing our own get together, just because Carnival has said they would organize it. So from my perspective when they say they will do something and don't, they are just being rude.

As I have also previously said, because Carnival's arrangement was made with Cruise Critic, I feel that they (the moderators) need to approach Carnival and sort things out. Other cc members who have reached out to Carnival or their reps. have gotten no response. Otherwise what is the purpose of the sticky, we might as well go back to the way we did it before. (or is that what Carnival is trying to avoid?)

I just don't understand

thanks for listening

I agree with you on this - make a venue available on the first sea day at a certain time - and if a staff member is available maybe they could drop in. That doesn't seem like it would be a problem - if people show up, great - if not, oh well.

I am someone else who thinks the problem might not totally lie with CCL. I've never seen them turn down a chance to make $$ even if it was just 20 people ordering one drink, and the powers that be have never hesitated to require staff members to be somewhere. I'm thinking that low turn-out may be part of the problem - and it sounds like Cruise Critic isn't really getting involved.

Not sure if this counts as "recently," but we were on the Breeze over Christmas week (2015) and the cruise director (Wee Jimmy) came to the M&G and brought some prizes/giveaways (ships on a stick and things like that). It was a large group and had been very well organized here on CC -- there were raffle prizes for every person that attended, an optional gift exchange, etc. No food or beverages were provided. It was held on the morning of the first sea day in the atrium lobby, although I can't remember now whether it was listed in the Fun Times or not.

It was a great event and it was wonderful to put faces to CC members.

I will say though that RCI does a much better job with Meet & Mingles -- someone from the entertainment staff always is there, there are sometimes (usually?) beverages and hors d'oeuvres provided by RCI, everyone gets an RC lanyard/note pad, there's a raffle with some pretty good prizes (bottles of champagne, etc.).

Until the M&G mess (and that's what it is) gets cleared up on all Carnival ships, my recommendation on the Roll Call will be to hold the M&G on arrival day at a location we all agree to about an hour and a half before sailing time. As for drinks, that's not a problem because there will be Carnival people all over the ship selling them. If the Cruise Director wants to attend, that's OK too. No need to publish timing in the Fun Times because we will be writing about the M&G on the Roll Call months before it happens. I would also recommend we limit attendance to Cruise Critic members only and not to worry about that other site. Who wants to go to an M&G with 50 or more attendees who you have never communicated with before.

This will be my 20th Carnival cruise. Some of the M&G's were fantastic and I enjoyed running into the M&G cruisers all during the entire cruise. Others M&G's were no so fantastic and I will leave it at that.

my recommendation on the Roll Call will be to hold the M&G on arrival day at a location we all agree to about an hour and a half before sailing time. .

I have been to one of these every cruise Ive been on. They are ALWAYS better than the official Meet and Greets anyway.

Not sure if this counts as "recently," but we were on the Breeze over Christmas week (2015) and the cruise director (Wee Jimmy) came to the M&G and brought some prizes/giveaways (ships on a stick and things like that). It was a large group and had been very well organized here on CC -- there were raffle prizes for every person that attended, an optional gift exchange, etc. No food or beverages were provided. It was held on the morning of the first sea day in the atrium lobby, although I can't remember now whether it was listed in the Fun Times or not.

It was a great event and it was wonderful to put faces to CC members.

I will say though that RCI does a much better job with Meet & Mingles -- someone from the entertainment staff always is there, there are sometimes (usually?) beverages and hors d'oeuvres provided by RCI, everyone gets an RC lanyard/note pad, there's a raffle with some pretty good prizes (bottles of champagne, etc.).

Hi there

Alas no. Your M & G was organized by the people on your roll call, before Carnival offered to help :eek:.

Your post does point out that we have been able to manage to organize a party before without Carnival's intrusion.

Your post also points out that other cruise lines have been doing this (as some have said very well) for some time. So I imagine it can't be that hard if they have any imagination and motivation. They could even call up one of their sister companies for direction.

As Richfret suggests, I tend to agree that we should just continue to arrange our own M & G's through our roll calls. However I do not think that we should just leave this issue hanging and have it finally acknowledged that Carnival cannot/will not be able to fulfill their offer and we should continue as we had in the past, or they have a plan that they are working on that would be fair to us.

Also I was not aware that others have tried to directly communicate with the CC moderators on this matter. Again, it seems unusual that even they wont let us know their position on this situation.

have a great day

Hi there

Alas no. Your M & G was organized by the people on your roll call, before Carnival offered to help :eek:.

Your post does point out that we have been able to manage to organize a party before without Carnival's intrusion.

Your post also points out that other cruise lines have been doing this (as some have said very well) for some time. So I imagine it can't be that hard if they have any imagination and motivation. They could even call up one of their sister companies for direction.

As Richfret suggests, I tend to agree that we should just continue to arrange our own M & G's through our roll calls. However I do not think that we should just leave this issue hanging and have it finally acknowledged that Carnival cannot/will not be able to fulfill their offer and we should continue as we had in the past, or they have a plan that they are working on that would be fair to us.

Also I was not aware that others have tried to directly communicate with the CC moderators on this matter. Again, it seems unusual that even they wont let us know their position on this situation.

have a great day

Ditto to all of the above... setup our own M&G as in the past.:)

I may even try to resurrect the Open Bar Party (OBP) on my next cruise. :) Even though the rates are higher now, still a good deal overall. :)

Not sure if Cheers is accepted at an OBP though?

I just rec'd the reply below from one of the Sr. Mods. At least the are in "contact".

"We are in contact with Carnival and I believe they are looking into these reports

Thanks for your patience"

Jenn K

Senior Community Support

Edited by jwjax

Hi everyone

I just don't understand

thanks for listening

Is it any less rude of the very common practice of guests signing up for, and then not showing, any form of organized Meet & Mingle?

I'm not giving a pass for the fall-down of espousing to sponsor Meet & Mingles, but when there is a high frequency of poor turnout on the guest's part you have to minimally appreciate the apathy.

The most successful events I have attended were those where the guests ponied up some cash to participate. Otherwise, attendance has been dismal.

I'll reserve full judgment until after my first Carnival-sponsored event to see if things happen differently. I'm hopeful - but not confident.