Taking wine onboard?

Should we handcarry the two bottles of wine or can we keep it in our luggage? 2 bottles of wine would be quite heavy to lug around while waiting for the stateroom to be ready...

If you put it in your checked luggage the risk is you may be called to the 'naughty room' so that they can check it is wine and not some kind of liquor. There is also the risk of breakage. For this reason carry on is recommended but it's up to you, RCI allows either.

You can bring the wine anywhere on the ship with no corkage fees.

Except in the VCL.

On one of our cruises, RCI once again subbed Labadee for a port in place of an

original port that was one of the reasons we booked that route in the first place.

Cancelled with no notice and AFTER we had paid for the cruise. Some of us on CC

decided to do a get together in the VCL during the day, staying on board as an

alternative to too many times at Labadee, when that lounge is usually empty with

every one on shore anyway.

Each couple brought an interesting bottle of wine to sample. We were having a

great time, then a grouchy crew member kicked us all out. :eek: Said we were

competing with the bar in the VCL (which was empty).

We naturally totally cleaned up everything spotless, as we intended, and put the

chairs back to previous position. We all thought the crew member was a party pooper. :(

Edited by island lady

Except in the VCL....

You're right, the crewmember was a party pooper. Typical Royal inconsistency. We've brought wine to VCLs many times without any problem. Just off Majesty last week where the bar server in the VCL offered to open our wine and get us some glasses.

You're right, the crewmember was a party pooper. Typical Royal inconsistency. We've brought wine to VCLs many times without any problem. Just off Majesty last week where the bar server in the VCL offered to open our wine and get us some glasses.

Now THAT is service! And a real crew member that cares! :)

I still miss the great crew from the Monarch. How does the Majesty compare?

We have pretty much convinced ourselves to stop doing the 3/4 night cruises,

but perhaps we should check Majesty out after all?

BTW: On that cruise we did the get together in the VCL, we all brought our

own glasses (took them with us to clean them, no mess) and I brought a

wine opener to open all the bottles. There was no affect to the crew member

in the VCL. Just attitude for some reason. :(

Edited by island lady

Except in the VCL.

original port that was one of the reasons we booked that route in the first place.

alternative to too many times at Labadee, when that lounge is usually empty with

We naturally totally cleaned up everything spotless, as we intended, and put the

chairs back to previous position. We all thought the crew member was a party pooper. :(

Could have been due to the size of the group.

Except in the VCL.

You should have ignored the nasty crew member. There is really nothing that person could have done to actually prevent you all from enjoying your wine. Hope you got the name and reported him/her to someone at Guest Services.

... I still miss the great crew from the Monarch. How does the Majesty compare?

We have pretty much convinced ourselves to stop doing the 3/4 night cruises,

but perhaps we should check Majesty out after all?...

The crew attitude on Majesty was outstanding. I suspect that it won't be long until she near the top of the ship rankings, like Monarch was.

About 15 of us, and the only ones in there, besides the crew member that came in

to stock the bar for the evening.

We called it the LAP....Labadee Alternative Party (which I invented and hosted). Too bad

one of the couples did not have the Royal Suite....could have held it in there. ;)

Edited by island lady

You should have ignored the nasty crew member. There is really nothing that person could have done to actually prevent you all from enjoying your wine. Hope you got the name and reported him/her to someone at Guest Services.

Could have, but didn't. Luckily we were about ready to wrap it up anyway, but

would have liked to linger a bit longer since we were enjoying the conversations. :(

Of course the crew member did not know we were the dreaded Cruise Critic team. :eek: ;)

Edited by island lady

I think you have gone off topic of question. :cool:

Oops...sorry. I will try to be more PC from now on. :rolleyes:

I am just a "newbie" and need to be reminded of the rules. Thanks! ;)

Edited by island lady

About 15 of us, and the only ones in there, besides the crew member that came in

to stock the bar for the evening.

We called it the LAP....Labadee Alternative Party (which I invented and hosted). Too bad

one of the couples did not have the Royal Suite....could have held it in there. ;)

We have the RS on Serenade next March. Maybe I'll schedule a party. Sounds fun.

Probably so. I don't think there's any policy against bringing wine into the VC area, but if you have a big group pulling furniture around and having a party in there, it can be bad for business.

I know the poster said they were the only ones there, and that was probably true. If I were looking for a place to sit and enjoy a drink and saw a group of 15 or so people congregated like that, I'd probably skip that lounge and find somewhere else. Don't know if their presence was turning away potential paying customers or not, but it's possible.

Edited by Paul65

We have the RS on Serenade next March. Maybe I'll schedule a party. Sounds fun.

Drats!! We will just miss you. :( We are on in February and would have

loved to join you in that "tiny cabin" :eek: :p with our two bottles of wine per stateroom

(mentioned so as to keep me on topic ;) ).

Edited by island lady

Probably so. I don't think there's any policy against bringing wine into the VC area, but if you have a big group pulling furniture around and having a party in there, it can be bad for business.

I know the poster said they were the only ones there, and that was probably true. If I were looking for a place to sit and enjoy a drink and saw a group of 15 or so people congregated like that, I'd probably skip that lounge and find somewhere else. Don't know if their presence was turning away potential paying customers or not, but it's possible.

Paying for what?? The bar was closed at that time, crew member was just

setting up for the evening later when everyone came back on board. We were

the only ones in there while everyone was at the beach.

As I mentioned...we brought in our own glasses, cleaned everything up, reset the furniture back

to it's original places and when we left....you could not tell anyone had been in there. And there

was still no one else in there, except the party pooper crew member with a sour look on her

face. :eek:

Oh...and we took our now lighter "allowed two bottles of wine that we carried on

board" with us. ;)

Edited by island lady

Drats!! We will just miss you. :( We are on in February and would have

loved to join you in that "tiny cabin" :eek: :p with our two bottles of wine per stateroom

(mentioned so as to keep me on topic ;) ).

By the time that one hits we may be on the 3 gifts as well, plus the two we bring and whatever we get with the suite.

See, that is how you hijack. :D

By the time that one hits we may be on the 3 gifts as well, plus the two we bring and whatever we get with the suite.

See, that is how you hijack. :D

I was bummed that I did not get that second bottle on Enchantment. Did not know

that you don't get that additional bottle of wine when the cruise is under 5 days. :(

We choose the bubbly (for our traditional "bubbly on the balcony" at sail away) and got

that, plus the little split of "la crap" but not the bottle of red wine as our second choice.

And oh....but we DID have our "allowed two bottles of wine in our carry on" choice

with us. :D