Warning about Royal Carribbean Pre-Paid Gratuities

I was on the Navigator of the Seas Transatlantic cruise on May 8th, 2016. I had booked this cruise the year before and pre-paid the gratuities in Canadian dollars. When I arrived on the ship, I found that the gratuities were showing up on my Sea Pass account. I tried to get this problem fixed on the ship, showing them that my gratuities were pre-paid - (I had my Guest Ticket Booklet with me.) Needless to say I had no luck getting it fixed on the ship. They said the gratuities were cancelled on May 5th, just a few days before the ship sailed, and when I was actually driving to my pre-flight hotel for the night. I told Guest Services on the ship, that I would get it fixed when I arrived home and my Credit Card statement arrives. I just got off the phone with Royal Caribbean - the difference in cost between my pre-paid gratuities, that was cancelled by "someone" unknown, and what I was charged was $62.75 Canadian. I expected either a refund, or a cruise credit, for this amount since Royal Caribbean had my pre-paid money for almost one year, before it was cancelled. They will not refund me the full amount, since the price of gratuities had gone up from the time I had paid for them, and when we cruised. I had booked everything through Royal Caribbean's website, and I knew the cost of the gratuities had gone up, so why would I cancel them three days before the cruise? This problem happened to other people in our group, not just me, and we all booked separately.

My honest opinion, although I cannot prove it, is Royal Caribbean cancelled my pre-paid gratuities, knowing that they could make about 30% more by doing this. At this point it is not about the small amount of money, but the principle of it. Why were the Pre-paid Gratuities cancelled in the first place just before the cruise?

Royal Caribbean is by far my favorite cruise line, but after dealing with first Guest Services on the ship, and then with head office on the phone, I think I will likely try Princess again.

Just a heads up that Pre-Paid Gratuities might be more of a headache than they are worth.

My honest opinion, although I cannot prove it, is Royal Caribbean cancelled my pre-paid gratuities, knowing that they could make about 30% more by doing this. At this point it is not about the small amount of money, but the principle of it. Why were the Pre-paid Gratuities cancelled in the first place just before the cruise?

My honest opinion is that this is yet another IT problem. Not done on purpose, but instead a complete CF that they seem to have no control over.

Same with cruises being repriced when logging into your account and pre-cruise reservations being completely cancelled in their entirety for no reason at all.

It is a shame that guest services was not able, or willing, to fix the problem.

Can't you just tell guest services that you are unhappy with the service received and reduce your gratuities to the amount you previously prepaid?

I tried over a number of days on the ship to get everything put back to what it was - I could have reduced the gratuities to zero, but that would have only punished the hard working staff, that were excellent on the ship. I figured it was a Royal Caribbean head office problem and it should be an easy fix when I get home. I was wrong. I just will never pre-pay anything again.

I doubt they intentionally did this to try to get a few more dollars out of you, but I wouldn't be satisfied, either, without getting my money refunded. I would ask them for some sort of proof that you requested the refund of pre-paid gratuities. They should have a hard time coming up with any such proof, since you didn't do that.

They can't do anything with the pre-paid charges, but they could have removed the on board daily gratuities. I don't think the OP wanted to take those off (and basically give the service staff the shaft), if the pre-paid grats had already been refunded to his credit card.

They can't do anything with the pre-paid charges, but they could have removed the on board daily gratuities. I don't think the OP wanted to take those off (and basically give the service staff the shaft), if the pre-paid grats had already been refunded to his credit card.

Good point.

I was a little confused about what the OP actually wanted, but I understand now.

Have you nothing that shows you prepaid, and when? A credit card statement, or e-mail confirming you prepaid?

I showed them my Guest Ticket Booklet when I was on the ship, I printed it off just before driving to the pre-flight hotel. it showed that

it was pre-paid!

Exactly - thanks for explaining it better than I could. The regular staff on the Navigator was excellent.

I showed them my Guest Ticket Booklet when I was on the ship, I printed it off just before driving to the pre-flight hotel. it showed that

it was pre-paid!

If your cruise was booked and paid in Canadian and your prepaid grats were refunded back to your credit card how can RCCL charge you in US for your grats???

the only reason for the difference i can think of is if you had prepaid before the grats increased a few years ago???

Edited by gc

Good point.

I was a little confused about what the OP actually wanted, but I understand now.

Yeah, and he really did have a refund of the pre-paid grats on his credit card, but between changes in the standard gratuities and exchange rate since the original pre-payment, it ended up being a net higher cost.

My honest opinion is that this is yet another IT problem. Not done on purpose, but instead a complete CF that they seem to have no control over.

Same with cruises being repriced when logging into your account and pre-cruise reservations being completely cancelled in their entirety for no reason at all.

That is the problem I had, and like the OP, the issues with Royal Caribbean have gotten to the point where it is now time for me to explore other cruise options.

I was under impression that guest services can adjust the gratuities to any number you want. Are you saying it is either pay the higher gratuity amount in full, or pay nothing at all?

Edited by PCHENG

They are trying to wear you down. Keep the pressure on them and never accept an offer

which is not fair! Go all the way up to the President & CEO of RCI and you will get results.

• 11 months later...

Doesn't matter, it still applies. BTW for those reading a possible explanation (not excuse) for the loss of anything between your reservation and what you find on the ship is that a short time before the sailing (perhaps 3 days out like it happened to the OP) RCI shore side sends all the info to the ship - during that transfer, stuff can and probably does get "lost".

Biker, who would not pre pay anything - though not for this reason.

Doesn't matter, it still applies. BTW for those reading a possible explanation (not excuse) for the loss of anything between your reservation and what you find on the ship is that a short time before the sailing (perhaps 3 days out like it happened to the OP) RCI shore side sends all the info to the ship - during that transfer, stuff can and probably does get "lost".

Biker, who would not pre pay anything - though not for this reason.

If you pre-pay, you don't have to stand in line at the shore excursion desk and you are guaranteed a spot on the popular tours that sell out - assuming Royal Caribbean hasn't screwed up and lost your booking.

What is a Guest Ticket Booklet?

Back in the days before email, boarding passes and cruise contracts came in a booklet that arrived by mail (not by email). Since the staples and binding glue gums up the wires, the staples and binding glue cannot be emailed. So now, instead of a booklet you get a bunch of pages that come out of your printer.