Perfume overdoses

Briansbrain

Does it make a difference if you breath thru the mouth and not your nose when you are near someone who has on to much perfume? Was wondering if this would help.

Edited by ReneeFLL

Does it make a difference if you breath thru the mouth and not your nose when you are near someone who has on to much perfume? Was wondering if this would help.

Unfortunately the chemicals can also be absorbed through your skin, not just from breathing them in. It would therefore make no difference how you breathe.

Thank you for caring enough to think about possible solutions.

Nope. They are still a cologne bomb bothering innocents.

On our last cruise, most of the time I could not go out on our Balcony, the person next door was freshly sprayed with a very strong perfume each morning, I think she sprayed on the balcony to spare her DH. It lingered most of the day and then she would respray often and especially each evening. It was horrible, oh how I wished I could light a cigarette and enjoy it and rid the smell as well. It was very offensive, at least smoke goes away and most people don't smoke continuously. I understand about the dangers of smoke and before you tell me how bad it is to smoke, I am not a regular smoker but I enjoy a cigarette occasionally with a glass of wine and miss being able to do that on our balcony.

This was another reason why we started to avoid formal nights in the MDR.

Too much of the Sunday beads and splashes of perfume. Not good if you are trapped near someone who is doused in the stuff. And every once in a while you get a whiff of Hai Karate on one of the men.

Edited by iancal

What I love is the people who pour on the cologne then get upset when people around them are coughing. They are so worried about catching something, when they are the ones causing something.

Floral scents trigger both migraines and asthma for me. I've learned to negotiate around it as best I can, but sometimes it's impossible. An elevator car can reek for a while after the wearer leaves, and sometimes there's just no moving away from it. And sometimes it's the staff--and it always seems to be the male waiters.

I just had an interesting experience at work. I was starting to smell a rather strong scent - I thought it was from cologne/perfume a co-worker was wearing. My cheeks and lips started to burn - one of my symptoms of an encounter. She was only there for a moment, but that scent lingered. I thought I smelled it on my clothes, too. Turned out the office bought a new hand sanitizer (handling lots of money and taking trash from people all day long, so we use it frequently) and it had a fragrance added to it. I didn't think about it, but I went and took a whiff and it was the offender. Here I was, dosing myself unwittingly!

So, be aware of the offensive "washy washy" people trying to spew that stuff on you - the stuff they pump could be one of the reasons you get nauseous onboard! Beware the passenger who brings foo-foo scented sanitizer with her and uses it every 30 seconds out of fear of catching Noro...

Edited by slidergirl