Aft Sky Suite Advice on Silhouette

pmymmw

Hi,

We are on board Silhouette in October this year and currently have a regular balcony cabin booked. Sky Suite 2153 has just become available and I'm not sure whether to go for it or not. It's a funny shaped cabin so I'm a bit conerned about the layout but can't find any pictures in the forum. I'm also concerned about any noise from the deck above.

Has anybody stayed in this cabin? Do you have any photos you can share? Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Mark

The aft sky suites are a great space! Our favorite whichever deck! The additional large porthole and sitting area plus a large balcony and private hallway. A bit of a walk for some from the elevator but worth it! Enjoy.

Hi,

We are on board Silhouette in October this year and currently have a regular balcony cabin booked. Sky Suite 2153 has just become available and I'm not sure whether to go for it or not. It's a funny shaped cabin so I'm a bit conerned about the layout but can't find any pictures in the forum. I'm also concerned about any noise from the deck above.

Has anybody stayed in this cabin? Do you have any photos you can share? Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Mark

I'll be monitoring this thread, because I've got 2148 booked. I chose it for the cover and privacy it provides. I know that one of the negatives is that it's underneath a public space and that we'll hear tables and chairs being moved around, but we recently sailed M-Class in one of the corner FV cabins on deck 9 under the bar area and found that it didn't bother us much at all. What I'm not sure about is whether the window washing equipment will bother us, especially if it obscures the view from the porthole.

Edited by thebutlerdidit

Just returned (May 26th) from a 12 nighter on Silly residing in 9376. (Deck 9)

We are no strangers to Aft Sky Suites on any deck and will never hesitate to book another one.

Space, bathroom, closets, storage are great. The corner balcony - sootless, view - fantastic (especially if you like the ship's wake).

This last trip our Butler was exemplary. Just ask and you will receive.

Window washer equipment was stored out of sight - on all decks.

The walk to and from the elevators seemed long only after you just walked 30 miles during your tour. :D

2MC

Hi,

Thanks,

Mark

Grab it quick!:D:D

While ours was on the Solstice, we loved our aft-corner Sky Suite and would book another in a heartbeat! The walk to the elevator was longer but burned some calories.;)

Here are a couple photos of a port corner S-1.

Cheers!

Sky-Suite-S1-5143.jpg.3db17c0e779bd989a97bb40ea0dd09b0.jpg

146-celebsilviistafaft.jpg.087f8e9f6086702b93c3ad2d67409e0d.jpg

Edited by AZNative2000
  • Like 1

I was worried about walking into one of the poles going to the bathroom in the night but I guess you only do that once [emoji15]

Thanks for all the advice, will probably get that confirmed tomorrow.

Our favorite cabin. We haven't stayed on the top deck under the public space - we usually go for the penthouse deck which has cabins above and below - but we'd stay in it if it was available. I rather wish they all had the large overhang.

The poles are just there. We don't really notice them and you won't run into it - it's just like a column you might have in an open floor plan layout. Some cabins have two, some have one. We've stayed in these corner aft sky suites about 5 times and have two more booked. We loved them BEFORE getting Michael's club and Luminae. Now we love them even more and it's probably the only way we'll ever sail.

I was worried about walking into one of the poles going to the bathroom in the night but I guess you only do that once [emoji15]

Worried about the exact same thing as you, we were in 1214 on Reflection, but surprisingly the pole is something I got used to right away. It was never a problem and I have read similar comments by others. Loved the aft corner!

We haven't stayed in that suite on Silhouette, but we've stayed in the corresponding suite on the Eclipse. We also have it booked on an upcoming Solstice sailing. I think we heard chairs being moved above us twice on a 14 day cruise, and the noise lasted about two seconds each time. It was a Caribbean cruise, so lots of people were always outside in the bar above us, and it still was not noisy at all.

The other advantage of that suite is that it has total privacy. On the decks below it, the S1s don't have a lot of privacy. As you move down each deck, each one juts out further than the one above it, so people above can watch you unless you're sitting or standing right up against the wall. If you move out to the middle of the verandah, or stand at the rail, people above look right down on you.

I love that suite and it would book it again in a heartbeat. With regards to the pole(s), we didn't even notice them after the first day.

The pole is not an issue. When my daughter stayed with me in one for the first time, someone asked us about the pole at dinner one night. Her response was 'What pole?' She didn't believe me when I told her 'The one right next to your bed' until we went back to the cabin later that night!!

We stayed in one for the first time in January 2014 and since then, that is all we book.

Were you able to get it booked?:)

Cheers!

We booked 1405 on Silhouette corner aft. I have a concern about the widow washing equipment too- does it obstruct the view?

Depending on where the window washer (equipment) gets "parked", it can block your view from the balcony or the huge porthole. There is one on each side of the ship and it isn't always "parked" in the same place. In the photo, it is "parked" at deck 10 (your deck).

Photo here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a6/Celebrity_Silhouette_(ship,_2011)_001.jpg

The photo can be enlarged if you click on it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Were you able to get it booked?:)

Cheers!

Hi,

The cabin next door become available (2155) so we booked that instead.

We still had some concerns about the corner cabin, the balcony seemed very exposed and windy on some of the videos we found. We were going to risk it but when the SS2 next door appeared we decided to be safe and go for that.

Thanks for all three help and advice.

We always try for aft and aft corner cabins. Had an aft corner deck 6 suite on the transatlantic aboard the Reflection. LONG walk to and from the elevators and the balcony is minuscule compared to aft and aft corner M class cabins. Never noticed any problem with wind, soot or such. But did have crew walk past on the ledge of the balcony. Scared the @#$ out of me the first time it happened.

Depending on where the window washer (equipment) gets "parked", it can block your view from the balcony or the huge porthole. There is one on each side of the ship and it isn't always "parked" in the same place. In the photo, it is "parked" at deck 10 (your deck).

Photo here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a6/Celebrity_Silhouette_(ship,_2011)_001.jpg

The photo can be enlarged if you click on it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Thanks very much for the photo. It seems like they can park it out of the way. I have heard that it is in different locations (decks) on other S-class ships.

Thanks very much for the photo. It seems like they can park it out of the way. I have heard that it is in different locations (decks) on other S-class ships.

We stayed in one of the corner Sky suites on deck 10 and the washing equipment is more of an issue there although it is on the side of the ship not at the back. This year we tried deck 9 and there are no issues there.

We decided that we didn't fancy deck 6 (too low) and that 7,8 or 9 would be our choice in the future.

We stayed on deck 10 the corner aft S1 with the window washing machine on Eclipse in 2012. We kept waiting for another S1 to open up but it never did. (This was a popular transatlantic). It was *there* but more to the side than right out front. If you want to look directly down at that location then it does block some of the view of the ship below, but as far as the general and vast majority of the view, no it's not a problem. If it was the only choice we'd book it again - it really isn't much of an "obstruction."

I spent almost an entire day in the cabin while we were in port in Dominica because I had gotten bronchitis and noticed that it had a slight hum as it worked it's way down washing windows. Sometimes it wasn't even parked at our window, it was somewhere else. The framework for it was there but not the machine itself.

• 6 months later...

We are thinking of booking 2153 and I appreciate all the comments. If you have any other photos, I would love to see them.

We have never sailed in an aft, I am super excited. It has been 15 years since we have sailed with Celebrity and are looking forward to celebrating our 25th anniversary. Any comments you have on the "suite life" would also be much appreciated.

Cheers to a New Year!

Liz

If you make visits to the bathroom at night, get an LED closet light with motion sensor. Place it on the floor by one of the corners. It will light your way and then shut off. We've been using them on each and every cruise, works like a charm.;)

I have had aft corner Sky Suites on Silhouette, Solstice and Reflection - I love them. Will be in an Aft SS again in August on Silhouette -unfortunately not a corner. Great size, very quiet, very comfy. As others have said, the walk to the stairs and elevators is definitely further than other cabins and can be viewed as a negative - although does not bother me at all

We are thinking of booking 2153 and I appreciate all the comments. If you have any other photos, I would love to see them.

We have never sailed in an aft, I am super excited. It has been 15 years since we have sailed with Celebrity and are looking forward to celebrating our 25th anniversary. Any comments you have on the "suite life" would also be much appreciated.

Cheers to a New Year!

Liz

We were just in Silhouette 2153 a few weeks ago. I've attached a couple of photos. We loved the room - felt like more room than a typical SS. The balcony was huge, but sometimes you'd smell the diesel when the wind was just right. There was some noise from the deck above, but nothing intrusive IMHO. I'm a pretty light sleeper and THAT noise never woke me up. I wouldn't hesitate to book that room again.

IMG_2894.jpg

IMG_2895.jpg