Scotland to Seattle to Solstice Alaska May 16

Blondie008

I was born in Glasgow and have been back many times. I have more family there than in the US. I still cry every time I hear bagpipes. Also love it when I see a man in a kilt on the cruise ships. Right Bonnie. One of my favorite cruises was the British Isles and hope to do it again someday. Thank you for your kind words about my dad. It is stressful to bring him as he wants to be in the same cabin with me and never leaves my side. Happy to do it as our times together won`t last forever and he was a good dad when we were growing up. Cheers, Heather

I was born in Glasgow and have been back many times. I have more family there than in the US. I still cry every time I hear bagpipes. Also love it when I see a man in a kilt on the cruise ships. Right Bonnie. One of my favorite cruises was the British Isles and hope to do it again someday. Thank you for your kind words about my dad. It is stressful to bring him as he wants to be in the same cabin with me and never leaves my side. Happy to do it as our times together won`t last forever and he was a good dad when we were growing up. Cheers, Heather

Ooooh how wonderful. I was brought up underneath the flight path at Glasgow Airport in Renfrewshire - not a million miles away - I am in Glasgow often - on business and of course even although its a 2 hour drive - I go there every now and then for a touch of civilisation - I still need a city buzz now and then - although must admit at the end of a day, as I drive home - the roads get narrower and quieter and my traffic jam yesterday on the way home was a local famer moving some young ewes - :)

So wonderful about your Dad - Happy Fathers Day to him :) (tomorrow).

May 28th - Day 2 for our trip was a sea day. Nice to simply relax around the ship and try and catch up on some rest. We are still not over the 9 hour time difference - its easy for us to get up in the morning - but unfortunately - (and we are big on party later night clubbing) - we are floored after dinner, and continued to be for the entire trip. We don't do shows, never saw the inside of Quasar (which we whined about missing on Equinox) and we didn't go to the SKY Lounge.

As we say here - you could have set a snare for us. Martini Bar, Molecular Bar, BLU - and then bed.

Okay, lets talk cabins.

Our cabin was 1531 - our cabin was 1525 on Equinox so just a few doors away. Bed by the bath in 1531 which I prefer.

S1_zpspkpk4hyl.jpg

Although Celebrity cabins look beautiful - I really loathe the lack of storage in them. Those stupid over bed cupboards are a nightmare and a waste of time and space - The wardrobe is pathetic - I am not sure how we did it on Equinox for 14 nights which included three formal nights (and we had full Highland regalia and formal dresses) - but I struggled with this badly. We had warm clothes with us - and honestly - Celebrity - these ladies who designed these cabins - They clearly are not high maintenance - This drove both of us nuts the whole trip. Also, the vanity area - whats with that one stupid drawer - its hardly enough to hold my lip and eye products let alone my make up or hair products, Sorry Celebrity - but if there is one fault you have - its the cabins. Id rather have a Carnival or a Costa cabin which isn't nearly so pretty - but by far more practical - I have no interest in packing cubes, over the door storage or any other QVC storage invention - I just want my cabin to be purposeful - and sorry X - you lose on that score.

Personally, when I would lose the sofa space and make bigger storage - but that's for us who are two only and seldom even use the sofa (other than to stick stuff on the back of which I hate!). The above the bed cupboards- that's fine if you are 6ft tall - we Scots are no' very big - Every time we wanted something it was stand on the bed - pull it all down to see what I wanted, and put it all back up again.

Okay, rant over. Celebrity cabins = don't like hah!

We asked the cabin steward to remove the teas, take all out of the fridge etc. We had brought two bottles of decent champagne on board from duty free - and it was great that the fridge was big enough to store these.

The SPA on Celebrity we knew from Equinox was a disappointment - BUT - get this.

There are around six of us in the SPA. Two ladies on the tile lounger - myself and my husband - and their husbands. Walked in - lay down and looked forward to my ipod and a nice peaceful chillout. When THUMP THUMP THUMP - can you believe the band was rehearsing directly below us! This went on - and on - and on - and on - I watched these ladies squirm and turn and almost to tears - I went three times to the SPA reception desk - finally I dragged the receptionist into the SPA and threatened if she didn't listen - that I would stand outside a treatment room banging a wall - so that HER guest endured what we were enduring.

It took at least 30-45 minutes before we could get them to stop. Now I love "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk - but I am pretty sure these ladies didn't - and I didn't really enjoy it when it was being badly thrashed out on a drum over and over and over and over again.....

UGH - Cruise Director? That's YOUR department mate - think about where your band is rehearsing SPA + DRUMS = not good!

We used the SPA a few times. It was rarely busy - always empty tiled loungers when we were in. As we knew from Equinox the Persian gardens on X is a let down. No Jacuzzis, thallasotherapy pool - and in fact, is the main reason we wont return to Celebrity again on a transatlantic where a superb SPA is important to us. Again - poor design on this one X.

The ONLY reason to book Aquaclass is BLU . BLU was superb - without a doubt just wonderful.

Evening chic - we were so glad we didn't bring hubbys kilt - he said he would have felt like a right pratt. He wore a grey mohair 3 piece suit - I wore a short dress and killer heels - in fact, the second chic night I wore skinny jeans, heels and an embellished top and it felt perfect. Leave the formals at home folks - its history already.

Okay- some pics around the ship - there are tonnes already out there so will see if I can find some different ones and a few with snow capped hills in the background.

s5_zpsxnd0zc4i.jpg

s3_zps5hfwsdev.jpg

s5_zpsxnd0zc4i.jpg

s7_zpshknex0xj.jpg

This pic reminds me of Constellation - I do think Solstice has held on to a lot of M Class lovely features - it is beautiful .

s2_zpsglmt9s7b.jpg

We were MEGA excited about Ketchikan - our first port. We had decided not to do any excursions on this day - Having researched this trip for nearly two years our plan was simply just to spend the day in this beautiful town.

Salmon Capital of the World - but sadly we knew it would not be salmon season yet. We hope one day (in that future called retirement) we will get to take a vacation in July/August - but meanwhile - that's also OUR salmon season - and we too are busy fishing and smoking.

Ketchikan is an easy walk off stop. Its so simple and very accessible.

We just strolled around - my husband of course "hae'in a craic" with the salmon guys as always - Although - we have to tell you - a LOT of the salmon for sale is loaded with chemicals and E numbers - the opposite of what we do - but - do check your labelling - what you see is not always ONLY what you get.

Okay, let the pictures speak for themselves.

k3_zpswuqp9uek.jpg

k4_zpscv4awoio.jpg

k5_zpshbd2w08l.jpg

k1_zpsmlgtjezc.jpg

k2_zpset6qwic3.jpg

k6_zpsv3dkee0f.jpg

Salmon skins - this held particular interest for us - we send tonnes of smoked salmon skins for waste - and we would like to use this and make leather as a bi product - we just haven't found the way to create it using SMOKED as opposed to fresh salmon skins - working on it though - I really wish now I had bought one of these -

k9_zpsmk8sl7gx.jpg

k8_zps3dbomp6f.jpg

Such pretty shop doorways

k7_zpsvdv1ezow.jpg

k10_zpsingypnhv.jpg

And this wonderful water feature - its called "Plumbers nightmare"

k11_zps5pdz6s4t.jpg

We wandered Creek Street - hubby bought me some gold nugget earrings which I have had in to this day - love them - and we did the whole touristy route. We did the "Dolly's Whorehouse Tour" Its only 10$ per person (for the tour that is!) and a tip - which we did leave - Its fun - and kinda kitch - Loved all the 1950s retro furnishing - Its a great tour - do it - its fun ..

k12_zpscol3sej7.jpg

k15_zpskfjcgbn0.jpg

k16_zpsj5xohyfr.jpg

k18_zpss6opqzhf.jpg

k17_zpsq9zu1ioi.jpg

And hey - how abour your resume girls?

k19_zpsutf8h2ix.jpg

I have dozens of pics of Dolly's house but then that would spoil the surprises.

I do wonder however what Anne Summer (UK will get this) would make of this urm toy?

k21_zpsc5eoqdrv.jpg

We wandered around Ketchikan - just taking in the sights -pinching ourselves - and saying - hey - how did we make it here - how did a wee lass fae Glesga - and a boy fae the hills - end up in this amazing part of the world - we were in awe ..

k23_zpsqrklzyq1.jpg

k24_zps1i3xaeoi.jpg

An old friend was by the dock when we came back - memories - so precious of times gone by - loved ones who are no longer with us - Millie will always have a piece of our heart..

k25_zpsr3ebgb1c.jpg

Next up - 20TH wedding anniversary day - My birthday = PERFECT DAY in Endicott Fjord and Juneau - Throw in a Catamaran, some Killer whales, seals, glacier calving - and Murano - how can it possibly get any better....

May 30th 2016 - we married on May 30th 1996 - 20 years and we have worked together 24/7 for every one of them. Also my birthday (although I count backwards and forwards until I forget what age I really am) - so - luck would have it the highlight of our cruise would fall right on this day to make it just perfect.

As others have mentioned here - we had no access to Tracey Arm. Luckily there was a Plan B! Endicott Fjord and Dawes Glacier - and hey, an excuse now for us to HAVE to return to Alaska!

We got up around 6am - I had pre ordered blueberry pancakes and coffee - to enjoy the early sights of the Fjords.

s17_zpsh3bihjgb.jpg

Brent Nixon was narrating both on the outer decks - and also on one of the Channels on the TV. It wasn't long until the beauty of Alaska would begin to unveil herself. In many ways there is much about Alaska that is very like our home -

We have done Northern Europe and Baltics cruise - similar - but the beauty of Alaska really is breathtaking. There is nothing quite like sitting on your balcony - enjoying the stillness of the fjord - watching translucent turquoise ice chunks floating by, breathing in that perfect clear air - and soaking up every precious minute.

J1_zpsnsbhvknj.jpg

It wasn't long before we started to see beautiful ice floating past

J3_zpslmzoflx0.jpg

J6_zpsbveqnr7x.jpg

The water was so green - in places that day it would change from crystal blue to turquoise to emerald green - every changing waters - its just so very very pretty - pictures are nice - but to actually be there - there are no words or pictures can explain it - so glad we did this.

J5_zpsycfywnhz.jpg

We booked this cruise nearly two years ago - as soon as the excursions came out I booked the Catamaran Tour.

There was to be honest a lot of hanging around in the main dining room getting organised to get off the ship and on to the Catamaran. As a sidenote - people who have a disability and use a wheelchair - I noticed that this tour is wheelchair friendly - very easy access via a sturdy long ramp into the inner seating area of the Catamaran.

We were soon nearing the area where Solstice would turn around - and we would continue further into the Dawes Glacier - We would not have missed this for the world -

J10_zpsowxq7h2c.jpg

j11_zpskxtrkwa9.jpg

Bye Bye Solstice

j14_zpswk8hg1qq.jpg

j16_zpskls5bzis.jpg

And on to Dawes Glacier

j12_zpsglgihpta.jpg

The catamaran has an inside area with seating - and two outdoor decks - we spent most of the five hours on the outer decks. We were glad of our woolley touries (hats) and scarves - Although the sun was out - it was cold - and remember - we are Scots and hardy!

The catamaran provides free tea, coffee and the most delicious hot chocolate ever along with small Danish pastries. There is a large selection of snacks for sale along with some souvenirs and nick nacks.

The staff all very helpful and informative.

j29_zpsxpbpymga.jpg

The seals were happily lazing on the ice

j17_zpshuugu5lf.jpg

j18_zpsbj7qgjph.jpg

j21_zps7p0d9rpz.jpg

Soon we had the great fortune to be witness to a series of huge glacier calving - I did manage to capture a few different images - just luck really as it all happens so quickly and I was merely snapping with a cheap camera.

j22_zpskcxqoxpw.jpg

j23_zpskdezc7sk.jpg

We spent quite some time at Dawes Glacier - it was awesome!

Next we went on the hunt for killer whales. My husband has been a commercial salmon fisherman since a young boy - and knows how to spot a fish in the water unlike any person I know.

j27_zpsxzjtpbjp.jpg

j28_zpsrze1ubhq.jpg

Getting away from Dawes sun came out and it became so very pretty

j25_zpsmjf2rxby.jpg

All in all - a perfect start to our special day.

At Juneau we were pulled up alongside the ship - and embarked Solstice again via the ramp - very simple.

That French Onion Soup and a Pinot Noir was gratefully received! We had our wonderful Bistro on 5 Lunch - We didn't do the buffet our entire cruise. Having caught really bad virus (as in spent days in bed and in the medi centre) on Equinox - we vowed no more buffet. We are paranoid about germs and contamination - we are ECUK approved food producers - and totally switched on to the spread of germs - taking no chances this time and making sure we had a table served lunch every day. I loved the Hot and Spicy pancakes and would ask for a side of crème fraiche (Soured cream) on the side - this was never a problem.

After Lunch we tendered off for Juneau - word of warning - at the Juneau side there is a very steep long walkway - fine for us - but I felt very sorry for those who were older or a less fit - it was a serious hill of walkway!

In Juneau we wandered the shops buying some souvenirs and just enjoying the bustle of this town.

There was a lovely toffee sweetie shop (candy shop)

Hmmm - big slabs of toffee and fudge being made on the premises.

j31_zpsasgyzsth.jpg

We did try to get into the Red Dog Saloon but the doorman was very rude and insisted we take a table when we wanted to go by the bar. We asked could we have a drink first but nope - he was all over us and we just walked away - life is too short and clearly they were busy and didn't need us, fair enough - but he had attitude about it which well - wasn't exactly tourist friendly - We had just eaten and we were not ready for food - Fair enough - went to an Irish Bar instead, shot some pool and had some good ole Pub time.

j30_zpstytteoxd.jpg

Back on board - spent some lovely relaxing time at the SPA - and then prepared for our Anniversary dinner in Murano .

After a few Martinis and a couple of Louda's amazing concoctions at the Molecular Bar - we went to Murano for dinner.

During our last cruise we dined in Murano three times so we were no strangers to the Menu.

It did not disappoint.

Murano Lobster Flambe'ed tableside.

j34_zpslqdk0l24.jpg

Et Voila!

j35_zpstjbk4awz.jpg

Desserts

j37_zpschv5cfcp.jpg

And just in case we hadn't had enough ?

Petit Fours

j36_zpsyjgi7s4g.jpg

We were then presented with these two beautiful small cakes. Have to confess - we gave them to Janette our Stateroom Attendant and her assistance Clide (who had also prepared an Anniversary surprise for us - sweet).

j39_zpsgd8h2kxr.jpg

j40_zpsm6wwvnmk.jpg

j38_zpsvbjbwzud.jpg

Perfect day - we are serious party animals and have to say on this cruise we simply just did not feel the need to go partying. Midnight for us is an early night - and we pretty much made it to our cabin each night around midnight or so if not before. I think too the 9 hour time difference plays a part - it is a hard one to get your body to adapt to in such a short time.

We stopped by the Ensemble lounge some evenings (again very tranquil for us) - mostly though Martini Bar and Molecular Bar.

The Bartenders were great - as they are in these show bars -

There were times when the Martini Bar was a little understaffed - but even so, we never waited long for a drink.

We celebrate our wedding anniversary in a special way every five years. I can clearly remember our 5th, 10th, 15th and now - this magical day which was our 20th will stay with me forever.

Perfect morning, afternoon, evening and night.

Just wonderful - feeling truly blessed.

Next up SKAGWAY and our worst nightmare! :eek:

my wife and I did an Alaska cruise on NCL a couple of years for her 65 birthday, so your pictures bring back happy memories. Regarding MacLeods Scotch Bar in seattle I had wee look at their website and on the home page top right hand it shows their hours, so saying its not on their website is incorrect

my wife and I did an Alaska cruise on NCL a couple of years for her 65 birthday, so your pictures bring back happy memories. Regarding MacLeods Scotch Bar in seattle I had wee look at their website and on the home page top right hand it shows their hours, so saying its not on their website is incorrect

So it does - how odd - unless they updated it recently - for sure we looked and read they did lunches -

Oh well - never mind - we had a fabulous day without them :D

Loving your review. We did this cruise for our 50th's a few years ago so reliving the cruise with you. Isn't it familiar scenery? We're also originally from Scotland and agree there's an 'instant' connection when you meet others who hail from our lovely home. Loving your little bit of Scots language that comes through every now and again too! My ears still prick up at the sound of a Scottish accent - even in the Supermarket :D

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Unfortunately here "in the land that time forgot" our Broadband has gone down - been down for five hours now - hopefully they might send an Engineer in by break of dawn tomorrow - One day - perhaps not in my lifetime - we will have Infinity broadband! Right now - we are only not long over dial up! You know that Internet at sea you all go crazy about - Welcome to my TechNOworld! :o

I enjoyed your pre-cruise chat about Seattle and now have been reading thru your trip report. But I have a question - did you stay for 3 nights at the Warwick for $417! what a deal! and you said you kept switching the booking around? Did you book thru the hotel of booking.com. We are going with friends next July - I've warned them Seattle hotels are pricey, but what a deal you got. I'd love to get a price like that for a Seattle hotel and the Warwick looks very nice. Advice please. Thanks and also thanks for the pleasant trip report for Seattle and beyond.

I enjoyed your pre-cruise chat about Seattle and now have been reading thru your trip report. But I have a question - did you stay for 3 nights at the Warwick for $417! what a deal! and you said you kept switching the booking around? Did you book thru the hotel of booking.com. We are going with friends next July - I've warned them Seattle hotels are pricey, but what a deal you got. I'd love to get a price like that for a Seattle hotel and the Warwick looks very nice. Advice please. Thanks and also thanks for the pleasant trip report for Seattle and beyond.

Yes I did - I know - kinda bargain huh - I did have taxes to pay on top of that - but yes 417$ (not gbp) and that was with free cancellation up to 24 hours beforehand. I originally had two others booked - then a flash sale came up with the Warwick and I grabbed it - I think when you keep googling something the offers appear on your screen on sites such as FB or Trip Advisor - cookies play their part in a good way for a change :)

Id start looking now!

I copied this from my booking - for three nights

"Deluxe King Room US$417

Price US$417

Best Price Guaranteed

You'll pay when you stay at Warwick Seattle Hotel

15.60 % Tax is excluded.

US$ 2 City tax per night is excluded. "

Edited by Blondie008

Thanks so much for the great tour pics of the catamaran. We're doing that one and your review really helps!

So excited!!:D

Fantastic! Enjoy - It truly is an experience we wouldn't have wanted to miss out on. Have a great cruise!

Brilliant review, bringing back great memories of our Alaska trip two years ago on Solstice.

Deb

Thanks Deb - We thought it would be a once in a lifetime trip but seeing as we didn't get to see Tracy Arm Fjord - we might just have to go back ;)

Loving your review. We did this cruise for our 50th's a few years ago so reliving the cruise with you. Isn't it familiar scenery? We're also originally from Scotland and agree there's an 'instant' connection when you meet others who hail from our lovely home. Loving your little bit of Scots language that comes through every now and again too! My ears still prick up at the sound of a Scottish accent - even in the Supermarket :D

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Turncoat! :D Only joking lol!!!

We have a couples only holiday cottage - and yesterday, the couple arriving - were from Hampshire - fair wee drive for 3 nights!

I have to admit I have tried for the best part of 25 years to hold on to my original West Glasgow dialect but - I find myself more and more speaking like my husband which drives me insane - Where I live dialects change completely between each district, town and village. Being in the tourist industry we do speak very polite, its only when alone or at home - we slip into local dialect.

In actual fact, this next part of my review involved me slipping into a very long barrage of local dialect! :eek: