Scotland to Seattle to Solstice Alaska May 16

Blondie008

Blondie, did you not feel when you completed that terror filled zipline course, that you could do anything? That's how I felt when I did the helmet dive in Bora Bora 20' down! I'm not a swimmer or even a snorkler!

So sorry you had to miss Victoria. It's a pretty little place.

Can you not see my avator? (That's where the Beagle is.)

BTW - what is it with the crazy law on bars in Canadian waters?

During all times that we were in Canadian waters the ship is only allowed to open one bar per deck.

The up side of that was that we discovered the passport bar on deck 3 (eh -were on Equinox for 14 nights and were never at it). They had a VERY nice cocktail menu there.

But yeah - one bar per deck?

Needless to say it didn't deter us from drinking :D

The food in the Passport bar is a recent innovation, not sure if the Passport Bar has always existed.

The food in the Passport bar is a recent innovation, not sure if the Passport Bar has always existed.

Think you are confusing it with the GastroBar which we did experience on Equinox.

No - this is a lobby style bar down at guest services - very nice drinks menu and very nice girl serving too :)

Edited by Blondie008

Blondie, did you not feel when you completed that terror filled zipline course, that you could do anything? That's how I felt when I did the helmet dive in Bora Bora 20' down! I'm not a swimmer or even a snorkler!

So sorry you had to miss Victoria. It's a pretty little place.

Can you not see my avator? (That's where the Beagle is.)

No - cant see Avator - I have all of these things unchecked due to slow broadband.

AND this is exactly how I ended up on the zipwire in the first place - having conquered my Scuba fear (I have a dive booked for Bermuda in October and hoping to do my full Padi in Jan 17) I honestly thought the zipwire would be a piece of cake.

To be honest its not actually being on the wire that's my fear - its that stepping off bit - or the running off the edge of the cliff bit -

Never again -

Nope - that's it -no more "Oh I can do anything carryon!" hah!

I too was sorry to miss Victoria. My son in law is Canadian and I so wanted to set foot on Canadian soil -

But we knew - and were right - there is no way we would have been off ship even by 7pm - it was just too late - we had a long travel ahead of us -

There will be other times (we hope!).

Our final day in Seattle - prior to our flight(s) home - was spent with the wonderful people of Artful Ashes and Rainbow Bridge Hearts.

For anyone who is interested you can find both on FB - or simply google the titles and add Seattle. You will find them. They are an amazing bunch of compassionate people whom we have had the great fortune to meet.

We have an open invitation to go stay with Rich - and we hope to at some point in the future.

So - photos to speak for themselves

Rich took us across Seattle to the Glass Blowing Studio - he was amazing and gave us great craic along the way

a16_zpsodoex9cs.jpg

The rest of the pics all taken in the studio. If you wish you can be present whilst your memorial is being made. I met a lady here - she lost her husband young - her young son was with her - so much compassion,kindness, love and just a sense of peace is right here. The lady and I hugged - she said she had never met a real live Scots person before lol

a2_zpsjzgovine.jpg

a3_zpsc4mbetkg.jpg

a4_zps5y48xxte.jpg

a6_zpsiw9wlzhs.jpg

Many artists at work

a14_zps6zq2yo4i.jpg

a15_zpsqvxr1nbn.jpg

And these - are our girls - Holly was a beautiful black lab, and Abbi was a foxy red ginger lab - the photographs of the glass hearts does not do them justice.

Also there is a light stand so if you wish to can use your heart as a little night light - Rich gave us three of these free of charge.

Every single piece is unique.

The black is for Holly, the Ginger is for Abbi - and all hearts are inscribed and "hallmarked" on the back. The silvery wisps - are our girls remains forever encaptured in these beautiful glass sculptures.

b12_zpsgptuvpub.jpg

b14_zps1axsl8ef.jpg

b15_zpsjvmuju2a.jpg

<3

As a side note - we did not have this made - but we did see them and they are very beautiful - perhaps more for a mother who has lost a child or someone very dear - tiny hearts filled with 24ct gold and the remains are made into "Angels wings" - very beautiful ..

Not for everyone of course - but these people of Seattle made us so welcome I just wanted to get it out there to anyone who might be interested.

For anyone in the UK note BA DO allow the carriage of both human and pet remains in both hand and hold luggage.

Angels Hearts

a17_zpsdcqk0kaz.jpg

After this we went to the airport.

BA ground crew were the pits - the only nasties we met all trip - ugh!!

We were not allowed to check in until four hours prior to our flight which was at 7pm - which meant check in at 3pm. Our lounge which we had, closed at 5.30pm.

We did go to a wine bar and the girl was amazing - in fact I asked her would she come work for me lol! She was some sales kid - superb!!

She made us smile and the way she dashed around so busy busy was awesome.

Our flight home was uneventful - I was dreaming about Gordon Ramsay's bacon butties in T5 all the way home - and waaaaaaaaaaaaarghhh - we didn't make it there until after 12 when they had stopped serving brekki :(

Never mind - we had a relaxed lunch and soon we were boarding our flight home to Scotland. We have had amazing sunshine here in Scotland this year - so came home to hills of green and blue skies..

AND THAT is an end to our cruising now until October/November when we take a chillout Transatlantic which is on an older ship and wont be as beautiful as Solstice - but is the best TA route I have seen in years!

Thanks for following along -

If you have any questions please feel free to ask - If I can answer - I will :)

Bon Voyage ALL!

Blondie XXXX

I'm so glad you made it home safe and sound, but I'm going to miss being part of your wonderful journey! You have such a way with words...it was so enjoyable to follow along. I live just outside Seattle and I had never heard of Artful Ashes or Rainbow Bridge Hearts, but so glad you shared with us. Thank you. :)

I'm so glad you made it home safe and sound, but I'm going to miss being part of your wonderful journey! You have such a way with words...it was so enjoyable to follow along. I live just outside Seattle and I had never heard of Artful Ashes or Rainbow Bridge Hearts, but so glad you shared with us. Thank you. :)

Glad you enjoyed it - thank you so much - and spread the word in Seattle - they are an amazing bunch of people - so lovely!

Hi Blondie,how was the customs and immigration process at Seatac.We are going on the 1st sept,cheers,Brian.

Hi Brian - absolute breeze! No problem - its nothing remotely like flying into Miami or NY - very speedy and pleasant process.

If you are looking for a cab ask someone as you need to go to a different level where the car park is over a walkway - you cannot take your luggage on a cart though - can only take luggage cart to a certain point - then you need to either use their system ($$s) or haul it - we hauled it hah!

Blondie thank you so much for your review. It made me want more, I was disappointed when it was over. Loved, loved the zip line adventure and talk of the Martini bar, my favorite place. All 3 of our cats have died of old age and we have their ashes. Going to make arrangements to have their ashes put into these wonderful hearts. I did not know a place like this existed.

I am leaving on the Infinity on September 18 and after your review cant wait to step foot on the ship.

Thank you again for all the time you spent on a wonderful review.

Norma

Blondie thank you so much for your review. It made me want more, I was disappointed when it was over. Loved, loved the zip line adventure and talk of the Martini bar, my favorite place. All 3 of our cats have died of old age and we have their ashes. Going to make arrangements to have their ashes put into these wonderful hearts. I did not know a place like this existed.

I am leaving on the Infinity on September 18 and after your review cant wait to step foot on the ship.

Thank you again for all the time you spent on a wonderful review.

Norma

Hi Norma! DO get in touch with Rich from Rainbow Hearts - and the prices are amazing - very very reasonable and the job they do is truly personal - he will work with you on colour etc. They also do Globes sorry forgot to mention that - you can choose from Hearts or Globes - checkout their FB page or their website - you wont regret it I promise - and if you are not in Seattle - do as I did - drop off en route - collect on the way back - very easy!

Please come back and tell us of YOUR trip! X

Fantastic review! Loved how your lovely accent leapt from the screen! Will have to visit you in Scotland one of these days when we do a distillery tour!

Absolutely! We are distilling again in our area - new owners re vamped Bladnoch Whisky -check it out :) (and then you come see me too!)

The big thing in Scotland however right now is Gin - its everywhere! Hendricks is distilled just 19 miles from me - but new Gin distilleries are popping up all over Scotland!

Thanks for following my review - Happy Cruising!

Thanks Deb - We thought it would be a once in a lifetime trip but seeing as we didn't get to see Tracy Arm Fjord - we might just have to go back ;)

Why didn't you get to see the Tracy Arm Fjord? I am taking this cruise on July 29 and am wondering if I will get to see it.

Edited by anteloat

Why didn't you get to see the Tracy Arm Fjord? I am taking this cruise on July 29 and am wondering if I will get to see it.

Too early - there was still huge ice and Captain made the call to do Plan B - I think if you look around you will find a few cruises that had to do this. For sure you are cruising in prime time - you will get Tracy Arm -

STILL recommend that Catamaran - the ship turns around - you get up close and personal with the glaciers - def a "don't miss".

For us - aaaaaaaaaah - perfect excuse to return now isn't it ;)

Its rather like you all trying to do Europe in a week - its impossible - you cannot! And for us - Alaska in a week - not a chance - I hope we live long enough to retire and enjoy this beautiful USA and Canada - For sure this was just a tease! :)

Thanks for the quick reply. I am already booked for the catamaran and it sounds amazing.

Fantastic! - was a moment for us that goes up there with experiences like wild Lions in the Tsavo hills in Kenya - or hippos bumping our tents in the night in the Mara - it is simply a "at one with nature" experience - the stillness of the water - the crackle of ice - one cannot photograph that feeling - its there - in the bones - for always :)

We love our salmon fishings early dawn - seeing otters at 4am and seeing the mist come up the water - this was kind of a same but different experience -

We just adored it -

Have an amazing time and please come back and tell your tale :)

- it is simply a "at one with nature" experience - the stillness of the water - the crackle of ice - one cannot photograph that feeling - its there - in the bones - for always :)

:)

That's why we're taking our Go Pro, you need to pick one up before you return. Our videos of Hubbard are spectacular! You can hear that cracking!:p

That's why we're taking our Go Pro, you need to pick one up before you return. Our videos of Hubbard are spectacular! You can hear that cracking!:p

I would like a Go Pro - I actually left my decent camera at home on purpose - took along a cheap "snap happy" as it takes up so little room and I knew I would take more pics. I actually took nearly 1000 - but obviously on CC don't want to have personal stuff out there.

I kinda like to just "live the moment" - I got lucky with some of those calving shots as I was literally just holding my camera in the air and snapping - I was busy enjoying it.

I would like an underwater Go Pro must admit - might be putting that one on my Santa list this Christmas ;) - Or a Camera Dive Mask - been looking at those too :)

Where are your videos of Hubbard - have you got them on here for us to see? Would love to see them? :)

I so now want to do a full Alaska trip with Vancouver and so much more

This really was just a taster huh?

I forgot to mention this - and really feel I must.

On our last morning as we were packing up to leave the ship - my husband noticed he was missing a gold bracelet.

He remembered (amidst the haze which is toffee vodka and Chocolate Martinis) that his bracelet, had on occasion, stuck to the ice on the bar.

With this in mind, he suspected it had broken off - and was left on the Ice Bar.

He called guest services - they told him they DID in fact have a bracelet - and to call by.

He duly called by, described the bracelet - and sure enough - it was his. They couldn't say who handed it in -

We truly hope Karma comes back to whoever this wonderful person was - and tenfold in goodness - It was a heavy gold bracelet, and one he has had for as long as I can remember.

Restores our faith in human kindness -

Wonderful!

Do you think that going on a whale watching excursion in Juneau after the catamaran is overkill?

No, not at all - jut watch the time you book if you book independently - The catamaran doesn't get back to the ship until 1.30pm - and you then have to tender off to Juneau - If its through the ships system shouldn't be a problem - but if DIY make sure you have enough time.

Have a fabulous cruise!