Shingles and cruising???

janmcn

I have had shingles. I didn't get if from anyone. I got it from the perfect storm of a lingering virus from childhood chickenpox, stress, and a bout of pneumonia. If you don't get the vaccine for shingles, you too can get it just from the alignment of all the right factors. It comes from within and yes, it is very painful. Some people also get very, very sick from it. I too received advice that it is only contagious in the blister stage but would be fine if I covered. No isolation. No one got chicken pox from me. Certainly no one got shingles from me!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My sincere sympathy to your daughter-in-law. I had shingles about a month before cruising a couple of years ago . The rash cleared up within about 2 1/2 weeks, but the ridiculous pain persisted for long after that. I'm sure she's following the doc's recommendations, and she'll know better than anyone if she's able to cruise. I wish her all the best.

Just a FYI, when my husband came down with shingles, the doctor also gave him a prescription for Lyrica to help with the nerve pain. Perhaps your daughter's doctor will also give her a prescription if she is in pain.

Another RX that is just terrific is Lidocane Patch 5% These 8x6 patches are placed on the nerve and calm them right down. 12 hours on/12 hours off. For me they are a miracle. I also use them on my sciatica nerve when it is causing pain in the back and leg. One patch in the right spot gives almost instant relief. Of course your experiences may be different and only you and your Dr. can tell what is good for you.

PLEASE don't bother responding with info you don't know is true. I appreciate the concern/comments from those who have had them close to travel time, which is what I wanted.

A little ungracious, don't you think! People were just trying to help you and since you already had all the information that you should have needed, you could simply have disregarded what you considered to be untrue.

Enjoy your cruise. It sounds like your DIL has her illness well in hand.

I had chicken pox twice as a kid, the 2nd time mixed in with a measles rash! Then in my 20s I had Bell's Palsy, also from the same virus as ckn pox. I have been told by all my docs to get the shingles shot as I am highly susceptible to getting shingles. I'm doing that on Monday.

Edited by peaches from georgia

Tampa Girl, if you reread my comment I was asking people to NOT post what they do not know is true. I thanked those that had given comments...but there was a LOT of MISINFORMATION which should NOT be given...that's all....it did not help me or anyone else to give false info.

Thankfully, the antiviral is working well and her pustules are not increasing and are drying up and most importantly she is feeling a lot better. We're confident that she will be able to make the trip at this point. It's mostly in her scalp so she said it's painful to wash/style her hair, but that should be better later this week. Thank you all for the comments. We're so lucky to have the antivirals to limit this disease compared with the suffering that people had many years ago.