Self Disembarkation Civitavecchia

French604

We are trying to firm up our departure time from Civitavechhia. We will be doing the self-disembarkation. Our ship is supposed to dock at 5 am, I'm just not sure how long we will have to wait before they let the self-disembarkation passengers off. Some posts have said 30 minutes, but I'm just wondering if that is typical or if they were just really lucky. Any feedback would be appreciated. :)

I would also like to know others experience.

We have an 11.15am flight from FCO and have booked private transfer for 7.30am. ( self disembarkation) Hoping timing will be ok..

I assume if we dock at 5am that 7.30am should certainly be safe enough. I know that you mentioned 30 mins but I've never been off quite that quickly in US ports, unless European ports are different. Hoping others will have some first hand, recent experience.

Edited by killarneylady

I wouldn't anticipate being off the ship before 6.00 am at the earliest. Whilst the ship may berth at 5.00 am it doesn't mean that all the appropriate shore personnel will be on board ready to go then. I would however think that your 7.30 pickup would not be an issue. In order to be sure though I would take all your bags off the ship with you when you leave rather than hope that the ship gets them ashore for you. I assume your transport will be able to pick you up at the ship and not have to rely on the shuttle to the port gate.

I've just done a b2b in and out of Civi twice. On both occasions we docked at 5am and express walk off guests were allowed to leave between 6.45-7am. I would think 7.30am would be fine. ALL luggage was out in the terminal from 7am and you didn't need specific luggage tags if you had independent travel arrangements you could get off anytime between 7-9.30am and collect your luggage.

Edited by DebbieMacG

I would also like to know others experience.

We have an 11.15am flight from FCO and have booked private transfer for 7.30am. ( self disembarkation) Hoping timing will be ok..

I assume if we dock at 5am that 7.30am should certainly be safe enough. I know that you mentioned 30 mins but I've never been off quite that quickly in US ports, unless European ports are different. Hoping others will have some first hand, recent experience.

We have this same situation in September (flying to Dublin for the weekend before heading home). I called the cruise line, and they said it would not be a problem with the self disembarkation. I also called Choice Air, and they quoted the same flight I am on at 11:15- I asked if it would be too tight, and they said absolutely not a problem. :)

We arrived on a Friday at 5:00 am and didn't have a problem in getting to FCO in time to catch an 11:20 am flight. We disembarked at 7:30 and had a Celebrity bus transfer to the airport, it took about an hour. If your going to the US, make sure the driver knows to drop you off at terminal 5. If they drop you off at terminal 3, you will have to take a shuttle to terminal 5 (terminal 5 is only to clear immigration and security. Once you do this, you take a bus to your departure gate which is part of Terminal 3)

I wouldn't anticipate being off the ship before 6.00 am at the earliest. Whilst the ship may berth at 5.00 am it doesn't mean that all the appropriate shore personnel will be on board ready to go then. I would however think that your 7.30 pickup would not be an issue. In order to be sure though I would take all your bags off the ship with you when you leave rather than hope that the ship gets them ashore for you. I assume your transport will be able to pick you up at the ship and not have to rely on the shuttle to the port gate.

Thanks, I'll get on to my transfer company Rome Cabs now, to check that.

Civitavecchia is a wonderfully efficient port (unlike some other ports in Italy). If your ship is docked at 5....they will likely allow self-disembarkation by 5:30! There will also be some taxis on the pier. But if you must have an early start it is best to arrange (online) for a private transfer (we use Romecabs). Keep in mind that most of the private transfer companies charge a premium for really early pick-ups (often before 7). The question you did not ask is about the time of flights from FCO. Personally, we do not like to book a flight that departs prior to 11 (10:30 would not cause us to much concern). Consider that it takes 45-60 min (depending on traffic) to get from the Port to FCO. Also allow extra time for flights that are direct to the USA because of the Terminal 5 hassles (a special remote terminal used to check-in those flying to the USA). A 10am Domestic Flight (within the EU) would normally be OK if you self-disembark and have a private transfer arranged for no later then 6:30.

Hank

We disembarked at 0730 last week. RomeCabs had us at FCO airport by 0820. The roads weren't very busy at all. I hope that helps.

What I would say is why do people self disembark after 0700? They clog up the lifts with their huge bags, and are clearly struggling. Its quite exasperating when you are waiting for a lift and can't get in because of the suitcases. The staff are so efficient at Civitavecchia, the bags are always there waiting for you in the customs hall.

We disembarked at 0730 last week. RomeCabs had us at FCO airport by 0820. The roads weren't very busy at all. I hope that helps.

What I would say is why do people self disembark after 0700? They clog up the lifts with their huge bags, and are clearly struggling. Its quite exasperating when you are waiting for a lift and can't get in because of the suitcases. The staff are so efficient at Civitavecchia, the bags are always there waiting for you in the customs hall.

Because we either have valuables in our luggage or have had luggage stolen in the past. Anyone can walk out of the terminal with your luggage, its on the honor system so if you have anything valuable, best to carry it off yourself. In the US, I have a GPS that tracks my luggage but it doesn't work in Europe so I keep it all with me and try to get off early but not always possible.

Because we either have valuables in our luggage or have had luggage stolen in the past. Anyone can walk out of the terminal with your luggage, its on the honor system so if you have anything valuable, best to carry it off yourself. In the US, I have a GPS that tracks my luggage but it doesn't work in Europe so I keep it all with me and try to get off early but not always possible.

Always better to be safe than sorry.. Bags in the elevator have never caused an issue for us, as we don't have that many to handle. Also we allow plenty of time. This next year we are getting off later with other couples, so we will just plan a little earlier. If you have ever had major issues with bags you will understand!!! We do not bump out others...And it is allowed. Having said that, if you can't handle your own bags, then there is a problem. We ran in to that this year. A lady and her DH with too many bags and Starbucks...what a mess. However, you see it all on a cruise...good, bad and ugly! So you just need to allow plenty of time and relax, as it will all work out in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

I wonder how you get on at an airport with a honour system operating to retrieve bags off the carousel or do you buy extra seats for your luggage.

I think I am on the same cruise as the original poster. We will be ending the cruise in Civitavechhia. We will be taking the regional train into Rome for a few nights.

In a case like this, is there any advantage of self-disembarkation? have a tour at 11am in Rome at St. Peter's, but would want to drop the bags off at the hotel first and then walk.

I wonder how you get on at an airport with a honour system operating to retrieve bags off the carousel or do you buy extra seats for your luggage.

As stated in my post - I have GPS that works in the states, the only time my bags are out of my control is European airports. Since I can walk them off the ship myself, I do so I don't risk it when I have valuables or an early flight. It's one 29 inch roller bag with a carry on. Just staying for some folks it is a conscience choice.

Could someone please clarify which transportation (vehicles) are allowed to pick you up right at the ship, and which are at the outside gate -- that is, you'll need to take the free shuttle to get to them.

We will be in a tight schedule and would like to make sure we book the right car that will met us right at the ship.

Thanks in advance!