Grand Princess Drydock?

bigenna

It has been a couple of years since we sailed on this ship. At that time we were in an aft cabin on Caribe, IIRC, and there always seemed to be workmen dealing with ceiling drips and trying to dry the hallway carpet with big fans.

We saw a cruise on the Grand for Jan 2017 that works for us and wondering if any of you have knowledge of her current condition.

I think I read somewhere that she is scheduled for some sort of Drydock later this year, but hard to know what this would entail.

It has been a couple of years since we sailed on this ship. At that time we were in an aft cabin on Caribe, IIRC, and there always seemed to be workmen dealing with ceiling drips and trying to dry the hallway carpet with big fans.

We saw a cruise on the Grand for Jan 2017 that works for us and wondering if any of you have knowledge of her current condition.

I think I read somewhere that she is scheduled for some sort of Drydock later this year, but hard to know what this would entail.

The first priority of all dry docks is below waterline maintenance, and other repairs that can't be done with pax on board, or underway. Many of these things the average passengers never will notice.

That being said, I don't know of any specific passenger oriented work to be done.

Looks like routine maintenance December 8th - 16th in SF. It needs it. I was on in March. Ceiling leaks and sewer smell was evident in a few places.

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/fleet-drydock-schedule

I was on her over a year ago and there were ceiling leaks all over and buckets placed strategically.

225a761cb74b71b1bd3e4ea5e3d4beed.jpg

Looks like routine maintenance December 8th - 16th in SF. It needs it. I was on in March. Ceiling leaks and sewer smell was evident in a few places.

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/fleet-drydock-schedule

Anybody's guess as to what "routine maintenance" actually means - December 2016 Drydock is slated for 9 days.

I have been on the Grand about 3 times in the past few years... last time was New Years last year, going again this New Years...news about leaks/buckets are much ado about nothing in my opinion.

Any way, the more folks pan the Grand the better the price I suspect. LOL

If you have concerns, book a cabin anywhere but aft... as I suspect that is where there are some problems.

Happy cruising... we took the first cruise on the Grand in l998, started cruising on her again when she was home ported in San Francisco, our home port. Happy to have her here.

Anybody's guess as to what "routine maintenance" actually means - December 2016 Drydock is slated for 9 days.
Pretty educated guess. The hull will be scraped and repainted with marine anti-fouling paint, the propellers cleaned and polished, the thrusters cleaned, engines maintained, electronics updated, public areas and cabins deep cleaned, etc. Carpeting is replaced on an ongoing basis and doesn't need a dry or wet dock. A dry dock of nine days isn't long enough for and remodeling or construction. Sometimes, MUTS is updated. It's mostly maintenance that most passengers won't notice.

Pretty educated guess. The hull will be scraped and repainted with marine anti-fouling paint, the propellers cleaned and polished, the thrusters cleaned, engines maintained, electronics updated, public areas and cabins deep cleaned, etc. Carpeting is replaced on an ongoing basis and doesn't need a dry or wet dock. A dry dock of nine days isn't long enough for and remodeling or construction. Sometimes, MUTS is updated. It's mostly maintenance that most passengers won't notice.

Oh....that's too bad. We live in the bay area and was looking forward to a major refurb this December ... which they told us was going to happen when we were onboard last December. You make much more sense, though ... 9 days is hardly enough time to do all that needs to be done on this ship.

It may be much ado about nothing to some ... but we have come to expect a well maintained ship for the prices we are paying.

Don't get me wrong, there were some aspects of my latest cruise on her that were fantastic ... mostly the staff / crew. And ... I did like that little seating area out by the back pool. But, I just wasn't impressed with the overall cleanliness or maintenance or lack of it ....I should say.

. news about leaks/buckets are much ado about nothing in my opinion

If you have concerns, book a cabin anywhere but aft... as I suspect that is where there are some problems.

Happy cruising.

We were in an aft stateroom on a higher deck on our last cruise on the Grand. It didn't ruin our cruise by any means, but kind of a pain constantly having to weave between fans and workmen. This time we are more midship and a couple of decks lower so hopefully it will be a non issue this time.

In any case I know we will love our cruise - haven't ever disembarked wishing I had stayed home. :):)