Palma de Mallorca - DIY?

Hi, I figured I would report back. From the cruise port we ended up going to Palma Nova. They charged us Euro 30 going (no Meter) and Euro 20 (metered) coming back. Fairly Quick ride. Less than 15 minutes. Taxi stand right next to the beach. There were two options for chairs.. Right and left side with people lying on towels in the middle. Euro 15 for 2 chairs and small Tiki type umbrella. You were able to rent a bicycle car with a small slide for the water. I did see some people on banana boats but they must have picked them up down the shore. Could also see Magaluf resorts in the distance. I mean the beach was fine. Scenic, water warm. The kids loved it and had a blast but I personally was looking for a cushion lounge chair with food and drink service. There was a small beach restaurant on the promenade called Campino Beach I was able to get a wine and some food. Some people in our party ended up across the street at a Pizzeria on the corner. Large delicious pizzas.[/quote

Lesson to be learnt here make sure the driver switches on the meter !! the lounge chair and beach bar service cannot be found in Palma Nova, this beach is for mass market tours,

Hi, I figured I would report back. From the cruise port we ended up going to Palma Nova. They charged us Euro 30 going (no Meter) and Euro 20 (metered) coming back. Fairly Quick ride. Less than 15 minutes. Taxi stand right next to the beach. There were two options for chairs.. Right and left side with people lying on towels in the middle. Euro 15 for 2 chairs and small Tiki type umbrella. You were able to rent a bicycle car with a small slide for the water. I did see some people on banana boats but they must have picked them up down the shore. Could also see Magaluf resorts in the distance. I mean the beach was fine. Scenic, water warm. The kids loved it and had a blast but I personally was looking for a cushion lounge chair with food and drink service. There was a small beach restaurant on the promenade called Campino Beach I was able to get a wine and some food. Some people in our party ended up across the street at a Pizzeria on the corner. Large delicious pizzas.[/quote

Lesson to be learnt here make sure the driver switches on the meter !! the lounge chair and beach bar service cannot be found in Palma Nova, this beach is for mass market tours,

Right but why do the taxi drivers as someone else suggested "scam" us. To give a bit more info we were 8 people traveling with children taking 2 taxi's. We asked how much and they said Euro30. I should question him why the meter is not on while I'm in the taxi with my 3 children? I figured that must have been ok because when I was originally planning to go to Magaluf via pre-booked taxi service that had quoted me Euro130 RT for a party of 8. Palma Nova is a beautiful beach and we did have a good day but I dont see anywhere mentioned here its for "mass market tours". We were looking for something a little more upscale.

Right but why do the taxi drivers as someone else suggested "scam" us. To give a bit more info we were 8 people traveling with children taking 2 taxi's. We asked how much and they said Euro30. I should question him why the meter is not on while I'm in the taxi with my 3 children? I figured that must have been ok because when I was originally planning to go to Magaluf via pre-booked taxi service that had quoted me Euro130 RT for a party of 8. Palma Nova is a beautiful beach and we did have a good day but I dont see anywhere mentioned here its for "mass market tours". We were looking for something a little more upscale.

Sorry you had a bad experience!! I did recommend a more up market beach in one of my last posts, also am including taxi fares finder so that no more CC members are taken for a ride.

Taxis sometimes take you around the houses if you are not familiar with the town !!

https://www.seemallorca.com/beaches/illetas-beach-palma-de-mallorca-illetes-(beach-resort)-664304

https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Palma-de-Majorca-Spain&from=Cruise+Terminal%2C+Palma+de+Mallorca%2C+Estacio+Maritima+2%2C+Avinguda+de+Gabriel+Roca%2C+Palma%2C+Spain&to=Palma+NOVA+Beach%2C+Passeig+Mar%2C+Palmanova%2C+Spain&fromCoord=39.5528972,2.6266114999999672&toCoord=39.5239182,2.5386356000000205

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! My ship is in Palma on Nov 3 from 1p -8p. I was hoping to find a place to snorkel or a boat trip with snorkeling; but it looks like end of October is end of season for all of this. Is it just too cold in the water then or just not enough tourists? If it's warm enough, I will just go to a beach and snorkel from the shore with my own equipment. For Roger or anyone there at that time of the year, what do you think? Should I go taste wine instead?

Hi Howard,

I would defiantly take the first one , it is a much better insight in to the beauty of the island as the road from Valldemossa to Soller is a lovely drive and Soller is a pretty Majorcan village.

I was planning to do a DIY walking tour of Palma similar to the tour below.

https://www.gpsmycity.com/tours/city-orientation-walk-6234.html

However the first tour you talk about above from a prior post on this page sounds good as well. We are in port from 7am to 5 pm. If I abbreviate the walking tour of Palma, can I take both tours?

I have talked to a person who did a similar Palma tour and they loved it. That is why I was thinking about staying in Palma for the entire day. Now I am rethinking my plan. Any comments are welcomed.

Hello! My ship is in Palma on Nov 3 from 1p -8p. I was hoping to find a place to snorkel or a boat trip with snorkeling; but it looks like end of October is end of season for all of this. Is it just too cold in the water then or just not enough tourists? If it's warm enough, I will just go to a beach and snorkel from the shore with my own equipment. For Roger or anyone there at that time of the year, what do you think? Should I go taste wine instead?

Water will be cold , but people swim from my beach all the year , go to Illetas beach where there is an island and a rocky shoreline within 50 yds of the beach wit plenty of fish.

I was planning to do a DIY walking tour of Palma similar to the tour below.

https://www.gpsmycity.com/tours/city-orientation-walk-6234.html

However the first tour you talk about above from a prior post on this page sounds good as well. We are in port from 7am to 5 pm. If I abbreviate the walking tour of Palma, can I take both tours?

I have talked to a person who did a similar Palma tour and they loved it. That is why I was thinking about staying in Palma for the entire day. Now I am rethinking my plan. Any comments are welcomed.

You can do both tours , it will be a complete over site of the area and you can pack everything in to the day you should be back in Palma around 2 pm to start the walking tour as it says that the the first tour gets back to Palma in 3 hrs.

Personally I think I would do the tour to Valldemoosa you will then be able see as much of the city as you have time for,but keep in mind you will not be able to spend long visits to any of the sites.

Water will be cold , but people swim from my beach all the year , go to Illetas beach where there is an island and a rocky shoreline within 50 yds of the beach wit plenty of fish.

Thanks Roger B!

if the weather is good, I'll go to the beach and if it's raining, I'll go drink wine!

Is it possible to walk from the cruise port to the Cathedral? How long would it take? We are only docked there from 1pm to 8pm
It is a 40/50mi walk to the Cathedral if you are docked at the paseo maritimo , If you are docked at the new cruise terminal it will take 75 mins.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

Hi Roger,

We have been to Palma before and for our one day October 15th visit we are not interested in a beach or a tour. We plan to take a taxi to Mercado de l’Olivar. From there just stroll the main shopping streets back towards the main Cathedral. From a quick map search I followed carrer de Sant Miguel to Plaça Major and then Carrer de Colon towards the Cathedral. Any other route suggestions. Probably should spend time exploring Passeig des Born also....any other main shopping streets you suggest? Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by martyap

Hi Roger,

We have been to Palma before and for our one day October 15th visit we are not interested in a beach or a tour. We plan to take a taxi to Mercado de l’Olivar. From there just stroll the main shopping streets back towards the main Cathedral. From a quick map search I followed carrer de Sant Miguel to Plaça Major and then Carrer de Colon towards the Cathedral. Any other route suggestions. Probably should spend time exploring Passeig des Born also....any other main shopping streets you suggest? Thank you!

Hi, When you exit the Placa Major you will see an ice cream shop in front of you keep to the right and go about a 100 yds until you come to another ice cream shop on your right turn here and follow the steps down.

You will come in at the top end of the Passeig Born cross the road and you will see C and A on your right this is Jaume 3 (nice shops ).

Walk to the top of this street where you will meet Passeig Mallorca turn left and walk about 100 yds and you will see the museum Es Baluard (well worth a visit with a great view of the bay of Palma from the Restaurant) turn left here and there are many small alleys leading to La Lonja (many tapas bars and restaurants) you have walked parallel to the sea front and will be opposite the Cathedral.

Cross the Passeg Born to reach the old town.

https://www.esbaluard.org/en/visit/

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/palma-old-town/

Thanks....does Palma still have signs directing to various streets/sights? I followed Google Maps and I couldn’t quite see where Born intersected with Juame 3. I am sure I have been in both and I believe el Corte Inglés is on Juame 3. Also, can you get a taxi almost anywhere or are there ranks in specific areas to get us back to the port.

It has been years but I remember being there around All Saints Day and flower stalls in the center of Born. Also remember the steps leading down from Plaça Major and my wife says she bought something at a craft fair on the Plaça.......has to be 10 years

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Roger,

We will be there on Monday on the Constellation. We first thought we would shop a little for Majorica pearls nd then go to the beach. However, it seems like it will rain. We researched a bit more and see that the castle and the palace are closed on Mondays. Have already need to the caves. There are two of us, early 60s so not interested in hiking, etc.

In your country, when they predict rain is it usually all day or intermittent or ??? I believe you have recommended the store Joyeria Abolengo up thread. Is this where you recommend I go for Majorica pearls?

How would we best get there? If the weather looks good in the am, we may try the Illetas beach and then go to the shop. Will that work? What is your recomendation?

Thanks very much.

Thanks....does Palma still have signs directing to various streets/sights? I followed Google Maps and I couldn’t quite see where Born intersected with Juame 3. I am sure I have been in both and I believe el Corte Inglés is on Juame 3. Also, can you get a taxi almost anywhere or are there ranks in specific areas to get us back to the port.

It has been years but I remember being there around All Saints Day and flower stalls in the center of Born. Also remember the steps leading down from Plaça Major and my wife says she bought something at a craft fair on the Plaça.......has to be 10 years

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes there are signs directing you all over Palma, The flower stalls are in Les Rambles. You can get a taxi anywhere on the street.

Cort Ingles is at the top of Jaume 3 and if you turn left at the top of the road after Cort Ingles you will be on the route I suggested.

Hi Roger,

We will be there on Monday on the Constellation. We first thought we would shop a little for Majorica pearls nd then go to the beach. However, it seems like it will rain. We researched a bit more and see that the castle and the palace are closed on Mondays. Have already need to the caves. There are two of us, early 60s so not interested in hiking, etc.

In your country, when they predict rain is it usually all day or intermittent or ??? I believe you have recommended the store Joyeria Abolengo up thread. Is this where you recommend I go for Majorica pearls?

How would we best get there? If the weather looks good in the am, we may try the Illetas beach and then go to the shop. Will that work? What is your recomendation?

Thanks very much.

Well it has rained all day today and rain is forecast for tomorrow , Monday should be O.K Illetas is in a micro climate and it might be raining elsewhere but sunny in Illetas.

Go to the town in the morning the shops will be open and then go to the beach if the weather is O.K.

Get the No 3 bus it stops in the town at the top of the Passieg Born outside C.and A until you get to the last stop on the route and you will be at Illetas Beach.