Palma de Mallorca - DIY?

We'll be visiting Palma on a Wednesday in November and haven't been there before. The city photos are just beautiful. So far, we think we'd like to see:

- Cathedral(le Seu)

- Palau March

- Es Baluard, and lunch on the terrace

- Can Forteza Rey

- Fundacio La Caixa

- if time, a local wines shop

Is there a logical route to use for these sites and would it be walkable? Is it possible to enjoy the sites in a day without being too rushed? Thanks for any suggestions.

We'll be visiting Palma on a Wednesday in November and haven't been there before. The city photos are just beautiful. So far, we think we'd like to see:

- Cathedral(le Seu)

- Palau March

- Es Baluard, and lunch on the terrace

- Can Forteza Rey

- Fundacio La Caixa

- if time, a local wines shop

Is there a logical route to use for these sites and would it be walkable? Is it possible to enjoy the sites in a day without being too rushed? Thanks for any suggestions.

What good plan for an educational day out in Palma, It is easy as Palma is very pedestrian friendly and you will have plenty of time to do all.

I like your idea of lunch on the terrace at Es Baluard , I would start at the Cathedral mark your stops on google maps and I think the order you have put your stops in are good anyway.

Try to get the Mercat Oliver market in as well if you can where you will find your wine shop there it is on the route.

I will try this plan out myself before October as I have not been to a couple of the museums or had lunch on the terrace at Es Baluard and keep you posted.

Hi Roger,

Wonder if you can help. What is the closest bus stop number near Ampliacion Muelle Poniente Norte?

Thanks,

Peggy

On the enclosed map see No 12 this the point where the Cruise ship shuttle and tour bus's stop, it is right opposite the Cathedral, if you walk across the road there is the central av Borne , the Hoho Bus's goes from there .

Not sure where you want to go to if you tell me where you want to go from the drop off I can try to give advice.

http://www.portsdebalears.com/es/palma/instalaciones

Thank you for all of this excellent information, Roger~

We want to see as much as we can on our port day and usually rent a car. Is this an option by the port area, and if so, do you have a company that you can recommend?

Thank you!

Yvonne

Thank you for all of this excellent information, Roger~

We want to see as much as we can on our port day and usually rent a car. Is this an option by the port area, and if so, do you have a company that you can recommend?

Thank you!

Yvonne

Try ARASH car hire in Portals Nous, I always used them before I bought my own car ,all they need is a copy of your driving licence, they will leave the car in the car park at the port with a locked box on the window with the keys, all you have to do is return it to the same place and put the keys back in the box.

https://www.arashrentacar.com/

Roger,

I have read that Cala Major beach is closer to port but you have not recommended it that I can see. Any reason why not?

The No 3 bus goes to Illetas beach , yes you have to pay for sun loungers , no water skiing , there are pedalo's and paddle boards.

You would need to go to Palma Nova beach to find more water sport activities, If you have small children I would choose Illetas beach ,very safe sandy beach with shallow water.

https://www.seemallorca.com/beaches/illetas-beach-palma-de-mallorca-illetes-(beach-resort)-664304

Try ARASH car hire in Portals Nous, I always used them before I bought my own car ,all they need is a copy of your driving licence, they will leave the car in the car park at the port with a locked box on the window with the keys, all you have to do is return it to the same place and put the keys back in the box.

https://www.arashrentacar.com/

Thank you so much! That is perfect!

I am going to keep reading this thread. You are so helpful! I hope you know how much t is appreciated. :)

Roger,

I have read that Cala Major beach is closer to port but you have not recommended it that I can see. Any reason why not?

Yes you are right the beach at Cala Mayor beach is slightly nearer the port ,my reason for my not recommending it is mainly the facilities and also nearly every afternoon through out the summer months the wind comes up and this beach will have waves.

My preference is Illetas beach which you have 3 separate small beaches so you will find a very still sea which ever way the wind blows, also there is a very nice beach bar Las Terraces.

It is only 5/10 mins between Cala Mayor and Illetas.

https://www.seemallorca.com/beaches/illetas-beach-palma-de-mallorca-illetes-(beach-resort)-664304

https://www.seemallorca.com/beaches/cala-mayor-beach-palma-de-mallorca-cala-major-(beach-resort)-664263

• 3 weeks later...
What good plan for an educational day out in Palma, It is easy as Palma is very pedestrian friendly and you will have plenty of time to do all.

I like your idea of lunch on the terrace at Es Baluard , I would start at the Cathedral mark your stops on google maps and I think the order you have put your stops in are good anyway.

Try to get the Mercat Oliver market in as well if you can where you will find your wine shop there it is on the route.

I will try this plan out myself before October as I have not been to a couple of the museums or had lunch on the terrace at Es Baluard and keep you posted.

Hi Roger,

Thanks for all your posts, this thread has been so helpful and informative!

We will be there on the first Saturday in November arriving at 1pm. Will many places be closed for the season in Palma? We'd like to go to La Parada Del Mar, Beliver Castle, and then maybe follow some of QuattroRomeo's itinerary given that we'd like to be back at our ship by 7pm.

Can you please suggest the best means of transportation (taxi, bus, etc) for us if our ship, the NCL Epic, will be docked at Muelle Peraires, Estacion Maritima 1, Poniente Sur? Thanks in advance!

Hi Roger,

Thanks for all your posts, this thread has been so helpful and informative!

We will be there on the first Saturday in November arriving at 1pm. Will many places be closed for the season in Palma? We'd like to go to La Parada Del Mar, Beliver Castle, and then maybe follow some of QuattroRomeo's itinerary given that we'd like to be back at our ship by 7pm.

Can you please suggest the best means of transportation (taxi, bus, etc) for us if our ship, the NCL Epic, will be docked at Muelle Peraires, Estacion Maritima 1, Poniente Sur? Thanks in advance!

Its a pity you are restricted by time but most possible ,Taxi is your best bet to get everywhere,

Parada del Mar Open 1pm -3.30 pm 10mins and 10 eu

Belver castle 10 mins from P del M keep taxi as you will only need 20 mins max and you might not find a taxi from there then go into Palma 15 mins.

you should be back in Palma by 3.30 pm which will give you plenty of time for some of the rest.

http://www.portsdebalears.com/sites/default/files/Plano%20Palma.pdf

Its a pity you are restricted by time but most possible ,Taxi is your best bet to get everywhere,

Parada del Mar Open 1pm -3.30 pm 10mins and 10 eu

Belver castle 10 mins from P del M keep taxi as you will only need 20 mins max and you might not find a taxi from there then go into Palma 15 mins.

you should be back in Palma by 3.30 pm which will give you plenty of time for some of the rest.

http://www.portsdebalears.com/sites/default/files/Plano%20Palma.pdf

Thanks Roger!! I had a notion of heading all the way out to Portocristo, but realized quickly that I had no time for all that.

Hi Roger,

I will be staying two days in Palma at the Santa Clara Urban on April 5, before returning to Barcelona to board the Riviera Cruise ship. Can you please give me suggestions on what to see and where to eat? Thanks so much for your time.

Maryellen

Hi Roger,

I will be staying two days in Palma at the Santa Clara Urban on April 5, before returning to Barcelona to board the Riviera Cruise ship. Can you please give me suggestions on what to see and where to eat? Thanks so much for your time.

Maryellen

Hi Maryellen ,If you look back a couple of pages in this thread you will find my restaurant selection also reading back you will find a host of things to do.

I suggest one day out from Palma (train to Perto Soller )and the other around Palma.

I am boarding Rivera today and getting off in Palma, If you want something different let me know

• 2 months later...
Yes you are right the beach at Cala Mayor beach is slightly nearer the port ,my reason for my not recommending it is mainly the facilities and also nearly every afternoon through out the summer months the wind comes up and this beach will have waves.

My preference is Illetas beach which you have 3 separate small beaches so you will find a very still sea which ever way the wind blows, also there is a very nice beach bar Las Terraces.

It is only 5/10 mins between Cala Mayor and Illetas.

https://www.seemallorca.com/beaches/cala-mayor-beach-palma-de-mallorca-cala-major-(beach-resort)-664263

Hi Roger

What is the best way to get to this beach as I have an elderly mum with me who can't walk for too long? And how long would it take if we get a taxi ? Thanks

Hi Roger

What is the best way to get to this beach as I have an elderly mum with me who can't walk for too long? And how long would it take if we get a taxi ? Thanks

Hi, Best to take a taxi, to Illetas beach, it will drop the at the beach Club (La Terrazas) it has a nice restaurant (not expensive),and plenty of seating and also beach beds

.https://www.abc-mallorca.com/las-terrazas-beach-club/

Hi Roger

Forgot to say that Cala Mayor beach is about 10 mins from the port and will cost 12/15 euros.,Illetas beach is about the same time and is 15/20 euros

Hi, Best to take a taxi, to Illetas beach, it will drop the at the beach Club (La Terrazas) it has a nice restaurant (not expensive),and plenty of seating and also beach beds

.https://www.abc-mallorca.com/las-terrazas-beach-club/

This beach is awesome! I've been there last year when I had a land vacation in Mallorca. However, how easy is it is to find another taxi back to port? I remember that there is a bus stop close buy (which I used) but i don't remember seeing taxis waiting around. Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Priscila

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This beach is awesome! I've been there last year when I had a land vacation in Mallorca. However, how easy is it is to find another taxi back to port? I remember that there is a bus stop close buy (which I used) but i don't remember seeing taxis waiting around. Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Priscila

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes there is a bus stop right by the beach and they run every 8 mins the No 3 bus will take you to with in sight of the ship and is only about a 5 min walk back if you get off the bus at the stop after Porto Pi .

The taxi rank is about 5 mins walk away , but you will have no problem getting one as the restaurant will call one for you. .

Hello Roger.

I have been on vacation in Palma for several times (lost count how many times i was there), stayed at Garonda hotel in Playa de Palma.

This year our cruise that we are taking in two weeks will dock in Palma. The boat docks at 9AM and departs at 7PM. Since my aunt is going with us, she visited the city two years ago on another cruise, this time she wanted to visit the well known beaches and water of Palma.

So we thought in two possibilities for the beaches. Playa de Palma (it is normally were we go on vacation in Palma de Mallorca) and Illetas Beach (we never went to). Since our plan is to spend the morning at the beach, have lunch near the beach (my parents are questioning in lunching at the boat, but i'm trying to convince them to eat near the beach) and after lunch return to the boat. How long does it take to get to both beaches? Which one do you prefer? How do we get to both beaches, Bus or Taxi? Is there any expenses we need to ponder?

Thanks in advanced.

Hello Roger.

I have been on vacation in Palma for several times (lost count how many times i was there), stayed at Garonda hotel in Playa de Palma.

This year our cruise that we are taking in two weeks will dock in Palma. The boat docks at 9AM and departs at 7PM. Since my aunt is going with us, she visited the city two years ago on another cruise, this time she wanted to visit the well known beaches and water of Palma.

So we thought in two possibilities for the beaches. Playa de Palma (it is normally were we go on vacation in Palma de Mallorca) and Illetas Beach (we never went to). Since our plan is to spend the morning at the beach, have lunch near the beach (my parents are questioning in lunching at the boat, but i'm trying to convince them to eat near the beach) and after lunch return to the boat. How long does it take to get to both beaches? Which one do you prefer? How do we get to both beaches, Bus or Taxi? Is there any expenses we need to ponder?

Thanks in advanced.

Playa de Palma is further from the port (40 mins and 30 euros in taxi) and is very busy with cheap holiday tourists,

Illetas beach (15mins and 15/20 euros taxi)i and is easily reached by No 3 bus (2 euros) far nicer and much nearer.

There are a choice of restaurants :

https://www.seemallorca.com/beachclubs/las-terrazas-beach-club-illetes-beach-resort-666498

Or if you want to really go up market

https://www.purobeach.com/en/beach-club-illetas/

Edited by roger b
Missed question

Hi Roger.

Thank you for the information. We are discussing, which beach we will be heading, but thank you for the information. We are inclined to go to Illetas to try something different. Also it is closer from the port.

I was seeing the route through google maps and he says it takes 1h32 minutes to get there, taking bus Nº 3, while you say it takes 15 minutes. Now i'm confused. :) sorry.

https://www.google.pt/maps/dir/Puerto+Palma/Beach+Illetes,+Passeig+Illetes,+54B,+07181+Illetes,+Illes+Balears,+Spain/@39.5452148,2.6012014,15z/data=!4m15!4m14!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0x9f844e95da79384f!2m2!1d2.6309513!2d39.5529975!1m5!1m1!1s0x12978e7713776b3f:0x6ed068b6befc06ba!2m2!1d2.5905459!2d39.5369125!3e3!5i1

Edited by Grade